• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

ultron87

It's just another city; another lighthouse. I don't think it explicitly has anything to do with Booker or Elizabeth.

Well there might be some connection since the Bathysphere works for Booker when it should only work for people close to Andrew Ryan genetically.

If one Booker replace the other when crossing dimensions, how he haven't replaced Comstock?

I don't think he 'replaces' the other Booker. In the Vox timeline, Booker is a Martyr and was killed...Daisy comments on this as well. Other than that, I don't think there really is any mention of the 'other' Elizabeth in the new timeline.

Technically, both would exist, right?

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think its kind of funny that in a game with infinite universes, people have their panties in a bunch over the fact that a revolution goes too far in one of these universes. They think its racist or something? If it helps you feel better, there is a universe where Daisy installs herself as a benevolent leader without killing a single person and brings about world peace. As someone said earlier, we go to the extreme violent universe because Elizabeth's tears are a form of wish fulfillment to an extent, and she is incredibly upset about how Finkton is being run. They make sure to say this in the loading screen during this chapter so you don't miss it.

J-Rod

Can you keep your hand from being stabbed if you chose to "draw your gun" instead of asking the attendant guy to hurry up?

So I see there was some discussion the past few pages, sorry if this is a retread, but are there any meaningful choices in this game? Other than different reactions, none really 'matter' right?

• Coin Flip
  • Shoot / Dont Shoot Slate
  • Bird / Cage Necklace
  • Attendent
  • Who to Throw ball at

Just surprising that they would opt for these types of 'meaningless choices' given the choices in the first games.

Mr. Sam

I shot Slate at the second time of asking - well, not 'asking', but the second opportunity - when you find him as a broken husk in prison.

Geido

So I see there was some discussion the past few pages, sorry if this is a retread, but are there any meaningful choices in this game? Other than different reactions, none really 'matter' right?

• Coin Flip
  • Bird / Cage Necklace
  • Attendent
  • Who to Throw ball at

Just surprising that they would opt for these types of 'meaningless choices' given the choices in the first games.

Well, that's all part of the bigger story right? Constants and variables, the choices you can make in the game don't really make any difference because they're not a critical part of the loop.

Huh its a damn good thing Booker didn't do anything naughty with Elizabeth.

Could of been kinda awkward later.

I was thinking about this the second time through and its a pretty impressive accomplishment that through the whole game despite thinking Elizabeth is a great looking character I didn't feel a romantic connection between her and Booker but I also didn't feel a paternal one either it was just smack dab in the middle. Which is perfect for keeping you off track the narrative.

Even Booker tying up her corset is more tragic than anything cause you get to see just how much punishment they put her body through.

Neiteio

I was thinking about this the second time through and its a pretty impressive accomplishment that through the whole game despite thinking Elizabeth is a great looking character I didn't feel a romantic connection between her and Booker but I also didn't feel a paternal one either it was just smack dab in the middle. Which is perfect for keeping you off track the narrative.

Even Booker tying up her corset is more tragic than anything cause you get to see just how much punishment they put her body through.
I'd just like to echo this sentiment. It's amazing how they handled the Booker-Elizabeth connection. They really had to walk a tightrope, but they made it seem so effortless that I couldn't tell what's what between those two until the very end.

• Coin Flip
  • Bird / Cage Necklace
  • Attendent
  • Who to Throw ball at

They just reinforce the ideas of choices versus cause and effect. It makes the player think they had a choice when they never actually did due to all the possible outcomes in the game.

I feel like trying to figure out the timelines and the time travel discussion does the game a big disservice. It's about how time is constant and more importantly it's about cause and effect much bigger and harder things to think about then time travel plots.

Dipswitch

I have to say that that one sequence where you open the operating theater door in the Wardens office of Comstock House, turn around and see a Boy of Silence standing right behind you caused me to jump 2 feet off my couch.

A game hasn't gotten me that good since Resident Evil 4.

I have to say that that one sequence where you open the operating theater door in the Wardens office of Comstock House, turn around and see a Boy of Silence standing right behind you caused me to jump 2 feet off my couch.

I had read that a jump scare was in the game so the entire time I was freaked the hell out. I thought for sure while I was watching one of the many projectors something was going to scare me. I had no idea it would happen when it did and It got me good.

DarkKyo

If one Booker replace the other when crossing dimensions, how he haven't replaced Comstock?

I took it as their traits and identities being so vastly different and separate that the universe let them exist in the same timeline without many complications... Since the only one who knows that Comstock is another Booker is Comstock himself. Like in quantum physics, reality depends a lot on observation. Booker and Elizabeth saw Chen Lin dead so part of his identity was dead in the second universe they swap to.

ultron87

The execution of that is interesting since they actually lock your feet into place after you pull the lever so you can't sidestep and you're forced to turn around first. It is a really little thing but I did notice something was weird with the moment before turning. I can't really think of a better way to do it though.

DarkKyo

I don't think he 'replaces' the other Booker. In the Vox timeline, Booker is a Martyr and was killed...Daisy comments on this as well. Other than that, I don't think there really is any mention of the 'other' Elizabeth in the new timeline.

Technically, both would exist, right?

There's no mention of an other Elizabeth because the Elizabeth that swaps into the universe becomes the Elizabeth of that universe. I think they just merge into the same person(much like the dead bodies merge with their still alive counterparts).

-BLITZ-

I think it has to do with the choice. As long as the CHOICE exists (to take or not take the Baptism), there is a Chance for Comstock to exist. Even if Liz killed the Booker's that accepted the Baptism, there would still be a chance somewhere, in some other dimension where Comstock could be created.

Basically...as long as the choice exists, so does Comstock. She eliminates all Bookers before the Baptism and prevents and branches from occurring.

Or something like that.

More simple:
Booker doesn't take the Baptism -> remains Booker -> marries -> Elizabeth is being born -> Comstock takes Anna <---> Booker is killed before Baptism -> prevents Elizabeth of being born -> Comstock can't get Elizabeth -> Comstock doesn't exist in the first place cause Booker was killed before taking any of two choices.

And then Ken wants to make our heads to go nuts with, by extending the plot showing that Booker still exist with Anna even if they didn't want to show her in the crib. :/

Oh yes, now I'm thinking to some wicked conclusion of something like this:

Just don't kill me, is just an idea.
---------------------------------
As I understood, he was the single Booker left/remain in the hole universes of Comstocks the single one that was used by the Lutece twins for 122 times and by failing each time. In the plot, Booker and Elizabeth opens a tear to another universe where Chen Lin lives. Now in the first universe where you have arrived to Comstock Columbia, this one doesn't have Elizabeth anymore because she is with Booker now in the undead Chen Lin or in the third universe; story progress.
After destroying the Siphon, Elizabeth had send him back in time, but we don't know for sure to which universe now, as how the game shows, we took a random one, another city; another lighthouse; and by killing him before any of the two choices was made, that it will had made the entire plot and all the others Comstocks to not exist, Paradox takes place.
The reason is because in the first universe where we arrived to Comstock, he didn't have to offer his legacy to no one anymore since Elizabeth traveled with Booker in this second or third, meaning his feature never happend, as the city was just easily damaged or erased from existence. In that way, it will had made the single Booker who didn't took the Baptism to remain with Anna because the one that was killed by the three Elizabeth's was from the future or his gameplay progress, or his future self, brought back in time, without interfering with his real past or at least with his real universe and now Paradox takes place again.
From here the Lutece twins couldn't had any other Booker left to send back again, and Comstock couldn't had made the city, couldn't had gone to war over New York City, since there wasn't any Elizabeth to snatch. [she traveled] Paradox takes place more deeper.
This entire rupture of the timeline was the cause of the older Elizabeth all away at the beginning of the third universe who finally manage after 122 tries, preventing and reseting everything from ever happening. Paradox :p
Everything changed after she gave him the note in the third universe.

Other hints:
- We don't know for sure if this Booker that was killed was brought back in time or to his real universe before the young Booker reach the priest and choosed any of the path.
- Even so Comstock, witness the future of himself, we also know from one of his recordings that he was worried about his cancer and that he might die before Booker will come making Elizabeth very accessible to be taken back ( "I wouldn't take the train before I don't set my things right") and guess what, this exactly had happening. Therefore it makes his predictions to be correct, both of them even if what he saw in his future, had really happend, actually being witness the other futures of himself, with Elizabeth being catched and turned as a weapon in the third universe, but he also didn't know one thing for sure that after the experiments with the Syphon, Elizabeth had the full powers unlocked, having the ability to bring Booker into the future and giving him the note, reseting everything.
- The Elizabeth that manage to remain at the Wounded Knee was because of the Syphon, making her as the Lutece twins and also because Anna was still in the crib while Booker was still alive. Paradox occurs. Hua! :/

GCNemesis

One thing I consistently noticed throughout the game was the use of hummingbirds, reinforced by the nickelodeon towards the end. I don't know if this symbol has been discussed in detail, but below is some information I found that clearly identifies why hummingbirds are used throughout Infinite.

The hummingbird symbolizes many different concepts. Because of its speed, the hummingbird is known as a messenger and stopper of time. It is also a symbol of love, joy, and beauty. The hummingbird is also able to fly backwards, teaching us that we can look back on our past. But, this bird also teaches that we must not dwell on our past; we need to move forward. When the hummingbird hovers over flowers while drinking nectar, we learn that we should savour each moment, and appreciate the things we love.

The hummingbird has powerful spiritual significance. In the Andes of South America the hummingbird is a symbol of resurrection. It seems to die on cold nights, but comes back to life again at sunrise.

Hummingbird is the creature that opens the heart. When the hurt that caused us to close our hearts gets a chance to heal, our hearts are free to open again.

With hummingbird consciousness, we learn the truth of beauty. Our life becomes a wonderland of delights in flowers, aromas and tastes. We laugh and enjoy creation, we appreciate the magic of the present moment, and the magic of being alive.

Hummingbird teaches us the medicinal properties of plants and how to work with the energy of flowers to heal ourselves and others. Hummingbirds teach us fierce independence. They teach us to fight in a way where no one gets hurt. They teach us courage. Having the courage to refrain from creating new trauma by communicating non-violently toward ourselves and others is an important part of healing. Recovering lost parts of ourselves enables us to become healthily independent.

It is not commonly known that the fluttering wings of the hummingbird move in the pattern of an infinity symbol - further solidifying their symbolism of eternity, continuity, and infinity.

By observing the Hummingbird, we see they are seemingly tireless. Always actively seeking the sweetest nectar, they remind us to forever seek out the good in life and the beauty in each day. Amazing migrators, some Hummingbirds are known to wing their way as far as 2000 miles to reach their destination. This quality reminds us to be persistent in the pursuit of our dreams, and adopt the tenacity of the Hummingbird in our lives.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cheeky girl on the beach, with the her lover claiming he'll leave his wife for her, saying "I've never met a man who knows who he really is."

Guevara

^That's interesting. The first time I noticed hummingbirds was by the Beach Boys/barbershop quartet (although they seem to be everywhere throughout the first bit of the game).

Protome

They don't replace each other, they just start to gain each others memories. Which does happen between Booker and Comstock (Hence why Booker has his "vision" of New York in flames)

The only choice I was disappointed didn't have any meaning was choosing which lighthouses to enter. You get the choice of two, twice and they both lead to identical places.

Dany

Banned
I got serious Lost vibes during the ending. Especially early on with the nose bleeds I knew it would be alternate worlds or timetravel

I found that aiming way above the gate did the trick. I managed to light one flame by spaming but managed to light both on the first try when I tried to aim at the roof.

Yes, but the room isn't really hidden. Its right behind the Lutece's graves. A simple gate is blocking the entrance and you can see a gear item instide.

Wait, what's in this hidden room?

Mr. F

Banned
There's no mention of an other Elizabeth because the Elizabeth that swaps into the universe becomes the Elizabeth of that universe. I think they just merge into the same person(much like the dead bodies merge with their still alive counterparts).

Made me wonder about in the ending how there could be multiple Elizabeths at the baptism, but in that case I guess considering she wasn't born yet at that point there would be no 'one' Elizabeth to replace.

Edit; re-watching some of their scenes on YouTube after having experienced the ending made me love the Luteces even more.

There was an Elizabeth in that timeline:

Booker just didn't get to her soon enough in that timeline. There's nothing to suggest that Elizabeth merged with her other self.

Oh wow, I missed that Voxophone somehow. Guess that clears that up.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Doesn't Elizabeth say something in the sea of lighthouses about how a Booker and Elizabeth are traveling through each and every applicable timeline, and they will all end up at the same place? You even see a pair walking across the way from you as you head to one of the lighthouses. That is how I got the final scene with the multiple Elizabeths: it was representative of each and every one from each and every timeline arriving at that moment of their timeline and killing Booker.

Trigger

There was an Elizabeth in that timeline:

"Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt." As plans go, I'd seen worse-- except this girl was already gone. Monument Island's a damn ghost town. Seems like they evacuated her when they heard I was here. An old friend told me Comstock spirited her off to that fortress of his. As a one-man job, this just went from bettin' on the river to...drawing dead.

Booker just didn't get to her soon enough in that timeline. There's nothing to suggest that Elizabeth merged with her other self.

Neiteio

The paintings in this game are amazing. I love the way they're textured and lit -- be sure to drag and drop the images in your URL to view them at full size and appreciate the detail:

9196308343FE67229FFF21FA706A8D9AD64786D8

2754209F5A31F4A95D37A4F4B828E7ADA8A83720
I -love- the Lincoln one, even though I feel he is one of the greatest U.S. presidents of all time, and hardly think him a devil!

LiK

The paintings in this game are amazing. I love the way they're textured and lit:

I -love- the Lincoln one, even though I feel he is one of the greatest U.S. presidents of all time, and hardly think him a devil!

even Elizabeth's Paris painting had really nice textures for the paint.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I think I found an interesting PC/console performance difference in the Wounded Knee section of the Hall of Heroes. When playing on PC, the diorama figures "jump" out at you as you near them, whereas in the console versions, the diorama figures are already out.

Perhaps a subtle difference due to a performance gap?

Regarding Rapture in Bioshock 1.

What's the canon?

It's just another timeline, sunken Columbia or what?

I'd rather think that it follows a timeline where DeWitt has twins, and the one who isn't Anna follows Comstock's path and follow his dream underwater.

like other's have said, it's not relevant to the specific story of Booker and Elizabeth.

however, my preferred thinking is that, given all the talk of constants, variables and rosalind's comment of "things are set motion", is that in some universes, the ideas and concepts developed by comstock (a city apart from the world, an idyllic thought-haven for people, etc) are picked up by andrew ryan which results in rapture.

it's not that comstock/booker = ryan or anything so concrete, but rather the concept that if all realities are possible, in some of them, comstock existed but the dream of columbia failed; however, andrew ryan did not.

ultron87

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I think I found an interesting PC/console performance difference in the Wounded Knee section of the Hall of Heroes. When playing on PC, the diorama figures "jump" out at you as you near them, whereas in the console versions, the diorama figures are already out.

Perhaps a subtle difference due to a performance gap?

I definitely remember some of the figures jumping out in the Xbox version.

like other's have said, it's not relevant to the specific story of Booker and Elizabeth.

however, my preferred thinking is that, given all the talk of constants, variables and rosalind's comment of "things are set motion", is that in some universes, the ideas and concepts developed by comstock (a city apart from the world, an idyllic thought-haven for people, etc) are picked up by andrew ryan which results in rapture.

it's not that comstock/booker = ryan or anything so concrete, but rather the concept that if all realities are possible, in some of them, comstock existed but the dream of columbia failed; however, andrew ryan did not.

When I played, I saw no relation...just a way of tieing the 'genre' together (every universe has a city...every universe has a man). I do find it odd, however, that Booker could operate the Bathysphere...implying that there is some sort of connection to Ryan.

Of course, they could just say this occurred before the spheres were 'locked down' preventing anyone from using them

Mr. F

Banned
When I played, I saw no relation...just a way of tieing the 'genre' together (every universe has a city...every universe has a man). I do find it odd, however, that Booker could operate the Bathysphere...implying that there is some sort of connection to Ryan.

Of course, they could just say this occurred before the spheres were 'locked down' preventing anyone from using them

Or in one of the infinite universes there simply never was a genetic lock on the Bathyspheres.

televator

So what's the theory on what "ghost" Lady Comstock actually was? Was she from a world where people are non-corporeal beings with super powers?

Why though? I don't remember Ryan mentioning that he is the only one who can control them in Bioshock.

I'm sure the moments happen right before our protagonist enters the scene because the other Bathysphere isn't there yet, and the door is unlocked before Liz unlocks it.

Or it's a universe in which the protagonist never shows up.

well, accepting that all realities are possible, you can basically make up anything you want because there's nothing to say "that's impossible"; so it's possible they transported to a Rapture that didn't require the DNA signature.

i just like to think that in some realities, Rapture was inspired by the concept of Columbia. i understand the point of illustrating the thematic consistencies between the games, but it doesn't take that much more to make them a little more connected. it's just fascinating to look at the story of Bioshock and Rapture, and how (in some realities, perhaps the reality we experienced in the game) it would not have been possible without the events of Bioshock Infinite (i.e. a game from 2007 tells a story that only happens because of the events in a game from 2013).

Mr. Sam

I think there's a voice recording of an engineer in the original BioShock which overtly says that only Andrew Ryan and his inner circle can now control the bathyspheres - as well as genetic relatives.

Also, due to the "songbird death cry" you hear in the first game, I'd like to think that the Rapture Booker visits and the Rapture visited in the first game are one and the same.

Top Bottom