• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

chogidogs

bioshockinfinite1999.jpg

18 hours clocked.

Good job! Did you also get the one for playing 1999 without using the store? I was gonna attempt it but that one was kinda too brutal for me.

FeD.nL

Just finished it. I really really liked it but I didn't loved it. Might be my expectations that killed it a bit but I thought some parts dragged on for too long. I also found the vigors much less interesting then the plasmids were. Basicly used only 2 the whole game, charge and the charm enemy one. The combat was much improved though and I did really like the skyhook. The story is where the game shines the most and i'm really looking forword to my 1999 mode playtrough to pick up things I missed.

Overall a really solid experience though I would have liked a few more open ended combat arena's. To many corridors for my liking.

I also found the vigors much less interesting then the plasmids were.

Definitely agree, so far I've been a little disappointed with the vigors compared to the plasmids. I keep getting pop ups reminding me to use them, not sure though if those show up for everyone at the same times regardless of how often they get used. I'm probably going to replay (at least) some of Bioshock pretty soon to see how the plasmids compare, my memory of them isn't the greatest so maybe they weren't as good as I'm remembering. I definitely used them more than the vigors, at least, but I played on Normal so maybe they were more necessary. I remember them feeling more "right" in terms of the game and the atmosphere, too, for some reason in Infinite I feel like guns are more fitting, even though there's a lot of crazy stuff in the game.

I've been playing pretty much exclusively for the story/environment which is why I picked Easy, that's why it'll be pretty disappointing if any part of the ending gets locked out. Gameplay has consisted of lighting people on fire with melee, the pistol, and sniping people so I can spend more time looking around at how beautiful the environments are.

Nemesis_

It depressed me today that everyone seemed to be returning BioShock because "nothing happens" and then replacing it with Army Of Two: Devil's Cartel.

I know you can't return games like that in other countries, but I hope this anecdote isn't indicative of how it sells. :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So hey, vsync doesn't appear to work with my new PC.

Worked fine on my old build but now when I start the benchmark with latest AMD drivers it starts at 60 fps but then jumps to over 100 at times, the second area starts at 80 and flucntuates etc.

I've turned on frame limiting in game and have vsync always on in the control panel and triple buffering on, same as I did on my Nvidia, but nothing seems to actually work.

Should I make a profile for the game or something? I just want it always forced and triple buffered same as I always had it.

Any tips? I guess this aint game specific but I figure you guys might now.

Dantis

Just finished it. Very good game. Story was surprisingly unsurprising. Maybe I've been spoiled by too many similar stories, but I worked out one of the major twists about half an hour into the game. By the time the big reveals came, there were only one or two things I hadn't worked out.

I'd give it a solid 8.5.

Enco

Just focus her down, ignore her summons for as much as you can.

I had upgraded charge, which makes you invulnerable and I had a piece of clothing that debuff'd enemies with 2x vulnerability when melee'd

I would shock the group, charge in, and just drop massive damage on her. while her vulnerability and my invulnerability overlapped, then repeated.

If she flashed in and was about to do that explosion attack, I would just charge her and go invulnerable when she exploded.
I really hope your use of gender hasn't spoiled the game for me. I'll be pissed if its what I'm thinking.

I doubt it is though.

derExperte

I'm probably going to replay (at least) some of Bioshock pretty soon to see how the plasmids compare, my memory of them isn't the greatest so maybe they weren't as good as I'm remembering. I definitely used them more than the vigors, at least, but I played on Normal so maybe they were more necessary.

B1 was more difficult on normal than Infinite so the Plasmids were more important. You can brute force your way through the whole game without using Vigors much while using the same tactic and honestly I think that's a flaw in the game design. Normal should have been harder at least on PC like in Alan Wake, where they turned the difficulty up. I changed my tactics a lot and used all the resources but I fear some people won't do that and then complain about boring combat which would be too bad as the bigger areas are really well designed and offer lots of possibilities for dynamic fighting.

I really hope your use of gender hasn't spoiled the game for me. I'll be pissed if its what I'm thinking.

I doubt it is though.

If you think what I think that you think you're wrong.
That Booker fights Elizabeth?

It depressed me today that everyone seemed to be returning BioShock because "nothing happens" and then replacing it with Army Of Two: Devil's Cartel.

I know you can't return games like that in other countries, but I hope this anecdote isn't indicative of how it sells. :(

You work at EB? And how are you finding the game?

Enco

B1 was more difficult on normal than Infinite so the Plasmids were more important. You can brute force your way through the whole game without using Vigors much while using the same tactic and honestly I think that's a flaw in the game design. Normal should have been harder at least on PC like in Alan Wake, where they turned the difficulty up.

If you think what I think that you think you're wrong.
That Booker fights Elizabeth?
Thanks haha

I was scared of clicking that spoiler but that's good to hear.

Fjordson

The design of Columbia is just...man, really the star of the show. Everything about the environment is beautiful.

If Levine and company ever feel like jumping back into the fire and want to outdo themselves, I really hope they make an open-world game next gen.

CzarTim

This seems like it's going to be a real challenge for the industry moving forward. There is a group of people who value mechanics/gameplay over the experience/story. It's going to be impossible to appease both, and it will leave the two sides bitter at each other as they are coming to the table for completely different reasons.

Fjordson

How many of you fellas on the 360 version played with the V-Sync off vs. on? I'm playing with it off, and I'd like to turn it on, but I don't want a bunch of laggy input. Does it get bad?
It's defaulted on, right? I haven't messed with it at all and yet I don't feel like I'm losing one bit of responsiveness.

Truant

I finished the game in one day. 10 hour sitting + break + four hours.

I felt kinda bad knowing Irrational spent so much time, energy and money for the last few years.

One thing is really annoying me and thats when you have a two handed weapon he hasn't got the skyhook on his left arm, its a small gripe but its just so odd.

Limit

It's not. I'm a filthy casual, played it on easy, and I'm pretttty sure I saw the whole ending. The after-credits part and all.

From personal experience I can also confirm that playing on easy gives you the full ending. Who started this rumor anyways?

Wunder

Hey guys! I was just wondering if there was a way to cancel a vigor spell after you've started casting it? I often press RMB when trying to ADS and often waste my salt on nothing. Not sure if the question has been asked before but I'm too scared to wade through the spoiler-infested thread because I get tempted to hover over them.

hey guys I'm about to finish it in medium difficulty mode. I'm thinking in replaying it again in hard mode and I'm wondering if you keep your "stats" or if you start from zero again.

Fjordson

Hey guys! I was just wondering if there was a way to cancel a vigor spell after you've started casting it? I often press RMB when trying to ADS and often waste my salt on nothing. Not sure if the question has been asked before but I'm too scared to wade through the spoiler-infested thread because I get tempted to hover over them.
On the controller I do this also (with Left Trigger instead of RMB).

What I do now is just hold the cast button so that you're basically waiting to drop a trap version, but then press the switch weapon button before you left go of RMB and it'll stop the cast.

aravuus

hey guys I'm about to finish it in medium difficulty mode. I'm thinking in replaying it again in hard mode and I'm wondering if you keep your "stats" or if you start from zero again.

No new game+, so you start from zero again.

Are there no console commands or have they just not been discovered yet? Going to go for another normal playthrough this weekend but after that, fooling around with the console would be fun.

Wunder

On the controller I do this also (with Left Trigger instead of RMB).

What I do now is just hold the cast button so that you're basically waiting to drop a trap version, but then press the switch weapon button before you left go of RMB and it'll stop the cast.

Sweet, thanks! Do you let go of the LT before or after you switch weapons?

edit: Just tried it, maybe I fucked up but it didn't work and I laid down a trap and wasted 50% salt ;;

DSmalls84

Just finished the game last night on Hard mode. This is really one of the best games I have played in a long time. One of the few I immediately wanted to start again when I finished. I started playing in 1999 mode and I'm not sure If I'm going to stick with it. It definitely seems a lot more difficult than Hard, and I can imagine some of the late game encounters will be really frustrating. I'm gonna give it another shot tonight though.

Does anyone have a list of recommended skills and stats for 1999 mode? I focused on Shield and Salt Capacity on Hard mode and maxed out Bronco, Crowes, and Posession. I think I'll need a direct damage vigor like Devil's Kiss in 1999 mode.

ttocs

I usually blow through games pretty fast to move on to the next game in my list but this is one game I'm just savoring. I got it on the PC so I could put on headphones and just forget everything around me and live in Columbia. So far, I haven't been disappointed. I really think I'm going to be sad that the story is over when I finish the game. Games like these only come around once in a blue moon.

Got through the first few hours last night, up to
the entrance to Monument Island
. I can definitely see the comparisons to Lost - you're tossed onto an island world with next to zero explanation, and every time a scrap of info is revealed it creates many more unanswered questions. Looking forward to how it all unfolds.

I'm surprised there's so little interaction with the people of the city, though. No one to greet you, no one really against you (except the faceless mobs and
the mere image of Comstock
). I'm sure that will change but its quite a slow burn so far.

Loving the city itself, though. Right up there with my experience escaping City 17 thus far. I came across a character model that looks just like FartofWar - no coincidence I assume, Fart? The guy in the bowler hat before the action really begins?

One more note. Glad I'm on medium. I've died several times already.

Clevinger

I kinda hate this game. I mean, the game part of it. The art direction is amazing, the graphics are amazing, the sound design is amazing, the story is good so far. But the actual gameplay, holy shit. Just boring, tedious, long fights, one after the other.

LiK

I kinda hate this game. I mean, the game part of it. The art direction is amazing, the graphics are amazing, the story is good so far. But the actual gameplay, holy shit. Just boring, tedious, long fights, one after the other.
really? How many Vigors do you have? It's so much fun switching around and using various ones in combat.

Ricker

Just remembered I pre-ordered this on Steam...aren't we suppose to have/get the Revolution pack,which includes 5 lockpics and stuff like that...?

I kinda hate this game. I mean, the game part of it. The art direction is amazing, the graphics are amazing, the sound design is amazing, the story is good so far. But the actual gameplay, holy shit. Just boring, tedious, long fights, one after the other.

Agreed completely.
"Wow, the story, the visuals are so fascinating..." and then turn a corner and another generic shootout with the same enemies you've seen countless times before.

R1CHO

Kind of the same feeling here, not as strong as to say hate i guess.

The combat is solid and feels good, and the skylines are a great addition to the game.

But i got tired after the first hours, there is not varied enough. Same enemies one arena after another.

Gameplay wise the game is just combat and a little bit of limited exploration.

That's ok for a 4-5 hours game on my book, but i get tired in a long game like this.

DatDude

Banned
Why don't you guys play on easy?

The enemies don't really become a concern anymore, giving you more of a chance to explore and soak up the environment.

Zabka

I love the gear in this game. Had no idea it was even a thing until I ran across the pants that let you dash in for melee attacks.

really? How many Vigors do you have? It's so much fun switching around and using various ones in combat.

This. I love mixing up or even combining them into attacks. Burning crows for the win. Add the tears, the ability to lay traps, the gears (flaming melee is pretty dope) and especially the sky-lines and you can have some really dynamic combat. Jumping off a sky-line to send an enemy flying never gets old. It gives you way more options than most shooters, even though the actual gunplay doesn't feel as good as saomething like FEAR or Killzone. Playing on 1999 Mode btw and loving the challenge. I'm like that. But I also enjoy exploring every nook and cranny for money, salt, health and recordings and the like.

I think it's an astonishing game. There's a real artistic vision behind it, which this industry could use a lot more of.

This sums up my feelings as well. At least the guns are at least a bit more fun to use than in Bioshock 1, albeit being generic as fuck so far. The people of Columbia are so inventive and still use normal pistols, shotguns, machine guns and rpgs? Lame. The rest of the game is so over the top that a few crazy guns would've been appropriate.

But outside of gameplay Infinite is amazing (especially how the game sounds, just fantastic), although I was more impressed by Rapture. I guess that's the fate of sequels.

spirity

Really not seeing the complaints about combat. I love it, hoisting enemies up into the air and blasting them with the shotty, or possesing one guy, seeing him turn on the others and picking them off with headshots from the hand cannon, while at the same time keeping mobile. I'm mixing it up constantly and really enjoying doing so. I do have a liking for fps games, so I don't know if thats a factor, and I always keep moving from one cover to the next. (That's kinda important. The worst thing you can do is stay stationary behind cover, you must keep mobile, its far more fun that way).

Having the world of Columbia unfold and following the story is just icing on the cake. Its such a great package, and I'm eager to finish the game and get my teeth into 1999 mode.

DatDude

Banned
Really not seeing the complaints about combat. I love it, hoisting enemies up into the air and blasting them with the shotty, or possesing one guy, seeing him turn on the others and picking them off with headshots from the hand cannon, while at the same time keeping mobile. I'm mixing it up constantly and really enjoying doing so. I do have a liking for fps games, so I don't know if thats a factor, and I always keep moving from one cover to the next. (That's kinda important. The worst thing you can do is stay stationary behind cover, you must keep mobile, its far more fun that way).

Having the world of Columbia unfold and following the story is just icing on the cake. Its such a great package, and I'm eager to finish the game and get my teeth into 1999 mode.

Yeah, neither am I :/

Not saying it's perfect, but at the same time it's not nearly as awful as you guys are describing it.

Feels like i'm playing a different game (gameplay wise) than you sometimes.

Top Bottom