• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Really love the world and its story, kinda wish the game wasn't a shooter. Feels like something that had to be there, rather than being integral to the story.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on that, and it's not like I dislike the gunplay, it's just that I love the interactivity of the story, but all the fighting creates a weird dissonance.

The first time you go on a murder rampage is pretty jarring but there is no way this game could be this game without the shooting. That said, it would be pretty cool if rather than having guns, the game would only have vigors, perhaps more ways to take out enemies without killing them.

Fuck this. I stopped about an hour ago because I was going to go bed. I see people talking about the end and I want to know what happens.

I'm off for three weeks. Why am I even contemplating bed? To the PC!

Dartastic

Remember when Nirolak posted that thread last year about people leaving Irrational and everybody panicked?

Yeah.

I told you fuckers you had nothing to worry about.

Infinite is easily one of the finest games this generation. Real talk.
I haven't played it yet, but this should have been obvious to anyone with taste and common sense. FUCK I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME TOMORROW.

Lingitiz

So I played the timed trial on PSN. Serious question here, is this game a corridor shooter? I've never played a Bioshock before and I could've sworn this series was more RPG-like.

It's very different from B1 and SS2. The game is pretty linear throughout but the combat sections are pretty open. There's no separated hub sections like in previous games. Its mostly well paced linear action sequences with alot of story.

It's a story driven arena shooter, most of the time. If it weren't for the story and the captivating environments to explore, it would be a relatively average shooter.
I don't know about that. The open sections with the rails are something I haven't really seen in other shooters in terms of player speed. The combat destroys the first game and is much more enjoyable than most FPS out there.

ironcreed

Banned
Ya, Metacritic is a really wonderful source for concise gaming criticism.

el6s6WK.jpg

Meh, not everyone can be a Duke. Some are just Dimwits.

Mr. F

Banned
How differently does the first 'choice' scenario play out between the two options?
I threw the ball at the raffle guy, but I imagine the alternative wouldn't be that different - maybe buying you a few more seconds before your hand gets noticed.

I haven't played it yet, but this should have been obvious to anyone with taste and common sense. FUCK I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME TOMORROW.

The problem is Nirolak added his 2 cents about even to him how it seemed troubled.
People put more weight to opinions of mods so panic mode all around.

But yeah, I mean Western devs turnover rate is insanely high so I didn't care all too much. Is when creative directors leave you can be worried.

Booker's interactions with Elizabeth are great, she's a wonderful character. Still, there is an eerie quality to playing as a silent character that I kind of miss. I guess the game isn't really going for creepiness though, so it makes sense.

Jofamo

I'm a little disappointed that there's no New Game+ option after completing the game. I thought Irrational Might have included it seeing as they did for the PS3 release of Bioshock. I'm itching to play through again, but having all my Infusions, Vigors and Weapon Upgrades to start off with would have been pretty sweet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So whats up with the Cindi Lauper music on the beach? The ambient kind of carnival music is a cover of "Girls just wanna have fun". Anyone else catch that?
It would have been a lot more mind-blowing if not for that God Only Knows performance at the beginning. That was crazy, and a big tip-off I guess.

Beach Boys by a barbershop quartet is so cool, though.

remz

Use fire so the bodies can not come back

I had a fridge logic moment with this boss after I gave up and notched the difficulty down so I could finish the game.

Late game:
I was fighting some random enemies in the bank after this using the devil vigor and I noticed the bodies burned after death.... lol. I can't believe I didn't think of it during the fight after all my zombie movie conditioning. I thought it was just bullshit balancing.

daveo42

Banned
Just made it
to the factory after Fitzroy kicked me off the ship and Elizabeth knocked me out.
Not sure how much more I have yet, but I've yet to
fight a Handy Boy
so there's that to look forward to.

Have almost no clue what's really going on yet plot-wise and I've completely fine with that. That just means the twist will just me that much more exciting when I get to it. Love the whole bit on
quantum mechanics and the possibility of tearing through the fabric of space-time, just not sure how it all works out in the game and it's setting. Also the wonderful reaction when Booker dies and gets revived is fantastic.

Ithil

I understand that, but homeboy was saying the openings weren't all that similar. Which is a wildly incorrect thing to say.

I meant they weren't really similar beyond a basic description of "lighthouse in the ocean, enter hidden city with propaganda voiceover/quotes". Their execution felt different once the rocket/bathosphere touched down (and that's the first five minutes, most people are counting the BI opening as about the first 45 minutes or hour).

Dartastic

The problem is Nirolak added his 2 cents about even to him how it seemed troubled.
People put more weight to opinions of mods so panic mode all around.

But yeah, I mean Western devs turnover rate is insanely high so I didn't care all too much. Is when creative directors leave you can be worried.
People should think for themselves more. I understand that prolonged development time can very easily signal troubled development. However, just like Ken said, "sometimes people leave." And with a) the pedigree of the studio b) the media that had been shown and c) the sky high expectations of the publisher due to the sales of the first Bioshock (aka if you are a publisher you should throw money and time at them, it's an intelligent investment) the "problem signs" were dumb. The new Tomb Raider went through some similar crap as well. Maybe less experienced people are able to have more of a say lately? I don't know. When you look back at it, the timetable wasn't that bad. The game's delay wasn't bad at all.

I have far more to say about this but I'm on my iPad and it sucks to type on this thing IMO.

Draper

I know I'm super early in still, just arrived on the beach, but roughly what percentage am at? I kinda just don't want this to end.

ironcreed

Banned
Playing this game on PS3 and I really don't think I've seen a game this ugly on consoles since 2006.

What the fuck is this shit?

It looks great most of the time, but certain things like book shelves or control panels look like they have no textures on them. I can forgive that, though, because the game on the whole is pretty damn special.

Guys, i gotta say, this is probably as close as we get to playing a "Pixar movie" this generation (on a PC connected to a HDTV)...rated R one but still........Dont know about consoles

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I've only gotten through the hour or so, and saved on the checkpoint after the first big fight. Wow. There were moments where I screwed up and thought, "oh crap, I'm going to die". Like literally, with nothing more than a silver of health. I ducked, ducked, killed, scrounged for health pickups, somehow I survived.

So far, so good. Still haven't seen Elizabeth yet...

It would have been a lot more mind-blowing if not for that God Only Knows performance at the beginning. That was crazy, and a big tip-off I guess.

Beach Boys by a barbershop quartet is so cool, though.

I honestly couldn't even tell what they were due to the arrangements. Is that a good thing?

BraXzy

Just finished it. Just.. wow. One of my favourite games of all times and one of the most amazing experiences I've had.

I want the DLC to release tomorrow, and then the next Bioshock the day after.

The ending was
a bit of a head screwer, still trying to figure it all out, it's late. But damn if that wasn't something else.

I was finding any reason I could to avoid finishing the game, it's like a good book, once you get into a world that's on another level of amazing you don't ever want to leave.

Ghost23

Optional quests question:
I got the key for the first optional chest, but I did not go back immediately. Will I be able to go back in the future?

LOVE the game so far, but I am worried that it is going to end too quickly, and I won't want to stop. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Now that I think about it, using the Beach Boys in the intro might not be as mind-blowing as I originally thought, since a lot of kids playing this don't know that stuff, ha.

B-Dex

I don't get the graphical complaints.... Game looks amazing on PS3. I haven't encountered any framerate problems either. The one thing that I noticed was the skybox. Sometime's it's painfully obvious that it is a flat painting.

Plasmid

Loving the game so far, the battles get somewhat claustrophobic though. Harder to tell where enemies are coming from. Overall i love it.

Ghost23

Bioshock Infinite |OT2|
Don't be a Dimwit and buy this game

I'm not too far into the game, so I wasn't sure whether to spoil tag it.

Eusis

Just so we're clear, this is a 2006 PS3 game:

This is Bioshock Infinite:
And that game also ran at 60 FPS as I recall, given that was Insomniac's goal for a long time. I think this may well be why FPS/resolution are being underestimated, a lot of people don't have an amazing eye for it (hell, so long as it was mostly 60 FPS I'd consider it a 60 FPS game, even if it had dips every now and then) but a game likely DOES look more impressive to people when it's sharp and runs smoothly. Metal Gear Rising looks better than 99% of modern console games to me as a result, despite the fact it's probably technically underwhelming.

Though the art direction in Bioshock Infinite is sure as hell more pleasing, and given I'm on PC with a reasonably modern setup it's just plain better looking period, that example's almost like trying to compare Ocarina of Time with Skyward Sword.

Let us all have a round of applause for Lighter than Air.

This coupled with that first image is seriously one of the best marriages of visual and audio I've seen in the gaming medium.
I really loved this too. The bells give this track a surreal quality that echoes what the player is feeling walking into Columbia.

Think I'm done playing for the moment; I need some sleep. Elizabeth has really grown on me and it really helps avoid the boredom I felt in Bioshock having her point me toward new areas to scavenge and the chatter here and there. I'm a bit disappointed she doesn't really pick up things in the environment that weren't already more scripted but without her this game would undoubtedly be a beautiful chore.

Just got to:
Finks? After getting kicked off the Airship. Hope Elizabeth isn't gone for too long.
And that game also ran at 60 FPS as I recall, given that was Insomniac's goal for a long time.
Actually I'm pretty sure its just 30fps.

Top Bottom