• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Where do the Columbians get all this food from? Is there a floating orange orchard and pig farm? Will this question be answered at any point during the game? This is very important to my enjoyment of this product.

antitrop

As I keep playing I still can't really feel anything for this game. It sure as hell wants me to but I really think the linear nature of it and the lack of systems in this game hurt it. I love exploring the world but then I realize all I can find are health/magic restorers, ammo and money. I wish there was an inventory with a lot more things to use and find.

I can definitely understand that. I would not have been against a more RPG-focused direction. I would rather use experience points and levels to upgrade my abilities rather than cash at a vending machine.

Hey guys, anyone know what the day one update for Bioshock Infinite does? I can't download the update for the game and I get this error message when I try.

jBQus9ib3kzHn.bmp

Might just go ahead and try to play without the update and play offline, but not if the update included Bug Fixes or anything major of that sort.

FartOfWar

Banned
As I keep playing I still can't really feel anything for this game. It sure as hell wants me to but I really think the linear nature of it and the lack of systems in this game hurt it. I love exploring the world but then I realize all I can find are health/magic restorers, ammo and money. I wish there was an inventory with a lot more things to use and find.

It's cool. No one thought you would.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Combat in this game is super satisfying. Aiming down the scope of a rocket launcher at a distant enemy while zooming past them on the rails is just great. The more kineticism, the better. I'm hoping for even more rail combat as the game goes on. If anything, I feel like this game is too shy about its mechanics. Give me more tears! More rails! More hooks! More special enemies! Hell, more regular enemies! Granted, I'm only a little way into the level after HOH.

MormaPope

Banned

Nah, Far Cry 3 had an infinite duffel bag worth of stuff to get and upgrade, didn't help the game at all.

Also DAMN at this part very early on
when all the soldiers stop to listen to the father Comstock message you can blast all of them in the face, expected, but pretty damn harrowing and awesome.

If you pause the game and change the difficulty is it effective immediately?

I've been trying to get an answer for this and save related questions for days now...

Trying to sort this stuff out is my only issue with an otherwise fantastic game!

Which quote? I haven't reached the carnival so perhaps it will be apparent by then, but I can think of a few potential memorable quotes from the beginning.

The one about time travel and how one may create memories that did not exist.

Also, I had to change my mouse sensitivity slider in the game all the way down for what would feel more comfortable. This is with a SteelSeries Sensei RAW.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you pause the game and change the difficulty is it effective immediately?

I've been trying to get an answer for this and save related questions for days now...

Trying to sort this stuff out is my only issue with an otherwise fantastic game!
You can change on the fly, yes.

Dr Dogg

Well you can always go to the menu and listen to it again.

Yeah I've had to do that a few times. Kind of gets in the way of my flow of foraging letterboxes for coffee. The inhabitants of Colombia keep their possessions in the weirdest places. At least while on Rapture they had an excuse as it went a little pear shaped. I don't think putting your groceries away in cupboards was a top priority when some mad man with hooks for hands was clawing at your door.

netBuff

Hey guys, anyone know what the day one update for Bioshock Infinite does? I can't download the update for the game and I get this error message when I try.

jBQus9ib3kzHn.bmp

Might just go ahead and try to play without the update and play offline, but not if the update included Bug Fixes or anything major of that sort.

Try clearing the system cache - go to the Xbox Storage settings and press "Y" for Device Options.

Amir0x

Banned
replaying the beginning, this game has got to have one of the most arresting opening acts in game history. Spellbinding, really.

Trin

Sighhh, I tried to play earlier and only lasted about 20 minutes before the motion sickness was too much, even with the mouse sensitivity at the lowest setting. Ginger ale, anyone? :(

Try clearing the system cache - go to the Xbox Storage settings and press "Y" for Device Options.

I finally got the update to download and after downloading the update, I know get an error saying my Disc is unreadable... :/

When I uninstall the update it doesn't say that anymore... I might have to go return the game, that sucks.

EDIT: I can play with the update uninstalled, when I update the game I get an unreadable message.

Wait a second... early game/character motivation spoilers below.

So I get Shock Jockey, call the gondola, fight a ton of dudes, and then in the gondola on the way to the First Lady Elizabeth asks what I'm doing. Her and Booker have a conversation about what he's doing. He tells her explicitly that he's busting her out to wipe away his debt, and that he is not all sunshine and roses and trustworthy selfless dude.

Then... in the First Lady he sets the heading for New York. Elizabeth freaks out because it's not Paris. Booker's response is that he's in debt and was asked to bust her out. Wait, what? I'm just a little confused, it sounds like the conversation in the gondola was supposed to be him telling the truth and her accepting that the Paris thing was a ruse (something I would've expected her to figure out when it became clear we were hijacking the First Lady, not riding it, but hey).

If Booker had been lying and saying that the person who wants her is in Paris, this would have made a little more sense. But he doesn't, he simply states that they can go wherever Elizabeth wants. I would have figured that as soon as Booker revealed that he was essentially bounty hunting, she would have understood.

replaying the beginning, this game has got to have one of the most arresting opening acts in game history. Spellbinding, really.

indeed! Really amazing and breathtaking stuff...I am lost for words, it was just amazingly well done!
once I got on top of the lighthouse, I thought I would be abducted by a ship or something. It was very cool!

The sound!

the textures on the boat, the rain!!!

How do you feel about the AI, both enemies and Elizabeth?

GavinGT

Banned
Where do the Columbians get all this food from? Is there a floating orange orchard and pig farm? Will this question be answered at any point during the game? This is very important to my enjoyment of this product.

It's answered indirectly, yes.

Same way they got everything else

So I get Shock Jockey, call the gondola, fight a ton of dudes, and then in the gondola on the way to the First Lady Elizabeth asks what I'm doing. Her and Booker have a conversation about what he's doing. He tells her explicitly that he's busting her out to wipe away his debt, and that he is not all sunshine and roses and trustworthy selfless dude.

Then... in the First Lady he sets the heading for New York. Elizabeth freaks out because it's not Paris. Booker's response is that he's in debt and was asked to bust her out. Wait, what? I'm just a little confused, it sounds like the conversation in the gondola was supposed to be him telling the truth and her accepting that the Paris thing was a ruse (something I would've expected her to figure out when it became clear we were hijacking the First Lady, not riding it, but hey).

If Booker had been lying and saying that the person who wants her is in Paris, this would have made a little more sense. But he doesn't, he simply states that they can go wherever Elizabeth wants. I would have figured that as soon as Booker revealed that he was essentially bounty hunting, she would have understood.

She knows that he's busting her out to wipe away the debt, but not necessarily that he is to deliver her to someone. Maybe she just thinks that Booker's benefactor is paying to have her freed.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just a quick reminder: There is a scene after the credits, so don't skip it!

Amir0x

Banned
indeed! Really amazing and breathtaking stuff...I am lost for words, it was just amazingly well done!

It's so many little details piled on top of one another, hard to look away. And when that door swings open and you step out into Columbia proper for the first time, I know I actually had to catch my breath due to being awe inspired.

I spent a good 35 minutes just browsing around that first little area RIGHT around the initial statue lol

you guys brought back the crap in containers mechanic, i'm OCD'd in to looting everything. I've bound it to a key on my mouse so as soon as i kill i guy i can loot.

The game is fantastic looking on consoles, but I thought the holy gardens at the beginning were borderline hideous. So bloomy and blurry. Definitely the visual lowlight for me, with everything else being an unbridled highlight.

BraXzy

I noticed this too..
and then she suddenly freaks out the second time and you're like.. were you pissed when I mentioned last?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing you guys talk about the beginning actually makes me feel a little bit jaded. It was nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to Bioshock 1. Bioshock stripped out all the things that video games don't *quite* get right, whereas this game has you walking up to lifeless NPCs who bark at you, then you move on. It felt really artificial. In execution, it didn't feel like a step forward from 2004's HL2, albeit much prettier.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I could see the duct tape and strings holding everything in place everywhere I looked, whereas with Bioshock 1, I didn't see any of that.

game is amazing as all hell, but it doesn't run so great on the 360. Stuttering all over the place. Maybe it's my console, not sure. Still amazing though.

BraXzy

So before I do something wrong.. near the end of the game (I think)

I just opened the second tear around Comstock's house.. and then went near the vault and it opened and Lady Comstock is having a hissy fit.. Am I supposed to go in there or is there a tear elsewhere? I can't seem to get out of the place anyway :L

She knows that he's busting her out to wipe away the debt, but not necessarily that he is to deliver her to someone. Maybe she just thinks that Booker's benefactor is paying to have her freed.

That makes sense, I guess. I'll buy it.

Also, is the music playing at the beginning of Beggar's Wharf when you're first dropped off at the docks
a cover of something? I can't quite tell since it doesn't have lyrics. It's a simple piano + a repeating drum hit, and it sounds a little too... hip-shakey for something from the 1900s. Just wondering if it's a more subtle anachronistic cover.

MormaPope

Banned
game is amazing as all hell, but it doesn't run so great on the 360. Stuttering all over the place. Maybe it's my console, not sure. Still amazing though.

It's been very smooth and I'm playing the 360 version, not even running it with V-Sync off and there hasn't been that many hiccups or stuttering. Did you install Infinite or are you running it old school?

xenist

Managed to play a bit. Just finished the first gunfight sequence. I'm gonna like this game. Columbia looks magnificent. The game runs great on the highest settings. Even the gunplay seems improved.

Zeliard

I can definitely understand that. I would not have been against a more RPG-focused direction. I would rather use experience points and levels to upgrade my abilities rather than cash at a vending machine.

That's one of the cool things about 1999 mode - makes it a bit more RPG'ish by forcing you to seriously consider what you're gonna spend your money on.

Every item is amplified in importance in that mode. Have you been going around the levels thinking "what in the fuck is all this fruit and shit laying around for, my health bar is always full?" Well...

Top Bottom