• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

No one is going to read this, but I need to detox my excitement with a little typing.

Ever since my uncle gave me Sonic and a Genesis, I've loved gaming. When I got older and discovered my knack for writing and love of film, I started to wonder what the deal was with video games. Here is a palette for true interactive narrative, yet most of the best efforts fizzled with the turn of the century.

Not that there haven't been good stories in games, there have, but the industry got so hung up on graphics this, and multiplayer that, the industry took a turn for the "fun." And I like fun, fun is nice. But when its the only target a game aims for, the narrative get's left on the road like a freshly hit deer.

Then I played BioShock. I loved and have continued to love this game across my seven playthroughs. It managed to harvest all the things I want from a game. Rich visual fidelity, sound design, and a multifaceted narrative that never assumes that because its a game it can't be great. Oh, and it was pretty damn fun, too.

I'm sick with excitement right now, knowing I get to see the next step of this kind of software. No matter how the game turns out, or what my ultimate takeaway is, I just want to express my appreciation for this company, and all their fine work over the years. Of all the top companies, you are the only one who assumed my matured vision of what games could be. Thanks for supporting this hobby of mine so soundly!

/salute

gaming can and should encompass Bejeweled to Bioshock!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
i hope not. half the fun is having your own theory/personal desire, rather than being told this is the definitive end concept.
I'd still like to know what IG has to say.

Hopefully FartOfWar and OneLetter joins us in the spoiler thread to talk about it.

No one is going to read this, but I need to detox my excitement with a little typing.

Ever since my uncle gave me Sonic and a Genesis, I've loved gaming. When I got older and discovered my knack for writing and love of film, I started to wonder what the deal was with video games. Here is a palette for true interactive narrative, yet most of the best efforts fizzled with the turn of the century.

Not that there haven't been good stories in games, there have, but the industry got so hung up on graphics this, and multiplayer that, the industry took a turn for the "fun." And I like fun, fun is nice. But when its the only target a game aims for, the narrative get's left on the road like a freshly hit deer.

Then I played BioShock. I loved and have continued to love this game across my seven playthroughs. It managed to harvest all the things I want from a game. Rich visual fidelity, sound design, and a multifaceted narrative that never assumes that because its a game it can't be great. Oh, and it was pretty damn fun, too.

I'm sick with excitement right now, knowing I get to see the next step of this kind of software. No matter how the game turns out, or what my ultimate takeaway is, I just want to express my appreciation for this company, and all their fine work over the years. Of all the top companies, you are the only one who assumed my matured vision of what games could be. Thanks for supporting this hobby of mine so soundly!

By the way, forgive my dopey meme response to your post. I agree with every word.

Vire

Heading over to Gamestop in about 10 minutes.

Incredibly excited to finally get my hands on this game...

Only took 6 years.

antitrop

Ah, thanks. Does stuff like this mean a big performance hit? I think I can handle it now that I have my HD Radeon 7870 and shit though

It can be sort of fun in a geeky, tech-nerd sort of way to figure out the best AA settings for each games. It's almost sort of a puzzle, getting the perfect frame rate from best possible graphical settings. I'd say it took well over an hour of configuration and tweaking this morning to get Infinite where I wanted it, but I'm happy with where my settings are.

2 hours into the game and this feels more solid then Bioshock. Thanks for those gaffers that were in the stream! I absolutely love the world. Moving into the skyhooks and rail is done with ease. Combat feels great. Atmosphere is fantastic. I'm at a loss for words. Even seeing all the scores I was a bit skeptical... my goodness! I just... I love it. Unless it takes a dramatic turn for the worse later... this will rank as one of my top FPS games of all time.

antitrop

2 hours into the game and this feels more solid then Bioshock. Thanks for those gaffers that were in the stream! I absolutely love the world. Moving into the skyhooks and rail is done with ease. Combat feels great. Atmosphere is fantastic. I'm at a loss for words. Even seeing all the scores I was a bit skeptical... my goodness! I just... I love it. Unless it takes a dramatic turn for the worse later... this will rank as one of my top FPS games of all time.

3x as far as you, still feel the same.

Vire

To drive to the Gamestop at midnight, or not to drive to the Gamestop at midnight.

That is the question.

tumblr_lxuv0i7vFH1qaee3oo1_400.gif

woober

Two hours into the game and there are so many parallels to Bioshock 1. I've yet to decide whether I like the game or not.

Amir0x

Banned

I am so excited to hear the soundtrack people keep praising it. I really liked Bioshock's soundtrack and yet few people mention it these days.

Can't wait to run around skyhooking.

Also, FartOfWar, tell your peeps that a RAPTURE/COLUMBIA amusement park with SKYHOOK rollercoasters will take everyone's money everywhere

Rapture can be like part amusement park and part aquarium...

*swoon*

It can be sort of fun in a geeky, tech-nerd sort of way to figure out the best AA settings for each games. It's almost sort of a puzzle, getting the perfect frame rate from best possible graphical settings. I'd say it took well over an hour of configuration and tweaking this morning to get Infinite where I wanted it, but I'm happy with where my settings are.

haha yeah. I am still toying with Tomb Raider settings whenever I get the desire to slog. Of course before I was trying to get the game to run on half-way decent settings with my HD Radeon 5870, which was hard. Tomb Raider seems unoptimized as shit.

Sullichin

Ahhh GMG went into maintenance in the middle of my order, charged my paypal and then refunded it. I shouldn't have waited until the last minute. I really hope that I can still get the bundle deal/cashback when it comes out of maintenance. I might just say fuck it and order it on Steam now instead...

I admit, I was skeptical of this game's quality after so many delays and developer departures.

But kudos to Kevin & the team for sticking it through and ensuring the game reached a level of quality that it deserved.

I will have to pick this up for PS3 once I get my $10 discount in April. Looking forward to it greatly.

I think a lot has to be said for 2K as well for letting something like this happen, not a lot of publishers these days let these types of games happen knowing they might end up at a loss money wise. Massive props to both dev and publisher that may not eb the best selling game ever but once again creating a classic and a huge hit with gamers the world over.
We should erect a shrine of Ken Levine somewhere

Yeah, i agree. Take 2 (the parent company) is really a great publisher. They take risks and most importantly give their studios all the time they need, and don`t mandatory dev cycles.

They already gave me the Darkness, Bioshock 1 and Red Dead and it looks like i can add Infinte as well.

And to the hell: all their games even have coloured manuals.

Just a great publisher.

I am so excited to hear the soundtrack people keep praising it. I really liked Bioshock's soundtrack and yet few people mention it these days.

Can't wait to run around skyhooking.

Also, FartOfWar, tell your peeps that a RAPTURE/COLUMBIA amusement park with SKYHOOK rollercoasters will take everyone's money everywhere

Rapture can be like part amusement park and part aquarium...

*swoon*

This game just feels like it had a lot of love put into it. As for the bolded... ummm... yeahhhhh :D

liquidfox00

Neo Member
Ahhh GMG went into maintenance in the middle of my order, charged my paypal and then refunded it. I shouldn't have waited until the last minute. I really hope that I can still get the bundle deal/cashback when it comes out of maintenance. I might just say fuck it and order it on Steam now instead...

Ahh that sucks. I didn't jump on the deal until about 5:00pm eastern. Glad I made up my mind when I did. I hope it's back up and offering the deal for you.

t-ramp

Yeah, same here.

Sullichin

Ahh that sucks. I didn't jump on the deal until about 5:00pm eastern. Glad I made up my mind when I did. I hope it's back up and offering the deal for you.

The steam preorder deal is still pretty good (although I already own X-COM), I will wait a little bit longer and then get it there if GMG isn't up so I can still get the preorder bonuses.

dookeh

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the player's health bar? Damn thing is on the screen 90% of the time and makes my plasma unhappy.

Gorillaz

apart of me feels like I know what the big twist is at the end of the game. Haven't played it yet but someone tell me if I'm hot or cold...or warm?
It doesn't actually take place in 1912 and/or it's all in his mind

Top Bottom