• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

The voxophones about the wife sad about her husband getting rebuilt by Jerimiah Fink refers to the Handyman shown in the circus at the beginning right? We don't ever learn the backstories of the others?

DatDude

Banned
The voxophones about the wife sad about her husband getting rebuilt by Jerimiah Fink refers to the Handyman shown in the circus at the beginning right? We don't ever learn the backstories of the others?

they all pretty much apply to the same story.

they were once disabled and paralyzed, and got a new lease on life with the machine.

Arulan

hopefully a spin-off. is it still alive? i forgot it existed.

I don't believe it ever really existed, I could be wrong however. It was simply Irrational Games saying they would consider the idea, and some higher up just went with it.

It would probably be a spin-off if so however.

LiK

I don't believe it ever really existed, I could be wrong however. It was simply Irrational Games saying they would consider the idea, and some higher up just went with it.

It would probably be a spin-off if so however.

yea, was thinking it was just an idea as well. they're too busy with the DLC to even bother with something else, i think.

not too bad. he liked the story and ending. only complained about the same stuff we did (Lady Comstock fight, Handymen etc). he actually liked the final battle as well.

I dug the final battle as well. Didn't get fustrated or confused like I guess some did (songbird implementation felt halfbaked though). We'll see how it goes in 1999 mode though lol

Lady Comstock fight was tedious as shit and one of the games lowest points.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm glad im not the only one who thought Columbia reminded me of Disneyland. I wonder if the influence was intentional. Just like how there are parallels between Rapture and Walt Disney's original plans for Epcot Center in the 60s.

main_street.jpg

Even the way the doors pop open in this game reminds me of the classic dark rides like Snow White and Mr.Toad's Wild Ride
7b9_4ba731e0a0.jpg

Amusiungly enough, I was going through my screenshot folder of my current replay, and the first bunch in the early areas of Columbia are basically like vacation sightseeing photos. Full of "ooh look at this" "ooh look at that!"

LiK

I dug the final battle as well. Didn't get fustrated or confused like I guess some did (songbird implementation felt halfbaked though). We'll see how it goes in 1999 mode though lol

Lady Comstock fight was tedious as shit and one of the games lowest points.

It was brutal in 1999 Mode. Oh man.

kurahador

What? He clearly articulates exactly his problems. I don't agree with him, but that's another matter.

As I said, long winded.

He clearly just filler it by reiterates what he already said (I assume he did, coz I didn't watch that other vids all the way to the end) in that other 1 hour WTF video just to make sure it matches the ending time.

They have plushes and posters and movies and songs about Songbird but they couldn't flesh him out?!

Sigh.

yeah they REALLY need to address thsi proper and hope they do with DLC or something. Also love the design of Songbird but ain't springing for that $150 edition. Most of the stuff that came with it is just fluff.
My artbook is on the way though.

LiK

That's too bad. Once I got the rhythm for them, I enjoyed those fights the most probably.

What's the problem? bigger bullet sponges or they just hit harder?

Both. I had no trouble with them on Normal but they're freakin' monsters in 1999 Mode.

Arulan

I started my first play through on 1999 mode and didn't find it that difficult. I found it difficult enough to put me tense situations fairly often to keep the adrenaline going throughout fights. It felt really well balanced, but I would agree the Lady Comstock segment is probably the most difficult. Obviously everyone is going to have a different experience but I would assume if you're comfortable with Hard, 1999 mode on your second play through should be fine.

On another note, I'm sure it has already been mentioned but I had an interesting experience with that of the God Only Knows cover. First, I have to say the way the game handled using the covers, and their use within the universe to be excellent. A few months ago, my girlfriend took me to a Barbershop Quartet convention-type thing they were doing here. Someone in her family is really into it and was visiting, so we came along. After completing the game, and watching the credits I realized the group who performed the God Only Knows cover, A Mighty Wind was at that convention and I watched them perform several songs. It was simply an interesting experience, if I would have known I would have tried to ask them about their experience with doing the cover for the game.

It was brutal in 1999 Mode. Oh man.

The way I see it, 1999 Mode is one big preparation for the Lady Comstock fights. They're hard the first time because you don't know they're coming, they catch you off guard, and you're fighting for your fucking life. Second time around, even with advanced difficulty, you know when and where they're going to strike, and they're towards the end of the game, so you can set yourself up with upgrades and have everything prepared going into the fight. And it's a lot easier.

Lijik

Handymen are even worse. Every time they show up I fucking cry.

I nearly defeated that last one on the zeppelin when I got too cocky and he killed me with that shockwave stomp attack. I was so relieved when I just ran for the exit and I was able to skip the fight instead of having to deal with that monster again at full health with less resources.

1999 mode for my first playthrough was a trip
My second one will probably be on easy just so I can go on a dumb powertrip with all the vigors

EDIT- Lady Comstock is only difficult if you dont know what you're doing. I beat her with what felt like zero effort after a friend tipped me off to an all melee gear+charge strategy and I was routinely too poor to buy upgrades of any sort beyond the first possession one. Went from absolute hell to one of the easiest fights in the whole game

sn00zer

Posted this in another thread

"In Bioshock Infinite there is a joke near the beginning where over the loud speaker they describe Booker as either a dwarf or a frenchman with an eye patch.....this carries on throughout the game even after hell has broken loose and you can see the description on the wanted paper the policeman is holding up at the checkpoint when you need to sneak into the Hall of Heroes

Another Bioshock Infinite....if you dont stop to tell Elizabeth to stop dancing on the beach you can head on past to the gate, which is blocked by a very funny strongman getting his picture taken with a bunch of women, there is about a 2 min scene where the photographer is bugging the women and the man to pose, the scene also has a ton of custom animations....completely missed it my first time around"

saunderez

Another Bioshock Infinite....if you dont stop to tell Elizabeth to stop dancing on the beach you can head on past to the gate, which is blocked by a very funny strongman getting his picture taken with a bunch of women, there is about a 2 min scene where the photographer is bugging the women and the man to pose, the scene also has a ton of custom animations....completely missed it my first time around"

I tried to get my picture taken with the strongman but they just wouldn't let me :(

I started my first play through on 1999 mode and didn't find it that difficult. I found it difficult enough to put me tense situations fairly often to keep the adrenaline going throughout fights. It felt really well balanced, but I would agree the Lady Comstock segment is probably the most difficult. Obviously everyone is going to have a different experience but I would assume if you're comfortable with Hard, 1999 mode on your second play through should be fine.

On another note, I'm sure it has already been mentioned but I had an interesting experience with that of the God Only Knows cover. First, I have to say the way the game handled using the covers, and their use within the universe to be excellent. A few months ago, my girlfriend took me to a Barbershop Quartet convention-type thing they were doing here. Someone in her family is really into it and was visiting, so we came along. After completing the game, and watching the credits I realized the group who performed the God Only Knows cover, A Mighty Wind was at that convention and I watched them perform several songs. It was simply an interesting experience, if I would have known I would have tried to ask them about their experience with doing the cover for the game.

holy shit, that's awesome!

EDIT- Lady Comstock is only difficult if you dont know what you're doing. I beat her with what felt like zero effort after a friend tipped me off to an all melee gear+charge strategy and I was routinely too poor to buy upgrades of any sort beyond the first possession one. Went from absolute hell to one of the easiest fights in the whole game

melee+charge?

Like you hit her with mainly melee attacks? don't get it sorry

Out of curiousity, what is she weakest against?

8bit

Knows the Score
Fininshed it last night, enjoyed it mostly but it dragged on a bit.

Someone had spoiled the ending a bit with "Elizabeth Kills Booker. Booker is Comstock." but this didn't spoil Rapture, infinite Elizabeths or mention where this happened so it wasn't so bad. I was wondering if Elizabeth took over as protagonist part way through.

The final battle was frustrating, mainly because the Call Songbird button was also pick up weapon and catch items which led me to turning around from the action when I wanted Songbird to crash the deck. The [] button on my Dual Shock is probably pretty damaged now.

Also, I was kind of annoyed that I missed hearing Tainted Love. Anyone know where that was?

On the flip side, I wish old Elizabeth had a different voice actor. She sounded way too young for her age, considering there was basically no voice difference between the old and young Elizabeths.

reminded me of winona ryder in the beginning of edward scissorhands

Aaron

I tried to get my picture taken with the strongman but they just wouldn't let me :(
I tried to buy clothes from the suit seller, but he acted like it wasn't there. Outside of a few cut-scenes, this game is basically Booker the Homicidal Ghost. I wish the scope of the game had been a little smaller, and in return had a little more interactivity. Not full dialogue options like an adventure game or anything like that, but just a little something to touch this world.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's probably been mentioned but if you buy a hot dog from the guy near the ice cream shop in Soldiers Field, he'll make an off-hand comment about Elizabeth being your daughter.

It's not rose tinted. I played Bio 1 right before I played Infinite. I love Columbia, but Rapture managed to capture my imagination better. Don't know why.

Agreed +1. I think for me being Scottish (and hence European), Rapture is more 'European', or at the very least 'less American'. I think it's the'Disneyland' vibe is what I think is offputting about Columbia (indifferent to Disney, and Disneyland etc)

Don't get me wrong, the art direction in Infinite is top-drawer, but Columbia never resonated with me the way Rapture did, I suspect that is also because Bioshock was ALL about Rapture, whereas with Infinite, Columbia is more of a backdrop.

Just my 2c.

DatDude

Banned
Agreed +1. I think for me being Scottish (and hence European), Rapture is more 'European', or at the very least 'less American'. I think it's the'Disneyland' vibe is what I think is offputting about Columbia (indifferent to Disney, and Disneyland etc)

Don't get me wrong, the art direction in Infinite is top-drawer, but Columbia never resonated with me the way Rapture did, I suspect that is also because Bioshock was ALL about Rapture, whereas with Infinite, Columbia is more of a backdrop.

Just my 2c.

that's funny because Rapture was inspired by 1950's American Art Deco. Even Levine said much of it was based of various old buildings in New York City.

Kind of reminds you in that bathsyphere decent to Rapture, no?

tumblr_lgxwxzbKCK1qglg9so1_1280.jpg

(1950's New York City btw)

Fjordson

I can't decide between the two, love 'em both, but I think Rapture holds up visually. Replayed BS 1 on PC a few weeks before Infinite came out and it still looks great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ooooh, I better get the Fink thing with his head of security on my second playthrough. Was a bit confused on my first.

Pagusas

Elden Member

that is weird, I never had that happen in my game!

I'm glad im not the only one who thought Columbia reminded me of Disneyland. I wonder if the influence was intentional. Just like how there are parallels between Rapture and Walt Disney's original plans for Epcot Center in the 60s.

main_street.jpg

Even the way the doors pop open in this game reminds me of the classic dark rides like Snow White and Mr.Toad's Wild Ride
7b9_4ba731e0a0.jpg

Thats Disney World, not land. Disney Land has the ugly/small sleeping beauty castle
sleeping-beauty-castle-at-disneyland.jpg

Perhaps my favorite part of this game was such a small, trivial, and optional scene. It took place when you are exploring Shantytown. I went down some stairs and there was a guitar, and the game gives you a prompt to start playing it. Booker sits down and plays, and Elizabeth starts to sing, and gives this kid an apple. Something about that scene just felt so damn good; just terrifically done.

Something that was pretty clever was how the "shoot ticket-booth guy/don't shoot him," decision plays out was that if you decide not to act on the suspicious behavior, he stabs Booker through the hand, and despite not being able to feel that pain as a reminder, the bandage Elizabeth puts on his hand stays there throughout the game, which is frequently visible. I remember not shooting that guy and by the time I got to Slate, I didn't want to make the same mistake twice after constantly seeing the bandage.

whoa. now THAT is pretty awesome. Will have to try that in my next playthrough

Pagusas

Elden Member
When does Booker get a bandage on his hand? I never saw that on my playthrough.

I was expecting to turn around and there be enemies and this still got me.

He gets the bandage when you are first with Elizabeth trying to board the airship at Battleship Bay. When you are at the counter getting the ticket if you choose to do nothing the counter guy will pull a knife out and stab you in the hand. At which point you pull the knife out of your own hand and start shooting. Liz will wrap a bandage around it once your catch up with her after she flees.

You can prevent the hand knifing by pulling a gun on the ticket guy.

Top Bottom