• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

ScOULaris

There's still one thing that keeps bothering me...

What did either of the main characters have to gain from drowning Booker?

In my mind, there would have to be some ungodly, inevitable consequence to their existence across all possible realities for them to be able to justify blinking both of themselves out of existence. Elizabeth realizes that she will be un-creating herself by killing Booker, so what's the point?

Is it all done to avoid the attack on New York that we saw in that one timeline? What does that even matter when Elizabeth can pretty much see across multiple realities and travel forward and backward in time after the ciphon is destroyed.

Honestly, I just don't get it. I understand that they "closed the loop" on Comstock and all of the shit that happened in that one possible reality, but was undoing themselves really justifiable? It's bugging the shit out of me!

Ok, I think I got it. So the Lutece's bring Booker through a tear, sending him to an alternative universe with Booker being Comcast, but doesn't realize because of the whole memory loss thing, and then sets out to kill Comcast.

Aspiring

Ok just finished the game and came here to make some sense of some bits of the ending but what a game. When songbird died I could have cried followed by OH SHIT moment of rapture.

Just a fantastic game all around and im glad I got the season pass because I want more.

Trigger

Ok, I think I got it. So the Lutece's bring Booker through a tear, sending him to an alternative universe with Booker being Comcast, but doesn't realize because of the whole memory loss thing, and then sets out to kill Comcast. retrieve Elizabeth.

Slight correction.

Also: I'm reading all these posts in Archer's voice.

Andrew.

Banned
Ok just finished the game and came here to make some sense of some bits of the ending but what a game. When songbird died I could have cried followed by OH SHIT moment of rapture.

Just a fantastic game all around and im glad I got the season pass because I want more.

welcome to the revolution my friend.

JackEtc

I finished Infinite a few days ago with some friends, and it totally blew our minds. It was a fantastic ending to an amazing game.

I tried as mich as possible to avoid all the spoiler talk for these past days so I can just think about the ending for myself...but now I can't wait to comb through every post in this thread.

Also, I was on total blackout for this game, but I TOTALLY CALLED THE TEAR INTO RAPTURE BACK IN MAY OF 2011:

After hearing the Bioshock Infinite stuff, I'm calling it right now, a year in advance.

I bet Elizabeth
opens a tear to RAPTURE

I've never done that before, feels good. Also "A year in advance" lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. The father who baptized you in Columbia was BLIND. Which makes sense, since he didn't recognize you from the first baptism.

Haunted

Also, I was on total blackout for this game, but I TOTALLY CALLED THE TEAR INTO RAPTURE BACK IN MAY OF 2011:

I've never done that before, feels good. Also "A year in advance" lol
0A4Ji.gif

Seriously, just read the timeline picture on the first page. Makes sooooooo much more sense with what happens if Booker gets baptised or not. Booker choosing to not getting baptised caused the Lutece's to go to Columbia. Basically the Lutece's bring Booker to the universe where Booker gets baptised, right?

So Finkle is Einhorn, Einhorn is Finkle?

Alucrid

Banned
Where's the tears for fears song located in the game? I know the actual song is in the paris scene, but where's the bioshock infinite version at?

Snakeyes

There's still one thing that keeps bothering me...

What did either of the main characters have to gain from drowning Booker?

In my mind, there would have to be some ungodly, inevitable consequence to their existence across all possible realities for them to be able to justify blinking both of themselves out of existence. Elizabeth realizes that she will be un-creating herself by killing Booker, so what's the point?

Is it all done to avoid the attack on New York that we saw in that one timeline? What does that even matter when Elizabeth can pretty much see across multiple realities and travel forward and backward in time after the ciphon is destroyed.
Basically, any Booker present at the baptism ceremony would create a timeline fork that eventually leads to Comstock, including player-Booker. As for Liz, she's virtually omniscient at that point and probably saw it as the best possible outcome.

DatDude

Banned
I'm not sure why Songbird and his death resonated so much with people, I never got the feeling the game wanted me to care.

Personally, because, at least for me, he reminded me of a animal. He did "wrong things", but he didn't know what he was doing was wrong (like how a cat who starts scratching your curtains, the cat isn't doing it to be bad, but because he wants to sharpen his nails). In all honesty he was an innocent casualty that really didn't deserve to die.

dreamfall

Thank the stars for this thread. I just finished it, and pouring over this thread, my heart (and head) are beginning to make sense of exactly how to interpret this.

My mind is going crazy!

Rapstah

I finished it a couple of days ago now and I think I've managed to reduce the questions I had to these:
  • Why does destroying the siphon in the third alternate universe give Elizabeth back her full powers? If destroying it in the universe you're in suffices, you'd think she would have ended up in an alternate universe without a siphon at all through a tear and have gained all her powers back like that.
  • Why does Booker not understand the idea of multiple universes? It's like he's ahead of you storywise until you go through the first tear in the prison and then he doesn't grasp that people are different on the other side.
  • Is Booker actually from the universe the game starts in? In a scene near the end of the game, the Lucetes and Comstock take Anna through a portal, so I'm assuming the world they take her to is also the world the game starts in?
  • Do any of the choices, like throwing the lottery ball on the couple or Fink, have any impact on what happens at any point? I recall meeting the couple from the lottery later in the game, but there are other choices like picking the bird or cage amulet the Lucetes present you with.

fmpanda

I finished it a couple of days ago now and I think I've managed to reduce the questions I had to these:
  • Why does destroying the siphon in the third alternate universe give Elizabeth back her full powers? If destroying it in the universe you're in suffices, you'd think she would have ended up in an alternate universe without a siphon at all through a tear and have gained all her powers back like that.
  • Why does Booker not understand the idea of multiple universes? It's like he's ahead of you storywise until you go through the first tear in the prison and then he doesn't grasp that people are different on the other side.
  • Is Booker actually from the universe the game starts in? In a scene near the end of the game, the Lucetes and Comstock take Anna through a portal, so I'm assuming the world they take her to is also the world the game starts in?
  • Do any of the choices, like throwing the lottery ball on the couple or Fink, have any impact on what happens at any point? I recall meeting the couple from the lottery later in the game, but there are other choices like picking the bird or cage amulet the Lucetes present you with.

For the first point, I don't think it matters which universe as long as the siphon is destroyed in general. The whole point of the game to me was basically to become the Booker that finally empowers Anna/Elizabeth to kill you and break the circle of Comstock. For point two, Booker does not seem like the smart type overall, in the beginning he was kicking ass and taking names because that's his M.O. in life, but when you start throwing in tears and alternate realities, yeah, he's kinda lost, probably why he went nuts and saw an "Archangel" as Comstock. For point three, no, Booker is not from that universe, he's going into Comstock's world, in the ending you see the Lutece's offer him the shot to get Anna/Elizabeth back, in the process of crossing over it screwed up his body and mind. Finally, no, the choices you make don't matter, other than little visual bits during those moments. I'm almost wondering if that was a deconstruction on the whole "Choice-Choice-Muthafucking Choice!" trope of games nowanddays, as no matter what you decided, it all lead to being drowned in the water.

Daeda

1) I'm pretty sure that, seeing as the Siphon is constructed before Elizabeth get's rescued, it can be considered a constant for any universe containing Columbia until it is destroyed. Seeing as Booker always fails until Future Elizabeth gives him the code, this is the first time she's free.
2) Well, I'd imagine that in 1912, String theory, quantum mechanics and multiverses wherent as much of a pop culture thing as they are now. Therefore, they are hard to understand.
3) No, the game starts directly after Booker has been taken from his own universe to the universe featuring Columbia. This is also why we as a player dont remember anything about what happened before.
4) They don't, which is the thematic structure of the game: constants and variables. In the end, the major storyline is inevitable.

Ominym

Banned
Potentially already said, but I stood next to the Letuce twins after I flipped their coin (they stand off to the side.) Any who, after a minute or two, one of them said something along the lines of, "We wont be going anywhere until you do, I assure you." Which I thought was especially interesting on my second play through.

rvy

Banned
Songbird is one scary, ugly beast. I was happy he died. Asshole kept stealing my daughter from me the whole time.
And his screech is terrifying.

Rapstah

Potentially already said, but I stood next to the Letuce twins after I flipped their coin (they stand off to the side.) Any who, after a minute or two, one of them said something along the lines of, "We wont be going anywhere until you do, I assure you." Which I thought was especially interesting on my second play through.

I'm pretty sure they have these quotes for every situation where you're stuck until you interact with them, at least in the bar with the shield power-up and in the boat at the beginning. In the bar, the female one also has things to say when you try to attack her. Mostly variations of "missed".

ScOULaris

Basically, any Booker present at the baptism ceremony would create a timeline fork that eventually leads to Comstock, including player-Booker. As for Liz, she's virtually omniscient at that point and probably saw it as the best possible outcome.

The best possible outcome of every possible reality? That doesn't make any sense to me. At that point in the game, she can see everything and virtually choose her own reality. Why would she be okay with undoing her own existence at that point?

Does anyone have an answer to this? It's driving me nuts, and I feel like it hurts the ending tremendously without some kind of explanation or justification for her decision.

The best possible outcome of every possible reality? That doesn't make any sense to me. At that point in the game, she can see everything and virtually choose her own reality. Why would she be okay with undoing her own existence at that point?

Does anyone have an answer to this? It's driving me nuts, and I feel like it hurts the ending tremendously without some kind of explanation or justification for her decision.

I think it's bigger than just Booker/Liz. It's about preventing Comstock/Columbia/NukingNewYork and the only way to ensure that doesn't happen across all universes is to prevent Comstock from coming into existence. Hence, drowning him BEFORE the baptism to prevent Booker from making his choice.

Dylan

Hard to figure out what has already been discussed in this thread without reading 70 pages!!!

Anyway, I was wondering about two things that happen in early-mid game:

1. When Booker is taking the elevator with the worshipers at the bottom and Comstock is speaking to him via the large City-17-esque monitor / Zordon-from-power-rangers thing, he says something along the lines of "it ends in blood" at which point Booker's nose starts to bleed. Wondering if this signifies anything in particular, like was it originally a trap?

2. There is a girl in line for the First Lady who recognizes Elizabeth as Annabelle. Who is this woman?

SharkJAW

The only reason she exists is because of Comstock. To eliminate Comstock, she would also be eliminating herself, as she exists due to Comstock building Columbia and using the Lettuce twins tear machine, where Comstock becomes infertile and wants a daughter (Anna, who grows to be Elizabeth). Although, this elimination results in Booker getting a second chance with Elizabeth, but she would be baby Anna again.

dankir

What an ending, fucking hats off to levine. Although I found a little too much was thrown at you in the last ending sequence. What a way to end it.

Are the little sisters different versions of Elizabeth? Aren't they all dressed like her / lady comstock?

Trigger

Hard to figure out what has already been discussed in this thread without reading 70 pages!!!

Anyway, I was wondering about two things that happen in early-mid game:

1. When Booker is taking the elevator with the worshipers at the bottom and Comstock is speaking to him via the large City-17-esque monitor / Zordon-from-power-rangers thing, he says something along the lines of "it ends in blood" at which point Booker's nose starts to bleed. Wondering if this signifies anything in particular, like was it originally a trap?

2. There is a girl in line for the First Lady who recognizes Elizabeth as Annabelle. Who is this woman?

1) Booker experiencing a nosebleed implies death and memories from another timeline, so it's possible that another Booker died around that point in another timeline.

2) The woman doesn't recognize Elizabeth as Annabelle. It was a ploy to get Liz to identify herself. She could have called Liz Lady Gaga and got the same result. The name thing is a coincidence until we get some further proof.

bug_42

If the Elizabeth s kill Booker, and no longer exist, wouldn't that also mean that they would no longer exist to kill Booker in the first place, therefore, they would still be alive?

Scarecrow

I'm vaguely disappointed they didn't throw one last handiman at you in the final battle so you could sick Songbird on him and have their own Dog vs Strider battle.

Top Bottom