• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

nOoblet16

A bit of iffy writing here, Booker tells Elizabeth that he's from New York and that he's there for her because he's paying his gambling debt, not because of charity. Less than 5 minutes later he tells the exact same thing to Elizabeth as if he's mentioning it for the first time, she flips out and hits him.

Varna

A bit of iffy writing here, Booker tells Elizabeth that he's from New York and that he's there for her because he's paying his gambling debt, not because of charity. Less than 5 minutes later he tells the exact same thing to Elizabeth as if he's mentioning it for the first time, she flips out and hits him.

I forget but he does sorta say he will take her to Paris doesn't he?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
And then sets the air ship for New York, where she freaks out that he lied to her about Paris, because she knows Latitude and Longitude.

But then when he meets up with her and some time after that, he tells her that he'd rather take her to Paris than hand her over.

Danielsan

Finished the game today. I can already tell that this will probably easily be my game of the year. Despite the fact that by the end of it I was getting really sick of the combat (playing on hard from the start) and and being somewhat of a completionist in a game where there's tons of random shit strewn around the environment generally hurt the game progression/pacing.

The storytelling, the plot, the environments, the overwhelming amount and quality of the art design and the emotional and goosebumps inducing ending. It all completely overshadows the negatives for me. From the moment you destroy the siphon till the point where the credits roll I was simply in awe. I actually got a bit misty eyed at the scene where Anna gets taken by Comstock and Letuce. That scene was exceptionally well done. Ken Levine and his team are masters of their craft and I look forward to their next game. Hopefully they will depart from the Bioshock gameplay formula, but I definitely welcome whatever new world and story they bring to live next.

Varna

But then when he meets up with her and some time after that, he tells her that he'd rather take her to Paris than hand her over.

It's called a lie.

I really wish they had the courage to attempt a real Bioshock RPG. Something like the Witcher 2 with huge player choices with big story implications. It just feels like these games are just shooters because they feel like they have to be. :/

Something that bothered me was why is it no one uses Vigors but Booker and those Crow wielder's? Seems odd that these super powers are mass produced but no officers or rebels use them. The only somewhat plausible explanation is that early on there is a conversation with some people who mention they don't want to use them without Fink working out the side effects. I imagine this must have to do with the initial transformation that looks to be quiet painful. But everyone in Columbia minus less then half a dozen freaks is afraid of it? Come on.

I hope I wasn't too long but Wintershield is what I would consider the 'essential' one. Spare the Rod, Deadly Lunger, Vampire's Embrace, Overkill, Blood to Salt, Brittle-Skinned, Executioner, Burning Halo are all very helpful (I've bold what was my 'final' end of game set-up; both Blood to Salt and Wintershield are highlighted since the latter is situational). Others may have other recommendations but if you get two of them, or the bolded ones, I'd probably stick with it.

EDIT: Also, I've just seen that you can allegedly get infinite gear after the Hall of Heroes before you ride the gondola. Supposedly if you collect the gear in the toy shop, return to the Hall of Heroes' lobby and go back to the toy shop it resets but I can't speak to the validity of this. I'll look for a video.

EDIT: What? It actually works? Unless there's some editting going on or something. Can anybody confirm this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNS3x2DaQB8?

thanks for the post, I did it a few more times and got winters sheild. I will keep that one and hope for blood to salts later.

Karried

Neo Member
Isn't there a scene right after she smacks you that shows them attacking the airship and boarding it?

No to the second question. It's not just a Baptism that turns him into Comstock. It's essentially taking the "easy" way out in absolving himself of all the terrible things he had done. Him getting a Baptism 20 years later really isn't the same thing.

I wonder about what happens now to Booker and Elizabeth/Anna. So Booker doesn't try and absolve himself, he still marries, has Anna... wife still dies and presumably he still goes into a very low point in his life.

I thought he dies?

LukeTim

It's called a lie.

I really wish they had the courage to attempt a real Bioshock RPG. Something like the Witcher 2 with huge player choices with big story implications. It just feels like these games are just shooters because they feel like they have to be. :/

Something that bothered me was why is it no one uses Vigors but Booker and those Crow wielder's? Seems odd that these super powers are mass produced but no officers or rebels use them. The only somewhat plausible explanation is that early on there is a conversation with some people who mention they don't want to use them without Fink working out the side effects. I imagine this must have to do with the initial transformation that looks to be quiet painful. But everyone in Columbia minus less then half a dozen freaks is afraid of it? Come on.

There were also the Firemen... to be fair.

What bothered me more about the Vigors, though, was that their place in that world I felt just wasn't adequately explained.

In Bioshock, the plasmids made perfect sense... Rapture was about taking in the best of the best, and they used the newly discovered gene science to try to improve themselves further.

What were the Vigors? Where did they come from? It seemed like they were simply there to service a familiar gameplay mechanic than to be a part of the world and the narrative.

It's called a lie.

Well Slate used Shock Jockey and the Firemen use Devil's Kiss.

I do wish they went into more detail with the Vigors though. With Bioshock, the plasmids made up a big part of the gameplay and then they were explained as a big part of Rapture's current state as well. Whereas in Infinite they're kind of seemingly tossed in there as a gameplay mechanic but never really given much in world justification, other than they're novelty items for people to mess around with.

Its kind of interesting in the art book though as they have concept art of people that got mutated by taking too much of the Vigors and other more Bioshock 1 kind of enemies. I wonder if they nixed that idea thinking it would be too much like Bioshock 1, but never really got around to getting a better justification for the inclusion of the vigors?

Varna

I thought he dies?

Blah. Just when I thought I had understood it all! I thought maybe Elizabeth only killed Booker on timelines were he choose the Baptism.

It's possible that Fink got the idea for Vigor's from Rapture. He did steal the big baddy technology.

LukeTim

Well Slate used Shock Jockey and the Firemen use Devil's Kiss.

I do wish they went into more detail with the Vigors though. With Bioshock, the plasmids made up a big part of the gameplay and then they were explained as a big part of Rapture's current state as well. Whereas in Infinite they're kind of seemingly tossed in there as a gameplay mechanic but never really given much in world justification, other than they're novelty items for people to mess around with.

Its kind of interesting in the art book though as they have concept art of people that got mutated by taking too much of the Vigors and other more Bioshock 1 kind of enemies. I wonder if they nixed that idea thinking it would be too much like Bioshock 1, but never really got around to getting a better justification for the inclusion of the vigors?

It's a shame. I really wouldn't have minded that. I'd rather the vigors actually felt a part of the world, more than a part of the game... It wouldn't have mattered if it had left the game more similar to Bioshock because Bioshock is awesome.

It's possible that Fink got the idea for Vigor's from Rapture. He did steal the big baddy technology.

That was always my impression. That maybe the Vigors are some primitive version of the plasmids or something.

It's a shame. I really wouldn't have minded that. I'd rather the vigors actually felt a part of the world, more than a part of the game... It wouldn't have mattered if it had left the game more similar to Bioshock because Bioshock is awesome.

There are some other cool things they could have done based on the concept art. There is some freaky stuff with people looking somewhat Thing-like where moving through the Tears made people have different instances of themselves grafted on to them. Its a really cool art book and I'd definitely recommend it to anybody still interested in the game.

LukeTim

That was always my impression. That maybe the Vigors are some primitive version of the plasmids or something.

Now that you mention it... I remember a Voxophone where Fink talks about "the Biologists I have been watching".... I guess he was referring to scientists in Rapture? That would make a lot of sense... Wow.

Salamando

Blah. Just when I thought I had understood it all! I thought maybe Elizabeth only killed Booker on timelines were he choose the Baptism.

Weren't Plasmids/ADAM found from Sea Slugs though? I can't remember how well adam was understood in Bioshock to even guess if Fink could recreate it without having access to the same sea slugs.

I think the Song Bird's death was actually the saddest bit of all. It put it's giant hand on the Rapture window and held it there near Elizabeth's as it died. It spent it's whole life protecting her, and whilst I know it's partly robotic, it's also partly organic - there are suggestions throughout that the giant, meaty guys heads attached to the Robot's that you have to fight are constantly in pain, and that the people attached to them can remember their thoughts but can't really control their actions. I assume the songbird is similar, which makes it all the more sad.

That said, that was the Songbird in only one timeline, I guess!

Karried

Neo Member
I think I read somewhere, that 2 different universes cannot coexist in the same timeline, so how does Booker come to Comstock?

LukeTim

I think the Song Bird's death was actually the saddest bit of all. It put it's giant hand on the Rapture window and held it there near Elizabeth's as it died. It spent it's whole life protecting her, and whilst I know it's partly robotic, it's also partly organic - there are suggestions throughout that the giant, meaty guys heads attached to the Robot's that you have to fight are constantly in pain, and that the people attached to them can remember their thoughts but can't really control their actions. I assume the songbird is similar, which makes it all the more sad.

That said, that was the Songbird in only one timeline, I guess!

THAT'S what the handymen were?

I never gave it any thought... I just thought they were guys in mech-type suits.

How did I miss this?

El Odio

Banned

I never gave it any thought... I just thought they were guys in mech-type suits.

How did I miss this?
That was either explained in side dialogue at the fair at the start or in a voxophone so it's easy to see how that can be missed.

StuBurns

Banned
I wish we'd got more Songbird story stuff. Or at least a greater focus on his relationship with Elizabeth. They could have done the obvious thing of having her have a nanny figure as a child, who 'died', and we find out she's Songbird, I'm not saying anything as on the nose as all that, but just something more. Or separated his death from our arrival at Rapture. I did the thing of being super excited about being in Rapture, and not overly bothered about the death of Songbird.

Neiteio

Has this game come out in Japan? If not, will it? I wonder how the Japanese will take to it. Infinite has a lot of style and quirkiness missing from the typical Western game, not to mention the "waifu" factor in Elizabeth.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Oh, Also, fuck the ghost of lady comstock. The first battle in the graveyard was horribly unbalanced. (Played on Hard from the start).

I wish we'd got more Songbird story stuff. Or at least a greater focus on his relationship with Elizabeth. They could have done the obvious thing of having her have a nanny figure as a child, who 'died', and we find out she's Songbird, I'm not saying anything as on the nose as all that, but just something more. Or separated his death from our arrival at Rapture. I did the thing of being super excited about being in Rapture, and not overly bothered about the death of Songbird.

It's true - my first response when we went through was "holy fucking shit". Really, given the name of the game, we should have seen it coming, but it just popping in, with all it's blue and art-deco, it was an incredible moment. But the poor songbird :(

Giving the Songbird a bit of a GladOS element to its personality would have been cool, but I don't know if it would have been necessary. I think they got it spot on.

One of the DLCs is supposed to give us more insight into Songbird.

Varna

How did I miss this?

You see one early on in the Carnival. The announcer mentions that they are men fused to machines. They have to portraits in the same area. One illustrating a sick dying man and the next a really cheerful interpretation of the handyman.

They also mention that they are in pain when you fight em...

StuBurns

Banned
It's true - my first response when we went through was "holy fucking shit". Really, given the name of the game, we should have seen it coming, but it just popping in, with all it's blue and art-deco, it was an incredible moment. But the poor songbird :(
It's funny, a week before it came out I joked it'd end with tearing into Rapture, and I was still very surprised.
One of the DLCs is supposed to give us more insight into Songbird.
That could be cool, feels too little, too late for me. I want them to just focus on alt-Bookers.

I think I read somewhere, that 2 different universes cannot coexist in the same timeline, so how does Booker come to Comstock?

The two sets of universes that cannot coexist are universes where Booker/Elizabeth/Luteces succeed in resetting the timeline and those where they fail to reset the timeline. It's not that no two universes can coexist (an infinite number coexist actually).

Regarding your first edit, i spent twenty minutes testing the infinite money hig but it did not work; when i left the area, came back and reloaded hall of heroes, the vendors would not take possession

I'm not sure if that's the same thing (is it?) as I've not heard of it. The one in the YouTube video is solely about the gear respawning if you: Go into the shop, take the gear, run back to the Hall of Heroes (not just go up the elevator, you need to go on the Skyhook up into the actual Hall of Heroes lobby where the Salt dispenser is), go back to the toy shop and repeat. I'm not sure if the money thing is the same since I've not heard of it.

LukeTim

You see one early on in the Carnival. The announcer mentions that they are men fused to machines. They have to portraits in the same area. One illustrating a sick dying man and the next a really cheerful interpretation of the handyman.

They also mention that they are in pain when you fight em...

I see. Thanks.

I guess they definitely were the equivalent of Big Daddies... and Fink stole the tech from, Rapture. I thought the Big Daddy equivalent was the Fireman when I first encountered one.

It's a shame that they didn't have similar behaviour to Big Daddies... they were just another enemy in Infinite. Big Daddies were indifferent unless you attacked... that was a nice change from just everything wants to kill you. Then again, Infinite had a different, livelier downtime, I guess.

Salamando

How did I miss this?

They're actually advertised in-game as being a kind of super wheelchair. A voxophone in Finkton Docks has a lady talking about her husband. Fell sick to stomach cancer, so they made him a Handyman. "Better a handyman than a dead one" They're literally creatures that were close to death but denied its sweet embrace.

Varna

That could be cool, feels too little, too late for me. I want them to just focus on alt-Bookers.

Now I'm big time confused. I interpreted the ending as Elizabeth killing all Bookers that choose the Baptism. Going by the OP (should have read that first) it seems like she kills all of them? So what alt-Booker would there be?

renitou

Am I right in understanding there is no Level Select in the PC version? I see a chapter select on on the menu options, but that only offers a list of my last few auto-saves. Wanted to run through a few particular moments again, and though I'd read elsewhere that you could in fact select a specific levels, but I guess not?

Am I right in understanding there is no Level Select in the PC version? I see a chapter select on on the menu options, but that only offers a list of my last few auto-saves. Wanted to run through a few particular moments again, and though I'd read elsewhere that you could in fact select a specific levels, but I guess not?

My chapter select had an autosave for every chapter in the game. I was actually really happy with how many there were since it made it easy to go back to specific parts.

StuBurns

Banned
Now I'm big time confused. I interpreted the ending as Elizabeth killing all Bookers that choose the Baptism. Going by the OP (should have read that first) it seems like she kills all of them? So what alt-Booker would there be?
I mean we could play the ones mentioned in the game. They don't exist after the events of Infinite, but they could still feature them as referred to in the game. For example you could play as the Booker that leads the Vox.

The truly amazing thing they could do is give us three wholly new Man/City/Lighthouses, but asset investment wise, I think we have to be back in Columbia.

Neiteio

Use Chapter Select. Those are PERMANENT bookmarks at the start of each new story sequence. The only thing you'll lose will be any mid-chapter checkpoints tied to your current Continue (in which case, you'd just select the Chapter that checkpoint was in, and recover your progress).

It's a great system that makes it a cinch to revisit any part of the game. You can even see the complete beginning of the game if you select the first chapter.

Elizabeth's Voxophones during her imprisonment in Comstock House are sooo depressing.

This one is especially soul destroying:
Elizabeth said:
As the days pass, I believe less in God and more in Lutece. My powers shrivel as my regrets blossom. All of this because my father failed me. By the time I realized how far I'd gone, it was too late to stop it. But there is still one last chance at redemption-- for both of us.

Neiteio

Elizabeth's Audiologs during her imprisonment in Comstock House are sooo depressing.
Not as depressing as hearing her talk through the tears, saying she has faith you'll come rescue her, even though months have passed :(

And don't even get me started on hearing her being tortured... ;_;

Also, thanks for clarifying the Songbird DLC business. Sounds great!

Not as depressing as hearing her talk through the tears, saying she has faith you'll come rescue her, even though months have passed :(

And don't even get me started on hearing her being tortured... ;_;

Also, thanks for clarifying the Songbird DLC business. Sounds great!

Oh man those are even worse.

"..He will come"

:(

Yeah that section succccked in the feels department. Made especially hard in that it's best to sneak through that section when I just wanted to blast my way through. As a result when I did get to her I cold bloodedly dispatched of the scientists conducting that surgery on her.

LiK

Do you have Wintershield? If you do, equip it and keep jumping to and from the Skyrails/hooks to maintain infinite life.

EDIT: That's a very good video.

I didn't get Winter Storm OR Blood to Salt until after the final Lady Comstock fight. I got most of the good gear on Normal. Bad luck.

The asylum place is even worst on 1999 Mode. Those guys take forever to kill so stealth is required. The first encounter can't be avoided and I had to retry a few times there. Btw, I have maxed shields and about level 8 for salts and that section was still tough.

I didn't get Winter Storm OR Blood to Salt until after the final Lady Comstock fight. I got most of the good gear on Normal. Bad luck.

This now my second play-through on 1999 and I haven't gotten one piece of gear I would call "Great" either times going through.

Best thing I have is the melee for health thing.

Melchiah

There was a really sad voxophone lying on one Handyman's dead body, where some guys were posing for pictures, which was voiced by a lady who seemed to have been in a relationship with the man in the giant metal exoskeleton. She spoke about her undying love for him.

There was a really sad voxophone lying on one Handyman's dead body, where some guys were posing for pictures, which was voiced by a lady who seemed to have been in a relationship with the man in the giant metal exoskeleton. She spoke about her undying love for him.

yeah, you get the first part of that story in Finkton I believe

Duffyside

Banned
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I thought this video nicely summed up some of the stuff Infinite got wrong (mostly gameplay wise). After letting the game sink in for a week now I feel the same way, especially regarding the content that got cut from the final game, and the gameplay from the previous games being better overall.

Everything Bioshock Infinite Gets Wrong

Yet another +1 for this, and I went to find this post so I could properly thank you for bringing it to my attention. Even though the guy/editor does that APPALLING youtube tactic of jump-cutting after every damn sentence. Seriously, people, learn to talk and be comfortable with it.

Even I felt the guy was starting to get a little nit-picky, but then again, the title of the vid is "EVERYTHING" that is wrong. He got just about all of it.

Savitar

Damn, I guess I missed it.

Basically one of the Handyman was a normal every day guy who got sick, lung cancer I think it was? But they came up with a miracle to save him! And they did....but he was then a handyman. She was doing her best to deal with it, saying she loved him still. In other words, all the handymen were every day people that likely had fatal illness and were converted but they lost a lot of what they were with the change. The second recording plays into that as the sound of her voice is suppose to help calm down the man in his new state.

Melchiah

Basically one of the Handyman was a normal every day guy who got sick, lung cancer I think it was? But they came up with a miracle to save him! And they did....but he was then a handyman. She was doing her best to deal with it, saying she loved him still. In other words, all the handymen were every day people that likely had fatal illness and were converted but they lost a lot of what they were with the change. The second recording plays into that as the sound of her voice is suppose to help calm down the man in his new state.

Thanks for sharing the details about the first part of his story. =)

Top Bottom