• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

tass0

Banned
What an insane ending. I just read the OP and a bunch of this thread. I didn't see it, but did anyone address Slate? He was yelling about how Comstock wasn't in the battle at all, and I was wondering about that. Was that addressed anywhere in the game? I kept looking for an aha moment related to that, but it never happened.

As far as I understood it, Slate wasn't aware that Comstock was the Booker DeWitt that he fought alongside with during the battle of Wounded Knee, so I'm going to go with that.

RDreamer

As far as I understood it, Slate wasn't aware that Comstock was the Booker DeWitt that he fought alongside with during the battle of Wounded Knee, so I'm going to go with that.

Yeah, that's what I've come to. I wish I hadn't analyzed that, because it doesn't make much sense in universe for him to not know that he would have been baptized and changed his name, etc.

Neiteio

I will certainly agree that Daisy Fitzroy is an underdeveloped character, but I don't think that the Vox turning out to be power-hungry and violent jerks is far off from the mark - Elizabeth herself makes a romanticized comparison to Les Miserables early in the game, when anyone with a history book knows the French Revolution was a lot more grisly than that. That's the point Infinite is trying to make with the Vox - that a justified response can easily go too far. It's definitely the weakest part of Infinite's script, but I think the issue lies more with it being rushed than it being wrong or racist.

As for Booker being a shitty character to play as, the writer is sort of glossing over some things. For one, we know Booker is incredibly remorseful, remorseful enough to fall into a self-destruction spiral. We also know he's a self-loathing, disassociative Pinkerton - essentially, Booker is a bad dude so up to his neck in badness that he ceased to care. Reprehensible? Absolutely, but he's a character, not a real human being, and I'm always on board for interesting horrible people as characters.

As for their assertion that minorities never have their stories told? 100% agree, but that's less Bioshock's as a specific game's fault and more an industry-wide problem. I think there are some good points in this blog posts, underneath the weird character assassination bits and (what I'd consider) misinterpretation of the story.
More or less my thoughts on that essay, except I don't think Daisy was rushed -- I think she was in it just long enough to make the intended point without muddying up the narrative flow -- and likewise with the Indians, where it's already established Booker feels horrible about it, and all attention is placed on resolving the current crisis involving Booker becoming a far worse figure in Comstock. And regarding Booker's "badness," I don't think he "ceased to care" about the fact he had done bad things, but more like he was paralyzed by them and thought himself irredeemable, drinking away his depression.

Oh, and I totally agree that the essay writer's character assassination of the Kotaku fellow, Ken Levine, etc, is completely unnecessary. As someone noted, the violent rage the writer expresses makes the game's depiction of the Vox seem all too accurate. The persecuted begin to feel that anyone party to their persecution should be soundly destroyed... which as historical regime change in real life has shown us, leads to many innocent people getting hurt.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What do people think about this article?

http://designislaw.tumblr.com/post/...nfinite-and-the-terrible-case-for-banning-all

(I'm not supporting or going against it; just food for thought)

I guess someone totally missed the Irish in the game.

I will agree that the Vox story was not handled that well. I really saw no need to make Daisy as bad as Comstock, but ultimately, it didn't impact the main storyline at all. The Vox were little more than a side mission. Yeah, you keep fighting them for the most the rest of the game, but the Vox cold have been cut, and future encounters replaced with Comstock's men without any changes to the main narrative.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesomeness, duh.

That said, I don't know why people say this is not a good ad. I mean, I've seen worse.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I still don't get the elizabeth hanging thing from there. No idea how that would have ever fit into the game.

It's interesting that more people aren't upset about it.

Eh... I think its similar to the early gameplay videos. So much of the game has changed and the final product is so good that I'm not too bothered. I'm more curious to know what the development process was like and what different iterations the game went through.

I don't even think that commercial is that good. Both Elizabeth and Booker have very Uncanny Valley sort of faces there.

I just finished the game.

It was great, and this is coming from someone who didn't like bioshock too much. In particular, it was very well paced. Story was great fun, interpreted most of the game as theories in the OP, except for the elizabeth murdering all bookers scene, which mostly confused me but which I could somehow accept led to the epilogue.

It reminded me of (don't highlight if you dont want see names of movie/game with similar thematic elements)
looper and infamous.

The thing which perhaps made me the happiest about the ending is that I wasn't crazy about girls just want to have fun being part of the OST. I thought I was going nuts at that part. :)

This said, I do agree that equating Daisy Fitzroy with Comstock was a severe mistake. The game is not very subtle in his political message, but this felt really unnecessary for the whole plot, and as a result, (hopefully inadvertently) racist-ish.

RoKKeR

Just started a second playthrough. When Booker first opens the office door, why does he see Columbia attacking NYC?

SuperBonk

Just finished it. What an incredible ending. The more I think about it the more everything makes more sense.

If there was one problem I had with the narrative in the game, as others have mentioned, it would be the way the Daisy/the Vox are portrayed. Almost no character development for Daisy and the false equivalency between the Vox and the Founders just seems really lazy. I understand it was a side story compared to the very strong main narrative but I think it was a missed opportunity to have some better commentary.

Edit: Also, gotta give credit for BruceLeeRoy for the great OP. Cleared up a lot of questions I had and is an awesome resource for all of the hidden stuff in the game.

Korey

Yeah, I mean I got that. From the player perspective it's a nice clue. From Slate's perspective it seems odd. I mean he'd know that he got baptized and changed his name, probably.

I guess unless he didn't know that at all.

Hmm.. I suppose that does make some sense. Comstock still kept his same history, fluffed it up, but no one knew specifically who he was in those events. So people who were in them didn't necessarily know for a fact he was there.

In the end, though that all does seem kind of forced that he didn't know this stuff, specifically because he'd then have to basically reveal it to the player.

Slate didn't know about Comstock's past.

Comstock kept it a secret to everybody. Nobody knew his past. There's a voxophone with his biographer who said everything before his baptism was blank:

"Born in the River"

The Prophet may know how his own biography's going to end -- but I can scarcely fathom how I'm going to start it. Other than that kid's stuff you get at the Hall of Heroes, anything prior to his baptism was, and here I quote, hang on, "left on the riverside." They'll call me a plagiarist, but I'm going to spend the first 30 pages regurgitating scripture.

-Ed Gaines

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright guys: what gear am i equpping for lady comcast first fight on 1999?

I was less prepared this time with weapons. I have sniper and rpg :( (used hand cannon last time)

Try to full melee spec if you can, with blood to salt to convert charge kills into more charges.

RDreamer

I think what happened with Fitzroy would have been mostly fine had they not literally stated she's just as bad as Comstock. I think that's what partially throws it over the edge, since it's stated before she does go over the edge.

Actually that part of the game was weird to me. They were going hard on Fitzroy, when she hadn't really done much except incite a revolution against oppressors at that time. It was after Elizabeth equating the two that she really went bonkers.

I'm quite sure that's just Comstock trying to piece together the timeline to figure out which path he should take to lead Elizabeth to New York's destruction (or which choices resulted in branching off/what choices an alternative version fo himself could make). In the same room there's a Voxophone where he comes to the realisation that the baptism is where the main divergence point occurs. It doesn't look like it has any value as an actual timeline of the game's events since there's too few divisions (that lead nowhere) to be included. I also think it's a static timeline (as in, it doesn't change based upon what you do) so it's unlikely to indicate any of your choices.

Thanks, that's probably what it all about. I was hoping it was a easter egg showing/changing with the few choices you've made.

Sorry if this was already covered - but did anyone notice the chalk board in Comstock's cabin upstairs from where he's killed? Did anyone else think that was a way or clue to some "true ending" when they got to the lighthouses upstairs from Rapture?

I was hoping it was a little more to it as well

Do you mean this from the non-spoiler thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=17389
Good thing I reposted it here

This bugged me soooo much because it seems horribly stretched
yeah, it so out of place too.

televator

I think what happened with Fitzroy would have been mostly fine had they not literally stated she's just as bad as Comstock. I think that's what partially throws it over the edge, since it's stated before she does go over the edge.

Actually that part of the game was weird to me. They were going hard on Fitzroy, when she hadn't really done much except incite a revolution against oppressors at that time. It was after Elizabeth equating the two that she really went bonkers.

Yeah that's a good point. It was handled a bit too eagerly when nothing about her actions had yet revealed anything worthy of of hatred. There was only a voxophone or two that kinda made me worry about her character.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
One thing that bothers me is that Comstock KNOWS he's "Booker DeWitt."

So when "Booker DeWitt" appears in Columbia gunning for him, it seems like that could have / should have set up some interesting narrative moments. But they never come to pass. I appreciate that Irrational didn't want to tip their hand, but I have a hard time believing that Comstock would truly avoid lording this information over the player, during the course of the game. As far as I can remember there's no reference from Comstock, oblique or otherwise, that he actually knows about DeWitt's true nature. Even though of course he does.

~~~

Another side thought is that the game's ending paint's Slate in a new, even more tragic light. He's driven insane by Comstock's claim that he was at Wounded Knee, even though Slate KNOWS he wasn't there. Except, of course, he was. As DeWitt. Pretty neat.

~~~

Super-lame that Irrational pulls off the twist by Comstock just super-aging. Feels like a cop-out. The tears include travel through time. Isn't there some way they could have made the story work with Booker traveling into the alternate world's future, where Comstock had naturally aged into an old man?

I guess that creates a set of problems with Elizabeth's age... hm. It's a nitpick, I guess. Just bothers me that the whole twist is only possible thanks to the story hand-waving the age difference away with mumbo jumbo.

Neiteio

There's no "false equivalence" between the Founders and the Vox. Both hurt innocent people. The game handled this well.

Doesn't matter if the violence of one started with the oppression of the other. At the end of the day, the Vox didn't have to slaughter innocent children, etc. But they did, and there is real-life precedent for this, where regime change brings violence just as bad as what came before (I.E. Pol Pot's regime during the Cold War). And that's the point -- ideology, taken to extremes, hurts innocent people. This cuts both ways -- racist and non-racist, conservative and progressive.

It reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman wants the Wii and freezes himself, winding up in a future where religion is gone... but in its place are three squabbling factions who are killing each other over the exact wording of what they call their atheist beliefs. ANY ideology is dangerous when taken to extremes.

I forgot.

I am still sad about what Elizabeth does to Songbird.

Why does she do this?! Such cruelty! :(

I doubt Songbird could follow her through the multiverse doors she keeps popping through. Unless he is as magic as she is.

One thing that bothers me is that Comstock KNOWS he's "Booker DeWitt."

So when "Booker DeWitt" appears in Columbia gunning for him, it seems like that could have / should have set up some interesting narrative moments. But they never come to pass. I appreciate that Irrational didn't want to tip their hand, but I have a hard time believing that Comstock would truly avoid lording this information over the player, during the course of the game. As far as I can remember there's no reference from Comstock, oblique or otherwise, that he actually knows about DeWitt's true nature. Even though of course he does.

Doesn't he basically do that in the first speech to the player? "It always ends with blood with you", etc.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, maybe im misremembering things, but from the way Comstock was talking to Booker, it seemed like he already knew him/was aware of him. Found that weird when I was first going through the game.

There's no "false equivalence" between the Founders and the Vox. Both hurt innocent people. The game handled this well.

Doesn't matter if the violence of one started with the oppression of the other. At the end of the day, the Vox didn't have to slaughter innocent children, etc. But they did, and there is real-life precedent for this, where regime change brings violence just as bad as what came before (I.E. Pol Pot's regime during the Cold War). And that's the point -- ideology, taken to extremes, hurts innocent people. This cuts both ways -- racist and non-racist, conservative and progressive.

It reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman wants the Wii and freezes himself, winding up in a future where religion is gone... but in its place are three squabbling factions who are killing each other over the exact wording of what they call their atheist beliefs. ANY ideology is dangerous when taken to extremes.

Yes but this is about the US and its racist past, not about Pol Pot. The Vox do commit despicable acts, yes. The false equivalency people refer to is that the only anti-racist movement depicted in the game happens to be incredibly hateful and violent. The false equivalency is that somehow the people opposing a violently racist society are just as bad as the society itself, so in a sense that society's racism was vindicated. That the hatred of the Vox and fitzroy was somehow justified.

It's a very unfortunate message to have underlying the game, though it was most likely not intended.

Neiteio

Yeah, maybe im misremembering things, but from the way Comstock was talking to Booker, it seemed like he already knew him/was aware of him. Found that wiered when I was first going through the game.
Yep, I'm replaying the game and just did that part before Monument Island, and it's quite clear to me Comstock is speaking to Booker while fully aware of who Booker is (namely himself).

This plot is excellent on so many levels. Its sheer scale and ambition means a lot of people will try to find cracks to nitpick, but really, when I consider the density of its design and where its focus lies (the pitfalls of ideology, as seen in Comstock/Vox/Columbia, and the redemption of Booker, the man behind it), it becomes clear that everything was done to just the right degree, and everything served its point, and never to the detriment of the pacing.

The only bit that seems strange is the Lady Comstock's ghost, but in the grand scheme of things, it's no problem. Game has a great narrative and I'm still amazed they managed a well-paced game that starts strong like the first BioShock and ends strong like the second.

Neiteio

Yes but this is about the US and its racist history, not about Pol Pot. The Vox do commit despicable acts, yes. The false equivalency people refer to is that the only anti-racist movement depicted in the game happens to be incredibly hateful and violent. The false equivalency is that somehow the people opposing a violently racist society are just as bad as the society itself, so in a sense that society's racism was vindicated. That the hatred of the Vox and fitzroy was somehow justified.

It's a very unfortunate message to have underlying the game, though it was most likely not intended.
That's not the message at all. No one's saying the Founders' racism is vindicated by the eventual violence of the Vox. If anything, the message is this:

VIOLENCE breeds VIOLENCE.

The Founders were oppressive to minorities and the poor. They created violent unrest in the lower classes. Does this make the violence of the Vox OK? No, it does not. However, we know why they're violent, and they're violent because they've been treated like caged animals for so long.

Everyone tries to take a side with this shit, but the game's outlook is much grander and more humanitarian than that. The point is that when we're shitty to other people, we increase the chances those people will be shitty to others, and so forth. No one is right for treating each other poorly. It's just an inevitable consequence of violence breeding violence.

And what goes around, comes around. The circle goes unbroken...

LiK

yup, Lady Comstock's ghost made no sense in context of the story, imo. Elizabeth said she's alive in some other timeline and was ripped into this one or something. But how does that explain her powers? and why does she look like that? One of those parts where I felt they designed her as a boss thing rather than basing it on the narrative.

Kaiden

Neo Member
This has probably been asked before, but the final notes at the end of the ending, with the Elizabeths disappearing after each key, is that the same tune as the one that calls the Songbird?

Nothing big, I was just wondering.

televator

When exactly did the Vox Resort to hurting innocent people though? Maybe I missed something, but I thought the Vox didn't go crazy until Booker handed them all the weapons. So equating the leader of the Vox before knowing what she had or will do was false equivalence.

Also what do you mean by "non-racist". If you mean equal rights supporters... Well I don't recall any rampant equal rights lynch mobs in real life.

Neiteio

When exactly did the Vox Resort to hurting innocent people though? Maybe I missed something, but I thought the Vox didn't go crazy until Booker handed them all the weapons. So equating the leader of the Vox before knowing what she had or will do was false equivalence.

Also what do you mean by "non-racist". If you mean equal rights supporters... Well I don't recall any rampant equal rights lynch mobs in real life.
There are Fitroy recordings in the game where she spells out her intention to violently stamp out the other side and form her new society where the white man is put in his place. Fitroy started with good intentions but her hatred ultimately got the best of her, which coupled with power led down the usual route of ideological corruption. Thus, once armed they overdid it -- they become indiscriminate in their killings, which is why we find the corpses of mothers and children who had the misfortune of living in that society at a time of revolt.

Again, this is not some strange concept invented by Levine. It has happened many times in the past. A group is persecuted, then the tide turns in their favor, and they kill anyone they perceive to be party to their persecution. Which sadly, almost always includes innocent people.

LiK

anyone else wish Fitzroy was given more time to develop as a good character before she turned bad in the Martyr timeline? would've been more shocking, i think.

Neiteio

anyone else wish Fitzroy was given more time to develop as a good character before she turned bad in the Martyr timeline? would've been more shocking, i think.
I don't like this idea that because she's standing up for the oppressed, she has to be some shiny character. She isn't, and she wasn't. At one point she was a maid, trying to get by. Then she was framed for murder. That was the final straw for her, and she started rallying others to stand up to their oppressors.

This is noble, and good. But it's made clear in her recordings even before the revolution timeline that all those years of abuse cultivated a violent streak in her a mile wide. She is, as I said earlier, an example of violence breeding violence. Darkness was cultivated in her soul by the racists who oppressed her. And the whole point of her one-off appearance in the revolution timeline is to show how the ills of the Founders led to the ills of the Vox, each ideology dangerous in its own way, violence begetting violence.

She served her narrative purpose, I feel. I can understand people thinking she's interesting and wanting to see more, though.

LiK

I don't like this idea that because she's standing up for the oppressed, she has to be some shiny character. She isn't, and she wasn't. At one point she was a maid, trying to get by. Then she was framed for murder. That was the final straw for her, and she started rallying others to stand up to their oppressors.

This is noble, and good. But it's made clear in her recordings even before the revolution timeline that all those years of abuse cultivated a violent streak in her a mile wide. She is, as I said earlier, an example of violence breeding violence. Darkness was cultivated in her soul by the racists who oppressed her. And the whole point of her one-off appearance in the revolution timeline is to show how this the ills of the Founders led to the ills of the Vox, each ideology dangerous in its own way, violence begetting violence.

true, but the first time we meet her we get thrown off the airship. whether we agree with her or not, we never got any scenes where she tried to convince you to join her cause. not from the the timeline we were in anyway.

B33

Banned
I forgot.

I am still sad about what Elizabeth does to Songbird.

Why does she do this?! Such cruelty! :(

I doubt Songbird could follow her through the multiverse doors she keeps popping through. Unless he is as magic as she is.

Songbird was never going to relent. It's what he was programmed to do.

They had lost control of him. A huge biomechanical being that had just preceded to tear apart a huge tower and a litany of troops and zeppelins. He was heading toward them and Elizabeth's inundation had just been removed by the creature.

Elizabeth acted in a moment where time was not in abundance. And it gave us a tragic, beautiful, and poignant moment.

Neiteio

true, but the first time we meet her we get thrown off the airship. whether we agree with her or not, we never got any scenes where she tried to convince you to join her cause. not from the the timeline we were in anyway.
That's because we never had a choice. Daisy is like a mob boss. If Booker had refused to get the guns for her, she would've simply killed him.

LiK

That's because we never had a choice. Daisy is like a mob boss. If Booker had refused to get the guns for her, she would've simply killed him.

i'm hoping we get to play in the Martyr timeline as Booker for more scenes with the Vox Populi in general.

Daisy was all about maintaining the narrative of a martyr. Having Booker alive complicated things but he was still useful if he could get the guns. If not she was going to kill him though she was probably going to do that anyways.

Magnus

Like the dudebro-ish cover, it's all marketing to appeal to a broader audience (non-bioshock fans). Don't worry too much about it

It's a wholly different looking main character, plot elements that never occur in the game, etc. How many games advertise with those two factors?

Neiteio

It's a wholly different looking main character, plot elements that never occur in the game, etc. How many games advertise with those two factors?
Yeah, it's like the ad agency was told, "Just make the game look cool," and so they see Liz, think "damsel in distress," and make her look even more fussy before stringing her up to be hanged so Dudebro McJoe can swing into action and save her.

Daisy was all about maintaining the narrative of a martyr. Having Booker alive complicated things but he was still useful if he could get the guns. If not she was going to kill him though she was probably going to do that anyways.
Exactly. EDIT: Wait, I thought you meant maintaining her -own- narrative of a self-sacrificing hero (obviously not one that committed martyrdom, though). In the "go get the guns" timeline, there has only been one Booker, and that's you. It was the other timeline where Booker was martyred and Booker being alive complicated things.

i'm hoping we get to play in the Martyr timeline as Booker for more scenes with the Vox Populi in general.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the three DLC campaigns is Martyr Booker leading the revolution with the Vox Populi. The recordings he left indicate he did it to attempt to get to Liz, who was relocated from Monument Island to Comstock House. Hmm.

Alucrid

Banned
I was surprised seeing some people on my friends list playing bioshock infinite knowing their gaming habits and interests. Guess it worked.

LiK

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the three DLC campaigns is Martyr Booker leading the revolution with the Vox Populi. The recordings he left indicate he did it to attempt to get to Liz, who was relocated from Monument Island to Comstock House. Hmm.

utilizing the same assets but different objectives seems like a pretty easy DLC for them.

oh man, i kinda wish one of the DLCs is based on the dudebro cover Booker where he's a complete dick and he dies 10 minutes in. :p

Top Bottom