• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

OneLetter

Can you comment definitively on whether or not you need to restart the game to get the season pass items if you bought the season pass after leaving the Blue Ribbon restaurant?

This is what I've learned from our Lead Systems Designer. "If the Season Pass was enabled prior to entering the Blue Ribbon Bar, you can pick up the gear on the first table to the right as you approach the bar. All four pieces of gear are only awarded directly if you bought the Season Pass and continued a game after the Blue Ribbon Bar in Town Center."

Is this not what occurred in your situation? Did you try redeeming the Season Pass already? Let me know.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Where can I buy the upgrade for possession? I saw it a while ago but now I can't find it (and can't go back)...

Cheska

Keep in mind how valuable it is in combat though. You're not just eliminating an enemy, like you would with another vigor. You're adding another target for your enemy to focus on, AS WELL as getting an ally that can damage them. The distraction alone is worth a LOT of value and let you chew through enemies far easier. It's very, very good.

Thing is, I've been mainly using it to possess the vending machines for the free money and discount. I can see the value in it's combat use though.

There is an upgrade eventually that makes it much better. Costly, but pretty worth it.

Hm, don't think I've come across this yet. It's currently eating up half of my salt reserve with every use.

Riposte

This is what happened to me last night. I lost about 20 minutes of scavenging due to the GPU crashes I was dealing with last night so when I got back to that area it really felt like a chore, at least more of a chore than searching every spot for trash loot already is.

This, people, is why manual saving and the ability to do it anywhere is the preferable method.

Is this because a game couldn't possibly have reasonable checkpoints nor be designed to not be so inanely boring that you can't stand the thought of replaying 20 minutes?

I can't deny there are lots of badly thought out opinions out there. And you're right that lots of people will continue to praise this game and you will continue to think it's not that good.

But rather than say it's "overrated," implying the game is factually not as good as people think and you are the one who can see the truth, just say you didn't like it as much as the majority and say why. Opening by saying that the majority's subjective experience is wrong isn't going to lead to a good discussion.

The people who think the game is great think so for many reasons, some of which are irrelevant to your own tastes or evaluation criteria. I think it would be difficult for you to argue that your core values (re: gaming) are a better standard than another person's. And if not difficult, then pointless. You can't convince someone they didn't have a good time, or that they should care about x, y, and z failings if they really don't.

I don't really think of it like that, in fact it may be a little bit of over-thinking since I don't take it that seriously. It is pretty simple for me: A lot of people like a game more than I do and in this case be praised to high heavens. Overrated, from my perspective. If it ever comes down to people telling me BioShock Infinite is the best game of the generation, that is the context the conversation is going to take place in. Think of it less than me positioning other people and more me just positioning myself away from others.

Also, am I just really bad at this game (i.e., should be playing on normal, not hard), or can no one else afford the vigor upgrades 90% of the time? They're like, over $1,000 consistently and I never have anywhere near that amount of cash.

Plumpman

Where can I buy the upgrade for possession? I saw it a while ago but now I can't find it (and can't go back)...

Actually there are points in the game where certain upgrades just straight up aren't available to buy from certain vigor vendors. I know this for a fact because I didn't buy possession upgrade early, so I saved up money for it, and it was no longer available at vendors for the next 1-2 hours when I wanted to purchase it, but then mysteriously reappeared later on.

Not sure if its a bug or based on the area of the story your in, but yeah...

Derrick01

Banned
Is this because a game couldn't possibly have reasonable checkpoints nor be designed to not be so inanely boring that you can't stand the thought of replaying 20 minutes?

That's a fair point. I wouldn't really complain about having to re-play 20 minutes of something I was really, really enjoying. Hell even if the 20 minutes in this game was just normal FPS progression and not crawling on every inch of the ground looking for every spare coin people throw in the trash for some reason it wouldn't bother me as much.

Need some strategies for one of the last (maybe the last) battles in the game

Defending Comstock's airship with Songbird. They completely rocked me and I think there was still 2 or 3 zeppelins to go.

DatDude

Banned
Elizabeth trowing you supplies never gets old.

So far I think the original Bioshock is defiantly the better game though.
Infinite just doesn't have enough new ideas, there is a definite sense of 'been there, done that'.

Still a solid game though.

It's meant to play like a Bioshock game though. It's not meant to have radically new design choices.

An what about Columbia, playing while it's still alive and well.

Or the narrative in general. It's miles and miles apart from what bioshock 1 offered.

So besides the gameplay (which I think Infinite improves upon), I'm not sure where your suffering this retread from.

Alucrid

Banned
I think Bioshock Infinite is definitely, for all intents and purposes, the "better game," in terms of gameplay and story.

But for some reason it just doesn't have the magic of the original Bioshock. I dunno what it is :(

Eh, I think Infinite has a charm that, for me, exceeds that of the first one. Of course I'm a sucker for anything in this time period, probably gonna watch O Brother, Where Art Thou now. I really liked the time spent when Columbia was somewhat normal and there was no fighting going on, something Bioshock didn't have.

GavinGT

Banned
This is what I've learned from our Lead Systems Designer. "If the Season Pass was enabled prior to entering the Blue Ribbon Bar, you can pick up the gear on the first table to the right as you approach the bar. All four pieces of gear are only awarded directly if you bought the Season Pass and continued a game after the Blue Ribbon Bar in Town Center."

Is this not what occurred in your situation? Did you try redeeming the Season Pass already? Let me know.

I actually wasn't asking for myself. Others had this problem and I couldn't find a proper answer. Thanks for following up, regardless.

I think I figured out what it was that confused people, though. They bought the season pass after the game's release expecting it to come with the five free infusions. But apparently the free infusions are just an early bird bonus for those that purchased the pass before the game's release.

So I am stuck in 1999 mode.

lady Comstock's ghost is pretty much impossible to kill. I just run out of ammo. I got past the graveyard without knowing how I did it, I died she disappeared the twins were there talking to me. So I've been gettin the tears, got to the bank vault, then she attacks me again. Ran completely out of ammo, room is full of zombies...

First time I've regretted first play thru in 1999 mode.

FartOfWar

Banned
I guess I'm not far enough yet to appreciate these (literally) on rails stuff. I've only used the sky rails a couple of times and it was only to go to a new area. To me it could have been a loading screen and I would have felt the same about it...nothing.

Aww damn it I didn't even notice that until now. Someone switched it back to this lame one.

Just keep scoffing and playing. Skylines become combat tools through and through. Whether you like them or not is another question, but give it time.

Alucrid

Banned
So I am stuck in 1999 mode.

lady Comstock's ghost is pretty much impossible to kill. I just run out of ammo. I got past the graveyard without knowing how I did it, I died she disappeared the twins were there talking to me. So I've been gettin the tears, got to the bank vault, then she attacks me again. Ran completely out of ammo, room is full of zombies...

First time I've regretted first play thru in 1999 mode.

I just waited behind the vault to the left and peaked out and shot her whenever she appeared. Throw fire grenades at zombies that come up. There's a repeater in one of the back rooms. If you're completely out make a break to the room on the left for ammo / supplies or the left which I think has a carbine. It took me a while of just taking pot shots at her.

BobTheSpy

Banned
For some reason, I have no idea why, I'm just not enjoying Bioshock Infinite at the moment. And I really have no idea why - it's totally awesome, I'm just not liking it. It's weird, because yesterday I was having so much fun. Huh.

MNC

Hm... Around halfway, I'd say.

Though I did spend a lot of time in the beginning just wandering around, lol.

Maybe like...35%? Tops?

I did not need to know that... I don't want this game to end!

So far, the only thing that really bothers me is that Elizabeth 'warps' (as in, she cannot reach you and suddenly appears behind you when not looking) but other than that this game is amaaaaaaazing

Ricker

Elizabeth's AI is awesome...when I am roaming around,looking in every corner for stuff to loot and I turn around and see her either sitting down,leaning on a wall,looking down at something etc etc,it just makes her character so great..and then she throws me sniper ammo or health,yeah good stuff.

I just waited behind the vault to the left and peaked out and shot her whenever she appeared. Throw fire grenades at zombies that come up. There's a repeater in one of the back rooms. If you're completely out make a break to the room on the left for ammo / supplies or the left which I think has a carbine. It took me a while of just taking pot shots at her.

Completely out of ammo, tried going into the room to find stuff, got overwhelmed. I'll keep trying.

Somewhat like Human Revolution (but with less grinding on an annoying hacking minigame), Infinite encourages you to make a chore out of exploration. Tying power upgrades and optional doors (money and lockpicks) to sniffing around every crevice is draining as a player who wants to experience everything. I'm now in the mindset of the most vigilant maid who've ever lived. My play time is high, but I feel like a lot of that is just cleaning places of garbage and loose change, with unlocking a door being the highlight of these periods of downtime. I didn't vocalize it before, but it is one of my bigger problems with the game. So you might say why don't I just stop? These upgrades are steep in price (not to mention numerous, if we include guns) and the game has already taught me the best way to find those vials which upgrade my stats is behind locked doors.

You know, this would bother me, but whenever presented with this sort of thing I am reminded of Blue Dragon. Nothing else with encouraged scouring spam will ever bother me again. Blue Dragon literally cured me of my "must check every pot" old JRPG OCD habits, there was no way I could go on without going insane. I'll be legitimately appalled if I even feel bothered by what's on the table in this by comparison.

That's a fair point. I wouldn't really complain about having to re-play 20 minutes of something I was really, really enjoying. Hell even if the 20 minutes in this game was just normal FPS progression and not crawling on every inch of the ground looking for every spare coin people throw in the trash for some reason it wouldn't bother me as much.

It's definitely an interesting question, but honestly, I'm very annoyed having to redo 20 minutes of something I've already done even if I enjoyed it. I think the difference is whether I'm playing something with wildly different emergent possibilities, or something where you're mostly doing the same thing trying to get from A to B.

I am aware these two statements I'm making here might seem a bit at odds.

The ambient music in the (location spoilers)
Good Time Club
sounds like one of those time-stretched songs, like this. I sorta want to record an hour of myself just standing there, then speeding it up and seeing what the actual music is.

Before starting a late afternoon gaming session, I figured I'd go ahead and install the original Bioshock from the Infinite disc to my PS3.

And holy Christ, it is taking forever. How long will this take? I've never downloaded a full game from a disc to my PS3 before, so I'm not sure.

Anton668

so im in
comstock house
and none of my steam achievements seem to be advancing. vox's, Kinetoscopes, dont seem to register.

anyone else come across this?
restart game/lvl?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I just cannot get into this game at all. Not enjoying it and was bored almost immediately. I haven't even gotten to Elizabeth yet :-/

Ricker

I just cannot get into this game at all. Not enjoying it and was bored almost immediately. I haven't even gotten to Elizabeth yet :-/

Then quit now or...if you are bored by the view of this game,the art,the graphics then this game is not for you I guess...Elizabeth might enhance your opinion a bit though so I would at least try and reach her and see how you feel when she is with you...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

It is an AAA cinematic hallway shooter, with everything that entails. If that type of experience is stale now or if the impressive presentation doesn't succeed at breathing a bit of life into it then you're unlikely to enjoy. Playing on 1999 has made it challenging for me, at least, but that comes with a lot of baggage too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Then quit now or...if you are bored by the view of this game,the art,the graphics then this game is not for you I guess...Elizabeth might enhance your opinion a bit though so I would at least try and reach her and see how you feel when she is with you...

I really am turned off by the combat. I probably will just put it up for now, I have a lot of other stuff to play. Shame that I spent $60 on this though.

It is an AAA cinematic hallway shooter, with everything that entails. If that type of experience is stale now or if the impressive presentation doesn't succeed at breathing a bit of life into it then you're unlikely to enjoy. Playing on 1999 has made it challenging for me, at least, but that comes with a lot of baggage too.

I usually don't have a problem with this stuff but this game really just turned me off for some reason. Perhaps because I'm black lol

UberTag

So does the PSN download include Bioshock 1? Or is that only in physical copies?
Bioshock 1 was added to my Downloads list after buying the Season Pass bundle of Infinite off PSN so it's definitely included in that one.
Don't see why the $59.99 version wouldn't have it, either.

AkuMifune

Banned

I ended up playing the first few hours a couple times, and there is so much to do and see before you even fire a shot, it's amazing. The way is slowly pulls you into it's world, like falling up a rabbit hole.

I'm going to fight the urge to tell you to go play CoD, but if the opening sequences aren't getting you excited at the prospect of experiencing something really special in gaming, maybe it just isn't for you.

When I find (mid game spoilers)

Slate in prison after sparing him. There's a gun sitting on the table across from him - what happens if I give him the mercy he wanted before?

Slate in prison after sparing him. There's a gun sitting on the table across from him - what happens if I give him the mercy he wanted before?
Shot the dude in the prison. He died. Liz made a comment and so did Booker. The end. If you kill him beforehand in the hall of heroes, he just never shows up in prison.

nib95

Banned

What are your thoughts on the game thus far?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Ooh!
I did this. I just pulled the trigger to see if I could shoot him now, and I could. iirc Liz comments something like 'it's what he would've wanted' or 'it's better this way', not exactly sure

Top Bottom