• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

7he Talon

Wow, great thread OP. Well done.

Reading the OP makes me realise how well done this game was in terms of going into detail.

B33

Banned
I would've said the same thing pre-Inception.

Not to yank the curtain back too far, but Nolan tried to get Inception made for years and couldn't get a studio to bite on the concept. It wasn't until Batman Begins and subsequent films that he could seriously get it off the ground.

It wasn't an easy film to write either. But none really are, eh?

Warner Bros. finally gave him the greenlight to pacify him into returning for a third Batman film, which he originally had no desire to do after Ledger's death and The Dark Knight's nearly universal adulation.

So perhaps it could happen if an auteur that connects with the material, and has the gumption and ideal happenstance steps up to give it a shot. But the odds aren't in its favor.

Has anyone drawn any comparisons to Braid yet? Not only with the whole space-time thing, but also in regards to the
Princess in Braid and what we find out about Tim's relationship to her at the end; that Tim wasn't necessarily trying to save the Princess after all.

I wonder how much Braid influenced Infinite. Has Ken Levine talked about this at all? Am I just crazy in drawing this comparison?

Makes sense I suppose. I'll rewatch on YouTube or something.

I think it makes total sense that way. By turning the "accept" scenario into a paradox, the universe strikes that possibility out completely, leaving only the "reject" scenario. If all possible scenarios involve Booker rejecting baptism, spacetime is never threatened by Comstock's meddling since Comstock never exists.

I'd also have faith in Liz to fix things. In addition to being omniscient throughout all dimensions and timelines, she also read Lutece's books on quantum mechanics. I highly doubt whatever she did by drowning Booker would fail to change things, or she would have done something else instead.

Magnus

So, the crux of it all, is accepting that:

When the universe encounters a paradox due to a choice, it systematically wipes out all timelines associated with that choice, and only allows the timelines with an alternate choice to be made.

Therefore, since Booker accepting baptism and becoming Comstock always winds up in a paradox, the universe goes, "No", wipes those timelines out, and only allows timelines featuring baptism rejection to exist.

Hence, the post-credits scene.

Am I...on the right track?

LiK

When the universe encounters a paradox due to a choice, it systematically wipes out all timelines associated with that choice, and only allows the timelines with an alternate choice to be made.

Therefore, since Booker accepting baptism and becoming Comstock always winds up in a paradox, the universe goes, "No", wipes those timelines out, and only allows timelines featuring baptism rejection to exist.

sounds good to me

That's the best theory I've heard.

And besides, the post-credits scene is the only office flashback where Booker isn't being harassed by Robert Lutece to bring him the girl (correct me if I'm wrong). So this implies that Comstock and the Lutece twins are out of the picture.

DatDude

Banned

An thus everything is reset and Booker never sells elizabeth away

Zeliard

This, is I guess why I find it so confusing. If drowning one Booker -- the one we play as -- solves the issue of any split timelines after the fact. Then surely that's the end of all Bookers henceforth? He can't make the decision to walk away from the baptism because he's drowned just before it. And if you're correct, and every timeline leads to the baptism -- which now leads to certain drowning death -- then he can't go on to have other timelines with Anna as others have suggested.

BioShock Infinite feels like a build your own plot to me. Either because I'm stupid, or the story really isn't as good as everybody thinks it is.

Booker walking away from the baptism isn't ideal because that would just start the chain of events all over again. The Booker we play as is that guy, and we see just that happen.

Every single time Booker walks away from the baptism, he becomes private investigator Booker DeWitt with a daughter Anna that he gives up to Comstock to pay off debts.

Booker had to be killed before even entertaining the choice. That put an end to every possible timeline that would have come from either rejecting or accepting the baptism in a multiverse where Comstock could still exist.

Booker's death now allows for the possibility as others have said that infinite other Bookers will still go to the baptism post-Comstock-oblivion, but every single one of them will refuse it, because to accept it would lead to a paradox. And since no Bookers will ever accept it, there will never be any Comstocks for heavily in-debt Bookers to concern themselves with. An infinite amount of them will still give up Anna to someone, though. :<

The Booker you play in the game is one that rejected baptism. Bookers that reject end up becoming gambling drunks that sell their daughters (Anna) to Comstocks from other dimensions.

After returning to the baptism a second time, I believe it was implied by 1. the priest finishing his speech and 2. different circumstances, Liz says "in some cases, you didn't (reject)" (paraphrase) and the other people are gone.
So I just watched it on YouTube. Yeah, makes sense now. You reject the first time. But, as you pointed out, on returning Elizabeth states that "this isn't the same place" and that "in other places you did reject" -- or something to that extent.

So with that cleared up. I don't even want to think about whether there are now two Bookers in that timeline. Since player Booker seemingly just waltzed in.
KuGsj.gif

Bob White

This...is an amazing way to put it. My brain doesn't hurt and I get it. Awesome.

DatDude

Banned

BruceLeeRoy put this on the first page.

Best, simple, explanation yet IMO.

Nemesis_

In the airship ticket office sectionof the game, how does that woman know Elizabeth's name is Anna?

It makes me wonder if Comstock has informed these people about who Elizabeth really is. She is a cop, right?

Re: the Vox you find after her

NAME: Take Her Alive
AUTHOR: Esther Mailer
DATE: July 6th, 1912

This is the moment we trained for. The False Shepherd is here. The day was not exact, but... the Prophet's sight proves out again. The specimen much be taken alive. If she dies, I suspect they will give us to the bird. And whatever pieces it leaves behind will bear no names... That was cigarette number six. This waiting is insufferable.

So from reading this I guess she was just dispatched by security to retrieve Liz after her rescue by Booker. For some reason, Comstock probably informed them that she could answer to the name of Annabelle maybe? Which highlights that Comstock was aware of her past.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This has been blowing minds, but I thought it was pretty obvious, to the point where I was questioning whether or not the the baptism at the beginning even takes place

Thank you, I thought the same.

Coincidence that she uses a fake name that is actually her real name though? >_>

Obviously, Levine put that in as a wink-wink-nudge-nudge, but the player wouldn't know that until after the game.

Magnus

BruceLeeRoy put this on the first page.

But, simple, explanation yet IMO.

Right.

Did the game ever explain how the Bioshock universe handles paradoxes?

I feel like that would be essential for arriving at this conclusion.

This logic is the missing piece of the puzzle that left me scratching my head. That paradoxes result in 'timeline erasure', as it were.

Or is that just a commonly accepted theory in Quantum Mechanics in our reality?

LiK

Right.

This logic is the missing piece of the puzzle that left me scratching my head. That paradoxes result in 'timeline erasure', as it were.

I don't even know how it applies to Multiverses which complicates matters.

The closest thing to an "orthodoxy" you'll find in physics is the conjecture that paradoxes can never be created in the first place. The most elegant implementation of this is to disallow time machines entirely.

Zeliard

Right.

Most logically, there can't be a paradox. So either we've got the wrong idea about the paradox, or it's the right idea and the universe deals with it in some fashion - in this case, by erasing all possible timelines beyond a certain point.

Dmax3901

I had something to ask or share and then I read this whole thread and now I've forgotten it. And oh great, now my nose is bleeding.

Incredible OT, thanks so much everyone for the work gone into it.

Just remembered: The Order of the Raven were criminally underused. I would like a DLC focussing on/involving them.

Most logically, there can't be a paradox. So either we've got the wrong idea about the paradox, or it's the right idea and the universe deals with it in some fashion - in this case, by erasing all possible timelines beyond a certain point.

Or Elizabeth is a teenage girl who does not have perfect knowledge of all things, and was mistaken about erasing all Comstocks, who still exist in some other universes. But the way the ending seemed was that it had BTTF style "oh no people fading from existence" after Booker got drowned, implying that time traveling Elizabeth committed auto-infanticide, paradoxes be damned.

I think Comstock is dealt with in the ending. No way an omniscient Elizabeth who is already versed in quantum mechanics from Lutece's books fails to fix things.

Magnus

Someone help me understand why the Luteces couldn't just kill Baptismal-Accepting-Booker themselves?

They seem to have practical omniscience and freedom of movement across the universe.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Someone help me understand why the Luteces couldn't just kill Baptismal-Accepting-Booker themselves?

They seem to have practical omniscience and freedom of movement across the universe.

I think it's the same reason that the coin comes up heads every time. They can't change certain things.

LiK

I hope the DLC is playing as all the various factions/cults where you learn their ways and you die to Booker at the end of all of them.

I'm thinking they may have been more interested in using Booker's journey for their experiments. Good question though.

Magnus

I think it's the same reason that the coin comes up heads every time. They can't change certain things.

But we know that Booker can die in that moment. So that can change. Maybe the trick was that they're just limited with where they can go? But Liz is effectively truly omniscient and can go anywhere, do anything? They had to get her to do it?

For evidence that they've tried this 122 times, we just have the chalkboard/coin-flip experiment, right?

I'm thinking they may have been more interested in using Booker's journey for their experiments. Good question though.

I'm happy smiling it off, as a necessity for the game's action and story to occur. I'm just wondering if there's actually a reason provided for why it had to be Liz doing it, or why it couldn't be them doing it.

sn00zer

I honestly think they dont really give a shit, they are omnipresent and god-like, they are a neutral party who is in it for the fun, they have each other and thats all they need

But we know that Booker can die in that moment. So that can change. Maybe the trick was that they're just limited with where they can go? But Liz is effectively truly omniscient and can go anywhere, do anything? They had to get her to do it?

For evidence that they've tried this 122 times, we just have the chalkboard/coin-flip experiment, right?

Cool tidbit about that part, what Booker chooses is randomized. I had to restart and one time he picked heads, another tails.

Magnus

I honestly think they dont really give a shit, they are omnipresent and god-like, they are a neutral party who is in it for the fun, they have each other and thats all they need

I want to believe that, because it's kind of in character for their inquisitive, exploratory nature.

But the game action's catalyst is their remorse, isn't it? Their desire to want to fix things, undo Comstock, etc. So you'd think they'd be more.....driven.

Cool tidbit about that part, what Booker chooses is randomized. I had to restart and one time he picked heads, another tails.

Yeah, when my buddy played the first hour, Booker said tails. Came up heads anyway, of course.

Neiteio

Drowning Booker creates a paradox.

Booker accepts baptism->Liz drowns him->Booker is dead so no Bioshock Infinite->Liz doesn't exist to drown him->etc...

As a paradox, this scenario is obliterated by nature so the only remaining timelines are where Booker refuses baptism. These timelines don't involve any tampering with spacetime and everyone lives happily ever after.

Jack-Nod.gif

Brucey, dearest, if you haven't already, add the quoted items above to the first category in the OP, after The One Who Knocks, listed under the subheading "In other words." :)

I agree. That secret cult was really interesting but we were there for about 15 minutes.
The Fraternal Order of the Raven was an amazing sequence.

The darkness, the birds, the banquet, the statue of John Wilkes Booth, the painting of Booth with a saintly halo as he assassinates a devil-horned Lincoln... And then Columbia's take on Klansmen, and the fellow with the coffin and Murder of Crows, and the racial purity painting, and the black men dead in cages... Chilling stuff, man.

And it's right across the street from the couple holding civil rights meetings in their home!

Oh god damn it
31KZgnr.jpg

EDIT and this...although I did see this one and forgot about it
KeKshmw.jpg
Wow, she used the BioShock 1 wrench to knock out Booker? I didn't catch that.

And yeah, the zeppelin in the opening shot is most definitely meant to mirror the whale outside Rapture in a parallel reality. Simply amazing.

Magnus

What my brain is just coming around to realize, is that:

The Luteces basically didn't like the sequence of events that occurred in their timeline. So, they actively sought to create a paradox, as a means of wiping out those timelines. Would that be correct?

Timeline destruction.

Fascinating.

tumblr_lwh1902GQD1qdiysmo1_1280.jpg

But at the end of the day...given an infinite number of realities...aren't there realities where the Luteces didn't actively seek to do this? And thus, Comstock went ahead and survived?

Doesn't a multiverse theory's central tenet hold that ALL possibilities happen? Everything conceivable occurs, in some universe somewhere out there? That it can't just be shut off by stopping a choice from being made?

Bioshock I starts in an airplane and then takes place in the ocean, where as in Infinite, it starts in a boat and then takes place in the sky. Kinda like a yin and yang relationship.
Whoever said that clearly doesn't know anything about said concepts.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Not sure. My thought process was that even though they knew he could die there, they weren't the ones who could do it. He would somehow survive every time they were the ones who tried. But they knew that he could die there but didn't know how to string it together so that it would be perfect.

Even when you see multiple versions of yourself walking around the lighthouses, something had to have changed with those versions so that he didn't die right?

Top Bottom