• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Dylan

I hate the way they handle auto-saves. I got to what I thought was an auto-save spot, just had a big gun fight, followed by a cut-scene, and entered a new area.. Now you'd think that would be enough. But nope.. Save anywhere is cheap, and would probably hurt this game. However, they could've made the game save more frequently.

I honestly had no problem with the save system until last night when I decided to get up and be social; instinctively brought up the menu to save, and realized I was boned.

At the very least, I wish they had come up with something similar to DS games, where you can save the game-state for a one-time-only reload.

Anyway, it's just one little complaint among a thousand things I really like about BI.

I don't understand what's the concern? If I play up to Chapter 2,the game will write my progress at that point as Chapter 2. So if I select Chapter 2 from the level select then I will be able to play from that exact point with the same upgrades and inventory.

If I quit out mid chapter 4 to play chapter 2, I will have to manually pick Chapter 4 and start from the beginning of that chapter.

Game seems to keep an overarching save for the purpose of collectibles, a set of chapter beginning saves and a current auto save one (which is the one loaded from the continue option in the menu)

Sounds about right. So yes, you will lose progress from the chapter you're currently playing. Best to do it at the start of a new chapter then.

I wish I had the motivation to be creative with the Vigors, but (like Bioshock) I just find them kind of silly. Electric shock and hand cannon are all I've=

I feel the exact opposite. All I needed was electric shock and fire to melt ice in the first Bioshock while with this one I'm using each one fairly evenly (partial to Murder of Crows myself).

Sullichin

I never found the door to open for the first optional objective, is it possible to go back later? I'm all the way by
the hall of heroes
now.

Also, couldn't you equip more than 2 guns at once in the other Bioshock games?
How big is this game on steam?

~17.3GB installed.

Also, as a fan of The Dark Tower, I was very happy to see that
The first tear Elizabeth opens when you're together, she brings back a rose
. I wonder if that was an intentional reference.

Salt first then shields. All Health on 1999 is not smart.
Definitely my experience so far. Your health goes so fast its best to judge when you need to back off into cover by the status of your shield.

I've held onto a Sniper Rifle for ages now as well. Almost all areas have had a higher route so far which allows you to carefully take out enemies coming in on rails and hit ground enemies with the Sniper Rifle. The game seems to gear items in trash cans/crates to whats in your inventory and between that and getting ammo at the Dollar Bill Vending Machine you can pretty much keep whatever you want.

Don't see myself moving away from Sniper Rifle (1 hit head shot on normal enemies) and Shotgun (occasionally 1-hit as well). Bucking Bronco is my #1 Vigor as well as you can use it many more times than most Vigors and even snipe close enemies while they are suspended.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Alright, fair enough. Maybe I'm just lucky that I figured out vending machine possession so early.

It doesn't sound that obvious.

It clicked for me really easily, because coming at it from the earlier Bioshocks I had the gameplay distilled to "gunplay, plasmids, hacking". Gunplay, obviously gonna come when it's ready. Plasmids = vigors, knew that. So when Possession comes and says 'possess machines!' I immediately went "hacking!" and possessed all the things.

On that front, I'm actually a little disappointed with the lack of a discrete hacking setup. I know Bio1's pipefitter game wasn't really the greatest but it was a change of pace. It feels like, if there were that sort of hacking available in Infinite, a lot of the combat scenes would've felt better if only for their variety.

DSmalls84

I thought I was the only one.
Lady Comstock figts 1 and 2 were brutal. I didnt use Devil's kiss or Shock Jockey. I basically had to spawn with whatever weapons I could find that held the most ammo and cheese my way through those fights. Poppping in and out of cover as my shield recharged.

Shady859

Lady Comstock figts 1 and 2 were brutal. I didnt use Devil's kiss or Shock Jockey. I basically had to spawn with whatever weapons I could find that held the most ammo and cheese my way through those fights. Poppping in and out of cover as my shield recharged.

I used those to get my individual gun achievements. ;)

I never found the door to open for the first optional objective, is it possible to go back later? I'm all the way by
the hall of heroes
now.

Also, couldn't you equip more than 2 guns at once in the other Bioshock games?

~17.3GB installed.

Eeeep. I was hoping it was around 6GB. Thanks.

What is the best AA method on an nvidia card. I know there's FXAA, but can you force anything through nvidia inspector?

Finised on hard last night Steam said I beat it in about 8 hours. It felt longer than that(in a good way). I explored a lot and still only found 2/3 of the Voxaphones. This and Dishonored are going down as my favorite single player first-person shooters of the generation.

Dylan

On finishing moves (or whatever they're called); I'm noticing that if I see the skull icon over an enemy I'll instinctively try for the finisher, but my success rate is about 50% (I guess because I'm not close enough).

By the time they are "executable" though, I figure it's probably safer to just spam the melee button as fast as I can to finish him off, since usually by that time another enemy is already firing in my direction and I need to keep moving. Not totally sure of why using the finishing move is beneficial. (I just finished the
Slate/Museum/Shock Jockey part

MNC

So does "select chapter" screw with my main game progress? I want to show the opening level to my friends when they come over some time later this week, but not if I lose my current progress (where are my quicksave/quickload keybinds :< )

I would also like to know this.

why can't I just have save slots?!?!

It fucks it up.

Your best bet is backing up saves, and even that gave me trouble:

I played up to the Murder of Crows vigor, about an hour in. I wanted to show the intro to someone, so I backed savefiles up and restarted the game from scratch. Got up to the raffle, and placed my saves back. They did not load, and I kept getting loaded at the raffle.

There are actually multiple saves in the save folder; one of them called after-moc-fight (or something) and I figured, that's probably Murder of Crows, which was my original save, and a few other points.

The new playthrough that erased my was called raffle, and that one was being loaded all the time. So I just renamed my moc-fight to raffle, and it loaded my moc-fight save instead. Now, I just played for a few hours, so I hope it created some new new savefiles and it will load that instead...

In short: It's not worth the hassle. Hope they implement quicksaves or multiple savefiles, or show a youtube video. The savefiles, in combination with Steam Cloud, make it all pretty scary to fiddle with.

Muffdraul

After playing the Xbox 360 version last night for a few hours, up to the point where
you get the Shock Jockey vigor,
I want to say that so far it's everything I've dreamed it would be for the last three years or so. I weep tears of gold.

Now, what I really want to say is that all of the bally-hoo about the 360 version having "sub-par textures, even for a 360 game" is, thankfully, a big load of bullshit. As far as 360 games go, it looks fantastic. It compares with games like Gears 3 and Halo 4 in virtually the same way that Bioshock 1 compared with Gears 1 and Halo 3. i.e. Like any 360 game, including Halo 4, if you go looking for blurry textures you're gonna find them. Some textures are not meant to be viewed up close.

Bottom line, it looks fucking great. No shit it doesn't look anywhere nearly as pretty as the PC version running on a beefy rig. Who needs to read a review to know that???

Zeliard

It's pretty interesting the stuff in the game you might otherwise never know about if you play in 1999, like skull icons triggering a finisher. A lot of that stuff is outright disabled.

When does the soundtrack release? I want both the original compositions and period-licensed music from this game. Some of those tunes man...Old-timey goodness.

The first one was pretty easy for me, mainly because there were medkits you could get and plently of cover, it was the 2nd and 3rd that were a pain in the ass for me

Muffdraul

Alright, fair enough. Maybe I'm just lucky that I figured out vending machine possession so early.

It doesn't sound that obvious.

Right after I got the Possession vigor I used it to progress to the next area, and then I immediately thought "D'oh, I should have used it on that vending machine back there!" So I reloaded my save and it kicked me all the way back to when I first entered the fair. Had to re-do all of the mini-games etc. All for a few measly coins. Not happy they got rid of quicksave, I've always enjoyed abusing it and do not apologize for it.

FartOfWar

Banned
Possessing the vending machines seems like a losing scenario to me, but I'm fairly early in the game so far (Battleship Bay). The Possession vigor uses so much salt that even after you collect the little bit of money the machine spits out, you end up losing money by having to buy salts to replenish the vigor. Also I haven't noticed much of a discount (nowhere near as much as the discounts offered from hacking in Bioshock 1/2).

If you spec salt capacity and upgrade that vigor it practically becomes free.

sooo did anyone else realize using Charge with the gear piece that makes it heal you on a kill is the most overpowered vigor? made the game so easy

Just finished. Wow, so good!

Still have to rate it below the original but all in all one of the most solid games you're ever likely to play.

Loved the end so much.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Elizabeth figuring out that
Booker was going to take advantage of her and trade her in was pretty hokey. She realizes the coordinates are not correct for Paris, and immediately starts poor cry-acting before he even finishes the sentence...then whacks him with a wrench. Then who knows what happens, we wake up with UNDESIREABLES in our airship, and Elizabeth is running around fulfilling her damsel in distress quotient for this part of the game. She is beside herself and won't speak to you. But then she decides to anyway and partners up with you again because she wants to go to Paris, which is understandable...unfortunately, her trust seems so easily built and broken that she seems to be a very unintelligent artificial intelligence...perhaps naive despite knowing all too well that people have it out for her.
The game goes back to using pre-recorded phrases after this event that are incongruous with the new relationship, like, "Booker, catch!" or, upon death, "Booker, breathe! Breathe!"

I think that's weak.

One thing I'll say, I was playing through the game on hard and found myself dying a bunch and it sort of took away from the whole experience. Some of the bigger fights became tedious.

In a way, when I play through this sort of game I'm there for the experience and plot moreso than a challenge. So I wish I had of played through on normal mode.

Anyway, I was on PC as my 360 copy didn't turn up on time and I couldn't wait. I will play through on normal on 360. I hope to take in even more of the world. Which I did do quite a lot anyway. But this time, I just fancy a more relaxed run through.

Muffdraul

One thing I'll say, I was playing through the game on hard and found myself dying a bunch and it sort of took away from the whole experience. Some of the bigger fights became tedious.

In a way, when I play through this sort of game I'm there for the experience and plot moreso than a challenge. So I wish I had of played through on normal mode.

Anyway, I was on PC as my 360 copy didn't turn up on time and I couldn't wait. I will play through on normal on 360. I hope to take in even more of the world. Which I did do quite a lot anyway. But this time, I just fancy a more relaxed run through.

Yesterday I was hemming and hawing over whether to play on Medium or Hard, and I saw a few posts like yours, people saying they regretted playing on Hard because it often went from fun to annoying. I'm playing on Medium. Feels fine so far. Never frustrating or annoying, but not a cakewalk either.

sqwarlock

I made the switch to medium a couple of hours into the game after starting off on hard. I like that enemies go down easier, but it seems like the AI isn't as aggressive either. I wouldn't mind a balance between the two difficulties where the enemies will try and flank you and force you into cover, but still go down in fewer hits.

Either way, I'll probably stick to medium for my first playthrough as it's a little more forgiving while I experiment with the combat system.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I regret starting this game off on hard. I am dying... a lot, and it's costing me a lot of money.

Drop it down. I started on Hard and died a ton. Dropped down to Medium and haven't died since. Way more fun to take in the world, although regular enemies are too easy. I wish there was a difficulty between Medium and Hard.

Hard gets a little stupid when you get to the second act. Or least, select encounters gets annoying real quick.

It's still fun when you get to tailor your strategy around the enemies you're facing, but some of these encounters start out with just a bunch of dudes rushing in from multiple directions and you don't have a lot of time to familiarize yourself with the room.

There's one gauntlet where I got myself into a situation where there was 3 threats that effectively sealed off the encounter, and I basically had to die again and again to bum rush one side of the room to get more space.

Those are few and far between so that was fine.

Top Bottom