• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Uthred

It wasn't meant to be the main theme, and least I don't think it was.

The game never had a secret agenda about how they think racism is bad. It was more to show "just how the way things were in the year of 1912, America."

I think it was also meant to paint this more realistic painting as well. There this image, at least for Americans I think, that once upon a time America was like Disney Land Main Street USA...beautiful blue skies, kids could walk anywhere in the street without worry about criminals, and all this crap.

Instead Levine, tried to paint the real America of 1912. An they did that in subtle ways like the 2 bathrooms. One being all fuck up and nasty, and the other shining like gold.

I think they went too far with it, its ends up being a cartoonish caricature. It doesnt feel realistic in the least, for a start the view they present is too one-dimensional and too rooted in modern day attitudes towars racism and religious extremism.

K.Sabot

What is the best way to
deal with handymen? These bruisers seem nearly invincible to everything I have when I first meet them.

If you have a rail, ride it until he jumps on it and electrifies it. Jump off, shoot him in the heart a couple of times while waiting for the rail to de-electrify and repeat.

use crows to temp stun him.

Derrick01

Banned
Given that Ken Levine designed System Shock 2, whose levels were far less linear then infinite, I'd say he knows how to do it.

That was a loooong time ago now. Warren Spector did Deus Ex 1 too. Of course they know how to make these games, but sometimes you get older and just want to make Mickey Mouse games or focus on story in a video game 100% of the way.

I think they went too far with it, its ends up being a cartoonish caricature. It doesnt feel realistic in the least, for a start the view they present is too one-dimensional and too rooted in modern day attitudes towars racism and religious extremism.

I think JF is by far the worst caricature in any of the 3 Bioshock games. Characters like Ryan and Comstock at least had very forceful, almost magnetic personalities that helped magnify their their antagonistic roles. F is rather too Dickensian.

Tacitus_

Did you make the Bulletstorm comparison before I did? It really does remind me of the game, heh. Surprised I haven't seen the two compared more often.

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for this, but Bulletstorm was way more enjoyable as a game for me (of course Infinite has way better design/story).

BraXzy

One thing I was let down on in the game, after finishing it and being reminded, was how different earlier versions were in terms of gameplay.

If you look at early footage, tears and sky rails are a much bigger part of the game than they are now. The tears were all quite samey, make me a metal panel to cover behind here, make a box of health packs there. In early footage there are more interesting uses such as doors and moving objects.

Then there is the sky rails. In this they were kinda cool, and you use them to get about in some spots. But in the early footage, you see massive areas filled with them like a theme park.

Everything else, especially story, was brilliant. Just wanted some stuff a little more fleshed out.

K.Sabot

Yeah, character writing was too on the nose.

I couldn't relate at all to any of the characters like I could to Ryan.

Also the science of the story is too nebulous for a long time.

I'm probably going to catch a lot of flak for this, but Bulletstorm was way more enjoyable as a game for me (of course Infinite has way better design/story).

I think they're both good games for different reasons, but yeah I had more of a blast with the general pewpew'ing in Bulletstorm (for the most part). Bulletstorm with more open battleground and skyrails would be pretty sweet.

antitrop

I understand what you mean completely. That's why I said since Bulletstorm. It's my second pick for most underrated game after everyone already knows what.

Facism

i've got an issue. Everytime the game autosaves, i get a read/write error and the game says it failed to autosave. Despite this message, it has actually saved, but it's proper breaking me out of the game everytime it minimises for me to click the bloody prompt. I've got ample space on the HDD.

Gandie

So I just restarted the application to continue the game, but the Continue Game button is greyed out. What happened? Where's my progress gone?

Steam is now telling me it can't sync to the cloud. What?

Edit: Oh thank Ken, it's back.

Tacitus_

I think they're both good games for different reasons, but yeah I had more of a blast with the general pewpew'ing in Bulletstorm (for the most part). Bulletstorm with more open battleground and skyrails would be pretty sweet.

Oh yeah, Infinite was a fine game. Just not this mindblowing gameplay experience of a generation that people were hyping it as. More skyrail integration for verticality, Elizabeth being better in combat and more meaningful weapons would've pushed this a lot higher for me.

One thing I was let down on in the game, after finishing it and being reminded, was how different earlier versions were in terms of gameplay.

If you look at early footage, tears and sky rails are a much bigger part of the game than they are now. The tears were all quite samey, make me a metal panel to cover behind here, make a box of health packs there. In early footage there are more interesting uses such as doors and moving objects.

Then there is the sky rails. In this they were kinda cool, and you use them to get about in some spots. But in the early footage, you see massive areas filled with them like a theme park.

Everything else, especially story, was brilliant. Just wanted some stuff a little more fleshed out.

Matches my feelings on both counts. I'm not going to say "ludo-narrative-you-know-what" but tears felt a bit mundane as an actual mechanic. The skyrails would've been nice but frankly I'd already assumed that was mostly smoke and mirrors.

Just makes me wish even more for the big-budget open-world RPG version of Bioshock that will never exist :(

AngryMoth

How come I never have enough money to buy vigor upgrades? I explore and grab as much as I can find but every time I find a new vending machine the prices are higher and I can't afford anything.

About a third into the game and enjoying it. Gameplay feels kind of incidental to the story which is the truly compelling aspect of the game but hopefully they can change my mind on this as I progress further.

Ohwiseone

So, I'm walking around the
arcade
and I went to look at something and I heard a line that Elizabeth said that was along the lines off
look it's the newest in the series, it was delayed 3. Times.

I have to wonder if that joke was in vein of the development of infinite or not. Made me laugh

Also
Girls just wanna have fun, carnival style
made me laugh as well.

arcade
and I went to look at something and I heard a line that Elizabeth said that was along the lines off

I have to wonder if that joke was in vein of the development of infinite or not. Made me laugh

Also
Girls just wanna have fun, carnival style
made me laugh as well.

Sadly this moment did not trigger for me :(

BraXzy

Having a look on eBay, I really wish I had the money to afford the Songbird edition and the sky hook replica. Both things would be incredible to own and display.

How long do people think the DLC's will take to release?

arcade

It had to have been. I thought that immediately.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't doubt that Ken Levine could still design a game world like that of SS2. But that's probably not what drives him these days. He wants to raise the bar for videogame storytelling. A linear game world makes this objective more attainable for a number of reasons.

Guevara

I'm still early in the game but hacking turrets
isn't permanent? Is there no way later in the game to make it permanent? The first tonic Possession seems to last only for about a minute and then I'll be blindsided by my former ally

DatDude

Banned
So I'm nearly finished an I have to say that I liked Rapture way better.

The way the music was structured in Bioshock is way better than in Infinite. A lot of the time the original score will be playing while some random source of music is also playing, which ends up being a jumbled mess.

The period of Rapture made for more interesting characters that I cared about, despite having the walking expositional character right beside me this time around.

The gunplay feels better, but I don't find myself using plasmids as much this time around because I can't stock mana potions. I hate to use 2 powers and then have to run around looking for a blue potion.

Give your thoughts when finished the ending and don't skip the credits since there's stuff afterwards.

The ending alone shits a big part on Bioshock.

Also, listen back to the music.

The music has so much foreshadowing towards the end it's incredible.

For example Girls Just Want to have. Look at the lyrics of that song, and just realize the context of that moment.

It blew my mind.

GavinGT

Banned
isn't permanent? Is there no way later in the game to make it permanent? The first tonic Possession seems to last only for about a minute and then I'll be blindsided by my former ally

Turrets always revert. You can get an upgrade that extends the possession time, I want to say. Also, when the possession wears off a normal soldier they'll suicide.

Guevara

Turrets always revert. You can get an upgrade that extends the possession time, I want to say. Also, when normal soldiers are done being possessed they kill themselves.

That's a shame. I loved returning to old areas in B1 and seeing my green-lit turrets and security cameras still working.

f0rk

This annoyed me, generally if you are going to do it it's best to at the start of the fight so all the other dudes kill it for you.

SmithnCo

Turrets always revert. You can get an upgrade that extends the possession time, I want to say. Also, when the possession wears off a normal soldier they'll suicide.

Regardng the possession upgrades...

I only ever saw the "spend less" upgrade for it in the store, is the other upgrade hidden or something?

GavinGT

Banned
That's a shame. I loved returning to old areas in B1 and seeing my green-lit turrets and security cameras still working.

There are Bioshock-esque turrets later in the game that you can activate and they'll be on your side until they're destroyed.

Regardng the possession upgrades...

I only ever saw the "spend less" upgrade for it in the store, is the other upgrade hidden or something?

The vigor upgrades are different at every machine.

beastmode

Also, let me know when you see a game that tackles issues like racism and religion as deeply as this game.
They're not meaningfully represented in the actual gameplay at all, though.
The game never had a secret agenda about how they think racism is bad. It was more to show "just how the way things were in the year of 1912, America."
Like how women used to be common in the military?
Instead Levine, tried to paint the real America of 1912. An they did that in subtle ways like the 2 bathrooms. One being all fuck up and nasty, and the other shining like gold.

Possess it when there are a lot of enemies in front of it in order to weaken/kill both parties. Otherwise, I just Charge (with melee oriented gear on) and shotgun it to insta-kill. It works up to Hard, at least, not sure about 1999.

DatDude

Banned
They're not meaningfully represented in the actual gameplay at all, though.Like how women used to be common in the military?.

I see your point.

But I still think it's a big step forward regardless. Most games don't even touch these themes with a 2 inch stick.

Regardless how well you think it was executed, I do applaud Levine for taking on the challenge, and if nothing else being a potential catalyst for more developers to take these taboo issues on in the video game medium (especially in the mainstream medium)

There is going to be a substantial backlash against Irrational from PC gamers if they don't get the stuttering issues sorted out. It's pervasive across almost every configuration of settings and hardware.

Yeah, same thing happened when Half Life 2 came out. Valve never recovered from that.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm surprised the actual game didn't have any 'Gear' puzzle ala Industrial Revolution.

Speaking of which, how many rewards are there to be gained from Industrial Revolution? I didn't get super far, only unlocked the first tier.

edit: How hidden are the optional objective items? The first two
key for the chest and codex book
I haven't really found, confused if they're somewhere farther in the game and I have to backtrack, or if I just missed them in the area where the objective was given.

CzarTim

Oh yeah, Infinite was a fine game. Just not this mindblowing gameplay experience of a generation that people were hyping it as. More skyrail integration for verticality, Elizabeth being better in combat and more meaningful weapons would've pushed this a lot higher for me.

For me, the story was what was driving the experience. And this is coming from someone who never plays story-driven games due to lolvideogamewriting and boring design. Columbia was a beautiful place to explore, the aesthetics/art design was great, and the writing was fantastic.

There was really only one time that I felt the game jerked me around in an attempt to stretch things out
the three tears
, and even that was there to avoid a long info dump, so I can forgive it. For me, a better paced narrative experience trumps a pure exercise in mechanics. Infinite delivered on that front.

Speaking of which, how many rewards are there to be gained from Industrial Revolution? I didn't get super far, only unlocked the first tier.

according to the IGN guide, the next set of rewards requires you to beat the entire thing (lvl 59 i think?) and you just get some wallpapers

DatDude

Banned
For me, the story was what was driving the experience. And this is coming from someone who never plays story-driven games due to lolvideogamewriting and boring design. Columbia was a beautiful place to explore, the aesthetics/art design was great, and the writing was fantastic.

There was really only one time that I felt the game jerked me around in an attempt to stretch things out
the three tears
, and even that was there to avoid a long info dump, so I can forgive it. For me, a better paced narrative experience trumps a pure exercise in mechanics. Infinite delivered on that front.

This.

The Narrative, and The City of Columbia is why this game will be remember 10-20 years from now.

The gameplay is just the bridge to get us there.

Top Bottom