• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Hawkian said:
-What was the deal with the Unstable Teleport Plasmid? Just an unrelated mindfuck? :lol

If you keep touching it in all the places it appears it warps you to a hidden gene tonic.

Edit: Beaten, badly. I will add then
that I thought this part was very cool given the history of this plasmid in Bioshock 1.

They seriously need to patch the multiplayer on 360. If they think I will spend even 5 bucks on the DLC come March 11, they are crazy. Over probably two hours of play yesterday, my online game froze 5 times.

So about the endings...
If you don't rescue all the little sisters you are given a choice between living or dying and that is the split between getting the crapsack and the emogrrl endings?

Anyways, I *really* liked the good ending. The way it switched pov as you get sucked out was quite well done. And focusing on how the kid responded to your actions felt like a direct response to the hackneyed "I AM TELLING YOU HOW YOU FEEL" ending of the first game.

Also they really need to work on incentivizing harvesting in this game. If anything they made it feel like an even less justifiable decision than in the first game. Oh boo hoo, the game might be slightly more challenging if I don't feast on this little girl's soul. And seriously, this game's "Would You Kindly" moment was realizing how Eleanor might be behaving if you had harvested little sisters while she was watching. Just the idea of what I could have been unwittingly doing had a huge fucking impact on me. Those ward sections at the very end? Where she's gathering the girls individually? I think I'd have fucking nightmares seeing her in the big sister suit harvesting them as they slept.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ronabo said:
Keep following it thought the level. After about 5 or 6 times you get teleported to a secret area with a new tonic. IIRC you get Vending Expert 2

No, I did that. I was just wondering if that madness was all there was to it :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
I think I'd have fucking nightmares seeing her in the big sister suit harvesting them as they slept.

Does that actually happen!?

Joei

ScrubJay said:
She harvests them, but they wake up for it. You can still hear them struggling and crying for daddy though.

Oh wow, that makes it sound creepier. I wondered this when I got to that part of the game. On my first play through, when I got to the little sisters
I saved them all and used them all to harvest adam from the bodies around the levels... I also saved the main 3 characters that you have an option to kill. I think I'll do the opposite next time around and see what happens.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ScrubJay said:
She harvests them, but they wake up for it. You can still hear them struggling and crying for daddy though.

Holy god. So she gets strong enough to boil the water herself? Is there a youtube vid of this whole sequence and the evil ending?

ScrubJay

Hawkian said:
Holy god. So she gets strong enough to boil the water herself? Is there a youtube vid of this whole sequence and the evil ending?

I haven't found a video of her harvesting but it's just like you said, she does it to boil the water herself. You don't see anything going down, Eleanor and the sister go up in a green cloud of smoke just like when you harvest. Also if you kill the three people when given a choice, the little sister sequence close to the end shows statues of you killing them instead of showing mercy, and more importantly Sophia dies instead of being saved. If you do some kind of combination of killing and saving you get a choice of the neutral or bad endings. All three endings are up on the Bioshock 2 wiki, I had a URL for the endings but it stuck out from the spoiler tags so I decided to leave it out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ScrubJay said:
I haven't found a video of her harvesting but it's just like you said, she does it to boil the water herself. You don't see anything going down, Eleanor and the sister go up in a green cloud of smoke just like when you harvest. Also if you kill the three people when given a choice, the little sister sequence close to the end shows statues of you killing them instead of showing mercy, and more importantly Sophia dies instead of being saved. If you do some kind of combination of killing and saving you get a choice of the neutral or bad endings. All three endings are up on the Bioshock 2 wiki, I had a URL for the endings but it stuck out from the spoiler tags so I decided to leave it out.

I
killed Stanley but saved Grace
. Why can't I remember who the third person was?

Hawkian said:
I
killed Stanley but saved Grace
. Why can't I remember who the third person was?
Fish tank man. The guy who was begging you to kill him throughout his entire level. I'm glad Eleanor gets the point if you only spare Grace. Although I'm not really sure how she'd be anything but confused if you mix and matched other combos. Maybe she keeps Lamb alive but tortures her a bit if you kill Grace and save the ******.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait, Alex the Great??? Wasn't killing him the nice thing to do? He was a fucking monster! I don't think I even realized you had the option to leave him alive. :lol

Oh no the DLC says 108kb on the 360, you know what that means D:

But oh well, I'll still get it, I'll still have enough for Perfect Dark anyways. I know, I know, part of the problem :(

After a busy few weeks at work i just finished it on Hard last night.

Have to say it was fantastic - I really loved the more personal story line, the pacing and plot and general level of quality throughout was extremely high, and it didn't fall apart in the final 3rd - on the contrary it really found it's feet in the final stretch and got better and better.

I rescued all the sisters and found the ending and conclusion far more satisfying than the original.

Gameplay wise it is a big step up, and barring a few issues with textures, it retained the whole feel and atmosphere that made Rapture so special in the 1st place.

Granted, Bioshock 2 was always going to suffer to a certain extent in comparison because the original really broke some new ground in this generation regarding details, atmosphere etc.

I've seen a fair amount of criticism for the environments and levels, but I think that is simply subjective - I thought that Fontaine Futuristics and Alexander the Great for example was every bit as memorable as anything in the original.

I am going to go back and play both games back to back at some point in a few months, but I fully expect that I will view the sequel as the better game and experience.

Favourite moments:-
Lamb suffocating Elanor with a pillow, then Elanor 'forgiving' Lamb and allowing her to breathe. Fantastic, and easily the most affecting moment for me personally out of the 2 games - I am going to have a hard time harvesting the sisters and seeing the effect on Elanor.

Alexander the Great getting Subject Delta on stage. Loved that sequence.

General expansion of Rapture mythos, contrary to what most people were saying regarding 'raping' the 1st game etc, I think the audio diaries and so forth brilliantly complimented the original, added a lot of depth to both Ryan and Fontaine, and did not feel contrived to me in any way.

Playing AS a Little Sister, caught me by surprise and it was a great change of pace.

I hoped the game would be great, I didn't think it would beat out Mass Effect 2 for me, but my initial impressions favour Bioshock 2.

Do we have a BioShock 2 Spoilers Thread? Because it's been long enough, we really need one.

gollumsluvslave said:
Playing AS a Little Sister, caught me by surprise and it was a great change of pace.

Oh man, realizing that the Little Sisters see the world in a completely different fashion really threw me for a loop. I was like, "Wait, what fucking part of Rapture are they in where the people are all nice and ... ohhhhhh"

Maybe it's because I blazed through the game pretty quickly, but I didn't feel like they described what the Big Sisters were fully enough. Someone can surely explain it to me, but I kinda felt like I got most of the story except for the Big Sisters.

I'd have to add that Siren's Alley was awesome. Sinclair was awesome.

I think the biggest difference for people that appreciate the story is that this one is a much more personal story, it's less epic than the original, however I felt it affected me much more.

Bioshock 2 is a slow-burner; it took a bit to get it's sea-legs, but once it found them it was consistently excellent, and got better and better as it went along.

The climax was fantastic IMO, and really addressed the biggest failing of the original.

twdnewh_k

Just got my bioshock 2 gift pack from the give away in this thread, and although the customs raided the canister and took away the redbull :( I wanna give out a big thank you to Dax01, Elizabeth and 2k games for this very generous give away, the shirt is awesome !

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Skiptastic said:
Do we have a BioShock 2 Spoilers Thread? Because it's been long enough, we really need one.

Oh man, realizing that the Little Sisters see the world in a completely different fashion really threw me for a loop. I was like, "Wait, what fucking part of Rapture are they in where the people are all nice and ... ohhhhhh"
I felt the same, this was executed really well. Whilst there weren't any shocking twists like in the first game, this was a really cool surprise, and just another level of depth to add to the creepy universe of Rapture.

When I did my first gather as the sister, I was just like "shiiiiii...". Then seeing things like the massive art sculpture become just a horrid mass of pipes. So clever.

I'm actually quite enjoying the multiplayer as well. When I first saw the trailers I thought it looked like an awful idea, but it seems like they've taken some care over it. The trials keep you experimenting like in MW2, and the levelling system seems pretty fair. I think I'll keep at it for a bit before maybe starting a "good" playthrough :D

Can't believe people actually liked the story of Bioshock 2. There were no interesting characters in it. Sophia Lamb was a lame baddie and they tried to make her kind of an anti-Ryan but it wasn't effective at all. Eleanor was the damsel in distress. And all the mini-bosses (the black lady, the newspaper guy and Alex the great) had no personality other than they hated you and wanted to kill you until you got past their security then they cowered in fear. Sinclair was basically Atlas with a southern accent and then he
gets turned into a big daddie and you have to kill him.

For the most part the plot of the game was the same as the first (go from place X to place Y and clear out obstacles, get keys, etc), but there was no sense of wonder or mystery because you already knew about Rapture and what happened to it and all the characters sucked. Ryan was an interesting character in the first one. The mini-bosses were interesting because of how they used the freedom of Rapture in perverted ways. The first one was a tragedy of how people's ideals can be subverted and how a utopia can fall, the 2nd one felt like a tacked on expansion pack or a fanfic.

If they make Bioshock 3 they need to either make it not take place in Rapture, or retcon out Ryan's death and bring him back. The few audio logs with him and Fontaine were one of the best things about the game. The gameplay was good, basically like the first one but got a little repetitive by the end, but comparing the quality of the stories of the two is like night and day.

2K community manager explains the reasoning behind why their latest paid DLC just unlocks content on the disc:

The way our engine and game structure works is that people need to have the exact same content for people to play together. One of the challenges with post launch content for MP is that it can split the player base, and we want to avoid that whenever possible. For this content, creating the DLC package the way we did allowed for us to not split the player base - so whether you purchase the new content or not, you can still play with your friends.

I know some of you have strong beliefs about DLC, and I'm not here to sway your opinion or convince you to buy our stuff - if you like what we're offering, I hope you get it and enjoy it. If it's not your speed, enjoy BioShock 2 as we released it.

Source

pr0cs

Loved the game, so much more than the original. The game was just a lot more fun. I liked creating traps and trying to plan out how to defend the sisters, having your own minions, etc. The plasmids were a lot more interesting this time through.
I liked the ending a LOT more than the original game, probably because I played the same way consistently through the game but the ending felt a lot better.

I'd say that Bioshock 2 has been the best game I've played this year thus far.

tmarques

Do saves from the original game affect playing the sequel in any way? I played the first one on the 360, but there's a good deal on the PS3 this time around.

lttp as my PC was going through an upgrade. Anyhoo....

I LOVED IT! :D

It's not so much better than Bio1, as it just completely compliments/fits it. I truly do think that if 2K/Marin put as much into effort in to future installments as well as they did this one, than I'm totally into the idea of this being a continuing franchise.
I'm one those people who love the world and would love to see more stories throughout it's history. Shit, something completely non civil war related would be awesome. Like a detective noir story or something :D

Only critisicm of Bio2 would be the level design. It's pretty repetitive visually but with that, I can understand that there's only so much you can do given the context. Though, I will say Bio2 was better at making me feel like I was in an actual city, as opposed to a series of hubs/rooms. Guess you got the outside bits to thank for that as well as better framing in parts.

Oh and MP on PC is kinda ....yeah, there

Aon

I really loved the way they portrayed Ryan as being a somewhat tired and fallible human through the audio logs. Especially the one where he feels the need to have a child to inherit his legacy.

But at the same time each one of those audio logs is hilarious because it was recorded at the same time as any of the audio logs from the first game, as well as having a photo that looks older than Ryan does in the original to complement the effect ><

Oh and I will also say, that Big Sisters in this were ...well kinda pointless unfortunately. They should have just stuck to having the proposed one throughout, but I'm sure this has been argued to death at this point anyway...

How is the MP on PS3?
Cause as of right now, PC MP is seemingly ugly and fucked!

I may have finished SP on PC, but other than the awesome framerate, I can't but help but feel that I should have just played it on a console. I mean, there's just some shit that bothers me hard, such as:

- You have to IMMEDIATELY fuck with the .ini to get the mouselook even remotely playable. But it's still jank when you first load into a save and you have to wait for it settle. This is just so shitty and Bio1 had the same problem

- An actual downgrade in UI from Bioshock1. Specifically they took out the mouse cursor based menu plasmid/weapon selection that would pause the gameplay ala the console versions. This allowed you to catch your breath and not fumble about trying to switch up your load/tactics. Not to mention other things like UI prompts not matching what they're actually mapped to like say Rescuing little sisters. I mapped it to R, but it still said it was mapped to G I believe.
They also took out the option to walk.

- PC MP feels downright terrible. Weird animation, awkward framerate, horrible mouse aiming. Feels like a PC emulation of a console game ...not even a port.

- Console visual hold overs that they couldn't get out like 30fps locked ragdoll animations.

- Other odd bugs like "Circus of Value" barks not playing. Action based music getting caught in a continous loop until you load into a new area (reloading a save doesn't fix it). The helmet HUD (which I personally think is rad) completely dissapeared for me after first PC patch. WTF!?

finally beat it last night. awesome game. i can't say it's better or worse than the first game overall. i liked the gameplay better in the 2nd, but i liked the cast of characters better in the first (andrew ryan is awesome). i also liked the twist better in the first (was there even a twist in the 2nd?)

what are the odds that we get a bioshock 3?

faridmon

FrenchMovieTheme said:
finally beat it last night. awesome game. i can't say it's better or worse than the first game overall. i liked the gameplay better in the 2nd, but i liked the cast of characters better in the first (andrew ryan is awesome). i also liked the twist better in the first (was there even a twist in the 2nd?)

what are the odds that we get a bioshock 3?
very high since 2K is planning to have 6 chapters of the franchise.

faridmon said:
very high since 2K is planning to have 6 chapters of the franchise.

dat_ass.jpg

AgentOtaku said:
Oh and I will also say, that Big Sisters in this were ...well kinda pointless unfortunately. They should have just stuck to having the proposed one throughout, but I'm sure this has been argued to death at this point anyway...

I agree. I think I read that reason behind it was that players didn't respond well to fighting an enemy that couldn't die, so they just put in more big sisters and allowed you to kill them.

I finished the game yesterday and must say that it was one my favorite gaming experiences this gen. I enjoyed it more than the first one but I played through most games very differently. I raced through Bioshock because I wanted to get to the twist as quickly as possible as to not have it spoiled for me. In this one, I played through super slowly, searching for audiotapes and saving all of the little sisters.

The whole Mark Meltzer arc was pretty brilliant and Jackie Rodkins :lol. Nice one Scoops.

did anyone find the freeze plasmid to be overpowered again? i mean i really had little problem getting through the game because i would freeze the big daddies and just unload on them. the big sisters were harder but i think i died maybe 4 or 5 times the whole game.

not that im saying it was easier than the first, i did the same thing there! maybe it's just me being cheap :(

I just used shock and headshotted everything with the spear gun. The only other plasmid I ever used was the summon super flying turrets one. The big daddies seemed much easier than bio1, and I was playing on hard with no respawn chambers.

For me, it was mostly Electrobolt/Drill Dash!

SO GOOD :D

Though the power slugs for the shotgun were pretty damn awesome!
Actually, pretty much loved every weapon in this and used almost all of them 'cept speargun as it felt a bit redundant after the Rivetgun.

Also, phospherous shotgun blasts = one of THE MOST satisfying weapon sounds this gen!

drill dash is fucking awesome. absolutely destroy people.

i guess that's what makes a game like bioshock 1/2 so entertaining is that if you ask 10 different people how they got through the game you get 10 different answers.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
drill dash is fucking awesome. absolutely destroy people.

i guess that's what makes a game like bioshock 1/2 so entertaining is that if you ask 10 different people how they got through the game you get 10 different answers.

Yeah, good tactic for the brutes:

set 'em ablaze then PowerSlug rounds to knock them down. Then drill them as they're getting back up :D

Seriously, some people say the shooting/combat doesn't do it for them and that it's the world that pulls them in.
I'm the opposiite.
So much of my enjoyment of this franchise is in the basic combat.

AgentOtaku said:
Oh, can you map shooting to L1/R1 now?

Thought I read somewhere they added that option...

the controls are completely customizable for MP. That might be true of the single player as well, can't remember right now. I never had trouble finding a match about a month after launch so it should still be busy.

AgentOtaku said:
Actually, pretty much loved every weapon in this and used almost all of them 'cept speargun as it felt a bit redundant after the Rivetgun.

How can you not loved the speargun?
Shooting the speargun and making an enemy fly across the room and get pinned against the wall?
Awesome.

Neiteio

FrenchMovieTheme said:
that's another thing i missed! "welcome to the circus of values!" and other spanish weapons one. why the fuck did they take that out? :(
Gameplay-wise, I strongly suspect it's because the vending machines were everywhere, which meant their jingles, which in BioShock 1 could be heard from rooms away, would be heard constantly. So they removed the jingle, which is fine by me if it means more machines. They really helped keep the game fun by allowing me to restock and spend all the money I was collecting.

Sushen

Am I the only one who thinks that the game becomes incredibly repetitive later? I'm having hard time convincing myself to get back to the game to finish it...

Sushen said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the game becomes incredibly repetitive later? I'm having hard time convincing myself to get back to the game to finish it...

i disagree. i loved the game from start to finish and i never got bored. the game didn't send you on any ridiculous fetch quest or have your objectives for one thing be in a completely different area where you had to backtrack.

but i could see how you wouldn't want to stick with the game all the way through if you didn't really like it from the start. for me i would rather play a game play bioshock a million times over than crawling through games like call of duty

Sushen said:
No, that was the first Bioshock. This one continues to add new enemies, new weapons, new twists, and other things that get rid of the grind that was in the first Bioshock.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
the controls are completely customizable for MP. That might be true of the single player as well, can't remember right now. I never had trouble finding about a month after launch so it should still be busy.

Fucking awesome!

Yeah, probably gonna rebuy the PS3 version then :D

Sushen said:

Only a tad and that's because the levels/objectives are so instanced feeling. Like another person said, one of the objectives is "Get 3 little sisters" =/
It's paced well enough though that just before it overstays it's welcome ala Bio1, you hit the endgame, which I personally ran through due to the circumstances taking place.

ili0926

So I'm in
Fontaine Futuristics
, and I haven't completed my Big Daddy research...will there be any more opportunities to do so?

ili0926 said:
So I'm in
Fontaine Futuristics
, and I haven't completed my Big Daddy research...will there be any more opportunities to do so?

There's 3 big daddys there. I also think that big daddys respawn after a while.

Top Bottom