• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That last guy in the video "No, no, no, no, no" lol

Did we ever get any sort of satisfactory answer as to what the fuck the Boys of Silence are?

From the wiki

Boys of Silence are outfitted in blue suits that are reminiscent of a school uniform, and their most noticeable feature is their large metal helmets. The latter amplify their hearing, but obscure their face. Since they were fitted with their uniforms early in life (and have since outgrown them), their blazer sleeves are too short for their arms and their trousers have torn on the legs. Referred to as Elizabeth's "children", they are in fact young men brainwashed from childhood and forced into total subservience. Thanks to Elizabeth's intervention, they also have limited control over Tears, allowing them to partially maintain minions outside the spacetime continuum, summon them at will and teleport out when attacked.

On another not, one plot hole I was thinking about was why in Comstock House, when you were pulled 70 years into the future, you were still fighting people with the same technology as you were in 1912?

RDreamer

That last guy in the video "No, no, no, no, no" lol

Did we ever get any sort of satisfactory answer as to what the fuck the Boys of Silence are?

Wiki has an answer

The Boys of Silence are indoctrinated young men fitted with sense-enhancing helmets and forced to act as watchmen

Boys of Silence are outfitted in blue suits that are reminiscent of a school uniform, and their most noticeable feature is their large metal helmets. The latter amplify their hearing, but obscure their face. Since they were fitted with their uniforms early in life (and have since outgrown them), their blazer sleeves are too short for their arms and their trousers have torn on the legs. Referred to as Elizabeth's "children", they are in fact young men brainwashed from childhood and forced into total subservience. Thanks to Elizabeth's intervention, they also have limited control over Tears, allowing them to partially maintain minions outside the spacetime continuum, summon them at will and teleport out when attacked.

Rapstah

People are only explaining it that way because there's no better solution. It's definitely not the one Ken Levine intended, so it's moot

See, this is what kind of bothers me about the ending. Unless they're doing some sort of long thing that clarifies stuff slowly through DLC, is there actually a difference between "we have this rich ending but we're not going to tell you what happens" and "we don't have a clue so we wrote something really open and hoped for the best"?

Question, does Booker change his name to Comstock or is he born as Comstock in the universe where he gets baptized?

On another not, one plot hole I was thinking about was why in Comstock House, when you were pulled 70 years into the future, you were still fighting people with the same technology as you were in 1912?

Whoa, I never thought of this.

Perhaps my favorite part of this game was such a small, trivial, and optional scene. It took place when you are exploring Shantytown. I went down some stairs and there was a guitar, and the game gives you a prompt to start playing it. Booker sits down and plays, and Elizabeth starts to sing, and gives this kid an apple. Something about that scene just felt so damn good; just terrifically done.

I thought this moment really made the game stand out. It was really, really beautiful. Its rare to find something like this in games now a days.

My favorite feel-good part of the game is right after you stop Elizabeth from dancing and you hear the organ cover of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," while she runs around, taking part in various activities on the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQheaCpjH0I

This is so great! I like the version of "Tainted Love," here too. It's the same kind of funny as that guitar scene from Back to the Future.

Might be because Columbia has been completely separated from the surface world for so long.

TrackerTrem

Neo Member
Elizabeth didn't drown all versions of booker though, she only drowned the ones that chose baptism. If She had drowned the ones who had rejected, she wouldn't have been alive to go back in time to kill him. Like the killing your grandfather paradox

Zeliard

I have no idea why that Boy of Silence jump scare did absolutely nothing for me. Like, I turned around and he was there, and I was like "oh hey." It didn't remotely startle me or actually even really surprise me. It annoys me because jump scares usually get me good. I dunno why it didn't happen there. Maybe because those enemies were never much of a threat.

Ya'll remember Alma and that ladder? Pretty sure I actually had a mild heart attack.

Question, does Booker change his name to Comstock or is he born as Comstock in the universe where he gets baptized?

Whoa, I never thought of this.

I thought this moment really made the game stand out. It was really, really beautiful. Its rare to find something like this in games now a days.

Changes his name when he is 'reborn' through the Baptism.

name "Booker" -> accepts -> name "Comstock"
name "Booker" -> rejects -> name "Booker"

Pagusas

Elden Member
My favorite feel-good part of the game is right after you stop Elizabeth from dancing and you hear the organ cover of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," while she runs around, taking part in various activities on the beach.

This is so great! I like the version of "Tainted Love," here too. It's the same kind of funny as that guitar scene from Back to the Future.

Might be because Columbia has been completely separated from the surface world for so long.

omg that link led me to watch the unaired buffy pilot in the related videos! Thank you!

IronRinn

Walking around that beach I didn't immediately realize what I was hearing. It was one of those "I know I recognize this from somewhere..." moments. I finally stopped to really listen and then it suddenly dawned on me. I completely agree with you. It was probably one of my favorite parts with the game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
anyone know the name of the song thats playing pretty much everytime you are near Mrs. Comstocks grave, or when your going through the history of the Elizabeths "supposed" miraculous birth. It sounds very haunting but I cant find it on the sound track.

Edit: you can here the song in the background at this marker: http://youtu.be/ML1NtwD3Z9Y?t=23m56s

For some reason I'm having difficulty re-playing this game but not because I don't like it I just don't want to get to the end and have that empty feeling. :(

For some reason the ending makes me sad even though I thought it was great.

anyone know the name of the song thats playing pretty much everytime you are near Mrs. Comstocks grave, or when your going through the history of the Elizabeths "supposed" miraculous birth. It sounds very haunting but I cant find it on the sound track.

Edit: you can here the song in the background at this marker: http://youtu.be/ML1NtwD3Z9Y?t=23m56s

The siren's song is a distorted version of Mozart's Lacrimosa, the third portion of his Requiem. The actual song plays near her grave.

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Comstock , at the bottom

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I just thought of an extra detail, the Booker who dies is the one that accepts. In the background you can hear the father saying: "And with what name will you choose to be reborn?", that's when an Elizabeth grabs him and says: "He's Zachary Comstock".

The former hints at the universes where Booker accepted the baptism, not to mention he himself says: "Wait, this is different".

What in the world? Is the guy that appears in Comstock house / warden area? When you shoot him those guys with the masks attack?

I didn't know he could appear out of nowhere.

Btw what the hell was up with those guys with the masks? Were the George Washington Masks? I didn't understand that part of the game.

They're robots.

So the "Are you afraid of God", "No I am afraid of you" turned out to be pretty correct. After all she drowned him...

But the line was given at a bad time. At the intro it seemed so powerful, but the way they deliver it later in the game is so anti-climatic and even a bit out of the blue.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I agree :(.

me too. I thought that line would be at a key, momentousness point in the game, instead it felt forced and out there. And honestly it doesnt make much sense to me either, she's shown nothing but care and respect to Booker (except hitting him with a crow bar) and even with her power utilized for evil the worst thing she does is wait 70 years then attack New York as a grump old woman.

I just thought of an extra detail, the Booker who dies is the one that accepts. In the background you can hear the father saying: "And with what name will you choose to be reborn?", that's when an Elizabeth grabs him and says: "He's Zachary Comstock".

The former hints at the universes where Booker accepted the baptism, not to mention he himself says: "Wait, this is different".

They're robots.

But the line was given at a bad time. At the intro it seemed so powerful, but the way they deliver it later in the game is so anti-climatic and even a bit out of the blue.

evidence? I thought they were people/children who had been brainwashed as that level is basically an asylum.

PatzCU

They're robots.

Pretty sure they are insane people with those masks nailed into their heads. If you look closely, you can see blood running down from their ears from under the masks. Super creepy. I wish there were more parts like this in Infinite. To me, creepy/scary is a staple of the "Shock" franchise (until now of course).

Salamando

Pretty sure they are insane people with those masks nailed into their heads. If you look closely, you can see blood running down from their ears from under the masks. Super creepy. I wish there were more parts like this in Infinite. To me, creepy/scary is a staple of the "Shock" franchise (until now of course).

They also have that weird static thing the Guards stuck in the quantum "both dead and alive" state had. Took it to mean that Comstock house was serving as a place to squirrel away accidents caused by Liz's tearing.

TrackerTrem

Neo Member
Omg that lady Comstock ghost fight was horrible. I had it on easy and still died like 20 times. Luckily she got glitched near a pillar and I just shot her to death...that was a really wonky boss battle.

Mr. Sam

I didn't even notice the covers of anachronistic songs during my playthrough, though I did notice the songs themselves when they were blaring through tears. I take it there's no compilation of them anywhere?

I didn't even notice the covers of anachronistic songs during my playthrough, though I did notice the songs themselves when they were blaring through tears. I take it there's no compilation of them anywhere?

I just know there are covers of "Tainted Love," "God Only Knows," and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

They're all on youtube.

You didn't notice a phonograph playing TAINTED LOVE? That was hilarious.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
evidence? I thought they were people/children who had been brainwashed as that level is basically an asylum.

I think he thought you were talking about the Robot Washington/Lincolns.

Damn, I thought we were talking about these guys. Yeah, they're just orphan kids who were experimented on and have now grown up, hence their clothes are small. They also have some abilities like Elizabeth that allows them to call minions and disappear.

I just know there are covers of "Tainted Love," "God Only Knows," and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

They're all on youtube.

And don't forget Fortunate Son. I can't believe I heard it and didn't recognize it.

Mr. Sam

You didn't notice a phonograph playing TAINTED LOVE? That was hilarious.

I listened to a barbershop quartet do the entirety of God Only Knows and didn't notice anything was amiss. It was only when I heard Fortunate Son coming through a tear after you kill the first handyman that I was like, "Hang on a minute!"

spirity

"The seed of the prophet shall sit the throne
and drown in flames the mountains of man".

The mountains of man are the skyscrapers being attacked by the zeppelin. I hadn't realised this before.

Guevara

"The seed of the prophet shall sit the throne
and drown in flames the mountains of man".

The mountains of man are the skyscrapers being attacked by the zeppelin. I hadn't realised this before.

Like most prophesy, it's generic enough to apply without being specific. I don't really think of high rise buildings as "mountains of men" but whatever.

I listened to a barbershop quartet do the entirety of God Only Knows and didn't notice anything was amiss. It was only when I heard Fortunate Son coming through a tear after you kill the first handyman that I was like, "Hang on a minute!"

It was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" in Battleship Bay that tipped me off. I was like "hold on...is that? Yes, yes it is! What the..."

Top Bottom