• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Derrick01

Banned
He's expecting an RPG in an FPS, yet again, though.

Hey I didn't fill the city with piles of loot and only provide 3 uses for it all. I prefer people to not dabble in RPG stuff unless they're going all out. It was one of my complaints about Bioshock 1 too.

Jopie

I went into this nearly 100% dark. The only detail I knew coming in was that the city was in the sky. It has been worth it so far. I am really enjoying exploring where I can, and finding little details everywhere.

I wish there was a "I don't want to fight right now, just explore the world" option.

Amir0x

Banned
I've obviously only literally scratched the surface of this game due to how slow I'm playing, but replaying the beginning made me notice more details.

Like during the Quartet,
"God Only Knows"
song, the sign says "The Music of Tomorrow, Today." Clever.

Ohwiseone

I apoglize for the slight spoiler in my post a few pages ago.

I am at work and thought I got the spoiler tags right. I didn't spoil anything big ( if you have seen the frist 3 minutes beforehand).

So, sorry if I pissed anyone off, never my intention. Take spoilers highly, and I went and fucked it all up.

Anyway, that Bioshock huh?

CronoShot

Just got the game on PS3, currently installing Bioshock 1 so I can get rid of my game disc. Taking forever though, so I probably should have waited till later. I'm eager to get started on Infinite.

Ithil

Got my game working! I thought this game had multiplayer? I can't find it as an option in the menu.

Maybe you're thinking of The Last of Us. BI has no multiplayer. Levine has implied they might have looked into it at one point in development and found nothing worth doing.

I'd actually not mind multiplayer as long as it was entirely a side thing given how fun the gunplay is.

Anno

Trying not to read this until I'm done with the game. Popped in only to say that I think it's absurd that Tomb Raider was marketed as "wanting to protect Lara" when character interaction like this is what makes me attached to a character and want to protect her. Jesus, why can't more developers be this aware of how to create a emotion and narrative?

Some of the arenas are so fucking tough. Any tips on taking down handy men? I'm using elevation but it feels like there's nothing in particular that slows them down. Crows and then a barrage of projectiles is about the best I can muster.

That makes sense, I guess. I'll buy it.

Also, is the music playing at the beginning of Beggar's Wharf when you're first dropped off at the docks
a cover of something? I can't quite tell since it doesn't have lyrics. It's a simple piano + a repeating drum hit, and it sounds a little too... hip-shakey for something from the 1900s. Just wondering if it's a more subtle anachronistic cover.

If you don't want to be spoiled don't read

The song is Girls Just Want To Have Fun, there's a reason you're hearing it. One of the Fink brothers can hear music from a tear in his house, this tear is to the year 1979 or shortly after, he was stealing songs from said time. He couldn't touch/manipulate the tear, but he could hear the music. He remade the music using what instruments they had at the time (1912) and created his rendition

The song is Girls Just Want To Have Fun, there's a reason you're hearing it. One of the Fink brothers can hear music from a tear in his house, this tear is to the year 1979 or shortly after, he was stealing songs from said time. He couldn't touch/manipulate the tear, but he could hear the music. He remade the music using what instruments they had at the time (1912) and created his rendition

One of my favorite parts of the entire game.

Zeliard

Hearing you guys talk about the beginning actually makes me feel a little bit jaded. It was nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to Bioshock 1. Bioshock stripped out all the things that video games don't *quite* get right, whereas this game has you walking up to lifeless NPCs who bark at you, then you move on. It felt really artificial. In execution, it didn't feel like a step forward from 2004's HL2, albeit much prettier.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I could see the duct tape and strings holding everything in place everywhere I looked, whereas with Bioshock 1, I didn't see any of that.

I don't know about the others, but when I'm talking about the intro I mean everything up until you get into Columbia. It's just sublime. The entrance into Columbia is quite something on a visual and audio level.

I had the same criticisms about the townspeople. Columbia can tend to feel like an amusement park as a result. It's a technical limitation but on some level it actually adds to the bizarre and inherently phony nature of the place, heh.

The song is Girls Just Want To Have Fun, there's a reason you're hearing it.

This is as far as I read, just fyi - although
I can already guess something's going on because the first two covers I noticed were a Beach Boys song and Girls Just Want To Have Fun. I'm talking about a different song ;) right after you first meet the Vox Populi leader, outside Fink's factory.

Ithil

Trying not to read this until I'm done with the game. Popped in only to say that I think it's absurd that Tomb Raider was marketed as "wanting to protect Lara" when character interaction like this is what makes me attached to a character and want to protect her. Jesus, why can't more developers be this aware of how to create a emotion and narrative?

Tomb Raider, while it's a fun action game (Uncharted clone, yes), has a complete disconnect between its story and its gameplay. It's really jarring and I can only assume it's a result of major shifts during the development (after the story was written).

BI does a vastly better job of integrating story and gameplay.

DigiMish

Anyone wish there was a "Talk to Elizabeth" button a la Prince of Persia 2008?

Didn't play the game yet, but I like that there isn't a button like that - otherwise I would have to constantly spam the TALK button over and over to see if there were any new bits of info after every checkpoint. Codec conversations in Revengeance come to mind.

Ithil

Anyone wish there was a "Talk to Elizabeth" button a la Prince of Persia 2008?

Sometimes, though I like that she tends to volunteer info based on what she sees. It's a new move forward for making AI companions more engaging, and definitely something to build on.

I can already guess something's going on because the first two covers I noticed were a Beach Boys song and Girls Just Want To Have Fun. I'm talking about a different song ;) right after you first meet the Vox Populi leader, outside Fink's factory.

Ah, well my spoiler still applies pretty much directly. Just keep playing, the reason you're hearing it will be revealed. In fact I'm pretty sure you're past the point where the game drops enough hints for you to piece it together for the most part. Between the Kinescopes and Elizabeth using her power and you seeing something in french. It becomes obvious after a while.

A quick question about some really early game spoilers:

Am I crazy or does it seem like the year 1977 is being indirectly referenced a lot in this game. For starters, before you take off for Columbia, the bell puzzle and the red sky and sounds that follow are straight out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which happened to be released in 1977. They also tell you not to pick the number 77 in the raffle at the beginning, which you do. I haven't gotten to this part yet, but I remember in preview footage, there's a scene where Elizabeth opens a rift and you see a movie theater marquee with Revenge of the Jedi in it. I think that's been changed, but the first Star Wars came out in 1977. I could just be reading too much into it, but the Close Encounters thing really stuck out for me.

Can anyone, without posting spoilers, tell me if I'm on to something or I'm just reading too much into it?

GavinGT

Banned

Is it this one?

Am I crazy or does it seem like the year 1977 is being indirectly referenced a lot in this game. For starters, before you take off for Columbia, the bell puzzle and the red sky and sounds that follow are straight out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which happened to be released in 1977. They also tell you not to pick the number 77 in the raffle at the beginning, which you do. I haven't gotten to this part yet, but I remember in preview footage, there's a scene where Elizabeth opens a rift and you see a movie theater marquee with Revenge of the Jedi in it. I think that's been changed, but the first Star Wars came out in 1977. I could just be reading too much into it, but the Close Encounters thing really stuck out for me.

Can anyone, without posting spoilers, tell me if I'm on to something or I'm just reading too much into it?

More signs point toward a 1983 connection. Return of the Jedi and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun both came out within about a month of each other in 1983 (in France).

Tomb Raider, while it's a fun action game (Uncharted clone, yes), has a complete disconnect between its story and its gameplay. It's really jarring and I can only assume it's a result of major shifts during the development (after the story was written).

BI does a vastly better job of integrating story and gameplay.

There are some disconnects in Infinite as well,
I got into someones house (optional explorable area) during one of those rail jump. You hear a witness describing a "Vox" to the policeman, I shot the policeman, killed the husband who was armed and then the wife was was unarmed (just to see what would happen) and the main character didn't say a word. It felt kinda off to me

Ah, well my spoiler still applies pretty much directly. Just keep playing, the reason you're hearing it will be revealed. In fact I'm pretty sure you're past the point where the game drops enough hints for you to piece it together for the most part. Between the Kinescopes and Elizabeth using her power and you seeing something in french. It becomes obvious after a while.

I'm not asking why it's there - I've pretty much pieced it together already. I'm asking if anyone knows if
this particular song is a cover, or if I'm just crazy

Tainted Love? dont click if not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWBWpyU9Mno

Nah, would recognize that one instantly! ;)

P.S please release a compilation soundtrack of all of these covers pretty please Irrational

Nah, it's a bit more mournful. All the workers on the dock bang their hammers/move their brushes in time to it.

It will all make sense soon enough ;) you're pretty well bang on the money

Dead

well not really...yet
3 hours and a half and just got past the part where
you get knifed in the hand in the ambush

Game is amazing on all levels. Atmosphere, design, worldview, its miraculous. Gunplay is also leagues ahead of the original bioshock.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Screen tearing can get pretty shite throughout certain parts of the game, even with VSync on Other than that the PS3 version runs great.

Dr Dogg

There's some very cool subtle aspects about the characters so far. Certain bit of dialogue for example but Elizabeth freaked out when passing through what looked like
a toy store and set off a toy Songbird which was squawking away.
Hope the game wasn't glitching out on me but she
looked like she was trembling.

Guess Who

Banned

Reading too much into it. Kind of.
1977 in particular isn't too significant.

Ithil

There are some disconnects in Infinite as well,
I got into someones house (optional explorable area) during one of those rail jump. You hear a witness describing a "Vox" to the policeman, I shot the policeman, killed the husband who was armed and then the wife was was unarmed (just to see what would happen) and the main character didn't say a word. It felt kinda off to me

That's fairly minor, though. It's fundamentally disconnected in Tomb Raider.

I'm not asking why it's there - I've pretty much pieced it together already. I'm asking if anyone knows if
this particular song is a cover, or if I'm just crazy

Ah my mistake, not sure I can't even remember the song.

There's some very cool subtle aspects about the characters so far. Certain bit of dialogue for example but Elizabeth freaked out when passing through what looked like
a toy store and set off a toy Songbird which was squawking away.
Hope the game wasn't glitching out on me but she
looked like she was trembling.

She's scared of Songbird, she says as much. It's not a glitch that she's trembling.

You're reading into 77 part a bit too much. The 70s and 80s are referenced though.

So,
I'm just at the point of obtaining weopons for the Vox from Chen Lin
and I want to clarify some of the main plot/narrative points up to this point. Can you guys help me out?

> Slate: war vet who hates Comstock due to bullshiz preaching/glorification of his pivotal roles in the nation's many defining battles (basically for being a false prophet in general); sides with the Vox Populi in the fight against Comstock

> Vox Populi: basically an anti-discrimination regime headed by Daisy Fitzroy; wants Comstock gone

> Elizabeth is Comstock's daughter, but not born from Lady Comstock (or is it the other way around?); Lady Comstock holes her up in the tower because she's a bastard child

> Columbia is super racist

> Booker had a lady in his life named Anna, who died in child birth along with the child (presumably)

> Someone as yet unidentified wants Elizabeth out of Columbia and has hired Booker to carry that out; rumblings of whether said employer had alerted Columbia to the whole operation and therefore has a hidden agenda

Thanks, guys. And as always, please take note of where I am in the game and be wary of spoilers!

Top Bottom