• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I was about to ask how the PC version was until I read above there's no support for the 360 controler.... never mind.

Amir0x said:
You're saying that the Big Daddy remains overpowered for about, say, 5 hours of playtime of multiplayer. Wow?

And even then, it's simply not true. Any collaborative effort with a team of -any- level with result in a Big Daddy dead in seconds, not minutes. Any Big Daddy, no matter how talented, can be taken out in a breeze provided your team works with you. Big Daddies are slow, lumbering and their gun overheats after about seven to ten shots. And his stomp has a recharge time. If you attack like a pack of wolves, like you should be doing, it's loltastically easy.

And that's how it should be. A Big Daddy should not be a 1 on 1 opportunity (even though I managed to get the trial where I beat a Big Daddy by myself lol), it should take a team effort to take it down. And as it stands, I've already taken down over 70 Big Daddies in the various matches I've played. That is just the Big Daddies I've had the kill on, not the near endless times we've decimated the Big Daddy with the rest of my team and I didn't get kill shot.
My buddy kills Big Daddy's by himself by just staying directly behind them as they try to move around to face him.
So far, he's been doing quite well!

Really hope they try and fixup multiplayer somewhat, the "jumpyness" of it all is starting to grind me. Its like the person your aiming at sometimes teleports left or right and you have to swing your aim too much to keep up (like lag, but not, its like it skipped a bit of information where the player is).

Amir0x

Banned
dallow_bg said:
I was about to ask how the PC version was until I read above there's no support for the 360 controler.... never mind.

My buddy kills Big Daddy's by himself by just staying directly behind them as they try to move around to face him.
So far, he's been doing quite well!

Yup, I do that all the time. Most of the time, at the very least I knock off 60% of the Big Daddies health. You have to have a good team working to defend the Big Daddy as well, since he's an integral part of Little Sister defense.

RavenHawk

Brainboy said:
Ugh, I seem to have run into a pretty annoying bug. Near the end of Pauper's Drop, one of the 'dramatic event' songs keeps looping over and over. Very very distracting. Any way to get out of it, bar getting to the end of the level or reloading a save from a while ago?

Same thing happened to me twice. The only way I got through it was to revert back to a previous save and then not save until I exited that level. In the end I ran 4 different saves and manually saved every 10-15 minutes (I had 2 corrupt saves due to the game locking up - 360 version installed to HD).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Last night while playing some Capture the Sister matches a very weird bug happened. Basically, when I died I wouldn't resurrect until there was about 10 seconds left in the match. I would just sit there looking through my lifeless corpse as people were running around. Has this happened to anyone else?

nilbog21

Banned
i finally got into the single player a few days ago and so far i must say i am really impressed

im not even gona use weapons, straight up DRILL DASH PEOPLE IN TEH FACE

can someone explain the harvesting to me?
Also why is my mouse so fucked up in the menu ?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
nilbog21 said:
can someone explain the harvesting to me?

Edit: put spoiler tags because I'm not sure if this constitutes one

Once you've adopted a little sister, there will be specific bodies laying around the level that can be harvested for bonus Adam. Once you find a body (the little sister can guide you to them), you set up your defenses and set her down to harvest. Once she starts, you will be attacked by splicers trying to interrupt the little sister which will reduce the amount of Adam you get from the body.

Speaking of Capture the Little Sister/Killing Big Daddies, what weapon/plasmid combos do you guys use for offense/defense?

For defense I use Bolt/Geyser and surround the sister. I use the Nail Gun, and Homing Grenades. The Nail Gun kills quickly and works wonders with Bolt. The Homing Grenades can be used on opponents from far away, either scaring them away, or weakening them enough for an easy kill once they get closer.

On offense I use Houdini/Aero Dash. I don't know why, but Houdini is really good once you have the sister. The sister is supposedly visible, but that didn't stop multiple enemies from walking right past me once I had her in my grasp. I use the same weapons as I do on defense since they seem to work well.

JudgeN

Anyone else FPS capped at 41 during multiplayer? Tried it out today and I wasn't impressed at all, was laggy boring bullshit.

nilbog21

Banned
RiccochetJ said:
Edit: put spoiler tags because I'm not sure if this constitutes one

Once you've adopted a little sister, there will be specific bodies laying around the level that can be harvested for bonus Adam. Once you find a body (the little sister can guide you to them), you set up your defenses and set her down to harvest. Once she starts, you will be attacked by splicers trying to interrupt the little sister which will reduce the amount of Adam you get from the body.

after that, do u stick her in the vent or do u harvest her? wats upside? o_o

nilbog21 said:
after that, do u stick her in the vent or do u harvest her? wats upside? o_o

You lead her to a vent and either rescue or harvest her. The upside to harvesting is more ADAM (at the time, not sure about overall). The upside to rescuing is occasional gifts from the sisters. Generally ammo/tonics/ADAM.

gkryhewy

Here's a better pic of the new LE faceplate.

newwst008.jpg

Wiggum2007

Just beat it, thought the ending section dragged on a bit much, but the ending itself was pretty touching,
got what I believe is the neutral ending, chose to sacrifice myself so that Eleanor wouldn't end up like me.
Overall, both gameplay and story-wise I feel like the game was kind of an unnecessary sequel; the gameplay was tweaked and improved but overall not a huge step forward, and the story kept me interested enough but really didn't add anything substantial to the BioShock universe. While I don't regret the purchase, for a sequel that came out 2 1/2 years after the original it just does not seem like much of a step forward.

scitek

Why is it that a game like Red Faction Guerrilla runs at an average of ~50 FPS on my PC and 30 FPS on consoles, but Bioshock 2 runs at slightly below 30 FPS on consoles, and over 100 FPS on my PC?

Amir0x

Banned
boy they really need to get this Bioshock 2 freezing under control with a patch quick. All three of the party I was playing with tonight, including me, had their 360 freeze at multiple different times during multiplayer. Kiiiinda unacceptable.

ruxtpin

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Here's a better pic of the new LE faceplate.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/mishimakazama/newwst008.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I just ordered myself one of those. Can't wait. I've got a Forza plate on one on my 360s, but I'm thinking about switching it out with the Bioshock 2 one when it arrives. =D

dyergram

scitek said:
Why is it that a game like Red Faction Guerrilla runs at an average of ~50 FPS on my PC and 30 FPS on consoles, but Bioshock 2 runs at slightly below 30 FPS on consoles, and over 100 FPS on my PC?

PCs run the unreal engine real well and THQ pc versions tend to be a bit rubbish basically. I would imagine the red faction engine is doing more stuff tbf.

scitek

dyergram said:
PCs run the unreal engine real well and THQ pc versions tend to be a bit rubbish basically. I would imagine the red faction engine is doing more stuff tbf.

Yeah, I can go from the highest settings to the lowest in RFG and I only get ~20FPS gain.:lol

I got a strange glitch for Bioshock 2. Loaded up my game save last night and noticed that I'm unable to use any of the firearms I've picked up. All the guns are greyed out. So now the only way to progress is by using plasmids and the drill. It's not a game-breaker (actually it's somewhat of a fun challenge only using the drill and plasmids) but it's still odd. Anyone else have this experience?

Miburou

The Wise Old Man said:
I got a strange glitch for Bioshock 2. Loaded up my game save last night and noticed that I'm unable to use any of the firearms I've picked up. All the guns are greyed out. So now the only way to progress is by using plasmids and the drill. It's not a game-breaker (actually it's somewhat of a fun challenge only using the drill and plasmids) but it's still odd. Anyone else have this experience?

Are you sure you didn't equip the tonic that disables all weapons except the drill but makes eve consumption much slower? Just checking.

Miburou said:
Are you sure you didn't equip the tonic that disables all weapons except the drill but makes eve consumption much slower? Just checking.

D'oh! Hahahahha... I might have equipped that accidentally... I hadn't been keeping a keen eye on my tonics really. Lemme check tonight.

That was strange, just played an MP game.... and my frame rate was unlocked (maybe i was host ?). Damn it looked better. Won the round, then it crashed :( This game also needs host migration.....

Ridley327

Hopefully, they also have a netcode optimization planned for the same patch; removing the frame lock is a good first step, but it needs some love in the other department for it to be a complete success.

Amir0x

Banned
Rank 414 in Total Adam, rank 234 in Total Kills. Go me!

I can't believe how much I like this multiplayer. Even the near constant freezing isn't keeping me away. PLEASE FIX THE FREEZING 2k Marin and/or Digital Extremes!

Amir0x said:
I can't believe how much I like this multiplayer.

Me neither. The ability to combine plasmids/guns/tonics/upgrades allows for so many potential strategies/playstyles. I like how one splicer can potentially take on several splicers by himself, but doing so requires a good strategy, and the right plasmids/weapons/tonics. You have to keep track of what the opponent has.

Oh and speaking of tonics, what are you using? Right now I have Eve Saver, Faster Health Recharge, and Metabolic Eve. Im too scared to try the other tonics. Health recharge seems necessary, and it works great with the Houdini Plasmid since you can usually hide, recharge, and then fight back. Eve Saver seems necessary because plasmids can really turn a fight around. I could give up Metabolic Eve, but with Houdini I can constantly make use of the Eve it gives me.

Amir0x

Banned
Obsessed said:
Me neither. The ability to combine plasmids/guns/tonics/upgrades allows for so many potential strategies/playstyles. I like how one splicer can potentially take on several splicers by himself, but doing so requires a good strategy, and the right plasmids/weapons/tonics. You have to keep track of what the opponent has.

Oh and speaking of tonics, what are you using? Right now I have Eve Saver, Faster Health Recharge, and Metabolic Eve. Im too scared to try the other tonics. Health recharge seems necessary, and it works great with the Houdini Plasmid since you can usually hide, recharge, and then fight back. Eve Saver seems necessary because plasmids can really turn a fight around. I could give up Metabolic Eve, but with Houdini I can constantly make use of the Eve it gives me.

I just like how fucking perfectly balanced multiplayer is. It is the opposite of Call of Duty Modern Warfare: it's a balls-to-the-wall arcade shooter, with virtually every aspect of it balanced to the fuckin' tits.

If you got a gun ability that increases damage, it'll fire slower. If you're fighting someone who is of higher rank than you, get a kill and research him: you'll gain a bonus damage against him, leveling the playing field.

And it feels right too. It's got a absolutely fantastic flow.

I really can't believe Bioshock multiplayer is this good. The freezing is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Unacceptable.

Dyno

I'm impressed that my second playthrough is very different than my first. The maps are big enough to take other routes to get to the objectives. I'm also carrying Little Sisters/Collecting Adam at different points throughout the level so the strategy and protection fights are completely different. At least for two playthroughs the game totally delievers.

Scarecrow

Got to level 40 last night. Didn't expect an epilogue movie, but that was pretty neat. Only other achievement I need is max research. I might do a quick, easy mode runthrough to try to get it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've beat the game and was surprised that
Tenenbaum just disappear after you meet her in the beginning. I was expecting her to be of more help. And poor Delta never survive, no matter what kind of ending you get. :( I was hoping we could actually see his face, see if he was as mutilated as the splicers. And also, what is happening with Sofia Lamb with the good ending? Eleanor saves her from drowning and she is no where to be seen once Delta/Eleanor/little sisters are on the surface

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Also, another question...
if, instead of being all nice and save all sisters and Grace, i harvest all of them and kill all 3 special characters, will Eleanor act differently during the game? If i'm the "nice Delta", near the end, she wakes up the little sisters so they can join us and she's all "i love you daddy, i wont let mom hurt you, dont give up". Is she killing the little sisters in the orphanage and acting all evil in the radio if i'm the "bad Delta"?
I might do a 2nd run just to see those differences, if they do exist.

So I'm late and nobody cares anyway, but I simply must say how impressed I am with this game. It is *much* more enjoyable than the first game was for me. Granted I'm only in like the fourth level, but everything feels much more solid. The rivet gun feels amazing for something with such a shitty ass crosshair, and the game feels legitimately difficult. Lots upon lots of near-death encounters so far, and the ambush nature of the big sisters captures the fear that the big daddies should have fucking had in the first game if they weren't turned into shambling passive nothings after the first damn encounter.

More importantly though, the storyline feels compelling in a way I don't remember the first being. The tapes are less "Whooo Welcome To Rapture" and more of a constructive narrative. The conflict between Ryan and Lamp is also more directed than Fontaine, and there's none of the first game's annoyingly sympathetic take on Randism. Also there's the prospect of Tenenbaum FUCKING DYING LIKE SHE SHOULD HAVE IN THE FIRST GAME, which automatically invalidates anyone's argument that the game didn't need a sequel. It probably won't happen, but still.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Son of Godzilla said:
So I'm late and nobody cares anyway, but I simply must say how impressed I am with this game. It is *much* more enjoyable than the first game was for me. Granted I'm only in like the fourth level, but everything feels much more solid. The rivet gun feels amazing for something with such a shitty ass crosshair, and the game feels legitimately difficult. Lots upon lots of near-death encounters so far, and the ambush nature of the big sisters captures the fear that the big daddies should have fucking had in the first game if they weren't turned into shambling passive nothings after the first damn encounter.

More importantly though, the storyline feels compelling in a way I don't remember the first being. The tapes are less "Whooo Welcome To Rapture" and more of a constructive narrative. The conflict between Ryan and Lamp is also more directed than Fontaine, and there's none of the first game's annoyingly sympathetic take on Randism. Also there's the prospect of Tenenbaum FUCKING DYING LIKE SHE SHOULD HAVE IN THE FIRST GAME, which automatically invalidates anyone's argument that the game didn't need a sequel. It probably won't happen, but still.

Wait, why do you think she died?

I don't really think this is a spoiler, but
she never shows up again in the game for whatever reason, but she doesn't die in the scene you see her.

Just started playing Bioshock 2...wtf how could they get so much wrong? My main gripe first and foremost is lack of controller support. The first game had it right out of the box, focusing on kb+m is not a reason to not include it its not like the game controls any differently from the first one, and the kb+m controls suck balls anyway its wayyy to sensitive. Second is the god awful textures, people where right about this it definitly does look worse than Bioshock 1. They have greatly improved the faces though so that's good I guess, when I first saw Tenenbaum in 2 I was like "wtf when did she get good looking?" :lol
Thirldly, the sound effects are piss weak, that might be my main gripe playing as a Big Daddy. The drill sounds like a wussy fucking mosquito and the rivet gun has pretty much no sound at all. All these weapons should have really rusty, meaty sounds which they don't and I was really disappointed by that.
Despite that I'm liking the game still.

I should be doing hw said:
Just started playing Bioshock 2...wtf how could they get so much wrong? My main gripe first and foremost is lack of controller support. The first game had it right out of the box, focusing on kb+m is not a reason to not include it its not like the game controls any differently from the first one, and the kb+m controls suck balls anyway its wayyy to sensitive. Second is the god awful textures, people where right about this it definitly does look worse than Bioshock 1. They have greatly improved the faces though so that's good I guess, when I first saw Tenenbaum in 2 I was like "wtf when did she get good looking?" :lol
Thirldly, the sound effects are piss weak, that might be my main gripe playing as a Big Daddy. The drill sounds like a wussy fucking mosquito and the rivet gun has pretty much no sound at all. All these weapons should have really rusty, meaty sounds which they don't and I was really disappointed by that.
Despite that I'm liking the game still.

Wut ? She looks old and miserable
Unless you mean the model itself :p

But yeah, i dont get that controller argument of theres. The game feels pretty much exactly the same as the first game on the keyboard n mouse, and even still theres the odd little things that dont work to its best. Who knows, maybe its Microsofts continued push to get people on 360 by stopping pad support
CONSPIRACY !!! :lol

Anyhoo, MP, god damn, i hate the lag, i hate the frame cap, i hate the lack of host migration, but for fuck sake i love this game. Hell i think i noticed something awesome today, that over time, the splicer you play as progressively (over the course of ranks ?) looks more and more spliced up, like you see in the main games.

Rank 37 atm, as long as the next level gives me some more 500 adam trials i should be good to carry on to 40, as long as it stops putting me in lagtastic games too :D

Could someone repost those ini files? I did the same thing for ME2 and that helped a lot.
No one else bummed by the sound effects? I was hoping for some sort of mod but its a fucking UE game :l
I want to play online but all this GFWL shit is annoying.

Wut ? She looks old and miserable Unless you mean the model itself :p
Yeah the model. Her audio pic didn't look too bad though :lol
Oh, unrelated question. Is Andrew Ryan's VA different in this game? Doesn't sound the same to me...

Barrett2

I have been playing this all week. Goddamn, I can't believe how much I love this game. The combat, environments, setting, weapon/plasmid upgrades... I just love every aspect of it. So glad I didn't pass this over. Finally dipped my toes into multiplayer today, had a blast.

Miburou

9/11: The Joke said:
I was wondering if any one could clear something up for me about these trophies: Look at you, hacker/Trap master.
I was wondering if you are only allowed to use traps/hack security bots to kill splicers without you touching them. Like if I punched a splicer, then used cyclone trap, would that count towards the trophy?

While it's difficult to say for certain (since the game does not keep track of your progress in those achievements like say Gears of War 2 does), but I got those achievements fairly early and I'm not the type to sit back and let the traps and turrets do the dirty work (I destroy most of my turrets :p).

So I'd say that the traps or hacked machines need only deliver the killing blow to an enemy to count.

Zeke

I need help I'm close to the end of the game right now I'm in the
therapy wing there is a keypad in a room called Recreational Therapy. I've looked all over the area for a voice diary with the code but I haven't found anything. Does anyone know where this voice diary is? Its driving me mad!

bhlaab

Finishing bioshock 2 made me go back and play Bioshock 1

Holy jesus did the first game get a hell of a better PC port. You can actually drag and drop plasmids out of your inventory in the gene bank instead of using some tawdry menu system!

And your character is speedy and doesn't feel like he's made out of leprosy, but I guess that's true for the 360 versions as well...

Top Bottom