• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Vire

Songbird is the plane

UmpOi.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Boys of Silence came off as late additions to me. They're blind/have hearing supplements on their ears yet you can run right by them, aren't really explained and don't seem to have any actual movement animation. I still liked the Comstock House segment a lot bearing that in mind.
apparently they were actually a relatively early inclusion that were meant to function like "moving security cameras". Obviously they weren't working well, so I suspect they were reigned way, way in.

DatDude

Banned
Boys of Silence came off as late additions to me. They're blind/have hearing supplements on their ears yet you can run right by them, aren't really explained and don't seem to have any actual movement animation. I still liked the Comstock House segment a lot bearing that in mind.

Yup. The atmosphere felt really haunted house-esq.

Gave a really nice spooky moody atmosphere that was missing from a lot of the previous levels.

Salamando

I think there's something just in general were missing about that place.

Seems random in a way..but the game is anything but. So obviously it has a purpose..I'm guessing maybe a more thematic/metaphorical/symbolism approach is in order.

The entire Comstock House level took place during Winter 1984 during old Elizabeth's timeline. Not that surprising that they don't fit in with the rest of the game then.

The interesting thing are the creepy founders-masked guys there. They had the "out of phase" vibrating thing going on for 'em, like they were shuffled there due to tearing accidents elsewhere. And yet, the Boys had the power to wake them up and bring them in-phase. Very curious.

Dmax3901

In one of the House of Comstock Voxaphones Elizabeth mentioned creating monsters, I figured the Boys of Silence were just one of those monsters that she was forced/brainwashed to create after being tortured.

Vire

With the other monsters, they at least went out of their way to justify.

The Handymen had that terminally ill cancer story and the Songbird had Fink's diagram and all that jazz.

I just wish there was something small for the Boys of Silence.

bender

What time is it?
That's what I kind of loathe about any fiction that deals with space/time fuckery -- eventually, you can start to either rationalize anything, or find holes in anything.

And that's why I hate Terminator 2. It's probably best not to think about it too much.

Regarding dying at the first Baptism, that was my gut reaction while playing the game. At the very least it was a clue or foreshadowing that was only strengthened for how you arrive at Battleship Bay. Murdering Comstack by drowning him affirmed my suspensions that he and Booker were one and the same and that Booker and Elizabeth were related. Those were my thoughts during the game. Drowning being my first takeaway beyond the parallels (probably not the right word to describe it) of the intros to Bioshock and Infinite. In retrospect, I'm not sure if you die or not during that first Baptism (probably not, my gut instincts are generally wrong).

I'm thankful for this thread as it's filled in a ton of gaps. I'd really like to play through again to see what clues I missed along the way but truth be told, I hated the gun play. I'm not sure if that's Infinite's fault or just my fatigue of shooters but I'd have been happier with a third of the enemies and a brisker pace.

Dumb question but is there a reason for this adventure to have existed beyond the obvious of telling the story. Is there something accomplished in the journey that let Booker be killed before he could make the Baptism choice?

DatDude

Banned
Disregard the yin yang...mirror would have been more appropriate....Im actually starting to think mirror/reflection was a huge theme of this game, and the conflict that is created when the two meet but going to need some more proof

Well actually

-Booker/Comstock
-Baptized/Unbaptized
-Air/Sea (Literal reflection of Rapture)
-Dimwit/Duke
-Parent/Offspring
-Sane/Insane
-Sunshine/Storm
-Luteces
-Revolution/Complacency (Fink's Factory)
-Extravagance/Derelict (Ghetto)
-Coin Toss
-Dead/Undead (Lin, Elizabeth's mother)
-Final Sequence was very similar to a hall of mirrors, especially due to the uniformity of it all
Hall-of-mirrors-Prague.jpg

-Militant Atheism/Religion
-Aged/Youth (booker/comstock, elizabeth old/young)
-The bird and the cage is also from this poplar illusion simliar to a coin
25549376eb124ca082917acd4e76b47b_pub.gif

-Obvious use of reflection and water at key scenes (baptisms, Comstock is killed in a baptismal font, you first see Bookers reflection in a makeshift baptismal font in the light house )
-As someone in this thread pointed out the whale image is flipped and should look like this
9oGDuaQ.png

And finally
-A bird guards a cage

Really interesting post!

Also I wanted to give a shoutout to this:

Hey everyone, I did a piano cover of the song "Will the circle be unbroken" I just think the melody is so beautiful, I just had to do a slow piano version of it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbJHihrQY4

Really sums up the Infinite experience in that melody.

DatDude

Banned
With the other monsters, they at least went out of their way to justify.

The Handymen had that terminally ill cancer story and the Songbird had Fink's diagram and all that jazz.

I just wish there was something small for the Boys of Silence.

probably dlc

Does Mama Ghost actually revive real corpses in the game, or just spawn new ones? The old Siren sounds more interesting.

Well in all the areas you fight her there are already plenty of dead corpses for her to revive. I don't think she spawns new ones but she can forever keep raising ones you have already put down time and time again.

Squire

Banned
The early portion of the game with Slate is crazy in retrospect. I mean... He was right. He always was just not in a way I knew. I'm not sure if I'm happy I spared him or if I feel even worse about it. :/

The early portion of the game with Slate is crazy in retrospect. I mean... He was right. He always was just not in a way I knew. I'm not sure if I'm happy I spared him or if I feel even worse about it. :/

If you spare him and then shoot him in his vegetated state Elizabeths reaction is very cool.

if you boot up Bioshock for the 360 using a PS3 controller and start a new file Jack will turn to the left in his seat and wave to Songbird as he hurtles into the ocean

SystemBug

I don't know if the ending hit me harder than the one in Spec Ops: The Line but man....but man...

While the Songbird was drowning, I looked over to see where we were and then it hit me. This game was a massive undertaking, narratively speaking, and I am so glad they pulled it off the way it did.

We need more games like this...a lot more.

beastmode

The moral of the story is that you can't wash away your past so you should go back in time to kill all the versions of you that have made a mistake.

Neiteio

Did not mind the Boys too much, but if the Siren / Lady Comstock was more recurring I would have lost my frikken mind. Three was enough!!!
I think the Boys' new form was quite effective. Limited in use, but memorable for it. They're now "the creatures in Comstock House," rather than "just another special enemy."

The horns went from hearing devices in Levine's original design, to loudspeakers that sound the alarm and rally the masked men in the final game. Given the fact they were sentries of an asylum near their leader, Elizabeth, it seemed appropriate there'd be these creatures whose only purpose is to be on the lookout.

I'm not clear on the nature of the inmates, though. They flicker in the ghostly manner of people who are alive in one timeline, but dead in another, and are now caught between the two planes. Creepy, if that's the case.

As for the siren... I also like the choice to go with Lady Comstock. It gave the proceedings leading up to Comstock House a unique supernatural feeling, and added drama with the motherly connection to Elizabeth (or so she thinks). The idea of trailing ghostly footprints fit the atmosphere, too (broiling black clouds, etc).

Really, what impresses me about Infinite -- and more to the point, Levine -- is how Levine was willing to cut, and cut a lot, to make the game better. He could've threw everything and the kitchen sink at us, and it would've been a game five times as long (based on the claim they made enough content for five games). But it would've risked being bulky, cumbersome, unwieldly and unfocused.

I actually suspect that's where they went wrong with the latter half of BioShock 1. Atlus/Fontaine is interesting and all, but for me, that game peters out after the twist, and hits its absolute low point at the generic Quake boss that closes out the game. It's like they felt the need to keep adding filler, filler, filler. For the most part, Infinite avoided this problem.

As it stands, the Infinite we got feels refined, refined, refined... Lithe as can be.

Vire

The moral of the story is that you can't wash away your past so you should go back in time to kill all the versions of you that have made a mistake.

I know you are joking but it made me realize that the very first sign you read in the game is "Of Thy Sins Shall I Wash Thee" and Booker says "Good Luck with that Pal" and refuses to use the basin. (Baptism)

It's staggering how many times the themes of the game are reiterated throughout the game.

About the Lucetes...

Maybe their problem is that they can only be where they have been, so they can't travel or go back in a time where they've never stepped foot at.

Honestly though, I'm veering towards them being joker characters that exists to only further the plot. It's fine by me though, seeing how fun having them is.

Nemesis_

Really, what impresses me about Infinite -- and more to the point, Levine -- is how Levine was willing to cut, and cut a lot, to make the game better. He could've threw everything and the kitchen sink at us, and it would've been a game five times as long (based on the claim they made enough content for five games). But it would've risked being bulky, cumbersome, unwieldly and unfocused.

This is, of course, probably not 100% true but Ken has said that the DLC won't be any of the cut content - he claims most of it was cut for very good reason.

But you hit the nail on the head, Neit.

DatDude

Banned
I think the Boys' new form was quite effective. Limited in use, but memorable for it. They're now "the creatures in Comstock House," rather than "just another special enemy."

The horns went from hearing devices in Levine's original design, to loudspeakers that sound the alarm and rally the masked men in the final game. Given the fact they were sentries of an asylum near their leader, Elizabeth, it seemed appropriate there'd be these creatures whose only purpose is to be on the lookout.

I'm not clear on the nature of the inmates, though. They flicker in the ghostly manner of people who are alive in one timeline, but dead in another, and are now caught between the two planes. Creepy, if that's the case.

As for the siren... I also like the choice to go with Lady Comstock. It gave the proceedings leading up to Comstock House a unique supernatural feeling, and added drama with the motherly connection to Elizabeth (or so she thinks). The idea of trailing ghostly footprints fit the atmosphere, too (broiling black clouds, etc).

I actually suspect that's where they went wrong with the latter half of BioShock 1. Atlus/Fontaine is interesting and all, but for me, that game peters out after the twist, and hits its absolute low point at the generic Quake boss that closes out the game. It's like they felt the need to keep adding filler, filler, filler. For the most part, Infinite avoided this problem.

As it stands, the Infinite we got feels refined, refined, refined... Lithe as can be.

The thing with Infinite already though is that Levine could've benefited from cutting/trimming a bit more. Honestly, it's a 10 hour game, but I think the narrative would've felt much more fluid if lasted 5-6 hours tops.

That might sound like blasphemy to some....

I feel like the Boys of Silence are great where they are because they illustrate just how far gone Old Elizabeth is, and how much she's like Comstock now. The Boys of Silence are essentially her creation, her "guards" in place of the Handymen/Patriots that Comstock uses. In addition, the Boys of Silence serve to summon in the insane people. And if you want to get dark, imagine if Old Elizabeth intentionally opened tears and killed people in one universe and left them alive in another to create these insane watch dogs for her personal area.

Mobius 1

I can't stop thinking about this. I've never experienced anything like it.

There is a poignancy and sense of loss that I can't shake.

I got through Infinite just fine but the first Bioshock bored me to death and I couldn't finish it. Should I try again?

I thought about replaying Bioshock, but a few people told me it might not hold up too well going back from Infinite. I still think it'd be worth it to try again, though.

sappyday

I can't stop thinking about this. I've never experienced anything like it.

There is a poignancy and sense of loss that I can't shake.
I feel the same as well. The only way to comfort myself is by having Albert Fink's version of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" on repeat and reading this thread.

Truant

Liz opening the tear at the end of Infinite causes the plane in BS1 to crash!

THINK ABOUT IT GUYS.

GUYS

Think about it.

Nemesis_

Watched that early gameplay demo.

Interesting to see the buildings powered by Balloons. I realise it was a bit risky to move to a quantum physics based angle for the powering of the buildings but I think it works much better. Balloons seem too primitive and unpredictable :p

Also, Saltsonstall was going to be a character who WAS Comstock?

I love watching this video - so much stuff has changed and so much stuff has been retooled. It's great.

The way that Saltonstall gets angry when you step up was very demonic / supernatural in nature - very creepy.

And the main ideals for Columbia seems to be more about patriotism than religion.

She then kills him before the choice can be made, and as Booker dies, since Liz can no longer be alive, she disappears as the screen fades to black. The different Elizabeth's fading are all the Elizabeths across all the dimensions fading out of existence as Booker is killed since if Booker doesn't exist neither can the Elizabeth of Columbia.

This isn't what happens. The original Elizabeth doesn't fade away. Why? This is one of my last remaining questions.

54-46!

I got through Infinite just fine but the first Bioshock bored me to death and I couldn't finish it. Should I try again?

Really? it was the opposite for me, I appreciate Infinite's lore and story but the parts where I actually had to play it weren't anything special. It felt like any other shooter out there, where I would just walk in a single direction and wander in to another combat arena, duke it out and move on.

Exploring Rapture was amazing, the environment felt like it was lived in and combat seemed like it could happen at any time, especially with the Big Daddies roaming the levels and occasionally fighting splicers on their own. Maybe it's nostalgia playing tricks on me, but I remember the original Bioshock being more open ended in terms of where you could go and how the combat encounters played out.

This isn't what happens. The original Elizabeth doesn't fade away. Why? This is one of my last remaining questions.
Well, for every piano note each Elizabeth fades away, the final note plays when the screen goes black.

Scratch

do you ever think the citizens of columbia wonder what the fuck is wrong with booker as he rustles through their shit, trashcans, and eats their food that's sitting right next to them?

do you ever think the citizens of columbia wonder what the fuck is wrong with booker as he rustles through their shit, trashcans, and eats their food that's sitting right next to them?

Why is there a hot dog in a cash register?

Why would you eat cake off a corpse?

Toilet potato...........

sappyday

Liz opening the tear at the end of Infinite causes the plane in BS1 to crash!

THINK ABOUT IT GUYS.

GUYS

Think about it.

Well if Ken purposely used the same audio track for Songbird's death from that part of the first BioShock then that would mean Jack was already in Rapture when Elizabeth opened the tear.

God I hate the fact that I rented this game off of Gamefly. I was never hyped for this game. The reason I even rented it was because my friend was super hyped for it and begged me to rent it for him since he couldn't afford it at the moment. I enjoyed Bioshock but it never blew me away so I never payed much attention to Infinite. It was probably a good thing.

I'm probably gonna wait till a GoTY version in order to play the DLC.

Sullichin

I thought about replaying Bioshock, but a few people told me it might not hold up too well going back from Infinite. I still think it'd be worth it to try again, though.

I went back to Bioshock and it still holds up pretty well, looks great on PC too. The shooting is far better in Infinite and I keep using med packs when I mean to crouch because the controls are different though. Oh and hacking gets old really fast. It feels more like a horror game thanks to the darker atmosphere and the scaled back combat encounters - there's not really defined combat areas, just splicers and big daddys walking around the levels. Plus, you can revisit previous areas with much more freedom than Infinite. Although Rapture feels much smaller than Columbia, it's more of an interconnected world.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

The "disappearing" note plays as the whole scene goes to black, suggesting that it is that whole "probability-verse" that vanishes, along with the final Elizabeth.

I don't think it is the original Elizabeth at the end either; she isn't wearing the choker you chose for her and "your" Elizabeth wouldn't be old enough to have those powers or even attend the baptism... y'know, since Booker hasn't had her yet.

BeerSnob

Well if Ken purposely used the same audio track for Songbird's death from that part of the first BioShock then that would mean Jack was already in Rapture when Elizabeth opened the tear.

They probably just used a stock "whale noise" audio sample for B1 and used the same sample again for songbird after distorting it. It's not laziness that I'm inferring, I'm guessing that base sound is in their assets library and they pull from it to make stuff.

XeroSauce

I much prefer the nice daylight and fire of Infinite to Bioshock 1's dark and dreary environment, but I don't like horror games in general.

God damn. I cannot be the only one to have sat through the entire credits realizing every symbolic thing happening throughout the game.

I think what's most obvious - and I adored the game, don't get me wrong - is that the narrative as we know it came late. I don't think it was always intended to be what it is, simply because there are so many disparate elements that seem to be there still - the ghost originally being a singer in the world, the boys originally walking around the whole thing, the stuff we saw in the earlier gameplay matinees. This always happens, which is fine. I think it's deft use of whatever. But people thinking that stuff was established a few years ago for anything to do with the narrative are really grasping at straws, I think.

I much prefer the nice daylight and fire of Infinite to Bioshock 1's dark and dreary environment, but I don't like horror games in general.

God damn. I cannot be the only one to have sat through the entire credits realizing every symbolic thing happening throughout the game.

Nah. I was mulling everything over in my head. And then the scene after the credits gave me some hope.

Top Bottom