• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Neiteio

Your shots are absolutely gorgeous Neiteio! Such impeccable art direction.

I'll jump on the compliment train -- those shots are beautiful.

I want to become a PC gamer just so I can take screens like this. Beautiful.
Thank you! I deleted a lot more than I saved, but I'm happy with the screens I kept. I've kept more than 500 so far. I'll probably have a couple thousand by the end of this playthrough. :)

really? only High? i used Ultra. maybe it's the resolution as well. i'll need to check in the future.
Yep, only High, which was the default. That's for the overall graphics settings -- I didn't dabble in the sub-settings. As a matter of fact, I don't recall having to tweak any settings for this game.

Well, I did rebind melee to the E key, since it feels more intuitive, probably because it's next to W and a melee strike is a "forward" attack. Just be careful not to accidentally thwack NPCs when you just mean to walk forward!

kurahador

So why does this happen to the soldiers you encounter after entering the first tear? They seem to recall being killed (in fact the characters mention it). But they obviously weren't brought through the tear. Same thing with the arms dealer...

I think it's because of Liz's power.

Lutece machine=open portal, small event, random ppl won't get caught up.
Liz=flip the universe upside down, big scale event, random ppl will get caught up.

Zeliard

I think Hall of Heroes is the prettiest environment I've seen in a game. I was continually struck by the exhibits while playing.

Neiteio

I think Hall of Heroes is the prettiest environment I've seen in a game. I was continually struck by the exhibits while playing.
I clearly like Hall of Heroes, too, from all the shots I posted on the last page, but the area I find prettiest is also the one that's most difficult to capture in stills: Comstock House.

In particular, the exterior of Comstock House, before Songbird attacks you at the gondola. So much of the majesty of Comstock House depends on the billowing cloud cover and shifting lighting around the "Mount Rushmore" at its base. It's an incredible sight, one of the most breathtaking in videogames... but so difficult to screencap. :-\

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
One thing I don't understand is why Comstock has a completly different voice than booker? Comstock sounds like Jeff Bridges

Comstock is significantly older. Some people's voices just change. But beyond that, the obvious reason is so that the player doesn't realize they're the same voice actor and put two and two together too early.

DatDude

Banned

The art design in general just consistently knocks it out of the park in practically every square inch of the game.

Can't fathom how some people actually PREFER bio1 art design to infinite's :/

LiK

One thing I don't understand is why Comstock has a completly different voice than booker? Comstock sounds like Jeff Bridges

the voice changes when you're old, i guess. and maybe they simply didn't want people to know it's the same character. it would be easy for people to look up the voices for the game and then figure that out.

The art design in general just consistently knocks it out of the park in practically every square inch of the game.

Rose-tinted glasses, imo. Rapture was amazing but almost too dark to notice anything.

TriGen

I clearly like Hall of Heroes, too, from all the shots I posted on the last page, but the area I find prettiest is also the one that's most difficult to capture in stills: Comstock House.

In particular, the exterior of Comstock House, before Songbird attacks you at the gondola. So much of the majesty of Comstock House depends on the billowing cloud cover and shifting lighting around the "Mount Rushmore" at its base. It's an incredible sight, one of the most breathtaking in videogames... but so difficult to screencap. :-\

I agree. That was the most striking to me.

Neiteio

Both games have superb art direction. In BioShock 1, I particularly like the areas that are flooded. I like how the water reflects the lights from the neon signage in some places.

I do prefer the look of Infinite, though. :)

Drago

On the flip side, I wish old Elizabeth had a different voice actor. She sounded way too young for her age, considering there was basically no voice difference between the old and young Elizabeths.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Rose-tinted glasses, imo. Rapture was amazing but almost too dark to notice anything.

It's not rose tinted. I played Bio 1 right before I played Infinite. I love Columbia, but Rapture managed to capture my imagination better. Don't know why.

LiK

On the flip side, I wish old Elizabeth had a different voice actor. She sounded way too young for her age, considering there was basically no voice difference between the old and young Elizabeths.

really? i thought she sounded fine.

edit: i misread your post

Anyone notice in Hall of Heroes theres a model of the park and if you look under it the way the light hits the model makes the shape of a Mickey Mouse symbol on the ground?

Art design so pretty, you almost forgive how ugly and wooden all the non-important NPCs are, tracking you as you pass by like a carnival sideshow

Drago

really? i thought she sounded fine. i think her enthusiasm was a result of being sheltered so she seemed younger than she reallky was.
Eh, it just sounded a bit off putting to me.

You only see old Elizabeth for a few minutes anyways so I guess it doesn't really matter much.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
There were a few moments in the game where the visuals literally left me stunned. Off the top of my head:

First reveal of Columbia with the Comstock statue (Not really the most visually striking moment, but it was the first and I was not expecting it)

Turning around in Battleship Bay and seeing Monument Island aflame in the distance and all the npcs staring at it in fear

Some of the exhibits in Hall of Heroes

The elevators in Fink's area, the giant work/sleep/leisure clocks, Fink's ridiculous giant golden statue

Outside Comstock House with the heads poking out of the clouds

New York

Walking through the Rapture lighthouse door and seeing the endless Rapture lighthouses

I really need to take screenshots on my next playthrough. I am in awe of their graphics department.

DangerStepp

There were a few moments in the game where the visuals literally left me stunned. Off the top of my head:

First reveal of Columbia with the Comstock statue (Not really the most visually striking moment, but it was the first and I was not expecting it)

Turning around in Battleship Bay and seeing Monument Island aflame in the distance and all the npcs staring at it in fear

Some of the exhibits in Hall of Heroes

The elevators in Fink's area, the giant work/sleep/leisure clocks, Fink's ridiculous giant golden statue

Outside Comstock House with the heads poking out of the clouds

Walking through the Rapture lighthouse door and seeing the endless Rapture lighthouses

I really need to take screenshots on my next playthrough. I am in awe of their graphics department.
I'm right there with you; I've completed it on hard and 1999 and am watching the wife play through it and I still am drawn to it visually.

I don't think I've taken more screenshots of another game.

DatDude

Banned

Agreed. Really dark and depressing:

tumblr_lwo73zq31w1qmsz7g.png

Zxvdea.jpg

compared to:

bsi03.jpg

Infinite just nails this disney storybook look art direction.

Just so inspired, bright, full of life and depth.

Bio1 just felt really dark, depressing, mysterious, but really lacking that color and life that Infinite possessed.

Honestly it feels like when your in a dark room (saying watching a movie in class), and the teacher all of a sudden switched the lights on, and how your eyes are kind of stunned and blinded for a few seconds.

That's what I felt from the transition to Bio1, to Infinite.

Just love this art direction soooo much! <3

Another question I had is that at the beginning of the game they make it seem like theres only 1 handyman (the guy in the freakshow and theres also several voxophones about him) but as you progress there are bunch of handymen im just curious why they only focused on fleshing out one of them. The way the handymen were integrated into the game kind of irritated me the first trailer made it seem like they would have an integral role or at least be like the big daddys in the first game but the way they are in the game is totally random and I would have liked a better story as to why I was fighting them.

DatDude

Banned
Another question I had is that at the beginning of the game they make it seem like theres only 1 handyman (the guy in the freakshow and theres also several voxophones about him) but as you progress there are bunch of handymen im just curious why they only focused on fleshing out one of them. The way the handymen were integrated into the game kind of irritated me the first trailer made it seem like they would have an integral role or at least be like the big daddys in the first game but the way they are in the game is totally random and I would have liked a better story as to why I was fighting them.

there isn't just 1 sole handy man.

they were produced similar to big daddies, in that there are multiple's of them.

LiK

would've been nice if maybe just one of them helped you out.

I'm glad im not the only one who thought Columbia reminded me of Disneyland. I wonder if the influence was intentional. Just like how there are parallels between Rapture and Walt Disney's original plans for Epcot Center in the 60s.

main_street.jpg

Even the way the doors pop open in this game reminds me of the classic dark rides like Snow White and Mr.Toad's Wild Ride
7b9_4ba731e0a0.jpg

DatDude

Banned
I'm glad im not the only one who thought Columbia reminded me of Disneyland. I wonder if the influence was intentional. Just like how there are parallels between Rapture and Walt Disney's original plans for Epcot Center in the 60s.

main_street.jpg

Even the way the doors pop open in this game reminds me of the classic dark rides like Snow White and Mr.Toad's Wild Ride
7b9_4ba731e0a0.jpg

Ken Levine said in one of the video interviews that he was heavily inspired by disney land and the whole main street usa look.

The entire game feels like a theme park ride, for better or worse. It's pretty obvious where Levine's getting his storytelling visual aids from.

BIGWORM

I almost passed out from playing this game on my PC. When all of the storytelling opened up towards the end, the last scene left me jaw-dropped.

DrNeroCF

This one sentence made sense of the whole nosebleed thing to me better than anything else.

So thanks. :p

As an aside, since the Luteces are the same person, just opposite gender, that would mean there are universes where there are female Bookers and male Elizabeths, right? Just a little thought I had.
Would be cool to play a genderswap Bioshock Infinite, seeing as it would actually be a plausible thing in that world.

Yeah, I thought about that, but Elizabeth's powers grew mostly after her first period, so maybe they're somewhat reliant on her being a female? Assuming a male Elizabeth hitting puberty wouldn't be similar enough...

Zeliard

Lots of picturesque moments, to be sure. I mean, how about that intro when you enter Columbia? The lighting (candles were a great touch), the temple architecture, the brilliant stained glass art, the towering sculptures, the gathering of robed clergy, the shallow water reflecting the gorgeous art and effectively filling the screen with it - just sublime.

Then you add "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?" on top and it's like, just stop, Irrational. Threatening to overwhelm the senses and shit.

DatDude

Banned
Lots of picturesque moments, to be sure. I mean, how about that intro when you enter Columbia? The lighting (candles were a great touch), the temple architecture, the brilliant stained glass art, the towering sculptures, the gathering of robed clergy, the shallow water reflecting the gorgeous art and effectively filling the screen with it - just sublime.

Then you add "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?" on top and it's like, just stop, Irrational. Threatening to overwhelm the senses and shit.

That choir, muther of god.

I swear. Just such beauty in every sense.

Zeliard

I have my share of misgivings about the game but the aesthetics are beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned. Superlative job by the art and audio guys.

The next scene is even better I think, because you've been so restricted by this small window you haven't see Columbia in all it's glory.

You open those doors and bam! One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a video game. If you didn't experience this at 1080p+ resolution, I'm sorry, but you missed out, my friend.

Not only did the game have a Disneyland aesthetic but there were scenes that were as if they were taken straight out of a 90s Disney movie (like when you first meet Elizabeth and the part with the guitar). It was like a Disney movie for adults. Seems like they should have hired Ken Levine instead of Warren Spector.

Arsenic

Yep, I spared him the first time, too. This time it seemed really clear to me that he wanted to die a hero's death. So... BLAM. Quick and painless!

Thanks. It's a beautiful game! :)

Those shots are indeed great, makes me regret not taking more for myself :(

I have to play this magnificent game again soon!

"To those who loved me, I was the most generous of souls. There was no pain I would deny them. No betrayal I would not gladly give. And when I had scorched the hearts of all who loved me, the Prophet said, “There is nothing you can do for which I will not forgive you, for God has granted me sight, and through His eyes, even you are loved."

Lady Comstock sounded like...a popular woman

Top Bottom