• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

The multiplayer made six adult men turning the screwdriver at the turrets for over ten hours just to get those freaking multiplayer achievements. Hell yeah, what a fun!

vodka-bull said:
The multiplayer made six adult men turning the screwdriver at the turrets for over ten hours just to get those freaking multiplayer achievements. Hell yeah, what a fun!

Multiplayer achievments are generally awful. I didn't find these too bad though. The only one that actually took some time was reaching Level 40.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Been playing this for a bit, got to Pauper's Drop and took a break for now.

What's with the hate? I'm actually liking this and I thought the first one was pretty mediocre aside from the intro.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Multiplayer achievments are generally awful.
QFT!

The only worse achievements are the ones you can't get anymore because the server were turned off or nobody is playing the game anymore. I started to play Call of Juarez Bound in Blood this week but there's no way to get all achievements because the servers are empty as hell.

mujun

Just finished the 2nd game today.

It was pretty good, like 7 out of 10 good for me unlike the first game which I would probably have given a 9.

The levels seemed to get uglier the further I went through it and there was nothing near as memorable as the Sander Cohen level from the first game.

I also never felt even remotely creeped out while playing the second game unlike the first one.

It was far more linear which was a good thing as the more it went on the more I wanted to just get to the end but also a bad thing as I often found myself wanting the more sprawling and complex environments of the first game.

The story was completely forgettable and it all seemed way too soulless, it felt to me like the motivation behind the game was to cash in on the success of the first.

I did really like levelling up and finding what would eventually become my bread and butter combat wise. Overall I really enjoyed playing through it (except the last hour or two where the story and the way they changed up the gameplay to complement it sort of ruined it for me) but wish it had been an improvement (or at least equal to) the first.

MP seems subpar.

Amir0x

Banned
vodka-bull said:

Hacking turrets is a prohibitively slow way to gain adam, so those people doing that were functional retards and really are an exception.

As always the value of multiplayer achievements depend entirely on how much you enjoy the multiplayer. I loved the multiplayer, so I didn't mind them at all. But again, I hate achievements to begin with, so it never bothers me either way.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Zeke said:
I need help I'm close to the end of the game right now I'm in the
therapy wing there is a keypad in a room called Recreational Therapy. I've looked all over the area for a voice diary with the code but I haven't found anything. Does anyone know where this voice diary is? Its driving me mad!

Thats in inner persephone right? There i no diary or note with that one, you have to work it out yourself. The code is

Amir0x said:
Hacking turrets is a prohibitively slow way to gain adam, so those people doing that were functional retards and really are an exception.

As always the value of multiplayer achievements depend entirely on how much you enjoy the multiplayer. I loved the multiplayer, so I didn't mind them at all. But again, I hate achievements to begin with, so it never bothers me either way.
1500-2000 adam a game, one game lasts 10 minutes, 97000 adam was needed to get to lvl 40. So it took about 10-12 hours.

Tried it with TDM too, but that way I just got 500 adam a game.

Amir0x

Banned
wow you mean you literally sat there trading hacks until a round was over?

Well my comment is only more relevant now. Only functional retards would do that. Better time spent having fucking fun than doing that. It took me 20 hours to hit rank 40, and I did it all having fun.

Biff

For all you guys with the PS3 version, I found this in-game. Can anyone tell me what it says?:

˙uoısɹǝʌ 3sd ǝɥʇ uo suıʞs ɐʇsoɔɐ,p oƃız puɐ ǝɔɐןƃ ǝp ǝɥɔɐןq ǝןןɯ ɹoɟ ǝpoɔ ǝʌısnןɔxǝ doʇsǝɯɐƃ ɐ sʇǝƃ sıɥʇ ǝʇonb oʇ ʇsɹıɟ

Amir0x

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
For all you guys with the PS3 version, I found this in-game. Can anyone tell me what it says?:

˙uoısɹǝʌ 3sd ǝɥʇ uo suıʞs ɐʇsoɔɐ,p oƃız puɐ ǝɔɐןƃ ǝp ǝɥɔɐןq ǝןןɯ ɹoɟ ǝpoɔ ǝʌısnןɔxǝ doʇsǝɯɐƃ ɐ sʇǝƃ sıɥʇ ǝʇonb oʇ ʇsɹıɟ

QUOTED

oh wait...pS3 version

nevermind -_-

So you're now filled with glorious fun, aren't you?

I'm an achievement whore, I can't have fun playing games. I can only have fun by enlarging my e-penis and showing everyone that I got the longest. Apology for being a retarded.

Amir0x

Banned
Thank you for apologizing to me personally. I am filled with gratitude and feel the world has improved somewhat with this acknowledgement.

All seriousness, achievement whoring is one thing... but at least make sure you're having fun doing that. It's ridiculous to do what you did for twelve hours.

Amir0x said:
All seriousness, achievement whoring is one thing... but at least make sure you're having fun doing that. It's ridiculous to do what you did for twelve hours.
Well, there has been a misunderstanding then. I had fun doing it since I talked to my friends in an Xbox Live party (and I'm one of those guys who're turning the xbox on just for talking to friends while playing the xbox dashboard), but nevertheless it felt a little bit silly to press the A button all along.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ChefRamsay said:

first to quote this gets a gamestop exclusive code for mlle blache de glace and zigo d`acosta skins on the ps3 version.

Level 40 finally, had to suffer far too many "stopped responding" messages to get there (seemed to get worse the further i levelled up :/). Enjoyed the little "Epilogue" cinematic it gives :D Will continue to play once they patch up that damn crashing problem and unlock that frame rate (looks so damn smooth as host, quite jarring when not). Good times, good times.

I just want the multiplayer... never thought I would say that about a Bioshock game haha. They should really consider selling the multiplayer component for a reduced price.

eshwaaz

I've been avoiding this thread out of fear of spoilers, but wanted to drop in and post my impressions. I'm about 8 hours into the single player and enjoying it for the most part, but the sheer amount of combat in this game is really wearing me down.

I may be remembering it incorrectly, but there seem to be more enemies around just in general, and the respawn rate for enemies feels much more aggressive this time. There have been multiple times where I've cleared out an area, only to find myself being shot in the back of the head by a splicer (or splicers) who has literally spawned in right behind me.

Then you have the onslaught of splicers whenever you are helping a little sister to harvest a body. And then there are the Big Sister battles, where respawing enemies are still in effect. There's just an overall feeling of being constantly hassled while I'm trying to explore - I know there was plenty of combat in the first game, but here it's starting to feel like a chore and it's starting to sour the experience. The combat is much improved over the first, but they really got carried away with just how much of it there is.

All that being said, I like it far more than I thought I would and there are some really nice locations here. My biggest fear was that Rapture would no longer be interesting, but it's still a very compelling environment. I do wish they had not tried so hard to tie the story and characters directly into the narrative of the first game; much of it comes across as forced and unconvincing. We all know that these characters didn't even exist in Bioshock 1 and were not mentioned or eluded to anywhere, so please don't try to convince me that they were notorious and relevant during Ryan's reign. It just rings hollow.

Joei

Anyone here have any issues with their 360 locking up while saving? This has happened to me twice so far. The first time I lost a good chunk of data (I beat Wales and had a bunch of stuff fully researched and rescued all the sisters and had to start all the way back at the beginning since that's when it last auto-saved it) and this time I started double saving and saving more often and it happened again. This time I only lost about 15 min. of time. I'm wondering if this is a game issue or an Xbox issue.

Firestorm

eshwaaz said:
I've been avoiding this thread out of fear of spoilers, but wanted to drop in and post my impressions. I'm about 8 hours into the single player and enjoying it for the most part, but the sheer amount of combat in this game is really wearing me down.

I may be remembering it incorrectly, but there seem to be more enemies around just in general, and the respawn rate for enemies feels much more aggressive this time. There have been multiple times where I've cleared out an area, only to find myself being shot in the back of the head by a splicer (or splicers) who has literally spawned in right behind me.

Then you have the onslaught of splicers whenever you are helping a little sister to harvest a body. And then there are the Big Sister battles, where respawing enemies are still in effect. There's just an overall feeling of being constantly hassled while I'm trying to explore - I know there was plenty of combat in the first game, but here it's starting to feel like a chore and it's starting to sour the experience. The combat is much improved over the first, but they really got carried away with just how much of it there is.

All that being said, I like it far more than I thought I would and there are some really nice locations here. My biggest fear was that Rapture would no longer be interesting, but it's still a very compelling environment. I do wish they had not tried so hard to tie the story and characters directly into the narrative of the first game; much of it comes across as forced and unconvincing. We all know that these characters didn't even exist in Bioshock 1 and were not mentioned or eluded to anywhere, so please don't try to convince me that they were notorious and relevant during Ryan's reign. It just rings hollow.
Winter Blast 3 and just freeze shit.

Fyrus said:
What's with the hate? I'm actually liking this and I thought the first one was pretty mediocre aside from the intro.

Trying to figure that out myself. I just finished Dionysus Park and am loving it so far. Improves on the original in every way except story, not that the story is bad in this.

Think the biggest difference between this game and the first Bioshock for me was the fact that I actually felt something for the Little Sisters. In Bioshock, I harvested every single one and didn't feel anything. But in 2, I couldn't bring myself to harvest any in two play throughs. I guess it just felt like a waste after protecting them for so long. Either that or I'm just more of a puss than I was in 2007.

Just finished Bioshock 2 tonight and just wanted to make a few comments.

First off, the story was fantastic. I was worried when Irrational wasn't handling the game, but 2K Marin came through big time. They have my full confidence going into the inevitable sequel.

Also, it took until about halfway through the game until I felt like a bad ass Big Daddy, and even when that did happen, my heart was still beating like crazy at many encounters.

Finally, I want Bioshock 3 now. I want to go back to Rapture. There are more stories that can be told there, and it looks like 2k Marin will be the best studio to do so (as it looks like Irrational wants to do something else).

Thank you 2K Marin for such a fantastic game.

NIGHT-

Reached Level 40 Friday night. Had a blast getting there. I think my favorite combos were Electro Bolt and the Elephant gun and Insect Swarm and the Nail gun. There's so many different ways to play Mp in this game it's unreal. I can't wait for the level extension to 50 and the new DLC.

Aon

The narrative's intimate direction really surprised me as it's generally not what yo see in video games, which wish to appeal to a broad audience (of many age/ interest groups). For me personally I couldn't find the final stages/connection to Elanor terribly affecting and I'm sort've wondering whether the divide in people who loved/liked the story in the game could be a paternal one? I know that as a youngster myself the final section of the game certainly felt well executed but fundamentally disconnected to me as a player.

It'd be pretty awesome if 2k Marin ahd just decided to tell a tale which would only resonate with people who've had certain experiences, instead of aiming for the common denominator. Although it sort've sucked for me because it left me unable to connect with the narrative at it's apex.

Just beat the game. I thought it was as good or better than Bioshock. Certainly nothing as powerful as the Ryan scene in the first game, but the part where you get to play as a
little sister
came very close. Over all though I was very impressed. One thing I didn't expect, was how individual splicers would attack you on sight, I thought that as a big daddy, individual splicers wouldn't attack you but may get help or run away. I guess the they just couldn't program that level of sophistication into the AI.

I didn't harvest any of the little sisters, basically played like a paragon.

Here's my ending
The ship ascended and Eleanor gave her mother oxygen to save her, the little sisters gathered around Eleanor and she took a blood sample from Delta as he passed away I guess from his injuries during the explosion.

Edit: Also, is there a new game + option where you keep your weapons or do you start over? Also, can someone answer why Dr Lamb
told Delta to kill himself in the beginning?

scoobs

Wow finally tried out the MP in this game (PC version) and WOW!!!... what utter crap. Runs like poop and looks like poopier poop. Played or 1 minute and left lol, I will never venture back into that crapfest.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Beat it earlier. The last 2 hours or so of the game are fantastic. The ending made me shed a tear. Really quality game that is worthy of the original. Lots of great ideas in the writing and environments. Very addicting gameplay that felt great. I give it 10/10. Unfortunate a lot of places scored it around the 8's for what i think is a perception issue.

Firestorm

Solideliquid said:
Just beat the game. I thought it was as good or better than Bioshock. Certainly nothing as powerful as the Ryan scene in the first game, but the part where you get to play as a
little sister
came very close.
What about
Mark Mezter?

Cep

Banned
Firestorm said:
What about
Mark Mezter?

That one was good, but I did not feel the impact as much as I suppose some did. Felt a little 'cheesy.'

But then again, I was not a big fan of the Ryan scene either, the janky models and animations took away from that one.

The little sister
level was really good though. NOTHING else in the series hits that hard
Not just talking about playing as a little sister, but the ways in which you shape Eleanor, and the moment when you stop playing as a LS

Cep

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
I beat the game but i am not remembering this reference...I know the name just not what its significance is.
The man who came in search of his abducted daughter and ended up becoming her Big Daddy. There are a couple of tapes of his journey

Conceptually, very good. Execution left something to be desired.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Cep said:
The man who came in search of his abducted daughter and ended up becoming her Big Daddy. There are a couple of tapes of his journey

See that is one negative and positive thing about this game. There is a lot of great backstory on the ton of audio logs you pick up, but there are so many of them, and half the time i am listening to them while i am exploring the environment, i dont even pick up on half the info they are revealing. They needed to make these things more like 'events' in the game world for me to remember them.

Cep

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
See that is one negative and positive thing about this game. There is a lot of great backstory on the ton of audio logs you pick up, but there are so many of them, and half the time i am listening to them while i am exploring the environment, i dont even pick up on half the info they are revealing. They needed to make these things more like 'events' in the game world for me to remember them.

Agreed.

Bioshock generally needs more scripted non-story sequences.

Some of them should even have playing/picking up the tapes as a pre-req.

Firestorm said:
What about
Mark Mezter?
No that part was awesome considering he was a big side plot in the story. However I expected
his daughter to say or do something if you freed her

Also am I the only one disappointed with the big sisters? I really thought there'd be only one and she would play a bigger role.

Scarecrow

Solideliquid said:
No that part was awesome considering he was a big side plot in the story. However I expected
his daughter to say or do something if you freed her

Also am I the only one disappointed with the big sisters? I really thought there'd be only one and she would play a bigger role.
Yeah, I thought that too. Like, she would pester you throughout the game only to be finally defeated in the finale.

Cep said:

The execution was perfectly fine.

Firestorm

Dax01 said:
Execution was more than fine, I thought it was perfect. The reason I keep bringing it up is because, as I said the first time, I actually just froze there thinking about what I'd just done. Don't think anything had that effect on me before. Although I just started Heavy Rain and had a couple of those :(

Miburou

Solideliquid said:

That was actually the original plan, but then they changed it because according to them knowing that the big sister would just run away after taking a set amount of damage would not be as satisfying to gamers as having many big sisters and being able to kill each one. Pretty lame, if you ask me.

They should of made the Big Sister like the Nemesis from Resi 3. Always on your back, causing you grief, couple of scraps along the way, until a big "eat this you bitch" finale
instead of the 2 big sisters fight
:D Thats my view.

~Kinggi~ said:
Unfortunate a lot of places scored it around the 8's for what i think is a perception issue.

I'm not about to tell anyone that their opinion is wrong, but I think that's a legitimate prospect.

Cep

Banned
Dax01 said:

Well as I have said before, I think there is a huge disconnect between me an the games.

Only time when I actually felt an emotional attachment in either game was the
Little sister level and most of the stuff after that (Eleanor and Sinclair), the ending, what happens to Lamb

Other than that, most of the things that happen seem to be just events that I intellectually process, but that is it.

Perhaps I am broken?

Cep said:
Only time when I actually felt an emotional attachment in either game was the
Little sister level and most of the stuff after that (Eleanor and Sinclair), the ending, what happens to Lamb

That's more than what I felt when playing the first game, but the one time it happened was incredibly strong. It was a more horrifying reaction though, than emotional. Understandably so. I was just thrilled that Bioshock 2 actually gave me characters to give a damn about. That is in no way saying that there weren't good characters in the first one because that would be bullshit, but at the same time I wasn't really attached to anything.

Cep

Banned
brandonh83 said:
That's more than what I felt when playing the first game, but the one time it happened was incredibly strong. It was a more horrifying reaction though, than emotional. Understandably so. I was just thrilled that Bioshock 2 actually gave me characters to give a damn about. That is in no way saying that there weren't good characters in the first one because that would be bullshit, but at the same time I wasn't really attached to anything.

I believe horror to be an emotional response and yes, that is what I felt too (with a dash of pity and revulsion).

Top Bottom