• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Enough people in the thread have given you reasonable explanations as to why it happened. The fact is, you're insistent on bringing up things like jackets and bacteria to disprove the theory. Yes, for all we know, if a cat was caught in a tear and lost its leg, the cat would be able to jump between timelines. But you're going into very nitpicky details.

The Luteces were one-of-a-kind scientists that designed the tear machine in the first place. Most of the explanations in the game (why Comstock aged faster, was sterile, why Elizabeth had powers) were Lutece's theories, not facts. The /fact/ is, Comstock killed the Luteces before they could research more with Elizabeth. The entire point of him killing Lady Comstock and the Luteces was Comstock wanted the tears and Elizabeth to himself and not for anybody else to gain her powers. He wanted to groom her to become the all-powerful God and only her, after he'd brainwashed her into believing him. He didn't care about understanding her, he only wanted to fulfill his prophecy of doom.

Hell, cut out the middle man and have Comstock cut his own pinkie off with a tear either by the Luteces or his own "daughter". He might even be able to find a way to prevent his own death.

Dylan

Dunno if a real/fake consensus was formed on that Songbird scream in Bioshock 1(not reading back through 30 pages) but it's in this video from 2009 so can't have been patched in recently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJTdMx06tso

Has anyone made an attempt to find the same sound effect in other areas of Bioshock 1? I thought it might have just been an effect they originally used to scary-up the ambiance, and then realized it made a good bird scream when they were making Infinite.

Neiteio

The Fly.

Also imagine if the power were created by the cleaving of the finger, what you are left with is an infant, a very hurt and angry infant with the powers of a God. Logic says that wouldn't last long before the whole universe was torn apart. No, the finger is not a good explanation.
The way she was parted, she has some agency over her powers, but that agency doesn't develop in earnest until she has her first period, as indicated on the growth chart in the lab where we see her power levels spiked like 1000%. As an infant, there was no such risk; she was not yet mature enough to trigger her powers on the scale she can as a young adult.

The Fly.

Also imagine if the power were created by the cleaving of the finger, what you are left with is an infant, a very hurt and angry infant with the powers of a God. Logic says that wouldn't last long before the whole universe was torn apart. No, the finger is not a good explanation.

You're moving from one point to another, desperately trying to grasp on a valid one. Unfortunately, this doesn't work either, because I'm sure Elizabeth's studying on quantum mechanics lead to her being able to open these tears. She couldn't just open them up willy-nilly as a kid.

EDIT:I also forgot about the power charts. Thanks Neiteio.

SmithnCo

It is a non-repeatable event, though, or a highly improbable one, at least. We don't know the exact way in which the universe collapsed on her finger, the exact distribution of one part or another. Maybe it's the way she's taken through; maybe it's the timing with which she was parted. We can't say that simply lopping off your finger this way does the trick. There's probably more to the -way- it was lopped off than that. Again, this is phenomena no one in the game understands. All we know is that, in some way, it was linked to the moment where she was split between timelines.

Also, the explanations for Marvel superheroes are terrible. Might want to pick a better example and not point to fiction that actually is terrible.

Her age could've been a factor too, after all she grew up while "split" between dimensions. I like that they keep it a bit mysterious.

Dylan

There's an alternate universe where the Baptism is attended by nothing but severed pinkies, all smoking weed and singing Fortunate Son.

Guevara

I can't decide if the Luteces are supposed to be super powerful (they can warp around at will) or basically ghosts.

I'd lean toward being ghosts, but they are able to row you to the lighthouse.

Neiteio

At the end of the day, I can easily accept the notion that an accident gave her powers. And the fact is, an accident involving time-space giving one fantastical powers is a much easier pill for me to swallow than anything involving powers from gamma radiation. Marvel Comics would not hold up nearly so well under intense scrutiny.

At the end of the day, I can easily accept the notion that an accident gave her powers. And the fact is, an accident involving time-space giving one fantastical powers is a much easier pill for me to swallow than anything involving powers from gamma radiation. Marvel Comics would not hold up nearly so well under intense scrutiny.

It's silly that he brought those up as solid justifications of one's power.

Neiteio

It's silly that he brought those up as solid justifications of one's power.
Him mentioning Marvel Comics as his baseline for good science fiction explanations kind of invalidates his critique, imo, but he's still entitled to an opinion and the right to express it and be treated respectfully. :)

Salamando

I can't decide if the Luteces are supposed to be super powerful (they can warp around at will) or basically ghosts.

I felt they were like Elizabeth's powers taken to a completely different level. Where as Liz just had a pinkie left in another dimension, their machine blowing up likely scattered assorted body parts to multiple dimensions...possibly all of them.

Trigger

What are you talking about? Radioactive spider bites are perfectly plausible.

I'm sure someone has explained this, but why is it that when you kill Comstock he acts like he was expecting it/planning it? He says 'the cycle is complete' or something and be acting all smug. I know he's willing to sacrifice himself as long Elizabeth turns out he planned, but at that point it looks like it's not happening his way in that particular universe, right?

I agree as well. I just finished it, and while I wholly enjoyed the game, I really felt it dragged in the middle. In Finkton doing the Chen Lin stuff, I was not into the game. When it got to the "oh now we have to go get his tools back!" I just rolled my eyes and groaned.

I had a few problems with the differences between the final game and what was teased in 2011. I was really looking forward to doing combos and actual team up work with Elizabeth :( I thought it was going to be a really intuitive co-op A.I. character. During combat she was demoted to not much more than an items dispenser.

Zeliard

I'm sure someone has explained this, but why is it that when you kill Comstock he acts like he was expecting it/planning it? He says 'the cycle is complete' or something and be acting all smug. I know he's willing to sacrifice himself as long Elizabeth turns out he planned, but at that point it looks like it's not happening his way in that particular universe, right?

Because killing Comstock there doesn't actually fix anything, and Comstock knew that.

Actually everything happens as he's seen it at that point. What he didn't see was his preferred future Elizabeth pulling Booker into her timeline and giving him the code to give to his Elizabeth. Without that code, the Song Bird defeats/kills Booker and Elizabeth fulfills the prophecy.

Actually everything happens as he's seen it at that point. What he didn't see was his preferred future Elizabeth pulling Booker into her timeline and giving him the code to give to his Elizabeth. Without that code, the Song Bird defeats/kills Booker and Elizabeth fulfills the prophecy.

I think I understand, thanks.

Korey

Can someone explain the menarche thing? Its found in one of those three test tube things with levers right? What are those tubes for or what are they supposed to demonstrate when you pull the lever?

Is her period marked on the age chart or just inferred?

Hell, cut out the middle man and have Comstock cut his own pinkie off with a tear either by the Luteces or his own "daughter". He might even be able to find a way to prevent his own death.

The reasoning for the pinky being related to Elizabeth's powers was just a hypothesis by Lutece. It's not cold hard fact within the game's logic, and not something Comstock KNEW he could just recreate/do to create the powers for himself. I like to believe Elizabeth's powers were granted to her by the universe to correct the paradoxical split timelines.

Honestly, it is really that hard to believe in a fictional game where there's a floating city?

FStop7

Banned

They are the "ghosts in the machine", the "x factor", "free radicals", etc.

See: Gollum.

Can someone explain the menarche thing? Its found in one of those three test tube things with levers right? What are those tubes for or what are they supposed to demonstrate when you pull the lever?

The things in the tubes were just significant items she interacted with throughout her life. The whole experiments conducted within the tower was created to suppress her powers, least she become as omnipotent and powerful as she did at the very end.

Korey

Enough people in the thread have given you reasonable explanations as to why it happened. The fact is, you're insistent on bringing up things like jackets and bacteria to disprove the theory. Yes, for all we know, if a cat was caught in a tear and lost its leg, the cat would be able to jump between timelines. But you're going into very nitpicky details.

The Luteces were one-of-a-kind scientists that designed the tear machine in the first place. Most of the explanations in the game (why Comstock aged faster, was sterile, why Elizabeth had powers) were Lutece's theories, not facts. The /fact/ is, Comstock killed the Luteces before they could research more with Elizabeth. The entire point of him killing Lady Comstock and the Luteces was Comstock wanted the tears and Elizabeth to himself and not for anybody else to gain her powers. He wanted to groom her to become the all-powerful God and only her, after he'd brainwashed her into believing him. He didn't care about understanding her, he only wanted to fulfill his prophecy of doom.
lutece's "theories" are presented as theories but as a video game, specifically a bioshock game you're supposed to take it as fact.

its irrelevant though. having your body be in two universes is how the power happens. Elizabeth is the only person it has happened to and will ever happen to so it doesnt matter how overpowered it is.

The reasoning for the pinky being related to Elizabeth's powers was just a hypothesis by Lutece. It's not cold hard fact within the game's logic, and not something Comstock KNEW he could just recreate/do to create the powers for himself. I like to believe Elizabeth's powers we granted to her by the universe to correct the paradoxical split timelines.

Honestly, it is really that hard to believe in a fictional game where there's a floating city?

Oooo, that's fuckin interesting.

They are vast hyper intelligent pan dimensional beings.

238249-mice___men_super.jpg

Nome

I'm sure Slate knew.

"Booker" was not at the Boxer Rebellion. That took place post-transformation. Comstock took Columbia over to China and unleashed his forces (led by Slate) to crush the rebellion. But Comstock took the credit for having been in the battle himself, which angered Slate. Which is why he calls Comstock a tin soldier - because he was no longer the man he respected from Wounded Knee. So seeing Booker DeWitt appear, Slate knew that this was the chance to get the honorable death he sought from the man he respected.

Yeah, considering Columbia razed Peking to the ground in Comstock's timeline and not Booker's, it's kind of surprising Booker had zero reaction to finding out about it.

neoism

guys question why didn't booker cease to exit when he drowned Comshock if he is Comshock..... lol this games ending is insane still dun really understand it and I read the OP

I agree as well. I just finished it, and while I wholly enjoyed the game, I really felt it dragged in the middle. In Finkton doing the Chen Lin stuff, I was not into the game. When it got to the "oh now we have to go get his tools back!" I just rolled my eyes and groaned.

That whole section feels sloppy. Fink and Fitzroy needed more development, instead their departure feels sudden.

guys question why didn't booker cease to exit when he drowned Comshock if he is Comshock..... lol this games ending is insane still dun really understand it and I read the OP

I believe it's because he basically drowned a different Universe's version of himself. He didn't do anything to stop himself existing; at that point he and Comstock are different people moulded from the same template.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I just finished it. The bioshock 1 part was great... I'm not sure how I feel about the ending yet, I sure didn't see it coming though.

I had zero interest of purchasing the DLC Season pass until I just finished the game... Dammit.

FStop7

Banned
I just wanted to say how much I liked the Lutece "twins." Their snappy, witty and snarky dialogue. The way they politely bicker with each other. The fact they're the same person and yet it seems that Robert has more of a conscience than Rosalind. Jennifer Hale does a good British accent, too.

The test tubes each had items that were of significant importance to her. By pulling on the lever you got a glimpse of how they would change to the Elizabeth in other realities as it simulated a tear.

I just wanted to say how much I liked the Lutece "twins." Their snappy, witty and snarky dialogue. The way they politely bicker with each other. The fact they're the same person and yet it seems that Robert has more of a conscience than Rosalind. Jennifer Hale does a good British accent, too.

The music that accompanied their arrival, and their witty dialogue. Yeah they were wonderful.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. The handymen were never meant to be the big daddies of Columba, or be Elizabeth keeper. From the very first gameplay demonstration you could see it was always Elizabeth running away from the Song Bird.

This.

-The City uses balloons and propellers instead of those weird quantum whatevers to float
-No Songbird, the handyman juxtaposition with the big daddy has to be intentional
-Whats up with Elizabeths powers? She has Bucking Bronco?

It's totally different than the actual game, and the actual game has a lot of those explained with story elements.

FluxWaveZ

That's still a grey area I think, but I'm inclined to think he is, just going by the tone of his voice when he calls out her name.

Also it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to know that they will live happily every after, so that's what I choose to believe.

Might have been mentioned before, but even if the Booker in the post-credits scene recalls the events of Infinite, dude still apparently owes a lot of money to the wrong kinds of people, maybe going back to alcohol and more gambling as a way to cope.

DatDude

Banned
Skimming through the other spoiler thread, I think maybe part of the reason the ending didn't hit me as well as I thought it should have is simply how strange and matter of fact Elizabeth(s) is when she kills you, and basically kills herself. The whole "smother" in monotone unison thing was just sort of creepy and then they kill you without remorse. Its a somber moment but still, this person is your father and he just saved your life.

I think you have to look at it from the perspective of Elizabeth.

This man, who is your father, who you begin to become attached to, not only gave up you for money just to pay off a gambling debt as a little baby...which lead her to be locked in a cage for 19 years of her life, constantly be studied and experimented on like a lab rat...never getting to experience a childhood, never getting to experience love, never getting to experience anything except the plethora of books in her study.

Now, when a man comes 19 years later, who has come to "rescue" her..his only motivation, once again to pay off a gambling debt....and happens to once again be her father.

Put yourself in Elizabeth shoes. How would you handle it? What would there be to talk about?

BeerSnob

Might have been mentioned before, but even if the Booker in the post-credits scene recalls the events of Infinite, dude still apparently owes a lot of money to the wrong kinds of people, maybe going back to alcohol and more gambling as a way to cope.

He just killed an entire army of men and deadly machines, I can't imagine who he could possibly owe money to that would give him pause.

FStop7

Banned
Skimming through the other spoiler thread, I think maybe part of the reason the ending didn't hit me as well as I thought it should have is simply how strange and matter of fact Elizabeth(s) is when she kills you, and basically kills herself. The whole "smother" in monotone unison thing was just sort of creepy and then they kill you without remorse. Its a somber moment but still, this person is your father and he just saved your life.

Especially considering how the good end to Bioshock was kind of touching, I guess maybe I just wanted some little bit of catharsis after they reveal that Booker= Comstock. Give that moment some breathing room (heh) and maybe one chance to say goodbye to Elizabeth before they dunk you, knowing that you're both Comstock and Booker. Its just so sudden, which maybe was their intent too I suppose.

Maybe since I kind of saw the Booker=Comstock reveal coming in some fashion, I was hoping the characters in the game would have something more to say about that revelation and have a little meditation on that fact. Instead its just dumped at the very last second and you're killed.

Elizabeth starts the game somewhat naive and full of wonder and finishes the game in a very dark place. She's burdened with having murdered Fitzroy, with having been tortured by Comstock, with having killed the Songbird, with having seen the terrible side of life in Columbia for the weak and oppressed as well as the aftermath of the Vox revolution, with the confrontation with her 'mother', and with coming to terms with who and what she is.

When you first encounter here she is bright and fresh faced, by the end she's world weary with dark circles around her eyes. She's been through and seen some shit. And I think she comes to realize that she has fulfilled her purpose and that with her tremendous powers that she can never have a normal life nor will the world be safe with her around.

So... I know people are very high on BS:I right now, and thus this won't be a popular opinion... but I feel like it was a bunch of pretentious wankery that is only being lauded as genius because our medium has so few "big budget" examples of real avante garde thinking/narrative.

The entire Rapture bit felt like pandering, and worse, felt like a self-aware Ken Levine recognizing that he has been telling the exact same story, moderately well, for more than a decade now.

In the realm if "multiple-world-theory" themed sci-fi, this is merely "me too" fiction, and as a commentary on player agency it is Levine repeating himself, while his betters have moved on and are working on ways where player agency PRECISELY means something to building a shared post-modern story between author and player.

Ironically, I got Spec Ops for free preordering this, and felt it was a massively superior exercise in game narrative. And hell... it even had pop songs in it too. :p

Bioshock Infinite has about the same appeal as the God-awful film, The Butterfly Effect, and is only held to a different standard as it it a video-game.

Edit: Or Donnie Darko (also ironically with a Tears for Fears cover) now that I think about it. In fact the more I think about Infinite's ending the less impressed I am.

Top Bottom