• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Spoiler question for right after you get Liz and one of her reactions to the environment:
How the hell do you get her to say the "delayed 3 times" joke in the arcade? I looked at every one of those damn puppet shows and it never happened!

I laughed so hard at that one last night, didn't know that joke was in the game. I have no idea how I triggered it, maybe because I activated the machine but apparently you did that. No idea.

antitrop

It's been an... Adjustment coming directly from tomb raider.

Am I missing a toggle HUD off option? Loved the no HUD in tomb raider. Much more immersive.

Only 2 hous in but man, I go through salt for vigors faster than a fat guy at McDonald's.
If you're playing on PC the INI settings to remove the HUD have been figured out this morning.

I agree with you about Tomb Raider, the way they handled that was phenomenal. I would like to see a grand evolution in HUDs next-generation. They break immersion and the cinematic experience, but they're necessary. Praise to the developers who figure out how to do them properly.

As far as FPS games go, I'm fine with the way Infinite handles it.

GavinGT

Banned
I have a question about "side missions."

I've discovered two so far and I think I failed to pursue either of them in time.

What was I supposed to do with the
key I found in the crow dudes' headquarters?

Second, I need to find a
cipher for the vox populi graffiti. I'm in the Hall of Heroes now looking for Shock Jockey.
Did I miss my opportunity to complete this side mission?

What are the rewards for these?

You were supposed to take the crow room key back to a house you visited earlier. The house with the skylight you can fall through.

It's not too late with the cipher. You need to ride the skyline back to the area containing the cipher. The code book is nearby and it's in a semi-tricky spot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I've discovered two so far and I think I failed to pursue either of them in time.

Second, I need to find a
cipher for the vox populi graffiti. I'm in the Hall of Heroes now looking for Shock Jockey.

The "side missions" are one of the glaring dumb bullshit design decisions of the game. They're all unanimously awful because they're nothing more than fetch quests that demand tedious, pointless backtracking.

So does the game get less linear after you meet up with Elizabeth? (Which is where I currently am.)

It's not a complaint or anything, since I'm actually fine with linearity as long as the narrative justifies it.

As someone new to the franchise, I'm just curious.

I haven't reached the second one but for the first you have to
backtrack all the way to the hooks. When you come from the opposite direction you'll realize there's a balcony on the other side and the doors are open. Explore the house and you'll find a chest where you can use the key.

Riposte

To the game's credit, I think encounters are slowly becoming better. I feel like I should be fixing mixes of those "sub" bosses already. I expect that to happen at the very end lol. Tears are another neat mechanic, we will see how these stack together. I'm also noticing that it is pretty tough to die with Elizabeth around to save you. Think I only died twice so far, way early in the game. (Hard difficulty.)

Anyone think this is a competent FPS with a pretty skin and nothing more?

EDIT: If you they wanted to make Elizabeth feel natural and realistic, they didn't think this "throw money (in the form of a single coin) at you with the same animation at least once every 30 minutes" mechanic through.

GavinGT

Banned

Second, I need to find a

You were supposed to take the crow room key back to a house you visited earlier. The house with the skylight you can fall through.

It's not too late with the cipher. You need to ride the skyline back to the area containing the cipher. The code book is nearby.

The reward is usually an infusion upgrade bottle, as well as other stuff like audio logs.

The "side missions" are one of the glaring dumb bullshit design decisions of the game. They're all unanimously awful because they're nothing more than fetch quests that demand tedious, pointless backtracking.

They would be fine if the levels were more like hubs. The biggest problem with these side objectives is that they aren't compatible with the rather straight-forward level design.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Major difference was Alyx was only with you maybe 25-30% of the game, and a lot of that was for scripted cutscenes, not regular gameplay.

I'm thinking more Episode 1 and Episode 2, where she was a passive companion for majority of the journey.

GavinGT

Banned
They would be fine if the levels were more like hubs. The biggest problem with these side objectives is that they aren't compatible with the rather straight-forward level design.

They were just another incentive not to blow through all the environments by critical-pathing everything. I only found them engaging because I was already so wrapped up in searching for loot.

I see it as an engrossing story and world with a competent FPS attached.

Surge

So now I'm trying to finish up Sleeping Dogs quickly so that I can focus all of my attention to this masterpiece.

I think I'm going into the last mission now.

They would be fine if the levels were more open. The biggest problem with these side objectives is that they aren't compatible with the rather straight-forward level design.

I actually missed the house you have to enter to do the first sidequest. I only saw the entrance when coming from the opposite direction. Didn't know you can also enter it by falling through the skylight. But yeah, if all the sidequests are just a matter of backtracking to a certain point that's disappointing.

EatChildren

Yeah I agree. They're very, very poorly conceived and badly implemented into what is really a strictly linear first person shooter. Infinite does not have Bio's style of level design, and thus this style of fetch questing is well and truly out of place.

Yeah I agree. They're very, very poorly conceived and badly implemented into what is really a strictly linear first person shooter. Infinite does not have Bio's style of level design, and thus this style of fetch questing is well and truly out of place.

Has the game gotten better for you or is it still dragging?

derExperte

Digital Foundry doing that 720p YouTube comparison between PS3 and PC is so fucking disingenuous.

Are they trying to make console gamers feel better about themselves? Serious question.

The second video is 1080p.

"The strength of the PC platform is the way in which you can run gameplay at any resolution you want. This makes all the difference to the quality of the presentation in this game, something we aim to demonstrate with an upscaled Xbox 360 vs. 1080p native res PC comparison."

EatChildren

Has the game gotten better for you or is it still dragging?

Yeah it picked up and the narrative got more interesting. Same issue I had with BioShock's narrative: it has these weird spikes where some silly scenario forces you to run an errand or go on a tangent mission involving plot threads that are less interesting than the main narrative. And you end up catching yourself thinking "Wait, where am I? What am I supposed to be doing?". The narrative picked up pretty quickly afterwards, thankfully, and got back on track with the interesting bits.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Holy shit at that end. I just sort of stared at my computer screen for like 10 minutes just thinking over what all the game made me feel. What a game.

antitrop

The second video is 1080p.

"The strength of the PC platform is the way in which you can run gameplay at any resolution you want. This makes all the difference to the quality of the presentation in this game, something we aim to demonstrate with an upscaled Xbox 360 vs. 1080p native res PC comparison."

Doesn't change my opinion one bit. It's still a terrible comparison.

You can't do a comparison video like that on YouTube. It's like posting Imgur JPEGs in the high-res screenshots thread.

GavinGT

Banned
The first side quest is unique in that you're plainly backtracking. Most of the other side quests start and end in the same general area, so you're not necessarily moving backwards to complete the quest so much as moving parallel.

Fletcher

I'm close to the end and I'm getting really bummed that we won't get another one of these for a good long while. This and the first Bioshock are such great games. Man.

Ahhhh shit why haven't I been possessing my vending machines!!!!

Makes it cheaper, right?

*PUNCHES WALL* DAMN IT!
™CJ Cregg

Free money every time. It might make things cheaper, too. I wouldn't know because I just possess all of them without even thinking.
xOeR3MD.gif

YOU CAN DO THAT!!? SERIOUSLY!!? Shit it never even occurred to me that I could do that! Gonna try this asap.

I'm most of the way through, and that's a massive and reductive underestimation of the game.

I think the FPS mechanics are much more than competent. Every large battle is a blast. The expansive levels make for great battlegrounds--the maneuvering on skyhooks, tactical use of tears, and switching up vigors for different situations makes each encounter dynamic, different, and exciting. Cool things I've done (spoilered to avoid ruining power and tear reveals):
-Yanked snipers with Undertow because I didn't have a long-range weapon
-Kited a Handyman around a tesla coil brought in via tear
-Get Motorized Patriots to fight one another with Possession
-Distracted enemies with tear-Mosquitoes while Skyhooking in to melee them
And a lot more. The experimentation and variation you can do already has me looking forward to a replay. If you're underwhelmed by the mechanics you're not using enough of the tools given to you.

The funny thing is, as fun as the fights are, I'm more enthralled by the world and the story. It's a lot more than a pretty skin. I think the pacing is fantastic and the world beautiful. I probably would have finished the game in one sitting yesterday if not for a particularly challenging encounter making me realize I needed sleep.

This is definitely one of the best games this generation and only a few minor things keep this from being perfect. But that's for another in-depth post once I finish it.

Coxswain

I really wish they'd done a better job with the checkpoints in this game. If you don't want to put up with the not-Vita-Chamber respawning mechanic and just reload your game when you die, it's not uncommon to find yourself flung back a good five minutes or more - and not five minutes of action or actual gameplay, but five minutes of "Lookit all that juice" style waiting around for the story to progress.
What's worse, it doesn't seem like it's possible to force the game to re-save a checkpoint by going back and forth across an elevator or something, so if you explore an area in the wrong 'order', you might have to run around collecting all the Gear and Infusions (and weapons and ammo and whatever money you want to bother scrounging for) every single time that you die.

For the most part I like the game and everything, but having to go through that just kills my enthusiasm every time I die, and dying more than two or three times usually means putting the game down for a few hours. Giving players the option to turn off Vita Chambers was part of Bioshock 1's earliest patches, so it's really baffling to me that they wouldn't be a little more mindful toward those players with the checkpoints, at least on 1999 Mode.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I agree that's it's a little inconsistent that game is fairly guided, but then the side mission is "find something unidentified with no hints at all." Is it a door, is it a locked box? I don't know.

I was perfectly content going in mostly a straight line while exploring every side room along the way. I don't really want to go literally everywhere I've already been to look for something vague.

It's not too late with the cipher. You need to ride the skyline back to the area containing the cipher. The code book is nearby.

The reward is usually an infusion upgrade bottle, as well as other stuff like audio logs.

Thanks for the tips. I figured it was too late for the first one. I'll try to get to the second one before I proceed.

On the general subject, this game is fantastic. I'm heavily swayed by production values and the sights and sounds are some next level shit. The combat feels good enough, certainly better than previous Bioshocks. I'm not a big FPS player though, so I'm not evaluating it in terms of AI or tactics. I'm just thinking the guns sound good and the enemies have just the right amount of health.

To the game's credit, I think encounters are slowly becoming better. I feel like I should be fixing mixes of those "sub" bosses already. I expect that to happen at the very end lol. Tears are another neat mechanic, we will see how these stack together. I'm also noticing that it is pretty tough to die with Elizabeth around to save you. Think I only died twice so far, way early in the game. (Hard difficulty.)

EDIT: If you they wanted to make Elizabeth feel natural and realistic, they didn't think this "throw money (in the form of a single coin) at you with the same animation at least once every 30 minutes" mechanic through.

There are places where you will die a lot unless you think on your feet and use all the resources available to you.

"Competent" is way underselling this game.

I possessed a few vending machines in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure it only gives you five silver eagles. Not worth it for losing half your salt.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What is this "once every 30 minutes" thing? Elizabeth throws pennies at me like every 4 minutes. Goddamn, get a purse. Or just pick one up. They're lying around EVERYWHERE. Why would I ever not want money? She should just deposit them directly into my wallet.

Doesn't the game make it very obvious that you're supposed to possess vending machines?

I can't remember.

I just watched a video playthrough of that tutorial part, and as I remember, you do use the vigor on a vending machine. I think the reason for the confusion is that said vending machine doesn't allow you to buy things from it since it merely opens a gate to progress in that part.

Doesn't the game make it very obvious that you're supposed to possess vending machines?

I can't remember.
I've only been possessing turrets and enemies, maybe I missed the bit about using it for personal gain. I had this weird glitch once where the tutorial/hint box just appeared for a fraction of a second and then disappeared, I actually had to replay the first Sky-Hook execution part twice, just to see how to pull off the move.

Zeliard

RE: The Handyman discussion from a few pages back -

Use movement to fuck up the Handyman, getting on rails to have him chasing you and off when he's about to shock it. That'll open up opportunities to shoot at his heart and get him in position to lay traps, using Undertow to pull him into traps if need be (best used with Shock Jockey for a stun).

Generally shoot him in the heart when available, particularly when he's stunned or distracted. He'll occasionally do stuff like cough which gives you an opening, or you can distract him with Murder of Crows. Vary your tactics appropriately based on what sort of stuff you've been upgrading and gearing up with, but good movement is generally the key against those guys. If you're largely sitting there trying to have a battle of attrition with him, it won't bode well.

I find those fights super-fun in 1999 mode. I've seen a lot of people liken them to Big Daddies but I think that comparison is wrong; they're more like a Big Sister, except the fights are far more movement-based on your end. The Big Daddies were memorable because of their melancholic and bizarrely affectionate demeanor in contrast to their appearance, but I never found them particularly interesting to fight, even in Bioshock 2.

This game's combat reminds me of Bulletstorm to an extent. Both are shooters which are extremely rewarding of player creativity, along with having hectic and movement-heavy combat.

Nemesis_

Regarding the "blue" Vigor:

I love it so much. I have a feeling that it will be less appreciated by the masses since it doesn't have many applications at first glance - but knocking people off buildings, drawing them towards you, coating someone in water to amplify shocking them

It's got an awesome but gross visual effect too, which is what I loved
seeing your hand with those gaping holes to look like an octopus tentacle
is just gross but great. :p

It also makes it incredibly easy to take out the
Handymen with it's secondary feature

Anson225

since we are talking about possession, is it possible to possess those heavy hitters? (washington, handyman) i just haven't tried on them

i simply find possession uses up too much salt but comes with too little benefit. i use
shock and crow
the most, how about u guys?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
since we are talking about possession, is it possible to possess those heavy hitters? (washington, handyman) i just haven't tried on them

i simply find possession uses up too much salt but comes with too little benefit. i use
shock and crow
the most, how about u guys?

You can possess
the Patriots but not the Handymen

Caode

I think I'm ready to begin playthrough 2 - just a casual playthrough....delve deeper in to the world and the surroundings, try and get all the voxophone's...really enjoyed listening to them..missed out on about 20 though, round up the rest of the trophies...then it's on to 1999 mode.

Most op vigor
Is most definitely the upgraded charge vigor, 3 second invincibility, recharges shield, and a blast of damage to top it off. It also doesn't cost much so its spamable

Free money every time. It might make things cheaper, too. I wouldn't know because I just possess all of them without even thinking.

I caught it a bit late. Thanks.

Possessing the vending machines seems like a losing scenario to me, but I'm fairly early in the game so far (Battleship Bay). The Possession vigor uses so much salt that even after you collect the little bit of money the machine spits out, you end up losing money by having to buy salts to replenish the vigor. Also I haven't noticed much of a discount (nowhere near as much as the discounts offered from hacking in Bioshock 1/2).

Zia

Elizabeth looks and sounds like my sister-in-law, so much so that I said her name aloud at one point when I wanted Elizabeth to come over and toss me Salt. Luckily, only my cats were in the room with me at the time to witness it.

Top Bottom