• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

FartOfWar

Banned
my god, this is the first game where I am actually getting motion sickness... just from being around some of the wildly moving floating buildings >_<

You should've seen what the floating section drift tech did when you were on them, let alone when on the barges and zeps. : )

Looks amazing on PS3. BioShock 1 & 2 look last-gen compared to this. Just been walking around looking at things for about 2 hours now.

Can only imagine how this looks on a high-end PC.

This is medium settings on my laptop

4B79D72187435029AC5BA4A6F5711CEB8F5CDC19

GavinGT

Banned
Damn, killed a guy that's supposed to drop a vigor, but he didn't drop it (although my guys still talks about it). Looked around for a bit then moved on thinking maybe it would pop up as a left the building. It didn't so I moved on with hope until I got to a vending machine where there was an upgrade for the vigor. Went back to check again still not there. And of course I can't load a checkpoint anymore to where the guy is alive so I can try and kill him again. Guess I'm done for now. I don't really want to start over. Shame, it's a pretty good game.

All (?) the vigors can be found in multiple places at different points in the game. Do you know which vigor it was?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Only a couple hours in but this game is already blowing away my lofty expectations. I'm staring at every little nook and cranny and they all ooze history and detail. The guns feel fantastic too. Really punchy.

BTW I did not enjoy starting on Hard. Those turrets ruined my day. Medium is much more fun to me for a first playthrough since I just want to explore and take everything in, although the regular enemies are pushovers.

angelfly

Didn't notice until I checked my my screenshot folder but I've taken a large amount of close ups of Elizabeth during various facial expressions. I can't keep my finger of F12 during those close ups.

I just started the game and I am trying to enter the "Blue Ribbon" when I press X to enter I just stand there with no control or option other than to A "leave" or B "cancel". What am I doing wrong here?

Amir0x

Banned
You should've seen what the floating section drift tech did when you were on them, let alone when on the barges and zeps. : )

I can't imagine. I didn't even think I was particularly prone to motion sickness except that one time I had to be drugged up with Dramamine on a whaling boat because the boat was like a crazy person the way it was swaying about. But sometimes I have to actually step away from the computer and take a break because I'm getting so sick lol

Anyway, I'm trying to put on my critics eye with this game but you guys really did a great job. So far, with little exception, it really is a splendid production.

glaurung

I think I just encountered a glitch when picking up the electricity vigor. Item does not seem to spawn.

And the Steam achievements were borked last night. Only now are some popping up. I should just restart on Hard, shouldn't I?

FartOfWar

Banned
My point was the AI barely uses any cover at all. It's similar to Borderlands.

Design choice for better or worse. In big environments cowering bots tend to vanish. They also set precedent for player stop and pop behavior, and combat here was never supposed to be about that.

GavinGT

Banned
I just started the game and I am trying to enter the "Blue Ribbon" when I press X to enter I just stand there with no control or option other than to A "leave" or B "cancel". What am I doing wrong here?

"Leave" means load the next section. Press A if you're done in the current area (sometimes you can't go back).

Dr Dogg

Elizabeth definitely needs a "Quiet you!" button or something. The last 3 Voxophones I have picked up she's talked over. No I don't care about your love of gardening I want to hear what this creepy lady had to say on this old record I've just found. Sheesh.

Ithil

I swear every 3 minutes I'm running into some new phenomenal looking room or view. It's like every room is an incredible painting. I'm thinking I've reached the middle portion of the game by now, I'm 5 hours in.

The Hall of Heroes was incredible looking, and I nearly went holy shit out loud when I saw the very first part of Columbia (the church type place with water everywhere). I an see exactly why this took so long to make.

It's like, you see a lot of indie games that look incredible thanks to art design, lots of point and click, or indie platformers, or whichever, but this is a big budget AAA type game that stands with the likes of Journey for endless incredible sights.

Lakitu

st5fu
Good god. I've played it for a solid 8 hours straight. It's been amazing so far and I can see myself replaying it much more in the future. Elizabeth is a great character. Not just in terms of her personality but what she adds in a gameplay sense.

I'm continuously floored by every location I visit. They are so detailed. My head hurts just thinking how much art they used and how they crafted each environment I've been too so far, so well.

I'm just curious, how far am I?
Just stormed into the factory with the Vox. It feels like I'm quite far in.

ViviOggi

BTW I did not enjoy starting on Hard. Those turrets ruined my day. Medium is much more fun to me for a first playthrough since I just want to explore and take everything in, although the regular enemies are pushovers.

The nice thing about 1999 mode is that it mechanically demands exploration and resource-gathering as opposed to just netting you more flashy ways to dispose of weak enemies. The first turrets are even more terrifying though.

FartOfWar

Banned
Damn, killed a guy that's supposed to drop a vigor, but he didn't drop it (although my guys still talks about it). Looked around for a bit then moved on thinking maybe it would pop up as a left the building. It didn't so I moved on with hope until I got to a vending machine where there was an upgrade for the vigor. Went back to check again still not there. And of course I can't load a checkpoint anymore to where the guy is alive so I can try and kill him again. Guess I'm done for now. I don't really want to start over. Shame, it's a pretty good game.

Sorry to hear that. You'll start finding that same vigor all over the world for what its worth.

So far this game is really fucking I don't know because I haven't even played it yet. I've literally been cleaning and rearranging my entertainment room all day -- I have this weird thing where when something is either out or about to come out that I'm super excited for, that the room has to be spotless or it'll drive me crazy. Kind of like inviting a hot girl over and having home anxiety.

...I'm getting there though. Soon.

I'm not even out of the tutorial carnival but I feel like the game is already giving me hints that something is amiss... and then there was the quote at the very beginning.
I love the comic relief with the two... handlers, or whatever they are.

PC players; are any of you playing with a 360 pad? I played the first two BioShock games on consoles and despite playing with M&KB so far, I'm considering picking up my 360 pad and seeing if that helps me with some of the fumbles I'm experiencing. First person games are usually M&KB only for me but is there a particular disadvantage to playing with a pad for this?

I'm PC and played the first 3 hours on a 360 pad.

+ walking around slowly through Columbia feels great and natural on the pad
- headshots matter, so KB+M is definitely better for accuracy

Amir0x

Banned
In the original Bioshock when you put on subtitles, didn't they have subtitles on the screen even when listening to audio diaries? Or am I remembering wrong?

Because in Infinite even with subtitles on there are no subtitles during the audio diaries, I have to go into the menu and read the text afterwards.

awesome, I hope the game sells millions of copies world wide. people should buy this game instead of shit like crysis 3 and tomb raider (copy cat game)

I enjoyed the hell out of both Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider, but Bioshock Infinite is, thus far, the better game. Still, definitely play the other two. Full disclosure: PC.

unreon

I have kept myself in the dark on this game ever since the first trailer, so I don't know a thing about it.

I loved Bioshock 1, but never touched Bioshock 2.

Can anyone tell me if Bioshock 3 will be understandable without playing Bioshock 2? I know Rapture is far away from the sky, but just wondering before I decide to force myself through Bioshock 2 before starting Infinity.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I just have to get it out how much this is still sticking with me. Just thinking back over what I've played I have to conclude that this is just the greatest feat ever pulled off in gaming in terms of everything coming together - and the soundtrack deserves a special mention.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Elizabeth definitely needs a "Quiet you!" button or something. The last 3 Voxophones I have picked up she's talked over. No I don't care about your love of gardening I want to hear what this creepy lady had to say on this old record I've just found. Sheesh.

Well you can always go to the menu and listen to it again.

So far this game is really fucking I don't know because I haven't even played it yet. I've literally been cleaning and rearranging my entertainment room all day -- I have this weird thing where when something is either out or about to come out that I'm super excited for, that the room has to be spotless or it'll drive me crazy. Kind of like inviting a hot girl over and having home anxiety.

...I'm getting there though. Soon.

I do the exact same thing. I spent all of yesterday evening cleaning while it pre-loaded.

This game is brilliant. I can't say enough about how my expectations have been exceeded in every way possible.

glaurung

Can anyone tell me if Bioshock 3 will be understandable without playing Bioshock 2? I know Rapture is far away from the sky, but just wondering before I decide to force myself through Bioshock 2 before starting Infinity.
Yes.

So far I have found zero connections between this one and Bioshock 2.

Yanksfan

I'm not even out of the tutorial carnival but I feel like the game is already giving me hints that something is amiss... and then there was the quote at the very beginning.
I love the comic relief with the two... handlers, or whatever they are.

Which quote? I haven't reached the carnival so perhaps it will be apparent by then, but I can think of a few potential memorable quotes from the beginning.

george_us

Does this game have super infrequent checkpoints or something? I got the
Bucking Bronco vigor, killed all of Slates men, plus got a few upgrades
and now that progress seems to have been erased. Kinda sucks.

Derrick01

Banned
As I keep playing I still can't really feel anything for this game. It sure as hell wants me to but I really think the linear nature of it and the lack of systems in this game hurt it. I love exploring the world but then I realize all I can find are health/magic restorers, ammo and money. I wish there was an inventory with a lot more things to use and find.

Top Bottom