• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Syrinx

There are some pretty deliberate "battle arenas" in places, if that's what you're asking. When you walk up on a place that's entirely circled in skylines and has a bunch of objects for Elizabeth to phase in, it's obvious that a fight is about to go down.

I really do appreciate you answering the questions I have. Thanks a ton.

I think I'll hold off on this thread until I start playing for myself. Unless my will is weak, which it probably will be.

-Mikey-

I'm on my way to meeting Elizabeth. Maybe an hour in because of how slow I'm going. I've never been so on edge while playing a game set during the day. It's so vibrant, but I can't help but feel uneasy. At any moment it feels like something horrible will happen.

I love it.

Fjordson

This game is really good why are people down the rating of this game on meta critic people need to chill.
Metacritic user rating are totally worthless. There are always some legit reviews, but the majority is just 10/10 greatest game ever, or 0/10 worse game ever.

Helmholtz

I'm about 5 hours in now. Don't really see this game not being my GOTY. It's fantastic.
The stuttering as you enter areas is kind of annoying though, but not game breaking.

Mr. F

Banned
So whats up with the Cindi Lauper music on the beach? The ambient kind of carnival music is a cover of "Girls just wanna have fun". Anyone else catch that?

That, and the barbershop quartet singing "God Only Knows" were really nice touches. The sound design in general is pretty outstanding.

antitrop

This game is really good why are people down the rating of this game on meta critic people need to chill.

Ya, Metacritic is a really wonderful source for concise gaming criticism.

el6s6WK.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Man, sliding around on the skylines and going from platform to platform during heavy battles takes some real getting used to. It is just so damn different, but fun.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm about 5 hours in now. Don't really see this game not being my GOTY. It's fantastic.
The stuttering as you enter areas is kind of annoying though, but not game breaking.

My GOTY remains AntiChamber so far, but Bioshock Infinite is doing its thing. Definitely going in the top five of the year I'd say.

Exactly here:

Hahaha, nailed it. Good to hear though.

Yep, everyone felt it there. pacing hit a fucking wall and there isn't enough relevant narrative being said. Like the whole main story was forgotten for a few hours and then back into it. Don't give up ;) game gets awesome after right till the end

All this Cyndi Lauper talk means I'm going to be real disappointed if Time After Time doesn't play during the credits.

Welp, this should be in my mailbox tomorrow. Gonna be a long day at work.

Amir0x

Banned
I think I hooked on the "twist" early on with some observations I made in another thread about certain music in this game before Infinite released, and I definitely think I figured it out with the <OPENING AREA spoilers>
"The music of tomorrow, today" billboard
stuff. I'm super early but I think I got it already.

Remember when Nirolak posted that thread last year about people leaving Irrational and everybody panicked?

Yeah.

I told you fuckers you had nothing to worry about.

Infinite is easily one of the finest games this generation. Real talk.

The "debriefing" section
at the end, after the zeppelin battle
is utter poetry.

K.Sabot

Late game spoilers.

Lady Comstock on 1999 is fucking impossible, you can't do enough damage to her before the 900 undead with elephant guns shoot you down in less than a second. This is a terrible, terrible fight.

I think I hooked on the "twist" early on with some observations I made in another thread about certain music in this game before Infinite released, and I definitely think I figured it out with the <OPENING AREA spoilers>
Sounds like you have ;) Took me a while to realise it. but that's only a tiny piece lol. you're in for a shock
Late game spoilers.

Lady Comstock on 1999 is fucking impossible, you can't do enough damage to her before the 900 undead with elephant guns shoot you down in less than a second. This is a terrible, terrible fight.

Yikes you think THAT'S hard? wait till the last level.
tips for the fight
I used bucking bronco to fire at all the minions in a line to get them all in the air, then fireball them so they all die fast. Then wail on her with a gun

Remember when Nirolak posted that thread last year about people leaving Irrational and everybody panicked?

Yeah.

I told you fuckers you had nothing to worry about.

Infinite is easily one of the finest games this generation. Real talk.

The "debriefing" section
at the end, after the zeppelin battle
is utter poetry.
Save your post for the GAF backlash.

wwm0nkey

Late game spoilers.

Use fire so the bodies can not come back

You've got nothing. ;p

Just wait.

Save your post for the GAF backlash.

hahaha.

Columbia is soooooo awesome. I'm loving the game right now, it's been years since I played Bioshock all the way through, but I don't remember constantly being wowed like this. At
The Hall of Heroes
and it just keeps getting better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Columbia is soooooo awesome. I'm loving the game right now, it's been years since I played Bioshock all the way through, but I don't remember constantly being wowed like this. At The Hall of Heroes and it just keeps getting better.

Luckily I'm that far in at least but definitely spoiler some of the locales even. I'm pretty sensitive to some details like others are as well.

And yes, game is definitely getting better and better or at least keeping the high way up there. I'm impressed as hell with this.

NON SPOILERY PIC

The look of this game is something else. Especially as you get further in. Stunning art.

Lunar15

Really love the world and its story, kinda wish the game wasn't a shooter. Feels like something that had to be there, rather than being integral to the story.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on that, and it's not like I dislike the gunplay, it's just that I love the interactivity of the story, but all the fighting creates a weird dissonance.

Lingitiz

haha we'll see. There's really only two or three scenarios I can think of that fit with the clues I've found already so early in the game, so if none of those are it I'm really going to be weirded out lol

You're still pretty early in, but I had similar musings early on. The game does a build to the reveal way more than Bioshock 1 did. When it hits you'll think you're ready for it but you really aren't.

Zeliard

I'm still floored by the visual beauty of this game. Almost every frame makes for a striking image. As Cicero might put it, art assets out the ass.

Well I finished it and while I love it to death, and one of the best games of this generation Bioshock 1 for me is still the better game.

I'll do a more in depth write up later. Maybe I'll just edit this.

Yeef

Use fire so the bodies can not come back
Wish I had known that. I had tons of trouble with that fight and I was only playing on Hard. It didn't help that I was playing a berserker-style. Shotgun, Hand Cannon and lots of melee with tons of damage boosting apparel. Ultra-aggressive. Tons of fun.

Speaking of which, after finishing the game you unlock 1999 mode (without having to use a code), but I don't see an option for it. I assume it's when you start a new game, but I don't want to risk deleting all my checkpoint data until I know for sure.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So I played the timed trial on PSN. Serious question here, is this game a corridor shooter? I've never played a Bioshock before and I could've sworn this series was more RPG-like.

GavinGT

Banned
So I played the timed trial on PSN. Serious question here, is this game a corridor shooter? I've never played a Bioshock before and I could've sworn this series was more RPG-like.

It's a story driven arena shooter, most of the time. If it weren't for the story and the captivating environments to explore, it would be a relatively average shooter.

Top Bottom