• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Only a couple of hours in, but it instantly solved one of BioShock's greatest problems: the gunplay. Shooting and fighting here feels so, so much better.

PFZXVpb.gif

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Hyped.

I just left the vigors on the right mouse button because I can't work with toggle zoom on rmb.

Toggle zoom. I mean why does that even exist.
I see what you mean. Decisions! I used to toggle zoom in L4D sniper rifle for picking off common infected, but it may not be appropriate in this situation. You know, because zombies don't shoot back at you.

nbthedude

Shawn said that in a video though.

I mean maybe it wasn't the primary reason i'm guessing, but he said it's much more difficult to make that kind of style, and that it would've cost more money.

his words, i swear i'm not lying. maybe he is, but there is a video that i'm desperately trying to find.

Uh... dude. You are talking to Shawn and (apparently) telling him what he said/meant.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time

I mean maybe it wasn't the primary reason i'm guessing, but he said it's much more difficult to make that kind of style, and that it would've cost more money.

his words, i swear i'm not lying. maybe he is, but there is a video that i'm desperately trying to find.

Yeah... you're talking to Shawn.

Edit: Hang on... I almost forgot. More than one Shawn.

Necrovex

So guys, will the game be unlocked at midnight for EST time zoners? I need to figure out if I should brew some coffee to prepare myself for some blissful gaming.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow, that's not true AT ALL. That style wasn't abandoned due to costs. Pfft.

Ah. Do you have any more detail on why you guys changed the style? Just tone shift? Don't get me wrong, I love the Infinite style (shooters with bright, intense colors is sort of one of my thangs), I'm just curious is all.

Only FXAA in game with a Binary toggle. UI scales way down with downsampling, I can't go higher than 2880x1660 or the UI is unreadable (#firstworldproblems). ADS is a Toggle only. No manual saving. Huge stuttering problems for some(that I have not had myself).

That's it, though. As I've said throughout the day in the PC performance thread, this game runs on par with many other UE3 games as far as actual performance goes. I'm getting locked 60.
The only "port issue" I've ran into are technical quotes common with UE3. Poor shadow rendering distance and stuttering being the two biggest culprits. Stuttering isn't often, but the dip in frames when streaming new data is noticeable. And I put that down squarely to UE3, due to numerous UE3 games on PC having the same problem no matter how powerful your hardware is. High quality shadow rendering distance is ass, maybe tweakable. But that's it.

No bugs. No crashes. Not enough AA options (literally just one mysterious "Anti-Aliasing", probably FXAA), but again it's UE3.

thanks for the detail here guys. I hope there's a way to crack in some more AA options, it's indefensible at this point for PC games. Come on devs :p

But overall doesn't sound so bad, I thought it'd be a lot worse. As long as I can max detail and get 60fps+ locked, I'll be ok. Game has a gorgeous art style.

Grief.exe

That isn't correct? Clips are the bullets and magazines are just the container, right?

No, all of the guns in the game are magazine fed, at least as far as I have gotten.

Bullets, go into magazines.

Certain guns use clips. You attach the bullets to a clip and insert it into the gun. Usually really old guns use this method, The M1 Garand as an example.

Here is a picture of a clip.

Sullichin

Shouldn't have read this thread. Sounds so good. Can't help myself, getting it from GMG.
So with the $14 cash back, $14 will just appear in my paypal account in a few days? Plus I get Bioshock 1, X-COM (which I already own and can sell I suppose), and Darkness II for free. What the fuck yes.
It's stuck on the processing page. Anyone know from experience if it's pointless to stay on that page for a good while, will it eventually go through, or should I re-start the order?

I honestly can't comprehend the thought process behind Toggle ADS.
A little bit disappointing that this wasn't caught in play testing. I'm looking forward to a patch to include an option.

I was staring at ADS for a while trying to figure out what it means. For anyone else, it probably means Aim Down Sights. My googling failed at filtering advertisements in games.

edit: There are moments in a game where it feels appropriate to hold it down and other moments to toggle.

No bugs. No crashes. Not enough AA options (literally just one mysterious "Anti-Aliasing", probably FXAA), but again it's UE3.

If only I could say the same thing.

Either the game crashes or my driver does, result is the same. Pretty similar to Tomb Raider except in Tomb Raider I didn't have to worry about losing progress.

I can stand to listen to the same lines so many times...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No, all of the guns in the game are magazine fed, at least as far as I have gotten.

Certain guns use clips. You attach the bullets to a clip and insert it into the gun. Usually really old guns use this method, The M1 Garand as an example.

Ah, OK. For some reason I always though bullets were put into clips, then the clip goes in a magazine.

Nitpickiest of nitpicks if I ever saw one :p

FartOfWar

Banned

As you've noticed there are indeed still nouveau elements in Columbia, however, once we started exploring the story angle we took we knew pure high nouveau wouldn't sell the scene as it was evolving.

Zeliard

Athanks for the detail here guys. I hope there's a way to crack in some more AA options, it's indefensible at this point for PC games. Come on devs :p

But overall doesn't sound so bad, I thought it'd be a lot worse. As long as I can max detail and get 60fps+ locked, I'll be ok. Game has a gorgeous art style.

You can downsample and/or inject SMAA.

Kind of inclined to say it's the best-looking game I've played, as a whole. The tech does enough to allow the art to fully shine (no pun intended), and boy does it.

Lingitiz

Everything definitely feels a bit more linear so far. Its not necessarily a bad thing though, as I thought Bioshock 1's areas could get really stale at times. Infinite feels like its always moving along at a pretty good pace.

Grief.exe

Ah, OK. For some reason I always though bullets were put into clips, then the clip goes in a magazine.

There are actually some guns that work like that though.

The magazine is usually attached, and you just insert the clip. The clip ejects when it is out of bullets, and you insert a new one.

Try calling a Magazine a Clip in the military. I'm serious.
It's punishment worthy. As was calling a Rifle a Gun.

But ya, it's nitpicky.

It just that one thing that instantly shows someone you know nothing.

Like when you watch Fox News try to discuss video games.

FartOfWar

Banned
Anyone got any tips for the last mission
on the airship with the Songbird? Even on Easy it's still impossible. My ship keeps getting destroyed :/

Seriously, don't unhide this if you aren't at the end.
On easy? welp. Use traps around the engine, use tears, and your new buddy. Take out the Patriot zeps asap.

Hylian7

So do any of these choices actually make a difference on what happens immediately after? Minor spoilers below:

I'm not talking about the two weird people that always walk up to you and ask you to pick something random, but I'm talking about things like throwing the baseball at the beginning, or the guy behind the ticket counter. It seemed like the same thing would have happened either way regardless of what I chose. For those two examples, I chose to throw the baseball at the announcer and demanded the tickets.

Amir0x

Banned
You can downsample and/or inject SMAA.

Kind of inclined to say it's the best-looking game I've played, as a whole. The tech does enough to allow the art to fully shine (no pun intended), and boy does it.

how does one 'inject' SMAA? Not sure what the term means here, but I'd love details on it. I'm still trying to learn all the PC tricks, I loves me my PC.

I am sure you're right. The tech may not be #1, but the art direction is just mind blowingly good. It's one of the reasons I am so positive about this game so far, because the reason I most loved Bioshock was for its stunningly realized world of Rapture, and Columbia seems equal to the task.

Lingitiz

So do any of these choices actually make a difference on what happens immediately after? Minor spoilers below:

I'm not talking about the two weird people that always walk up to you and ask you to pick something random, but I'm talking about things like throwing the baseball at the beginning, or the guy behind the ticket counter. It seemed like the same thing would have happened either way regardless of what I chose. For those two examples, I chose to throw the baseball at the announcer and demanded the tickets.

In the scene with the tickets Booker gets the knife wound and bandage from Elizabeth. Not a huge difference but at least its something persistent.

Zeliard

how does one 'inject' SMAA? Not sure what the term means here, but I'd love details on it. I'm still trying to learn all the PC tricks, I loves me my PC.

I am sure you're right. The tech may not be #1, but the art direction is just mind blowingly good. It's one of the reasons I am so positive about this game so far, because the reason I most loved Bioshock was for its stunningly realized world of Rapture, and Columbia seems equal to the task.

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

You just download that and stick the d3d10 version in your Bioshock Win32 folder. Should automatically toggle if there aren't any conflicts.

If you don't want to mess with that you can just keep the in-game FXAA on and then downsample.

Downhome

Ok, really quick question...

Must I have played, and completed, the first two Bioshock games before playing this one or is it fine to dive directly into Infinite? I hate to even ask, I'm sure it has been covered, but I'm too worried about trying to read through the thread since I want to know very little about this one.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
In the scene with the tickets Booker gets the knife wound and bandage from Elizabeth. Not a huge difference but at least its something persistent.
i chose to draw my weapon and so my hand didn't got hurt. No bandage the whole game.

Top Bottom