• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

She's good, I like her, but she's not some "revolutionary AI" that I'm gonna be talking about to everybody after the game is over.

Her AI is jarringly terrible (the teleporting), but she is a fantastic character that people will bring up in every "Best Female Character in Gaming" thread for the next several years.

I don't know if that's true or not, yet. I haven't even come close to finalizing my thoughts on this game (other than that I know it's one of the best games I've ever played) but you'll see it.

PK Gaming

oooh man

i haven't been keeping tabs on this game (damn shame, i'm embarrassed to call myself a gamer)

so gaf is it any good? i really want to try it out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Game is really quite impressive visually, but sometimes I bump into odd textures that make me laugh a little.

GI6FLui.jpg

I think this is a giant thing of dough.

antitrop

Game is really quite impressive visually, but sometimes I bump into odd textures that make me laugh a little.

http://i.imgur.com/GI6FLui.jpg[IMG]

I think this is a giant thing of dough.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wait that's an actual console texture?

Someone posted that over the weekend and I thought it was just a glitched UE3 texture that failed to stream in properly.

WOW

ironcreed

Banned

GI6FLui.jpg

I think this is a giant thing of dough.

Have not come across that... thing yet. I still say it looks like an asshole with a dirty ring. Nasty, lol.

Her AI is jarringly terrible (the teleporting), but she is a fantastic character that people will bring up in every "Best Female Character in Gaming" thread for the next several years.

I don't know if that's true or not, yet. I haven't even come close to finalizing my thoughts on this game (other than that I know it's one of the best games I've ever played) but you'll see it.
I hope so.
. but you did say the same thing about Tomb Raider a couple weeks ago, lol

antitrop

I hope so.
. but you did say the same thing about Tomb Raider a couple weeks ago, lol
And I don't disagree with myself.

Lara Croft is one of the best female characters that has ever been in a video game. I still like her better than Elizabeth, but I haven't finished this yet.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up the 360 version from Redbox, hope to get it started tonight after I get off work. I've been avoiding this thread but hopefully the console versions don't suffer too much from bad textures/framerates.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Elizabeth can be a bit mood swingy sometimes, and it can be distracting. For example, when she finds out (maybe 4 hours in or so spoiler)
that she's Comstock's daughter, she has this devastated look on her face and is like NO IT CANT BE a la star wars and then two seconds later I ask her to pick a lock and she jumps right into it.
Still got that uncomfortable split between narrative and gameplay that I wonder if we'll ever solve.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Getting crazy texture pop in, it can take up to 10 seconds for them to load in an the full geometry of some things.

f0rk

Elizabeth can be a bit mood swingy sometimes, and it can be distracting. For example, when she finds out (maybe 4 hours in or so spoiler)
that she's Comstock's daughter, she has this devastated look on her face and is like NO IT CANT BE a la star wars and then two seconds later I ask her to pick a lock and she jumps right into it.
Still got that uncomfortable split between narrative and gameplay that I wonder if we'll ever solve.

I can't remember it specifically but there was a moment where shit was going down and then Booker made some joke about "not right now I'm being shot at!" which I felt didn't fit the tone, and that was completely scripted.

So how do unlock that Industrial Revolution Reward pack in game? I put the code in Steam and it activated succesfully, but I have no extra cash, lockpicks or gears in my game? Does it only work when you start a new game or something?

Yeah, she actually threw me a coin in the middle of a narrative line of hers.

I don't know, like you intimated, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to solve that sort of thing without years and years (even more than this took) of development to smooth out every crease and probably four more generations of tech advancement.

NAPK1NS

I loved the part (early game spoilers)

In the Fink area. The music is playing with the metronome clicks every other beat. At first I thought that was a little odd. The more I looked around the more I realized everyone was working to the music. Such a subtle, disturbing moment.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it. Uhm... Gonna need some time to wrap my head around this. I can't stop thinking about it though, that's always a good thing.

The final fight is pretty damn hectic. Only failed once on normal, can't imagine what that bitch is like on hard. Patriots, gunships and guys all over the place. The core you need to protect gets drained pretty fast.

GavinGT

Banned
There was exactly one time where Elizabeth didn't verbally respond to my lockpick request
It was the very last lock you ask her to pick
. She just silently picked the lock and that totally fit the tone of the scene.

I loved the part (early game spoilers)

In the Fink area. The music is playing with the metronome clicks every other beat. At first I thought that was a little odd. The more I looked around the more I realized everyone was working to the music. Such a subtle, disturbing moment.

Then you try to possess a damn vending machine and every guard in the area attacks you. :(

So how do unlock that Industrial Revolution Reward pack in game? I put the code in Steam and it activated succesfully, but I have no extra cash, lockpicks or gears in my game? Does it only work when you start a new game or something?

You'll get the stuff shortly after your first shootout. The lockpicks you get once they're introduced

Megasoum

Banned
So quick question. I'm past the point in the game where you pick up your Industrial Revolution rewards and now I'm thinking about buying the season pass. Am I screwed for the Season Pass rewards (aka do you pick them up at the same point in the story) or you can just get them anywhere?

Reposting for new page. Anybody knows?

NekoFever

Digital Foundry's Face-Off is up for anyone who's been on the fence about which console version to buy: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bioshock-infinite-face-off

However, the console releases are still outstanding releases that come highly recommended. The shooting isn't as much fun when frame-rates are crashing down but most of the other elements that help make BioShock Infinite such an accomplished release are fully in effect. The more responsive PS3 game gets the nod for delivering a more consistent, flowing gameplay experience. The addition of tearing isn't particularly attractive, but the extra controller response is preferable during intense combat scenes. Alternatively, those especially susceptible to screen-tear may prefer the 360 version, despite it featuring heavier dips in performance in more demanding scenes.

awa64

Banned
So, uh... question on mechanics.

The five-lockpick safes. Should I be going out of my way to open them so I don't miss out on some cool stuff (no specifics, please), or are they just cash-boxes?

MGrant

So, uh... question on mechanics.

The five-lockpick safes. Should I be going out of my way to open them so I don't miss out on some cool stuff (no specifics, please), or are they just cash-boxes?

Every one I've opened so far has only contained cash.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For me the real innovation is that they took Alyx and incorporated her into the combat loop without ruffling too many feathers.

Yeah, I agree that's a good step forward, since Alyx mostly just handled herself. I do like that they've tried to give the illusion of you interacting with Elizabeth, even if it's really just contextual things. It works.

I guess I just feel that she's still very flawed in those inherently video gamey ways. Sometimes she says things, and then another, that seems totally disconnected from what's going on around you. Sometimes she opens up with transparent, scripted narrative exposition. Sometimes her facial animations spaz out a bit. Sometimes she teleports. And all of this amounts to the little bits and pieces not really adding up.

It's not like she's bad. She's useful, you can engage with her enough to make her seem valuable, she's animated well, has a lot of idle and contextual dialogue/animations, well acted, and is never a burden. I like her character and having her around.

But if someone told me Elizabeth was the reason to play BioShock Infinite, I'd be pretty damn disappointed. As said, she's a marginally souped up version of Alyx. Valve did most of what was going on here years ago. And it worked well there, too.

Spoiler question for right after you get Liz and one of her reactions to the environment:
How the hell do you get her to say the "delayed 3 times" joke in the arcade? I looked at every one of those damn puppet shows and it never happened!

Shady859

I'm damn near at the end and IIRC every safe has been $$$ usually higher lock pick doors contain gear upgrades or infusions so definitely open those doors.

antitrop

Digital Foundry doing that 720p YouTube comparison between PS3 and PC is so fucking disingenuous.

Are they trying to make console gamers feel better about themselves? Serious question.

They should just stick to comparing the two console version to each other. Their video actually makes it look slightly disappointing to be a PC gamer. If I watched that video and didn't already know what high-end PC graphics looked like, that video would make me feel comfortable sticking with consoles in 2013. But that's not the way it really is.

If they can't do it correctly, all I'm saying is that they shouldn't do it at all.

Good god, I played through the entire game without possessing vending machines or realizing that the firework barrels were meant to be shot at. Maybe playing it in one sitting throughout the late night and into early morning really got to me?

There was exactly one time where Elizabeth didn't verbally respond to my lockpick request
It was the very last lock you ask her to pick
. She just silently picked the lock and that totally fit the tone of the scene.

Then you try to possess a damn vending machine and every guard in the area attacks you. :(

I was a little worried that she was going to happily respond, "Did it!" when she opened that lock, but I'm so glad that she didn't say a word in that one moment.

Digital Foundry doing that 720p YouTube comparison between PS3 and PC is so fucking disingenuous.

Are they trying to make console gamers feel better about themselves? Serious question.

They should just stick to comparing the two console version to each other. Their video actually makes it look slightly disappointing to be a PC gamer. If I watched that video and didn't already know what high-end PC graphics looked like, that video would make me feel comfortable sticking with consoles in 2013. But that's not the way it really is.

Eh. What annoys me more is that they say "click the 720p HD option" even though 720p isn't HD.

Tech wizards should know this.

Badgerst3

It's been an... Adjustment coming directly from tomb raider.

Am I missing a toggle HUD off option? Loved the no HUD in tomb raider. Much more immersive.

Only 2 hous in but man, I go through salt for vigors faster than a fat guy at McDonald's.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I have a question about "side missions."

I've discovered two so far and I think I failed to pursue either of them in time.

What was I supposed to do with the
key I found in the crow dudes' headquarters?

Second, I need to find a
cipher for the vox populi graffiti. I'm in the Hall of Heroes now looking for Shock Jockey.
Did I miss my opportunity to complete this side mission?

What are the rewards for these?

Top Bottom