• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Hylian7

In the scene with the tickets Booker gets the knife wound and bandage from Elizabeth. Not a huge difference but at least its something persistent.

And that was for pulling out the weapon? The same thing happened when I just demanded the tickets. That's not any different. :/

Amir0x

Banned
oh man that art direction

ohhhhhhhh man

Zeliard said:
http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

You just download that and stick the d3d10 version in your Bioshock Win32 folder. Should automatically toggle if there aren't any conflicts.

If you don't want to mess with that you can just keep the in-game FXAA on and then downsample.

Fucking amazing dude. Thanks a million.

DatDude

Banned
Man, i will never forget this moment. Beautiful game.

"Hallelujah" and the soft piano music playing will forever be etched in my heart. Had major goosebumps for a good part of the 1st 30 minutes.

Probably rivals the greatest intro for a game possible.

American exceptionalism? Keep out the hordes? Oh Google what were you thinking?

AllenWestShock_zpscb1cbd8b.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The bleached, ceramic whites enveloped in lush green vines, contrast on a dream-like blue sky with fluffy clouds, a subtle depth-of-field shimmering distant structures, instantly reminded me of Skyward Sword in the best way possible.

BraXzy

Am I the only one that
was kinda disappointed when the action started and they spotted your mark? I wanted to just explore and be a part of the world :(

DatDude

Banned
Ok, really quick question...

Must I have played, and completed, the first two Bioshock games before playing this one or is it fine to dive directly into Infinite? I hate to even ask, I'm sure it has been covered, but I'm too worried about trying to read through the thread since I want to know very little about this one.

you'll probably enjoy infinite more if you at least played Bioshock 1.

antitrop

how does one 'inject' SMAA? Not sure what the term means here, but I'd love details on it. I'm still trying to learn all the PC tricks, I loves me my PC.
Injecting is just slang for enabling anti-aliasing in post-processing through a third party program, usually something like Nvidia Inspector or SMAA Injector (SweetFX).

Andrew.

Banned
The bleached, ceramic whites enveloped in lush green vines, contrast on a dream-like blue sky with fluffy clouds, a subtle depth-of-field shimmering distant structures, instantly reminded me of Skyward Sword in the best way possible.

So Infinite does the sky civilization thing much better then? =P

NAPK1NS

No one is going to read this, but I need to detox my excitement with a little typing.

Ever since my uncle gave me Sonic and a Genesis, I've loved gaming. When I got older and discovered my knack for writing and love of film, I started to wonder what the deal was with video games. Here is a palette for true interactive narrative, yet most of the best efforts fizzled with the turn of the century.

Not that there haven't been good stories in games, there have, but the industry got so hung up on graphics this, and multiplayer that, the industry took a turn for the "fun." And I like fun, fun is nice. But when its the only target a game aims for, the narrative get's left on the road like a freshly hit deer.

Then I played BioShock. I loved and have continued to love this game across my seven playthroughs. It managed to harvest all the things I want from a game. Rich visual fidelity, sound design, and a multifaceted narrative that never assumes that because its a game it can't be great. Oh, and it was pretty damn fun, too.

I'm sick with excitement right now, knowing I get to see the next step of this kind of software. No matter how the game turns out, or what my ultimate takeaway is, I just want to express my appreciation for this company, and all their fine work over the years. Of all the top companies, you are the only one who assumed my matured vision of what games could be. Thanks for supporting this hobby of mine so soundly!

iMax

Seriously, don't unhide this if you aren't at the end.
On easy? welp. Use traps around the engine, use tears, and your new buddy. Take out the Patriot zeps asap.

Ah, I didn't even see
the engine
. That might be my problem. Thanks! :)

Hylian7

Am I the only one that
was kinda disappointed when the action started and they spotted your mark? I wanted to just explore and be a part of the world :(

Don't worry, you'll get more chances to just explore without the fighting always cropping up. This is NOT like BioShock 1 where everything immediately attacks you.

"Hallelujah" and the soft piano music playing will forever be etched in my heart. Had major goosebumps for a good part of the 1st 30 minutes.

Probably rivals the greatest intro for a game possible.

Without doubt one of the best I've seen. When she says that Hallelujah and everything goes quiet and Booker just goes "Whoa..." It almost brought a tear to my eye. So expertly crafted, I will certainly never forget it.

Andrew.

Banned
No one is going to read this, but I need to detox my excitement with a little typing.

Ever since my uncle gave me Sonic and a Genesis, I've loved gaming. When I got older and discovered my knack for writing and love of film, I started to wonder what the deal was with video games. Here is a palette for true interactive narrative, yet most of the best efforts fizzled with the turn of the century.

Not that there haven't been good stories in games, there have, but the industry got so hung up on graphics this, and multiplayer that, the industry took a turn for the "fun." And I like fun, fun is nice. But when its the only target a game aims for, the narrative get's left on the road like a freshly hit deer.

Then I played BioShock. I loved and have continued to love this game across my seven playthroughs. It managed to harvest all the things I want from a game. Rich visual fidelity, sound design, and a multifaceted narrative that never assumes that because its a game it can't be great. Oh, and it was pretty damn fun, too.

I'm sick with excitement right now, knowing I get to see the next step of this kind of software. No matter how the game turns out, or what my ultimate takeaway is, I just want to express my appreciation for this company, and all their fine work over the years. Of all the top companies, you are the only one who assumed my matured vision of what games could be. Thanks for supporting this hobby of mine so soundly!

*wipes away tear*

lets be buds.

I've always had a thing for big floating places in the sky. Flying fortresses, castles in the sky, floating cities. I find that shit fascinating, that mix of human ingenuity and the endless beautiful nature of the sky and it's clouds. This game seems tailor made to my taste in so many ways.

PS3 Move should have included an in-game sword.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

I think a lot has to be said for 2K as well for letting something like this happen, not a lot of publishers these days let these types of games happen knowing they might end up at a loss money wise. Massive props to both dev and publisher that may not eb the best selling game ever but once again creating a classic and a huge hit with gamers the world over.
We should erect a shrine of Ken Levine somewhere

FartOfWar

Banned

I'll pass word of your excitement along to the team.

Just played a couple of hours, so SPOILER-FREE quick impressions:

FANTASTIC atmosphere, seriously. Haunting ambient tracks, beautiful vistas blah blah blah. Unfortunately, bloom is rather harsh in places - almost Syndicate level. I was playing with everything on ultra except Shadows and DX11 diffusion DoF and it seems to run very smoothly - had around 60fps on average throughout (i5 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz, stock 570). It can stutter very briefly when moving from area to area, but nothing bothersome. 1999 mode is pretty much what the naysayers predicted - it's really just "insane" difficulty. I wouldn't say anyone should feel compelled to use it, even though I'm doing so myself. Mouse control is kinda borked on PC, so I'm hoping to tinker with it a bit before I resume playing. Enemies actually seem pretty well scripted - so far I've only faced what are mechanically Bioshock's generic melee/ranged splicers, but they appear to use overwatch, try to flush you out of cover and so forth. It's extremely linear, but there are a few side rooms and backtrack-able areas with hidden loot and such - perhaps it'll open up later on. So two hours in, it feels very solid overall.

I've always had a thing for big floating places in the sky. Flying fortresses, castles in the sky, floating cities. I find that shit fascinating, that mix of human ingenuity and the endless beautiful nature of the sky and it's clouds. This game seems tailor made to my taste in so many ways.

I usually have a fetish for forests and snowy mountains in games but man, it's hard not to eb captivated by Columbia. I dare say it's better than rapture. blasphemy of the highest order I know, but it's sooooo good

Zeliard

Makes for quite the effect when you violently decapitate someone with your Skyhook in such a setting.

DatDude

Banned
Just played a couple of hours, so SPOILER-FREE quick impressions:

FANTASTIC atmosphere, seriously. Haunting ambient tracks, beautiful vistas blah blah blah. Unfortunately, bloom is rather harsh in places - almost Syndicate level. I was playing with everything on ultra except Shadows and DX11 diffusion DoF and it seems to run very smoothly - had around 60fps on average throughout (i5 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz, stock 570). It can stutter very briefly when moving from area to area, but nothing bothersome. 1999 mode is pretty much what the naysayers predicted - it's really just "insane" difficulty. I wouldn't say anyone should feel compelled to use it, even though I'm doing so myself. Mouse control is kinda borked on PC, so I'm hoping to tinker with it a bit before I resume playing. Enemies actually seem pretty well scripted - so far I've only faced what are mechanically Bioshock's generic melee/ranged splicers, but they appear to use overwatch, try to flush you out of cover and so forth. It's extremely linear, but there are a few side rooms and backtrack-able areas with hidden loot and such - perhaps it'll open up later on. So two hours in, it feels very solid overall.

it does open open up later. your essentially in the welcome to rapture stage.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I wonder if we'll ever get a official explanation about the ending.

Ok, played for 3 hours.. for now very good impressions, the atmosphere is incredible, the sound design is top notch (I'm specially amazed by this) and the gunplay is very decent. Playing in 1999 mode, I've died around ¿ten times ? and had to restart a few times because I hadn't cash to respawn, but for now I'm enjoying it a lot and the combats are forcing me to be extremely cautious, fast and precise in order to survive. Playing in PC almost maxed, beautiful visuals but sometimes when the game is streaming dama the sttutering is noticeable.

Magnus

Mid-to-late game spoilers on enemies/areas!:

Alternate universe's patriots are Lincoln-bots! I sic'd a Liz-generated Washington patriot on him.

And then I laughed a hearty fucking laugh when I won.

Amir0x

Banned
Amazing post, Napkin. Isn't it great to be a gamer? Even if I end up disappointed in Infinite, I will still appreciate the journey. I love this hobby so much.

I would also recommend to you and others not to go into high-res screenshot threads or whatever. You really want to see this stuff for yourself the first time.

Oh trust me I'm avoiding that stuff like a plague. I want every area to be a near complete surprise, I know very little about the locations in this game.

Injecting is just slang for enabling anti-aliasing in post-processing through a third party program, usually something like Nvidia Inspector or SMAA Injector (SweetFX).

Ah, thanks. Does stuff like this mean a big performance hit? I think I can handle it now that I have my HD Radeon 7870 and shit though

Top Bottom