• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Guess Who

Banned
Does this game have an equivalent of a Big Daddy? An iconic baddie with interesting AI?

Directly? No.

The way Ken explained it, the defining feature of the Big Daddy - to Irrational - was the whole protector/protected AI system they had set up with the Little Sisters, and in that sense, Elizabeth is the successor of that AI system, not an enemy.

Okay I'm 9 hours in and I feel like there is something major I'm missing right now and I'm dumb.

I can't change vigors at all? I can't change them through the select menu, and I can't through any of the vending machines. Just seems strange. Maybe I'll be able to soon? I don't know.

DatDude

Banned
Does this game have an equivalent of a Big Daddy? An iconic baddie with interesting AI?

I mean, I'm personally a fan of the motorized patriot :p

but i mean, in the iconic sense of the big daddy? not really.

If anything, like the poster above mentioned, liz is the new big daddy.

Directly? No.

The way Ken explained it, the defining feature of the Big Daddy - to Irrational - was the whole protector/protected AI system they had set up with the Little Sisters, and in that sense, Elizabeth is the successor of that AI system, not an enemy.

What about Songbird? Is it just a boss battle rather than mini-boss?

No one has mentioned these "boys of silence":
Bioshock-infinite-heavy-hitter-boys-of-silence.jpg

Which sections of the game are they in?

DatDude

Banned

there farther in the game. There not frequent at all.

An the songbird is more at series of events rather than a full on boss battle.

I have a question though, why don't you want to pick this game up for yourself? You seem quite curious about this game.

Guess Who

Banned

Songbird is not a boss and, in fact, is an ally during the final battle.

They appear
when you get ripped through a tear into a distant future in Comstock House where you failed to save Elizabeth and she is the ruler of Columbia.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I'm 9 hours in and I feel like there is something major I'm missing right now and I'm dumb.

I can't change vigors at all? I can't change them through the select menu, and I can't through any of the vending machines. Just seems strange. Maybe I'll be able to soon? I don't know.

Hold down the button you have assigned to swapping between your two vigors to bring up a "wheel" that lets you select from all of the ones you have.

Never having played any BioShock game before, and not really even knowing what it was about other than being a random FPS, the only thing I can say is holy shit. For the first half hour or so I still didn't even know what the hell was going on or what i was doing.

I'm not even sure I still do. Can definitely say that this is a unique FPS, wasn't really expecting anything like this, but then again how can you?

Songbird is not a boss and, in fact, is an ally during the final battle.

They appear
when you get ripped through a tear into a distant future in Comstock House where you failed to save Elizabeth and she is the ruler of Columbia.

Ah ok, thanks. And when do the Sirens appear?

there farther in the game. There not frequent at all.

An the songbird is more at series of events rather than a full on boss battle.

I have a question though, why don't you want to pick this game up for yourself? You seem quite curious about this game.

Just avoiding the hype period, and need to see whether my laptop can handle the game.

Riposte

Going to play more of this game today. I think the visual design is being pulled down by how bored I am by the combat and walking around. Only at the start, so I'm hoping it turns it around with more mechanics and better enemies. (Also too much bloom so far.)

EDIT: I think I have officially come to dislike picking up tiny coins scattered all over the place and clicking on boxes to loot them. See this is in Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls), etc. In a 3D environment it feels like I'm a fucking maid. I'm encouraged to do it because money is essentially my main power resource.

DatDude

Banned
There could have been.

So far it seems like they added shooting because they wanted the game to sell.

Da fuck. Your acting like it's some generic cod gameplay that was half assed.

It's really enjoyable, more so than bioshock 1, and that game had just as much combat in infinite.

ZeroRay

It's really enjoyable, more so than bioshock 1, and that game had just as much combat in infinite.

Again, I'm only 3 hours and 4 vigors in, but Bioshock 1 introduced its gameplay mechanics and combat a lot better than Infinite.

DatDude

Banned
Again, I'm only 3 hours and 4 vigors in, but Bioshock 1 introduced its gameplay mechanics and combat a lot better than Infinite.

1. When was the last time you played Bioshock?

2. It might have been INTRODUCED better..but to say the gameplay in Infinite is worse than Bioshock is just a fucking ignorant statement to make.

I mean you are allowed to have your own opinion, and I respect that (and if I'm coming off rude, I apologize), but it just boggles my brain how someone can say they that Bioshock 1 combat is better than Infinite.

Riposte

I don't think it is very good at the beginning at least. For example, I just lazily mowed down something like ten guys in a house who alternated between my flanks. Then a "fireman" came in, it was race to see how many times I could possess him/run away while shields recover and shoot.

EDIT: It is better than Bioshock 1, but it feels like I'm playing Fallout 3.

EDIT: I also don't why how Irrational spends more effort building a setting than anyone, but still make a linear FPS with minimal role-playing. I'm assuming no matter how you choose to throw the ball in the raffle, you get the same result?

Also I didn't notice it when I was playing but someone posted a screenshot of it later in my steam feed and I noticed that one of the latin phrases in the game isn't properly declined, which is kind of silly.

Cheska

I'm addicted to using the skyhook to take mofos down. Too bad it's been leading me to make some very dumb moves combat wise.

DatDude

Banned
I don't think it is very good at the beginning at least. For example, I just lazily mowed down something like ten guys in a house who alternated between my flanks. Then a "fireman" came in, it was race to see how many times I could possess him/run away while shields recover and shoot.

EDIT: It is better than Bioshock 1, but it feels like I'm playing Fallout 3.

EDIT: I also don't why how Irrational spends more effort building a setting than anyone, but still make a linear FPS with minimal role-playing. I'm assuming no matter how you choose to throw the ball in the raffle, you get the same result?

It does open up. You do realize you won't always be going down this 1 straight linear path for the whole game.

GODDAMMIT. The game doesn't want to load
the Bull Yard level.
It might have something to do with me turning off background loading. I Don't want to play through 12 minutes from my last autosave again.

FUCK, I'm so mad

Light spoiler-ish question:
Does Elizabeth ever change into the blue dress she wears in all the promotional art? I'm at Finkton Docks right now, she's still wearing the white dress.
Need this answered for some drawing I'm working on. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

SmithnCo

Does Elizabeth ever change into the blue dress she wears in all the promotional art? I'm at Finkton Docks right now, she's still wearing the white dress.
Need this answered for some drawing I'm working on. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

She does indeed.

yup she does

Finished the game about 1/2 hour ago and I'm still stunned. Spent the last 1/2 hour going through the spoilers thread and its now 4am. I think I'll be dreaming about the ending tonight...

Lingitiz

Yes she does.

edit- double beaten

Use Devil's kiss to burn the bodies so they don't come back.

Wow I really wished I knew this, those fights were terrible for me on hard, eventually I killed off ALL them enough times that they didn't come back. Was like getting a few every death and had no ammo besides what you respawn with :/ thank god it only costs like $30 to respawn

Since I finished the game I'm sticking to the spoiler thread, but I do have a question about the PC version.

There is a tooltip that pops up when equipping gears that says you can go into the "gameplay" menu and muck with them. Its not there. Is it incorrect info or what? I just went through the whole game figuring you had to replace the ones you had, which was a pain when you spam E to loot everything.

Since I finished the game I'm sticking to the spoiler thread, but I do have a question about the PC version.

There is a tooltip that pops up when equipping gears that says you can go into the "gameplay" menu and muck with them. Its not there. Is it incorrect info or what? I just went through the whole game figuring you had to replace the ones you had, which was a pain when you spam E to loot everything.

Press O to go into your menus and the 2nd one is gear, you can even swap them mid battle too lol

you liked the ending i'm guessing?

Was semispoiled about some parts of it going in (from this thread actually) but still loved it

Press O

Well the game is out now and reactions have been very positive, I've been following the game's development and it has intrigued me from the beginning now I'm wondering should I buy it now or wait for a price-drop what say you Gaf ? Ps. PS3 Version

Well the game is out now and reactions have been very positive, I've been following the game's development and has intrigued me from the beginning now I'm wondering should I buy it now or wait for a price-drop what say you Gaf ? PS. PS3 Version

Get it now, its worth the price, and you really don't want the story spoiled for you

Niwa

yup she does

Finished the game about 1/2 hour ago and I'm still stunned. Spent the last 1/2 hour going through the spoilers thread and its now 4am. I think I'll be dreaming about the ending tonight...

Just like me when I finished it yesterday, and I actually dreamt of it, haha.

DatDude

Banned
Well the game is out now and reactions have been very positive, I've been following the game's development and it has intrigued me from the beginning now I'm wondering should I buy it now or wait for a price-drop what say you Gaf ? Ps. PS3 Version

Get it now.

It's gaming at its finest form.

Plus, we must support Irrational with our dollar. Price drops usually bring no profit for the devs. I WANT MORE GAMES LIKE THIS!!! :(

An unfortunately if it doesn't sell, we won't see these games anymore.

Top Bottom