• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

AKS

I finally got around to trying out multiplayer on PC. I can tell that there is a really cool design under the technical mess and total lagfest, but I can't enjoy a game mode in which there is so much lag that walking through a doorway is difficult, let alone aiming and hitting anything. It's horribly unbalanced as well. I can see some clever ideas hidden in there, but it's a disaster in it's current state.

Amir0x said:
yay I'm like rank 500 in the world. Moving on up!

I'm so glad this game has multiplayer.

Nice bro.

Think I'm going to try to go from 35 to 40 on Monday since I have all day off and nothing else to do. Think I'll try out your guys' Houdini/nail gun strategy.

AKS

Was this game just not finished when it was released or what? Bioshock 2 on PC is making early Ubisoft PS3 games look finely crafted and exceptionally polished by comparison. It crashes constantly and is a laggy mess online.

Amir0x

Banned
ILOVEASIANS said:
Nice bro.

Think I'm going to try to go from 35 to 40 on Monday since I have all day off and nothing else to do. Think I'll try out your guys' Houdini/nail gun strategy.

Yeah, I love the Houdini/nail gun strategy, or the Electrobolt/ElephantGun strategy. Both work really well at defeating your opponents.

NIGHT-

scoobs said:
This game certainly isn't a looker anymore... I swear they downgraded the textures or something.

Yea, I keep thinking the same thing myself. But it's been ages since I played the first game, but it seems like it looked better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
scoobs said:
This game certainly isn't a looker anymore... I swear they downgraded the textures or something.
They did. The textures are similar, but there are definitely some surfaces that are less detailed than they were originally. Doors are the biggest offender and likely the thing that triggers people to notice the downgrade as you are constantly approaching them. Can't figure out why they lowered the quality of such things.

Truant

dark10x said:
They did. The textures are similar, but there are definitely some surfaces that are less detailed than they were originally. Doors are the biggest offender and likely the thing that triggers people to notice the downgrade as you are constantly approaching them. Can't figure out why they lowered the quality of such things.

Seems like there's a lot more lighting in this game. Colours and stuff everywhere, glowing coral stuff growing on walls, etc.

AKS said:
I finally got around to trying out multiplayer on PC. I can tell that there is a really cool design under the technical mess and total lagfest, but I can't enjoy a game mode in which there is so much lag that walking through a doorway is difficult, let alone aiming and hitting anything. It's horribly unbalanced as well. I can see some clever ideas hidden in there, but it's was a disaster in it's current state.

Yeah, it looks like theres a great game underneath it all (im hoping they continue to update and fix things). I found alt-tabbing out and back in once in a game will cure the lag problem until the next time you load the game up. Big Daddy is retardedly overpowered (i got 25 kills in that thing :lol). I really like how everything is presented in MP too (personal lounge, customization etc).

Salz01

After I beat Bio2, I went back and bought Bio1 and to me it looks better than the sequel. I remember reading somewhere that the PS3 has better textures since it was released a year after the 360 counterpart, so they did some enhancements to textures and water reflections. But even the water bubbles that you see 'outside' Rapture look clearer. Its hard to describe. Bio2 just looks a little more 'cartoony' to me.

Xater

So far I am halfway through the game. I enjoy it, but it's no where near the quality of the first title. The story so far is meh and the MP doesn't seem to be all that intersting.

AKS

Xater said:
So far I am halfway through the game. I enjoy it, but it's no where near the quality of the first title. The story so far is meh and the MP doesn't seem to be all that intersting.

The story in Bioshock 2 is best towards the end of the game, which is quite the opposite of Bioshock 1.

2K Games announced today an aggressive post-launch downloadable content plan for BioShock®2 that extends and enhances the single and multiplayer experiences by adding more glimpses into the award-winning world of Rapture. Downloadable content will be made available soon, beginning with the Sinclair Solutions Test Pack, available this March from the Xbox® LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows–LIVE for 400 Microsoft Points and from the PlayStation®Network for £3.19. Future expansions into the world of BioShock 2 are slated to arrive over the coming months and will continue to expand on the stories of the denizens of Rapture.

“The fans who waited in the snow, rain and cold for the midnight launch of BioShock 2 have spoken and their message is that Rapture still has many fascinating stories to tell,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Downloadable content is a key part of our efforts to continue to entice the fans that have made 2K a household name - we intend to deliver single and multiplayer content that respects and expands upon one of the greatest fictional worlds ever created.”

Sinclair Solutions Test Pack, the first of several planned downloadable packages, contains a number of customization features that will allow players to further their character’s development in BioShock 2’s multiplayer modes and provide a deeper multiplayer experience. The pack includes:

• Rank Increase to level 50 with Rank Rewards
• New playable characters Louie McGraff and Oscar Calraca
• 20 new trials*
• A third weapon upgrade for each weapon
• Five additional masks*
*Some items are only available after a player achieves a rank of 41 or higher.

In the coming months, 2K Games will also be publishing downloadable extensions of the single player experience that provide new insight into the world of Rapture. These packages will include more narrative, new tools and new challenges that extend the lore and fiction of the failed Utopia under the sea.

Sinclair Solutions Test Pack screenshots

15cms5x.jpg

1f48w.jpg

35d7rci.jpg

Ricker

Just finished the game last night...pretty awesome but I have to admit I finished the last parts of this game on easy,it was too hectic for my taste,I mean jesus I died a few times on easy...got the rescued all little sister and ending that goes with that I guess...from my ending,can`t wait for 3(hopefully, where I think it will go will happen).

Ramirez

I'm liking the MP, but this game has a terrible netcode, I don't think I've been in a single game where it didn't lag noticeably. The community seems small too, takes forever to find a match. :( I do love trapping people with electrified geysers though. :p

Just curious how close I am to the end:
stopped playing right after you play as the little sister and Eleanor becomes a big sister and gives you the plasmid to summon her. It looks like there's still 4 or 5 'secret achievements', which seemed to be doled out at the conclusion of a major story element. It feels like the end, but based on the secret achievements left, there could easily be 25% more game here

Also, playing on PC with vitachambers off.... the game doesn't auto-save at all. I have to basically replay the entire level I'm at, from the ride in onward.

Dax01 said:
SP DLC? Sign me up!

No shit, oh god that is awesome.

MrCompletely said:
stopped playing right after you play as the little sister and Eleanor becomes a big sister and gives you the plasmid to summon her. It looks like there's still 4 or 5 'secret achievements', which seemed to be doled out at the conclusion of a major story element. It feels like the end, but based on the secret achievements left, there could easily be 25% more game here

You are literally right at the end. There are a few stretches of gameplay left and some surprisingly decent areas left to explore in the final stretch though. It was pretty satisfying IMO.

Struct09

MrCompletely said:

Also, playing on PC with vitachambers off.... the game doesn't auto-save at all. I have to basically replay the entire level I'm at, from the ride in onward.

You're close. I'd say between 1-2 hours.

As for saving, why not just press F12 often?

Struct09 said:
You're close. I'd say between 1-2 hours.

As for saving, why not just press F12 often?

Usually I do, but quicksaving is a double-edged sword. Sometimes I'll get engrossed enough where I just forget. And then you'll hit quicksave, and and unlike other games, B2 uses the entire screen to let you know you saved which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine (unlike something like Fallout 3, which doesn't stop gameplay at all and just throws a message up on the corner of the screen).

I'm just surprised I could cover as much game as I did and not have a single auto-save.

I wonder if the MP DLC will split people up (hopefully it doesnt, as no new maps are in there). PC MP could do with being fixed first too :p Could also let me hit level 40 too before bumping it up :lol

SP DLC could be good depending on what they do (Adventures of Tenenbaum ? :D ). Wouldnt be interested so much in challenge rooms or something.

Struct09

MrCompletely said:
Usually I do, but quicksaving is a double-edged sword. Sometimes I'll get engrossed enough where I just forget. And then you'll hit quicksave, and and unlike other games, B2 uses the entire screen to let you know you saved which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine (unlike something like Fallout 3, which doesn't stop gameplay at all and just throws a message up on the corner of the screen).

I'm just surprised I could cover as much game as I did and not have a single auto-save.

I completely agree that quick-save interrupting the whole game screen is annoying.

omg yes
I can't wait for the single player expansion. Although, I suppose
if it takes place after the ending, you will need to play as a different character. Maybe the protagonist will be Elanor.

Ridley327

Oh wow, I was expecting something along the lines of the Challenge Rooms from the PS3 version, but that sounds a lot cooler. I wonder how they're going to handle it...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
There's something extremely therapeutic about using houdini to get behind a big daddy and then with the backstabbing perk, systematically beating him to death with my mallet of doom.

It's funny how many people forget they have a stomp ability when this is happening to them.

Dyno

Started a second playthrough on hard, this time being a bad guy. I didn't realize the first time that the story starts very strong. Between the tapes and the voices you hear over the intercomm there is a lot to take in and digest.

Regarding the awakening of the protagonist:
So where you lying around as a corpse for ten years before Elenor brought you back or did she reintegrate your body as well? Can someone explain the process to me.

Joei

I finally popped the game in last night. I'm really, really enjoying it so far, though I know I'm not that far in. The one thing I noticed was already mentioned on this page. The graphics seem to have suffered a bit for some reason. I don't think it looks "bad," but everything looks like it's made out of clay or was colored in crayon. It's still a very detailed game though. I think it controls much better than the first one which is definitely a plus. I started on normal and it seems like it's going to be a much more difficult game than the first. I've already died a few times, while in the first game I don't think I died once on normal. The VA seems pretty good too, not that I was concerned with it at all.

Amir0x said:
Strange, I was thinking he is a bit too weak. I have taken down numerous big daddies by myself. It's insanely easy. One, put on Big Game Hunter tonic (bonus damage to Big Daddies). Two, use houdini to sneak up behind him (extremely simple). Three, lay into him with a nail gun for a few seconds. Even if he notices the damage fairly quickly, I usually take off 25-50% health in one single go. Usually in every round I participate in, the Big Daddy is dead within 30 seconds to a minute of the round. If you have a team working together to focus on it? Fuggedaboutit. Thing goes down in 10 seconds or less.

Every single thing you mentioned is not available to my level 10 character.

Scarecrow

God, I hate when the multiplayer freezes when I'm doing particularly good. I took down a big daddy and was about to rescue a little sister when it froze on me. What are some good game types to gain experience. I'm at 27 and only getting 500-700 a match.

ColonelColon said:
Someone extracted the multiplayer character voice overs and found files for the two characters that will be added with the Sinclair Solutions Test Pack DLC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ybQ1ePI34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIOVxDd3J4g
I have no idea if the rest of the data is already included in the game, but this might just be an unlock key.

:lol Bender. I was wondering where those two characters were.
I wish there was a character creation system.

Amir0x

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Every single thing you mentioned is not available to my level 10 character.

You'll get them all (except Big Game Hunter) before rank, like, 15 I think. it doesn't take long. 3 hours of play or something.

Amir0x said:
Yeah, I love the Houdini/nail gun strategy, or the Electrobolt/ElephantGun strategy. Both work really well at defeating your opponents.

Never knew about the Elephant-Bolt combo. I'll have to try that out.

Is it worth using the scope upgrade with the Elephant gun?

Amir0x

Banned
Obsessed said:
Never knew about the Elephant-Bolt combo. I'll have to try that out.

Is it worth using the scope upgrade with the Elephant gun?

I mean, if you're doing the Electrobolt-ElephantGun combo, it's not worth it to have the scope. Because you'll be fighting implicitly at close range all the time. Might as well put on the bonus damage equip, but that slows down your fighting which would be a hindrance if you're not a good shot.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
I mean, if you're doing the Electrobolt-ElephantGun combo, it's not worth it to have the scope. Because you'll be fighting implicitly at close range all the time. Might as well put on the bonus damage equip, but that slows down your fighting which would be a hindrance if you're not a good shot.

I haven't been able to find anything about if the elephant gun is more powerful at close range. I've been having difficulty lining up shots long range because people are jumping all around the map right now, and they don't have aero dash in their loadout from what I can tell after they kill me.
I'll definitely have to try this combo out. I've been using the nailgun/crossbow - houdini/incinerate combo for deathmatch game types due to the crossbow having a larger clip.

Firestorm

400 Points and same time on all platforms for the single player expansions and I'll buy.
Pull a Borderlands and I uninstall the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished it and I loved it. The last few hours completely blew me away.
Playing as a Little Sister and having Elanor fight alongside you in the last section were particularly cool. I liked the ending and found it touching, just like the good ending of the first.
I was skeptical from the time that this was announced but it's definitely a worthy sequel.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
enjoyed the singleplayer alot. Better game arc overall.
However the sense of wonder really wasn't there as much with this one.
Andrew Ryan/Atlas was a much better antagonist tho.

Multiplayer seems fun as a diversion till BFBC2 comes out.

HOWEVER! can someone explain to me why,Companies can't figure out how to optimize netcode still?? I mean TeamFortress Classic was as smooth as this game is with 16 people on a 56k Modem.

This thing lags and studders with 10 people. Wolfensteins Multiplayer had the same issue,plus a ton of other small games.
Seriously if your gonna spend millions on multiplayer get some solid netcode first... period.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game is freaking fantastic! Actually getting better as i play. It's really strange, the release didn't have that big "event" feeling the first one did, yet im surprised by how slick a gameplay package this is. They really nailed the whole upgrading / combat gameplay, and as i progress through the game the world feels just as alive and empty as i remember the first being. Definitely some great art design in this game.

The story and writing is also pretty impressive. Things started out a bit subtle but they keep hammering you with story tidbits every half hour or so. The pacing feels really brisk for a game that is so detailed.

Tried a little of the multiplayer too and i like how they make it the night Rapture goes crazy.

bloodydrake said:
Multiplayer seems fun as a diversion till BFBC2 comes out.

Indeed. I just hit 40, took a little over 20 hours like most people said on here. Reached it with probably my best game too. Went 36-16 with out a Big Daddy suit on Capture the Sister.

I definitely enjoyed my time with mulitplayer, despite being pretty skeptical of it at first. I hope Dead Space 2's MP can be at least this fun, another game I'm skeptical of in terms of multiplayer.

Now I can take my time through the rest of my hard run, pick up my last couple achievements, and enjoy the sights before Bad Company 2 hits.

I really like playing Bioshock 2 more than the first but the first game made a better impression.

I dunno. If the first game had it's last few hours removed and were replaced with bioshock 2's gameplay and best bits, I'd love the whole thing a lot more.

terithegreat

Neo Member
Just beat it... Assuming there are only two endings, I guess I got the 'good' one. Rescued all the Little Sister's & killed only
Gill
. Missed a few silly achievements - research, audio diaries, power to people stations & a few more. Probably going to play it again on easy (did it on hard this time) & make sure to get all of those & try for the no dying ones.

Already played a few levels on MP, level 11 or something, probably going to keep up with that.

All in all,
I'm still waiting for the WOW moment. You got that in the first game & for some reason I felt like this was just missing that special something. The game and story were good, no doubt, but the middle parts with all the Big Daddy // Little Sister // Harvesting (repeat 2 or 3 times) // Big Sister combos got a little old & there were no really memorable characters or boss sequences that are going to stick out like Cohen & Atlas or Ryan did. I liked Sinclair, and I was kind of waiting for the bait and switch with him (probably because of Atlas :lol) and for sure I was expecting the big reveal at the end to be who your character was. I guess when I play again, without some of those expectations, I'll be able to appreciate the game and characters a little more on their own & not as a replacement for BioShock 1.

Coolest part for me had to be getting to see though the Little Sisters eyes. I know it was short (and kind of pointless), but when I go back again, I'll probably stick around a little bit & try exploring more as her. That and Mark Metzer... It's a damn shame you could easily glance over that guy. He probably made more of an impact than any other character to me & seeing his Big Daddy was probably my only jaw dropping experience in the whole game.

terithegreat said:
Just beat it... Assuming there are only two endings, I guess I got the 'good' one. Rescued all the Little Sister's & killed only
Gill
. Missed a few silly achievements - research, audio diaries, power to people stations & a few more. Probably going to play it again on easy (did it on hard this time) & make sure to get all of those & try for the no dying ones.

Already played a few levels on MP, level 11 or something, probably going to keep up with that.

All in all,
I'm still waiting for the WOW moment. You got that in the first game & for some reason I felt like this was just missing that special something. The game and story were good, no doubt, but the middle parts with all the Big Daddy // Little Sister // Harvesting (repeat 2 or 3 times) // Big Sister combos got a little old & there were no really memorable characters or boss sequences that are going to stick out like Cohen & Atlas or Ryan did. I liked Sinclair, and I was kind of waiting for the bait and switch with him (probably because of Atlas :lol) and for sure I was expecting the big reveal at the end to be who your character was. I guess when I play again, without some of those expectations, I'll be able to appreciate the game and characters a little more on their own & not as a replacement for BioShock 1.

Coolest part for me had to be getting to see though the Little Sisters eyes. I know it was short (and kind of pointless), but when I go back again, I'll probably stick around a little bit & try exploring more as her. That and Mark Metzer... It's a damn shame you could easily glance over that guy... He probably made more of an impact than any other character to me & seeing his Big Daddy was probably my only jaw dropping experience in the whole game.
Regarding your spoiled text, I can promise you that
going through it again with no expectations is the best thing you can do. I too played waiting for the next "big" reveal the entire time and couldn't relax and enjoy it. My next time through, I enjoyed it MUCH much more.

savor100

I can't wait for the new DLC, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

edit: post #3000 in this thread :D
edit 2.0: I've read somewhere else that the price for the DLC is $4.99. Not too bad.

Top Bottom