• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Melchiah

I just got the premium edition, and I'm going to join the party later on tonight.

QZqyN8H.jpg

I love the art book, but I curse my carelessness, as I accidentally deleted the soundtrack zip file from the desktop along with an old photo zip file, and it can only be downloaded once from the website (unlike from the PSN store, IIRC). I contacted the publisher, and hopefully they'll give me a chance to download it again. Trying to recover the trash bin data with Recuva, as I'm writing this.

Most op vigor
Is most definitely the upgraded charge vigor, 3 second invincibility, recharges shield, and a blast of damage to top it off. It also doesn't cost much so its spamable

This is what I ended up doing, with the gear that gives you a chance of gaining salt on enemy death it's totally spammable. For tonic based enemies you lift them with bull rush first then charge them to punt them out of the atmosphere.

Guevara

I preordered the PS3 version from Amazon (and received the game) but haven't gotten any of the preorder bonuses (the ebook and minigame). I can't decide if it's worth following up with Amazon for them.

Anyone else have this problem?

Viewtify

Banned
I was having a blast playing through this game on 1999 mode all the way up to
the ghost of Lady Comstock. What were they thinking with this fight? This shit is horribly designed. Why do you have to hide the whole entire fight until she comes to attack you? It takes all your ammo to get even close to killing her, and you are basically fucked if you run out of it. If you want more ammo you need to run around the graveyard to pick up weapons but it is a suicide mission because her fucking ghost minions kill you instantly and they respawn if you try and kill them. It feels like Im missing something and doing the fight wrong.

Chris R

So does "select chapter" screw with my main game progress? I want to show the opening level to my friends when they come over some time later this week, but not if I lose my current progress (where are my quicksave/quickload keybinds :< )

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question about the second optional mission:
I located the Vox code as I was heading to start the gondola after The Hall of Heroes. Looking for the cypher now. I don't want to know where it is, just if I have to backtrack or if I have to keep moving along the objective line.

So what's everybody's go to vigor combos? I spent the majority of the game doing crows + lightning, both maxed upgrades. The ability to make all enemy corupses killed by crows into crow's nests creates a never ending supply of crows and coupled with chain lightning makes for easy headshots. The last vigor you get was amazing in a pinch too. Kinda wished I used the charge and undertow ones more though

Quick question about the second optional mission:
I located the Vox code as I was heading to start the gondola after The Hall of Heroes. Looking for the cypher now. I don't want to know where it is, just if I have to backtrack or if I have to keep moving along the objective line.

its nearby, across the street inside a cannon statue

I have a question actually. Right at the start of the game at the fair there was a vending machine selling a power that was way too expensive at the time. I've since not seen the same power for sale at a vending machine again. Does it mean you have to backtrack to the fair if you want to buy it?

So does "select chapter" screw with my main game progress? I want to show the opening level to my friends when they come over some time later this week, but not if I lose my current progress (where are my quicksave/quickload keybinds :< )

I would also like to know this.

why can't I just have save slots?!?!

Viewtify

Banned
I have a question actually. Right at the start of the game at the fair there was a vending machine selling a power that was way too expensive at the time. I've since not seen the same power for sale at a vending machine again. Does it mean you have to backtrack to the fair if you want to buy it?

You will see it in up coming vending machines.

I was having a blast playing through this game on 1999 mode all the way up to
the ghost of Lady Comstock. What were they thinking with this fight? This shit is horribly designed. Why do you have to hide the whole entire fight until she comes to attack you? It takes all your ammo to get even close to killing her, and you are basically fucked if you run out of it. If you want more ammo you need to run around the graveyard to pick up weapons but it is a suicide mission because her fucking ghost minions kill you instantly and they respawn if you try and kill them. It feels like Im missing something and doing the fight wrong.

Had a ton of trouble with this fight too on hard, died a ton of times with no ammo but apparently
you can use fire to burn the bodies so they can't be ressurected
. I had no idea because I never used that vigor

bedlamite

Just completed it, good lord what an ending. We put up with a lot of bullshit in this industry (DLC shenanigans, unfulfilling COD-style gameplay, etc), but once in a while a game like this comes along and...wow.

Kudos to Ken Levine.

JLeack

Banned
Digital Foundry doing that 720p YouTube comparison between PS3 and PC is so fucking disingenuous.

Are they trying to make console gamers feel better about themselves? Serious question.

They should just stick to comparing the two console version to each other. Their video actually makes it look slightly disappointing to be a PC gamer. If I watched that video and didn't already know what high-end PC graphics looked like, that video would make me feel comfortable sticking with consoles in 2013. But that's not the way it really is.

If they can't do it correctly, all I'm saying is that they shouldn't do it at all.

This x 1000.

I'm running the game on High at 1080p and it looks nothing like the version shown in the video. It's something that only PS4 and better can accomplish.

GavinGT

Banned
Possessing the vending machines seems like a losing scenario to me, but I'm fairly early in the game so far (Battleship Bay). The Possession vigor uses so much salt that even after you collect the little bit of money the machine spits out, you end up losing money by having to buy salts to replenish the vigor. Also I haven't noticed much of a discount (nowhere near as much as the discounts offered from hacking in Bioshock 1/2).

It's usually in a non-combat area, and Elizabeth finds you more salt pretty quickly. Also, as you upgrade your salt capacity and your possession vigor, the salt cost becomes negligible.

FartOfWar

Banned
Okay I'm 9 hours in and I feel like there is something major I'm missing right now and I'm dumb.

I can't change vigors at all? I can't change them through the select menu, and I can't through any of the vending machines. Just seems strange. Maybe I'll be able to soon? I don't know.

Press and hold the vigor swap button

Viewtify

Banned
Had a ton of trouble with this fight too on hard, died a ton of times with no ammo but apparently

That would make this fight 100x easier. I'm gonna go try it out.

I'd love to know this, for the exact same reasons.

wwm0nkey

You can do 2 things.
light them on fire or shock them and then kill them when on fire or shocked and their bodies will be gone

The first side quest is unique in that you're plainly backtracking. Most of the other side quests start and end in the same general area, so you're not necessarily moving backwards to complete the quest so much as moving parallel.

That's good to know, I hope I'll have more time to play tonight.

RetroMG

Fourth. I want to show my wife the opening.

EDIT: Ok, like sixth? Seventh?

I haven't used Steam in a long ass time. Is it normal that I can see various builds of the game in the Beta list lol?

neuebitmap4wdgs.png

Just came across as very odd lol

So since finishing the game on hard, I kinda want to do another playthrough. Reading up on 1999 mode, it says all upgrades are permanent? So in hard mode I could have rolled back my upgrades? I didn't know this.

antitrop

I haven't used Steam in a long ass time. Is it normal that I can see various builds of the game in the Beta list lol?

http://www.abload.de/img/neuebitmap4wdgs.png[IMG]

Just came across as very odd lol[/QUOTE]

This one has way more than normal, but yes.

Check out some other games, too. There's some pretty funny build names.

anddo0

I hate the way they handle auto-saves. I got to what I thought was an auto-save spot, just had a big gun fight, followed by a cut-scene, and entered a new area.. Now you'd think that would be enough. But nope.. Save anywhere is cheap, and would probably hurt this game. However, they could've made the game save more frequently.

Megasoum

Banned

neuebitmap4wdgs.png

Just came across as very odd lol

This is normal practice on steam for QA and Press. You shouldn't have access to them tho. You can still see the list even if you can't switch branch. If you do then somebody at 2K didn't do his/her job.

Okey dokey, finally finished it. Played 1999 mode, took around 17-18hrs (would estimate about 16hrs on normal difficulty). Would give it a solid 7 or 8/10ish. Quick bullet points:

Sound design is excellent. My only quibble would be the repetitive combat music.

As I'm sure everyone knows, art and environmental design in many areas is absolutely flawless. There are caveats, though - the lower-class and/or industrial areas are by far the least interesting, and you'll be spending a lot of time there. There are plenty of interior locations that could be ripped straight out of Bioshock. Finally, the bloom is typical UE3 crap. Very harsh and gaudy. Think back to the VGA footage and nuclear meltdown jokes.

Writing is generally very strong. Not sure if it's any better or worse than Bioshock, just much more ambitious. I think people may be a bit deflated by the ending, but nobody's going to be burning down any houses. It's not as satisfying or emotional as TWD's conclusion, but nowhere near ME3 level or anything like that. Booker and Elizabeth are pretty memorable, everyone else is roughly on the level of Bioshock's supporting cast.

pewpew is pretty good, but then I didn't really have a problem with the shooting mechanics in Bioshock, so take as you will. The lack of enemy and miniboss variety grates a bit.

The rpg-lite elements are fairly pointless. You'll frequently go long sections without ammo for whatever favourite weapons you've been upgrading, so you may as well just roll with it. I doubt one player's "build" and playstyle would differ significantly from another's. That may well have been exacerbated by playing in 1999 mode though.

Elizabeth is a nice addition to non-combat gameplay. She fiddles with desks, lounges on chairs and points out the odd supply. However, once you've spent an hour or so with her, you've seen pretty much everything, and it's sad that considering how much the plot revolves around how exciting and dangerous her abilities are, she'll never actually do anything to surprise you in-game. In combat, she can be somewhat helpful but it's difficult to really plan strategies around her. She'll throw you health, mana and ammo when you're low, but whether you'll get what you want when you want it is another matter. There are set "tears" she can use to create respawnable allies, cover, skyhooks and supplies, but it's fairly restrictive. You're unlikely to be deviating much from what's expected. Mechanically speaking, she's just the hacking feature from Syndicate.

Basically semi-linear - essentially the "corridor/hub" system from Bioshock albeit with more setpiece events. You'll be spending a fair bit of time exploring siderooms for secrets and supplies.

1999 mode is garbage - there's really no justification for calling it by that name except for marketing purposes. It's simply an XTREME difficulty level, not something that can really change the way you play for the better (aka New Vegas Hardcore mode). The only point I'd put in its favour is that it certainly forces you to scavenge and take your time exploring everything. But I would've done that anyway, so all I got in the end was less incentive to try risky but interesting tactics during normal gameplay, and a significantly more frustrating experience during later miniboss fights, with the final battle being hair-pullingly awful and actually souring my memory of the whole experience. I would advise against anyone playing this mode for the "1999" part.

In terms of pacing, I'd say that the strongest sections of the game were the opening hours, and the first and final "hub" areas with Elizabeth. The "middle" hub and final hours of the game can drag a bit, and I've already mentioned the highly irritating final battle (really wish I'd played that on normal).

So there you are, hope that helps anyone who's on the fence. It's not going to kill you to wait a few months for the sale BUT it's going to be very difficult not to get spoiled by that point. I spent £25 on the game itself and another £15 on the season pass, and whilst it didn't blow my mind, I got my money's worth.

You can do 2 things.
light them on fire or shock them and then kill them when on fire or shocked and their bodies will be gone

Yea i resorted to
chain shocking them and headshotting while constantly dying and restarting until at some point the siren could not bring them back anymore. Gotta say the worst one was the bank fight, had no ammo, only a shotgun and no health (tho i didn't realize the dollar bill machine in the back...)

Karak

Lost a good chunk of walkthrough progress due to the savegame system. Damn. Still not something that will bother me much as the game is great so far.

antitrop

At the very least this game should have a Save On Exit and Delete on Load option. Temporary save state.

I don't know how they thought this save system was acceptable.

Stupid question of the day, how do I change gear, outside of finding new gear? I don't see any options, or any way to bring up a menu for it.

At the very least this game should have a Save On Exit and Delete on Load option. Temporary save state.

I don't know how they thought this save system was acceptable.

It seems like they were trying to bridge expectations of how shooter checkpoints work, with a system that features penalties for dying, and limited reloading. The end result is pretty hamfisted though. It gets the "Penalties for death right" but it really screws up the "Basic convenience of being able to save your game so you don't have to repeat actions when you go to bed" element.

I'd rather they just go fully "No reloading, this is your only savegame" and save your state everytime you say pick an item up. If it happens in combat, load the game like you just died.
The current system is fine for long stretches, but ifyou are just popping in for a bit of playtime, it's annoying as hell.

Shady859

So who is going to man up and try mission select to see if it screws with your save?

I will now my last save is at the very end and I beat it already, nothing to lose.

Edit: as soon as you select chapter to load it says: will replace your last auto save, proceed?

Proceeded to load shantytown chapter....

This becomes your new "continue" auto-save BUT if you go to load chapter you can load back your previously completely chapters.

I am past the raffle and let me just say this game is amazing so far. For once the reviews weren't lieing through their teeth, maybe a bit overhyped, but, unless the rest of the game is a horrible train wreck, I love it.

Nemesis_

So who is going to man up and try mission select to see if it screws with your save?

I don't understand what's the concern? If I play up to Chapter 2,the game will write my progress at that point as Chapter 2. So if I select Chapter 2 from the level select then I will be able to play from that exact point with the same upgrades and inventory.

If I quit out mid chapter 4 to play chapter 2, I will have to manually pick Chapter 4 and start from the beginning of that chapter.

Game seems to keep an overarching save for the purpose of collectibles, a set of chapter beginning saves and a current auto save one (which is the one loaded from the continue option in the menu)

AkuMifune

Banned
I wish I had the motivation to be creative with the Vigors, but (like Bioshock) I just find them kind of silly. Electric shock and hand cannon are all I've needed, I'm on Hard and have to be nearing the end. That's really my only complaint.

The other issues I have, narrative gripes and plot inconsistencies, are minor in the scheme of things, just kind of expected a bit more from Levine & Co. Still...an instant classic.

Okey dokey, finally finished it. Played 1999 mode, took around 17-18hrs (would estimate about 16hrs on normal difficulty). Would give it a solid 7 or 8/10ish. Quick bullet points:

Sound design is excellent. My only quibble would be the repetitive combat music.

As I'm sure everyone knows, art and environmental design in many areas is absolutely flawless. There are caveats, though - the lower-class and/or industrial areas are by far the least interesting, and you'll be spending a lot of time there. There are plenty of interior locations that could be ripped straight out of Bioshock. Finally, the bloom is typical UE3 crap. Very harsh and gaudy. Think back to the VGA footage and nuclear meltdown jokes.

Writing is generally very strong. Not sure if it's any better or worse than Bioshock, just much more ambitious. I think people may be a bit deflated by the ending, but nobody's going to be burning down any houses. It's not as satisfying or emotional as TWD's conclusion, but nowhere near ME3 level or anything like that. Booker and Elizabeth are pretty memorable, everyone else is roughly on the level of Bioshock's supporting cast.

pewpew is pretty good, but then I didn't really have a problem with the shooting mechanics in Bioshock, so take as you will. The lack of enemy and miniboss variety grates a bit.

The rpg-lite elements are fairly pointless. You're frequently go long sections without ammo for whatever favourite weapons you've been upgrading, so you may as well just roll with it. I doubt one player's "build" and playstyle would differ significantly from another's. That may well have been exacerbated by playing in 1999 mode though.

Elizabeth is a nice addition to non-combat gameplay. She fiddles with desks, lounges on chairs and points out the odd supply. However, once you've spent an hour or so with her, you've seen pretty much everything, and it's sad that considering how much the plot revolves around how exciting and dangerous her abilities are, she'll never actually do anything to surprise you in-game. In combat, she can be somewhat helpful but it's difficult to really plan strategies around her. She'll throw you health, mana and ammo when you're low, but whether you'll get what you want when you want it is another matter. There are set "tears" she can use to create respawnable allies, cover, skyhooks and supplies, but it's fairly restrictive. You're unlikely to be deviating much from what's expected. Mechanically speaking, she's just the hacking feature from Syndicate.

Basically semi-linear - essentially the "corridor/hub" system from Bioshock albeit with more setpiece events. You'll be spending a fair bit of time exploring siderooms for secrets and supplies.

1999 mode is garbage - there's really no justification for calling it by that name except for marketing purposes. It's simply an XTREME difficulty level, not something that can really change the way you play for the better (aka New Vegas Hardcore mode). The only point I'd put in its favour is that it certainly forces you to scavenge and take your time exploring everything. But I would've done that anyway, so all I got in the end was less incentive to try risky but interesting tactics during normal gameplay, and a significantly more frustrating experience during later miniboss fights, with the final battle being hair-pullingly awful and actually souring my memory of the whole experience. I would advise against anyone playing this mode for the "1999" part.

In terms of pacing, I'd say that the strongest sections of the game were the opening hours, and the first and final "hub" areas with Elizabeth. The "middle" hub and final hours of the game can drag a bit, and I've already mentioned the highly irritating final battle (really wish I'd played that on normal).

So there you are, hope that helps anyone who's on the fence. It's not going to kill you to wait a few months for the sale BUT it's going to be very difficult not to get spoiled by that point. I spent £25 on the game itself and another £15 on the season pass, and whilst it didn't blow my mind, I got my money's worth.

good write up.

Think I might skip a 1999 mode playthrough - even on hard there were a couple frustrating, unfun firefights. May just do a normal difficulty playthrough just to soak up the atmosphere and sense of place and blow through the combat.

Top Bottom