• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Eusis

Actually I'm pretty sure its just 30fps.
I did some digging around and I swear I got the 60 FPS number on the first two Resistance games. Plus hitting 60 FPS was a big deal for Insomniac for a long time, though they gave in with modern trends after A Crack in Time was released, so I'm guessing Resistance 3 and FUSE are both 30.

EDIT: May have been wrong or misled by seeing that bit from Insomniac and it was only applying to R&C. I do seem to remember Resistance being more 30 FPS, but that was long enough ago that my memories may well be unreliable.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I did some digging around and I swear I got the 60 FPS number on the first two Resistance games. Plus hitting 60 FPS was a big deal for Insomniac for a long time, though they gave in with modern trends after A Crack in Time was released, so I'm guessing Resistance 3 and FUSE are both 30.
30fps.

Man what a game this is. The atmosphere is beautiful, the characters memorable (even the random people you meet, and I love the couple you run into when you flip the coin
(are the same couple that were rowing you on the boat?)
) and the sound track is amazing. I do like the combat as well but im not used to not using the right mouse button as not my aiming button :p.

I cant wait to play more of this game.

Eusis

Ah well, I do seem to recall it being fairly consistent without drops at least, not that I've downloaded and tried Bioshock Infinite on PS3 yet to see just how that runs. And I'd have to rush through that opening crap to get to real gameplay anyway.

LuuKyK

Wow, this game... I swear. Its almost taking the top spot from Uncharted 2 as the game of the gen for me. All this set pieces, the graphics... wow.

Guevara

Beginning (I guess I mean the first 3 hours) is so good.

For anyone still wondering PS3 version looks solid, I popped in Bioshock 1 yesterday and this looks much, much better. It helps that so much of the game is bright and beautiful vs. dark and dirty as in B1.

Wow you guys... This game.. This game is something special.

Red dead redemption is my game of the gen but if this game can end as good as it starts..

Thank you based Ken.

DatDude

Banned
It makes me wonder if Bioshock Infinite is as close to perfection in the video game medium we will ever get?

I mean there's flaws

-Padded out middle
-Some stupid design choices (no Manuel saving, no subtitles for the audio diaries, no weapon wheel)
-Performance issues at times

An perhaps a few more minor issues here and there...

BUT..honestly, everything is just so ACE in this game.

The music-Best use this generation, if not in all of video game history. The blend of classic period music, future pop done in a unique and cool way, and just beautiful and I mean FUCKING beautiful pieces by Mr. Sherman.

Sound Design-Again, this is what really separates Irrational from anyone else. The sounds..they will fucking resonate with me forever. From the hum and drones of the airships, to the haunting whale like sound of a big daddy in Bio1, Irrational just takes it to another level in general with there games.

Narrative-Honestly, and this might sound hyperbolic as fuck. But I think this is one of the most sophisticated narratives this generation. It deals with human issues of racism, and inequality that isn't hamfisted, or constantly trying to hammer it on your head OF "LOOK GAMERZ LOOK WHAT WE DID IN VIDEOGAME!!!"-No. It's handled with probably the most maturity in a video game today.

Also, I fucking loved the ending as well. It made me think in such a fashion that I have yet to do for a video game ending in a long ass time (certainty not this console generation)

Combat-What can I say. Can there be improvements? I guess..but it still shits all over bioshock 1, and just feels so much more "solid"..and just feels just so much more "right", I guess...All those sky rails are just so fun to use.

Voice Acting-Beautiful performances by Troy Baker, and Courtney Draper. Never too Broadway, never to "ugh, video games". Felt consistently right, and on the dot. An the side characters were voiced to perfection as well.

Atmosphere-Probably the only rival for Columbia is Rapture. That's it really. Saying it's simply beautiful doesn't really even tell the half of it.

Pacing-Constantly hooked..The middle, yet it's a bit padded and fetch quest-y..but damn does it pick up. The later half of the game rivals the beginning 30 minutes for me..honestly don't know what part was better.

Honestly, I could write down the list the things that Infinite did RIGHT, well, infinitely lol.

A few different, minor, design decisions here and there and I would really, honest to god, consider this game perfection for the video game medium. I know it sounds hyperbolic as fuck, and some of you might even be rolling your eyes.

But this is really how I feel.

Caode

I beat it in roughly the same amount of time as Bioshock 1. 13 Hours give or take.

I think... I need to lye down.

Yeah about 13 hours here too....the time really could vary either end of the scale depending on just how much time you spend in awe of the world, I did spend a fair bit taking in all the surroundings...but I know on my next playthrough I'll probably notice stuff I never did throughout the first....and add a few hours to that playtime.

Lingitiz

I heard someone say this game is simpler than Bioshock 1 which is simpler than System Shock 2. True?

Kind of an objective question.

Yeah it is. There's alot less exploration and much more combat and story moments. Systems are also pretty streamlined. Gear are basically perks, and the weapon and vigor sets are small. The combat is pretty fantastic though, and I had no problem with it being the center of the game because its so good.

Risette

A Good Citizen
And that game also ran at 60 FPS as I recall, given that was Insomniac's goal for a long time. I think this may well be why FPS/resolution are being underestimated, a lot of people don't have an amazing eye for it (hell, so long as it was mostly 60 FPS I'd consider it a 60 FPS game, even if it had dips every now and then) but a game likely DOES look more impressive to people when it's sharp and runs smoothly. Metal Gear Rising looks better than 99% of modern console games to me as a result, despite the fact it's probably technically underwhelming.

Though the art direction in Bioshock Infinite is sure as hell more pleasing, and given I'm on PC with a reasonably modern setup it's just plain better looking period, that example's almost like trying to compare Ocarina of Time with Skyward Sword.
Games that run at 60fps have a higher temporal resolution. It's not just a brain magic thing!

Dead

well not really...yet
Another little thing that I love in the game that I wish more FPS games did

Weapon being lowered when not in active combat. Its so nice to be able to walk around and marvel at the sights without having to constantly stare down your gun

Just stopped playing. Really want to savor this and I'm afraid I'll blow through the entire thing in one night if I'm not careful. Rough spoilers for where I'm at:
I just caught back up to Elizabeth at Fink's area after she ditched me on the airship. I love how her posture has changed and she crosses her arms and looks annoyed with you now. Great attention to detail.
I'm hoping I'm only a third through the game, going by how many voxophones I've picked up, but I may have missed some to put me closer to half.

At first I was annoyed at the combat, but I just came out of Dishonored which is a lot more about hiding, stealthy, and picking and choosing how to fight. Once I got into "Bioshock style" combat where you just go balls-to-the-wall fuck everything up, I started loving the combat like crazy. While Rapture was great as an atmospheric place, Columbia's free air setting allows for so much more mobility. Any combat area that gives me the option of using the skyline is just amazing. I'm spending all my time jumping on skylines, leaping off to whack enemies and then leaping right back on. I'm also really in love with the Vigors so far. Of the five I have so far, Devil's Kiss is the only one I'm not using regularly. I love switching it up, especially
using Murder of Crows with the dead enemies turn into nests upgrade. So much fun just creating a chain of Crow traps.

10/10 game so far. The only thing I don't like is the lack of being able to save at will, but that's not a deal breaker. Ugh, I just want to jump back in and play more, but I have to ration this out.

FartOfWar

Banned
Man what a game this is. The atmosphere is beautiful, the characters memorable (even the random people you meet, and I love the couple you run into when you flip the coin
(are the same couple that were rowing you on the boat?)
) and the sound track is amazing. I do like the combat as well but im not used to not using the right mouse button as not my aiming button :p.

I cant wait to play more of this game.

Remap those keys. I use mouse 3 for vigor, e for vigor swap/wheel. Mouse 2 for ads.

Replicant

So, the only FPS I played so far was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I normally suck at FPS and sometimes get headache from it. For some god-knows-why reason, I bought this (okay, it was for the Steelbook). Is this easy for a rare FPS player? Or should I just give the unopened game to my brother who's going to have his birthday soon? :/

VALIS

I heard someone say this game is simpler than Bioshock 1 which is simpler than System Shock 2. True?

Kind of an objective question.

Yeah. I'm still kind of early (4hrs in) but I'm starting to get a bit disappointed at how little "game" it is. Art design and direction like few others, but there's really not much game to it outside of the shooting sections here and there. Again, 4hrs. in. This could change.

So, the only FPS I played so far was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I normally suck at FPS and sometimes get headache from it. For some god-knows-why reason, I bought this (okay, it was for the Steelbook). Is this easy for a rare FPS player? Or should I just give the unopened game to my brother who's going to have his birthday soon? :/

Play it on easy and you should be fine. You really owe it to yourself to at least give it a try.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just play it on easy mode. The game is worth experiencing no matter what due to the world, atmosphere, story and characters.

LuuKyK

Im halfway in Im guessing and for now I specially loved
(besides the openning area) the theatrical set pieces that try to explain the war between the americans and the chinese (I cant remember their names now lol). The art style and the idea behind it is just too cool.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just got done with
Hall of Heroes
. Great atmosphere but it was basically a giant ass fetch quest. Not cool. Also just had my truly first frustrating moment of the game and that was the
big shootout before you get on the gondola to the Aerodrome
. Sponge enemies are never cool but this shit made me want to quit with how many times I was dying. After beating it, instead of playing more I decided to quit for the night since I was already irritated with the fetch quest beforehand and then having to backtrack all the way back is stupid.

LuuKyK

Just got done with
Hall of Heroes
. Great atmosphere but it was basically a giant ass fetch quest. Not cool. Also just had my truly first frustrating moment of the game and that was the
. Sponge enemies are never cool but this shit made me want to quit with how many times I was dying. After beating it, instead of playing more I decided to quit for the night since I was already irritated with the fetch quest beforehand and then having to backtrack all the way back is stupid.

Im not ashamed to say that Im playing the game on easy. I honestly couldnt care less for trophies/acomplishments or whatever they are called, in these games (FPS/TPS). I reserve them for RPGs/JRPGs. I think this way Im able to enjoy the game and actually care about the story and characters without getting frustrated with my innability to play them on higher difficulties. :p

Cheska

You guys certainly weren't kidding about how beautiful this game is! The only minor gripe I have about it is the fact that there are virtually no reflections. Anytime you look into a puddle of water, particularly in the beginning when the ceiling is perfectly reflected there is a clear absence of your own reflection..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My game saved in the Show area of Finkerton, and now when I go to walk back out to the Plaza, the game loads endlessly. PC version. Great. :(

MGrant

Just got done with
Hall of Heroes

I just got past that part, too. I actually really liked the
Hall of Heroes
, but the
fight before the Gondola
was indeed frustrating. I ended up at that fight without a sniper rifle, so I had to send wave after wave of crows and pistol rounds at the last rocket guy.

Top Bottom