• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

number47

So what happened to Anna in comstocks dimension? Because how did he know to steal bookers daughter. Who was lady comstock? Just a wife?
It's a possibility comstock sold his daughter and that's why he came back for his in another dimension.
So basically the twins fixed a rip in a universe to never let comstock exist. Which results in Booker may or may not selling his daughter to someone else.

Am I off somewhere?

waters10

Neo Member
So what happened to Anna in comstocks dimension?
There was no Anna in Comstock's timeline. After baptism, he met Lutece, built Columbia and met Lady Comstock, just his wife. He got sterile before he could have a kid, which is why he decided to steal from another dimension. Anna's birth is one more result that depends on the baptism decision.

-griffy-

Banned
Another odd one. How would there be a dimension with Booker to become a revoltionist and comstock in it?

It's an alternate version of the same story playing out, where Booker is sent to Columbia to get Elizabeth, only in this timeline he was successful in getting the weapons for Fitzroy before the gunsmith died, so he helps the Vox get powerful and becomes a martyr for their cause. It's not a reality where Booker and Comstock both exist, it's essentially the same thing as "our Booker's" reality.

How do you get into the little side building in the graveyard with the piece of gear?

Use Devil's Kiss to light the the torches on either side of the crypt. I had to look this up on the internet when I encountered it because it's the only thing resembling a puzzle in pretty much the entire game.

waters10

Neo Member
It's an alternate version of the same story playing out, where Booker is sent to Columbia to get Elizabeth, only in this timeline he was successful in getting the weapons for Fitzroy before the gunsmith died, so he helps the Vox get powerful and becomes a martyr for their cause. It's not a reality where Booker and Comstock both exist, it's essentially the same thing as "our Booker's" reality.
Yeah, it's one of "many worlds, all different, all similar", a minor variation of Booker's timeline, not a major variation like y/n baptism. In this one, Elizabeth wasn't at Monument Island, but at Comstock house, because he knew Booker was coming. Booker was friendly with Slate and he needed the help from the Vox, to assault Comstock house and get Liz, as the house was heavily guarded. So he wasn't part of the Vox per se, he was only doing it to get their help. There are quite a few voxophones recorded by Booker himself that explain this. Even one where he's about to die and start screaming Anna, which is not clear either if he started to remember that Anna was Liz or not ...

This brings a question. What triggered Comstock moving Liz to his house from Monument Island? It makes a lot more sense to keep her there! How did Comstock know Booker was coming in some timelines, but not in others?

Also, what's this Toy Maker you guys mentioned? I'd like to see this cut concept.

He is mentioned in the art of bioshock infinite, I have the book, but I haven't opened it.

From Forbes:

My favorite section of the book is an early section in which several designs explore an insane toymaker’s creations. The illustrations are both chilling and highly detailed, showing a gorgeous world of possibility. The mechanical owl and rabbit are especially rooted in early 1900s style, looking like a macabre greeting card of the time. I imagine the toymaker was scrapped as seemingly a little too reminiscent of someone like Sandor Cohen, but he may have also provided an intriguing look at the citizens of Columbia.

From MetroidVania

Out of all the concepts left out this one is my favorite. It’s a crazy toymaker that sends his creations after Booker and Elizabeth like Soundwave from Transformers sending his tapes out. I get an Alice in Wonderlandvibe from these toys and maybe the concept was too Batman-ish, but my beans are freaked just looking at the art. This is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

tumblr_inline_mkuqqyWe4D1qzjaml.jpg

Also would have loved to seen the demon priest and the magician in the game, but at least there's a chance via DLC.

Trigger

There is one bit in this game i can't get my head around or am misunderstanding, the gunsmith stuff, that instantly changes Columbia.

OK, so Chen had been tortured to death, so Liz opens a tear into another timeline where he hadn't been killed (and had a different wife), after loads of pointless shit involving a ghostly Chen manipulating invisible machines that you need to find tools for, for some reason, they find the guns, and somehow pull them back to what was supposed to be their original reality.........only everything is different.
Its not your original reality, obviously because of all the shit going on, posters everywhere about the victory of the Vox, and how that universes Booker helped bring it about.

So, from that point you spent the rest of the game in that timeline and never returned to the original one?

Yes.

Which is a bit weird as that would imply that the Daisy we originally made the deal with never got her weapons. In retrospect I'm not sure that was the best plan on Liz and Booker's parts.

SwagJesus

Banned
Just finished this last night. The bird/zeppelin sequence was too good! I feel like there was more then enough explanation that I am not really looking forward to DLC. Probably going to go back through to find some things I missed though.

Have they gave any hints on what type of DLC they will be releasing?

I'm going for the Heartbreaker trophy at the minute, and bleh, the Handymen really aren't very fun to fight.

The VERY FIRST Handyman I fought, he glitched and got stuck on some boxes. I took his heart out easily with a sniper rifle. I was playing on Hard so I was very lucky this happened.

I tried to repeat the glitch on my 1999 run, but no success.

Goldrush

Throughout most of the game, Elizabeth's power seems to be bounce between dimensional travel and modifying reality and all of time and history changes to accommodate it. By the end, it's clearly the former.

Just like time travel, I guess the mechanic is something you shouldn't delve too much into. Particularly, why did we not see other versions of ourselves in other timelines? What happened to the version of Elizabeth that was at Comstock's mansion when we entered the armed Vox dimension?

edit: and what was with Chen being a crazy ghost? Along with the police who had nose-bleeds? Liz never pulled them across the multi-verse with her surely? Or did she combine two realities, the original and Chen still alive one? "They remember being dead". Ugh, getting a nose-bleed myself here, i loved Finktown until that point.
I interpreted it as Universe B integrating Elizabeth's/Booker's Universe A memories into itself when they cross over. Hence Ghost Lady Comstock.
Just like time travel, I guess the mechanic is something you shouldn't delve too much into. Particularly, why did we not see other versions of ourselves in other timelines? What happened to the version of Elizabeth that was at Comstock's mansion when we entered the armed Vox dimension?
I think the idea is that Universe B Elizabookers are also jumping at the same time, which you see in the Lighthouse realm. The game kinda takes a shortcut with the multiverse concept by using both the "infinite universes with minor changes slowly giving way to big differences" and the "Sliders" approach where you jump a lot of universes at once.

waters10

Neo Member
Yes.

Which is a bit weird as that would imply that the Daisy we originally made the deal with never got her weapons. In retrospect I'm not sure that was the best plan on Liz and Booker's parts.
No! We don't spend all the time in that timeline! When Booker is crossing the bridge and suddenly there's snow, that's another jump to another timeline in the future, one where Booker never came to save Liz. And then another jump when you go talk to old Liz. Then another jump to rescue Liz. There's nothing saying that you got back to a previous timeline or a very similar version. Not that it matters though, many worlds, all different, all similar.

Trigger

Yes.

No! We don't spend all the time in that timeline! When Booker is crossing the bridge and suddenly there's snow, that's another jump to another timeline in the future, one where Booker never came to save Liz. And then another jump when you go talk to old Liz. Then another jump to rescue Liz. There's nothing saying that you got back to a previous timeline or a very similar version. Not that it matters though, many worlds, all different, all similar.

????

My post was in reference to the original timeline where Our Booker makes the deal with Daisy. We never technically return to it. I didn't say we can't return; I'm saying that Booker and Liz never did. I'm not even sure why you quoted me, lol.

Ah, wait. I get what you're saying now.

waters10

Neo Member
????

My post was in reference to the original timeline where Our Booker makes the deal with Daisy. We never technically return to it. I didn't say we can't return; I'm saying that Booker and Liz never did. I'm not even sure why you quoted me, lol.
Well, his question was a bit confusing. He asked if we spend the rest of the game in that timeline, and the answer is NO. He also states that we never return to the original timeline, and the answer is YES, like you posted. I took your post as saying yes to the first question, hence my reply. Hope this clear things.

Kacar

Ok, I just finally beat it. My dudebro roomates caused me to not be able to clearly hear some of the dialogue.

I guess i had a pretty good understanding of everything. Except I guess everything involving the twins. Up until the last moment and even during the credits i had no clue who they were or what their purpose was.

I guess the big thing I missed was that Fink tried to kill them, when was this?

Trigger

Ok, I just finally beat it. My dudebro roomates caused me to not be able to clearly hear some of the dialogue.

I guess i had a pretty good understanding of everything. Except I guess everything involving the twins. Up until the last moment and even during the credits i had no clue who they were or what their purpose was.

I guess the big thing I missed was that Fink tried to kill them, when was this?

Fink killed them prior to the game's start. It's mentioned in two voxophones:

"Comstock has sabotaged our contraption. Yet, we are not dead. A theory: we are scattered amongst the possibility space. But my brother and I are together, and so, I am content. He is not. The business with the girl lies unresolved. But perhaps there is one who can finish it in our stead."

Estelle: "That's insanity. What proof would you have that Mr. Fink would hurt the Luteces?"
Rupert: "The Luteces told me."
Estelle: "The Luteces? When?"
Rupert: "Yesterday. Yesterday morning."
Estelle: "Rupert...they've been dead for these seven days..."

I swear there was another voxophone/note where Fink explicitly mentions being called on to do the deed, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Anyway, they eventually decided to undue the whole time tear thing, and ultimately they are the ones that set the game's events into motion. So that would answer the purpose part of your question.

I believe you're thinking of the tear in the vault in The Bank of the Prophet, right before you fight Lady Comstock for the second time. In it I believe a representative of Comstock promises Fink all of the Lutece's patents for killing them.

Bless. That was going to bother me all day, haha.

IronRinn

I swear there was another voxophone/note where Fink explicitly mentions being called on to do the deed, but I can't find it for the life of me.

I believe you're thinking of the tear in the vault in The Bank of the Prophet, right before you fight Lady Comstock for the second time. In it I believe a representative of Comstock promises Fink all of the Lutece's patents for killing them.

Lakitu

st5fu
Man, I really want to buy The Art of Bioshock Infinite, but is it available in PDF format?

But I'm guessing it's not. I don't have a kindle and I don't really have any more room whatsoever to buy a hardcopy. Oh well, I'll get it down the line, just love seeing that stuff.

Deitus

I think the idea is that Universe B Elizabookers are also jumping at the same time, which you see in the Lighthouse realm. The game kinda takes a shortcut with the multiverse concept by using both the "infinite universes with minor changes slowly giving way to big differences" and the "Sliders" approach where you jump a lot of universes at once.

I don't think that quite works though.

Talking about multiple universes is confusing, so I'll refer to the universe where Booker first arrives in Columbia as Columbia-A, the universe they go to where Chen is still alive as Columbia-B, and the universe where the Vox are armed as Columbia C.

In Columbia B, Booker did not reach Elizabeth (or had not yet), because she was moved. He joined up with Slate (and thus was somewhat aligned with the Vox) as a means to get to Elizabeth. Since the Vox were not armed, it is quite likely that he would never succeed.

In Columbia C, Booker died, having never met Elizabeth. Later on in this universe Comstock reprimands Elizabeth over the intercom for following the false shepherd, and then Songbird comes to capture her. It seems an odd thing to do if there was another version of Elizabeth that was already safely in his custody.

It's possible that Elizabeth decided to jump between universes on her own to escape from Comstock, but nothing in the game suggests this.

DatDude

Banned
He is mentioned in the art of bioshock infinite, I have the book, but I haven't opened it.

From Forbes:

My favorite section of the book is an early section in which several designs explore an insane toymaker’s creations. The illustrations are both chilling and highly detailed, showing a gorgeous world of possibility. The mechanical owl and rabbit are especially rooted in early 1900s style, looking like a macabre greeting card of the time. I imagine the toymaker was scrapped as seemingly a little too reminiscent of someone like Sandor Cohen, but he may have also provided an intriguing look at the citizens of Columbia.

From MetroidVania

Out of all the concepts left out this one is my favorite. It’s a crazy toymaker that sends his creations after Booker and Elizabeth like Soundwave from Transformers sending his tapes out. I get an Alice in Wonderlandvibe from these toys and maybe the concept was too Batman-ish, but my beans are freaked just looking at the art. This is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Also would have loved to seen the demon priest and the magician in the game, but at least there's a chance via DLC.

I don't know why, but it feels like it would've felt really out of place. Not sure why either :/

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have a couple of questions I didn't see in the OT:

(1) Why didn't Booker's nose bleed when Booker and Liz went to the alternate universe where Booker was a martyr for the Vox? Also, why didn't Booker feel strange, go crazy, and act like a zombie like Chen Lin and others who had had their alternate dimension forms die?

(2) Why was Comstock in the other dimension with Robert Lutece when you give Anna to Comstock as they go through the portal. Isn't that the first time that Robert Lutece and Rosalind Lutece interact so why would Comstock be in Booker and Robert Lutece's dimension when he should be with Rosalind Lutece?

(3) There seemed to be only a few Liz's present when they kill Booker - if there's an infinite number of dimensions then they couldn't be all the Lizs from every dimension (I understand how Booker represents the focal point across all dimensions for becoming Comstock).

Use Devil's Kiss to light the the torches on either side of the crypt. I had to look this up on the internet when I encountered it because it's the only thing resembling a puzzle in pretty much the entire game.
Haha I remember exploring the area to find some clues as to what would open it. Couldn't find anything and moved on, then got to the point where I had to fight Lady Comstock and gave it another look, "There are two torches, do they really want me to light them?" So I tossed some Devil's Kisses and sure enough. Game could've used more of that.

What the hell was that thing in the future Comstock house/asylum? The guy with the mask with the two cones on the side of his ears who "sees all". Was he elaborated on in any way in a recording or something I missed?

Deitus

I have a couple of questions I didn't see in the OT:

(1) Why didn't Booker's nose bleed when Booker and Liz went to the alternate universe where Booker was a martyr for the Vox? Also, why didn't Booker feel strange, go crazy, and act like a zombie like Chen Lin and others who had had their alternate dimension forms die?

His nose did bleed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEuzeqV9Cs&feature=player_detailpage#t=188s. As for why he didn't go crazy, I would assume the fact that he was aware of multiple universes allowed his mind to process his contradicting memories somewhat better. Also, he was extremely focused on his mission, which prevented him from trying too hard to remember, and Elizabeth caught him when he started to drift off.

(2) Why was Comstock in the other dimension with Robert Lutece when you give Anna to Comstock as they go through the portal. Isn't that the first time that Robert Lutece and Rosalind Lutece interact so why would Comstock be in Booker and Robert Lutece's dimension when he should be with Rosalind Lutece?

He traveled across to get Elizabeth. Robert Lutece brokered the deal itself, but presumably Comstock didn't want to leave anything to chance, and traveled across himself to bring Elizabeth back. Maybe he anticipated Booker would go back on the deal, and didn't want to risk him overpowering Robert. Or maybe he's just a control freak (well, that one's not really a stretch).

(3) There seemed to be only a few Liz's present when they kill Booker - if there's an infinite number of dimensions then they couldn't be all the Lizs from every dimension (I understand how Booker represents the focal point across all dimensions for becoming Comstock).

Either they didn't want there to be hundreds of Elizabeths onscreen, or they just didn't want to design more character models and thought reusing models would cheapen the scene. Either way, I don't think there was a significance to the specific number that they used.

Lakitu

st5fu
3 story related episodes..2 directed by levine.

Just curious, is there a source for this? Hope it's true.

Yep, when you're coming back from the Hall of Heroes, you can also pull up the shuttered gates to the bookstore and ice cream parlor. Lots of cash inside, and it looks cool after hours. Here's a shot I took of the ice cream parlor after it's closed (and check out dat leaning Liz):

For reference, here's the same shop when it's open before the Hall of Heroes:

Wow thanks, didn't know that. Can't believe I missed it in 4 playthroughs. Going try it on my next one (if I'm not too busy getting killed on 1999 mode). I'll be honest though, I even missed the last two voxophones that were preventing me from getting the achievement (the last two rooms in the airship).

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
*answers*

Thanks! All of those make sense. I was just trying to wrap my head around the whole story and those few things I couldn't remember or see an explanation for.

What the hell was that thing in the future Comstock house/asylum? The guy with the mask with the two cones on the side of his ears who "sees all". Was he elaborated on in any way in a recording or something I missed?

I forgot that thing's name but he was an invincible creature created presumably by Old Elizabeth. She decided that the only way to destroy her creation was before it existed, hence time traveling Booker.

waters10

Neo Member
It's a representation. Picture Neo fighting hundreds of Smiths in Matrix 2. That wouldn't look right in Bioshock!

Trigger

I forgot that thing's name but he was an invincible creature created presumably by Old Elizabeth. She decided that the only way to destroy her creation was before it existed, hence time traveling Booker.

Boys of Silence. I was a bit sad that we don't get more details on how they are created.

Reading reviews as well as hearing critiques of the game, I wondered something I hadn't thought of before. Was it intentional that with Infinite all of the Ayn Rand (most lets say) idealism was completely washed away?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I did not react favourably to the end of this game. Just a very loud "uuurrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh" groan.

Arment

What a damn ride. Just read the whole FAQ and it did a great job of helping me wrap my mind around the game and the ending.

This is easily one of the best game stories I've experienced.

Estocolmo

In the "town" of Emporia, were you meet the Ghost of Lady Comstock three time. There is a store with some dollar bill and ven vidi vigor machines with a lady that seems to be stuck in time. She is black and white and just stands there, and if you shoot her she disappears. Any answer to this?

Con_Smith

Banned
In the "town" of Emporia, were you meet the Ghost of Lady Comstock three time. There is a store with some dollar bill and ven vidi vigor machines with a lady that seems to be stuck in time. She is black and white and just stands there, and if you shoot her she disappears. Any answer to this?

The lady sweeping in the burning building? Don't remember a lady just standing or being black and white.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

From Forbes:

From MetroidVania

Arghh, why couldn't this be in the game?! Guys, how big is the game? 8GB? or 12? Could they have cut content to fit it in a single DVD?

3 story related episodes..2 directed by levine.

Then what could the other be about? Hope it's just as good as the others. I always need to remind myself that the team might be represented with some guys, but one being absent doesn't mean that it won't be good.

Damn, the Lutece one is amazing. The ending is awesome.
"Tears! I have no idea how they work, but they're awesome!"

Top Bottom