• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Myaora

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I'm still in the early stages of the game, I just had a bit of a silly question. A long long time ago Irrational revealed the first gameplay demo of Bioshock Infinite

(Don't click if you're not looking to, possibly I really wouldn't know, get spoiled in anyway shape or form.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0fDEA0BFSM

I already know that the
murder of crows vigor is obtained elsewhere
. But I was still wondering if this section has made it into the final product. Thanks in advance guys.

Toki767

I seem to have hit a roadblock on my game. There is one enemy left in this section that I seem to have to kill, yet I can't find him. He's just somewhere off the map shouting insults. I tried restarting my checkpoint already and it happened again.

How to push the HUD off screen:

XGame.ini
Change:

[XCore.XScreenManager]
bUseDefaultSafeRect=true
SafeRectX0=0
SafeRectY0=0
SafeRectX1=1920
SafeRectY1=1200
MaxDefaultSafeRectAspectRatio=1

To:

[XCore.XScreenManager]
bUseDefaultSafeRect=false
SafeRectX0=0
SafeRectY0=0
SafeRectX1=3840
SafeRectY1=2400
MaxDefaultSafeRectAspectRatio=1

And thus the HUD elements were pushed off-screen.
(Aside from the crosshair but it's just a dot when the weapon is lowered.)

Credit goes to JonasBeckman on Guru3D. I'd set the values well beyond whatever you're actually playing at.

GavinGT

Banned
Hey guys,

I'm still in the early stages of the game, I just had a bit of a silly question. A long long time ago Irrational revealed the first gameplay demo of Bioshock Infinite

(Don't click if you're not looking to, possibly I really wouldn't know, get spoiled in anyway shape or form.)

I already know that the
. But I was still wondering if this section has made it into the final product. Thanks in advance guys.

Basically none of that made it into the game. A couple bits of environment were rejiggered and used in other areas of Columbia, and that's about it.

Hey guys,

I already know that the

I wish developers didn't take precious time out of development to produce such vertical slices that are basically game concept reels and make them come off as real gameplay on E3. Or at least label it correctly. Not only does it bring disappointment (Halo 2) or bring developers into a lot of trouble (Aliens Colonial Marines), but also give hope for games that were nowhere being anything (Prey 2).

GavinGT

Banned
I wish developers didn't take precious time out of development to produce such vertical slices that are basically game concept reels and make them come off as real gameplay on E3. Or at least label it correctly. Not only does it bring disappointment (Halo 2) or bring developers into a lot of trouble (Aliens Colonial Marines), but also give hope for games that were nowhere being anything (Prey 2).

Someone from Irrational said they essentially built five or six games and scrapped them before arriving at the final product, so creating a vertical slice trailer was the least of their problems.

lexi

Banned
So I'm about 5 hours in and just had
Elizabeth knock me out
. Playing on PC hard difficulty.

So far I'm enjoying it and the game is amazingly beautiful, but I'm not feeling the gameplay to the levels at which I feel I should be, based on how much love GAF is giving it. Is there something wrong with me, am I not doing it right?

Does anyone else have issue with the stuff you would get for purchasing the season pass? Is the extra buffs located in the game world, is it a pop up or does it surface later on in the game?(only three hours in)

Krabboss

I'm about an hour in and so far I like everything except the combat. Nothing wrong with the game, I'm just bored of first person shooters (and maybe single player games in general right now?). Still, really pretty and a great sense of style.

Story hasn't really kicked off for me yet so nothing interesting there, although I do like the two strangers you meet every now and then.

megalowho

Giant Bomb mentioned this in their QL, but I love the orchestral accents that hit whenever you do a melee kill. Loving the strings during combat in general, the way it stops abruptly but naturally when you clear a room - gives me some Arcanum or PT Anderson vibes at times. So refreshing in a sea of heavy percussion and guitar crunch combat themes.

Playing through the game again, and noticing all the hints Irrational put in, that make sense after watching the ending, is just so damn satisfying.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I wasn't a Bioshock 1 fan and never played Bioshock 2. Will I enjoy this? Reviews and impressions have me hyped.

ced

Playing through the game again, and noticing all the hints Irrational put in, that make sense after watching the ending, is just so damn satisfying.

If your like me and never replay, it was better to be spoiled ahead of time and be able to appreciate those things.

Get it now.

It's gaming at its finest form.

Plus, we must support Irrational with our dollar. Price drops usually bring no profit for the devs. I WANT MORE GAMES LIKE THIS!!! :(

An unfortunately if it doesn't sell, we won't see these games anymore.
Is it that much better than bioshock? I bought that game full price at launch, and completely regret it. I'd pay no more than 20 for a game like bioshock, while the visuals and atmosphere were top notch, the gameplay was not really up there.
I'm gonna buy this game eventually, but I don't know if it's worth the full price tag.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Last night I left off at
Hall of Heroes
. I'm less than halfway, right?

I've been at work all morning and I can't stop thinking about this world. It feels so rich and alive. I don't want to leave it too soon.

madmackem

Ok ok ok ok, just played the first hour fuck me, to channel Ryan O'Donnell its almost too good. Dat atmosphere, it just comes flying off your tv screen, the world the feeling everything is just way ahead of other games and brings me back to that first time i loaded up bioshock. The only little niggle i have so far is the gunplay and the lack of feedback while shooting. I just cant wait to dig in deeper.

vazel

Banned
This is the sort of game that sticks with you. Very few games do this kind of a cinematic experience this well; Red Dead Redemption is another game that does it right.

The whole
Finkton area - from Chen Li (or is it Li Chen? Hmm...) all the way up to the encounter with Daisy Fitzroy -
dragged quite a bit, if I'm to be completely honest. Is this the part of the game that the pacing complaints are referring to? Don't get me wrong, there were some awesome bits, such as the
Police Compound shootout
, but I really wasn't a fan of the locale/palette change-up, nor the pacing and story beats in general.

Also, I - as I imagine many others did, too - had pegged the
Handymen to more or less be Big Daddies in a lot of respects, but they pale in comparison in every way; encounters with them just haven't been fun thus. They're just giant, uninteresting bullet sponges.

Anyway,
I'm glad I'm back in "Classic Columbia" now after a bit of a lull. It all just looks so much better.

Acorn

Where is the pre order nemsis gear? I got everything but that and the lockpicks.

edit-Nevermind I just reloded the checkpoint and it appeared, weird

Riposte

I'm liking this game more (just reached Elizabeth). Still doesn't match the hype, but then what does? It is better than BioShock (1), but I'm going to say not by much (I know this is damning praise). Still hoping the combat can be turned around, particularly with enemies. Rails are a neat mechanic and controls alright, but I don't see the game using much the potential.

EDIT: Also while visually appealing and somewhat novel (certainly novel in execution), the themes are really laying it on thick. The game is pretty black and white with its characterization (is this a pun?). I recall a game journo (Sessler?) having some sort of revelation because he saw the "colored" bathrooms... I don't see how that would be stunning at this point in the game.

EDIT: Also I'm totally a Troy Barker fan.

Christ, I am so horrible at this game.

It's the first video game I've played in about a year-and-a-half, and I've never been particularly good at FPSes to begin with. I've died a bunch on medium difficulty and the game keeps reminding me that I can switch the difficulty at any time. It's kind of hilarious, actually.

But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Kind of. Sort of.

DSmalls84

I'm pretty sure I'm at the end of the game and should finish it tonight. So far this game has managed to exceed my ridiculously high expectations. I had yesterday off and this is the first time in a long time I have sat down and played a game for 10 hours straight. The story also manages to stay interesting the whole time. I'll probably give 1999 mode a whirl since I started on Hard and only had issues in a few areas.

Anyone else getting a bug where they can't move or look around after using a sky-line? Wouldn't mind so much if the game didn't have ridiculously spaced out checkpoints. Was really shocked when I saw there was no way to manually save.

I'm liking this game more (just reached Elizabeth). Still doesn't match the hype, but then what does? It is better than BioShock (1), but I'm going to say not by much (I know this is damning praise). Still hoping the combat can be turned around, particularly with enemies. Rails are a neat mechanic and controls alright, but I don't see the game using much the potential.

EDIT: Also while visually appealing and somewhat novel (certainly novel in execution), the themes are really laying it on thick. The game is pretty black and white with its characterization (is this a pun?). I recall a game journo (Sessler?) having some sort of revelation because he saw the "colored" bathrooms... I don't see how that would be stunning at this point in the game.

EDIT: Also I'm totally a Troy Barker fan.
Play it on hard, that's the only way the combat is good.

Wizman23

Banned
Took me 4 hours to get to Elizabeth. I don't think I'm going to be finishing anytime soon. Just trying to cover every square inch of this beautifully crafted world.

Random question: Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition, is that a "new" game like Batman: AA GOTY edition or is it the two originals which would let me finish off my achievements from them?

Top Bottom