• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I think about it, the more I feel like this game was made just for me. Fantastic art, themes that resonate with me, fun gun play, tons of combat options, excellent narrative, long, exploration focused; it's basically a bullet point list of everything I want in a game.

DatDude

Banned
I rented this from Redbox yesterday and am trying to plow through it as quickly as possible. I couldn't believe that it seemed to include Bioshock, so my curiosity had me click on it and... now I've been sitting here for an hour installing Bioshock when I just want to play Infinite :-/

O god. Worst thing you can do for yourself is to plowthrough it.

This game is like a good book. Do you ever want to plow through it, or rather enjoy every page?

No one loving bucking bronco and Shotgun? They were practically made for eachother. I also really like how there are latin phrases along the side of the guns e.g. Memento Mori on the shotgun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No one loving bucking bronco and Shotgun? They were practically made for eachother. I also really like how there are latin phrases along the side of the guns e.g. Memento Mori on the shotgun.

I love that combo. Float them up then blast them off of Columbia. The shotgun in general is amazing in this game.

While going through theories, I have had God Only Knows and Will the Circle Be Unbroken stuck in my head in an endless loops for the past day and a half now. Love it.

Stark

Banned
I rented this from Redbox yesterday and am trying to plow through it as quickly as possible. I couldn't believe that it seemed to include Bioshock, so my curiosity had me click on it and... now I've been sitting here for an hour installing Bioshock when I just want to play Infinite :-/

The last thing you want to do is plowthrough this game. The voxophones and various visual stuff compliments the story and builds the world.

Stopped playing for the night, really making myself slow down and enjoy the world.

Story just got really interesting. I'm about 45 voxophones into the game, so minor spoilers regarding to where I'm at:
Right now I'm in the tear where Booker was a martyr for the Vox. Holy shit was picking up a voxophone of Booker himself talking a surreal experience.
Can't wait to see how everything eventually comes together.

Grief.exe

Oh my god, the (boss spoilers)
ghost
is just not fun on Hard.

Just focus her down, ignore her summons for as much as you can.

I had upgraded charge, which makes you invulnerable and I had a piece of clothing that debuff'd enemies with 2x vulnerability when melee'd

I would shock the group, charge in, and just drop massive damage on her. while her vulnerability and my invulnerability overlapped, then repeated.

If she flashed in and was about to do that explosion attack, I would just charge her and go invulnerable when she exploded.

Just finished this... IMO it's the game of the gen. Only gripe would be how much scavenging through desks and shit that you need to do, it was tedious as fuck.

And yeah probably one of the best endings of all time.

If I had one piece of advice for someone starting it, upgrade vigors and ignore the weapon upgrades. Vigors are the best part of the combat by far.

batbeg

When I say "plowthrough" I assure the many concerned folk here I do so at a brisk but steady pace, I just was upset at losing the hour I could've spent with it. I'm off Tuesdays and Wednesdays and only have a few more hours with it before work tomorrow :(

I think I hit a bug or I'm super stupid. Gonna put my question is spoiler tags.

I got the Shock Jock from Slate and the game tells me to go back to Solders Field. I'm stuck right where Liz can pull the freight hooks into the world. It's not giving me the prompt to jump to the ledge I came in on. Is this the way to go? Am I missing something

Herp derp, was going the wrong way. This is what happens when I try to play to much video games after a 16hr shift

It blew me away when I heard the gospel song they were playing in the chapel in the opening sequence. That's a legendary song, and I wasn't really expecting it. Hundreds of country, gospel, and folk singers have covered that song. Johnny Cash even paid tribute to it in a song you can hear here, although technically you could say he was paying tribute to The Carter Family's adaptation of the song, which is itself a cover.

Anway, some random trivia if anyone is interested :p

MormaPope

Banned
Playing on medium the Handcannon and shotgun got me through the 2nd half of the game, I have a feeling that won't be the same on Hard difficulty.

Lingitiz

Really? cause Bioshock 2's ending was pretty damn good. Pretty sad as well

I don't think it's hyperbole to say Infinite's ending is the best of the generation. It comes at the perfect time and is incredibly satisfying. The only recent one that can compete might be Portal 2.

ZeroRay

Okay, I'm pissed.

First, some back story: Got the game on release date. All three instances of me shutting my PS3 down while the game was on prompted three beeps before my system shut off. No other game I own caused this in multiple repeated instances.

So fast forward to now. I decided to play some Infinite before going to sleep, and I can't even continue my game or load a chapter! The game locks up my system on the loading screen, the last instance of which created a really bad sound from the BD drive. I guess one difference between yesterday and tonight is the fact that I wasn't connected to PSN.

Anyone else having these problems. I can try logging on or deleting my game data to see if it fixes things but I shouldn't fucking have to.

Anson225

LOL i was strolling in the streets near
comstock's house
when elizabeth warned me there's a pyro coming - so I bronco that dude up in the sky and super charge him... BAM! he just flew into the freaking sky and fell down down the earth. bon voyage!

Scratch

I think I hit a bug or I'm super stupid. Gonna put my question is spoiler tags.

I got the Shock Jock from Slate and the game tells me to go back to Solders Field. I'm stuck right where Liz can pull the freight hooks into the world. It's not giving me the prompt to jump to the ledge I came in on. Is this the way to go? Am I missing something

you went the wrong way i believe. after you get Shock Jockey, you should take a right and go back through Lady Comstock's history and exit the Hall of Heroes.

123rl

Absolutely love it so far. I don't want to know where I'm up to or what is left but I just wanted to add to incredible praise this game deserves. The amount of incredible detail put into this game world is staggering. My favourite moment so far: (very mild spoilers)

Seeing the battle between the factions, and there's a woman sat on the wall singing Fortunate Son. I stopped and listened to the whole song...then almost died because I wasn't watching the fight!

Fruitster

Finished the game last night. Jesus. That ending will live a long time in my memory! I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but the story and setting makes it stand out like a bright light. Bravo to Ken and Irrational, exceptional work.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So about how far am I? I'm assuming about 1/3 or so, but not entirely sure.

I just finished
The battle with Slate in the Hall of Heroes, called the gondola, had the big fight and rode it in. Saved and exited right after that.

Sscia

Neo Member
So about how far am I? I'm assuming about 1/3 or so, but not entirely sure.

I just finished
The battle with Slate in the Hall of Heroes, called the gondola, had the big fight and rode it in. Saved and exited right after that.

Yea you're somewhere about 1/3

Kandinsky

Before I start this, does the difficulty level affect the ending? sorry if this has been asked or even noted on the OP but I'm paranoid with spoilers atm.

Scratch

Before I start this, does the difficulty level affect the ending? sorry if this has been asked or even noted on the OP but I'm paranoid with spoilers atm.

i read that if you play it on easy, you don't get the full ending. i'd recommend playing it on normal if you're not comfortable with shooters, and hard if you are. hard isn't too difficult and dying isn't too big of a deal.

Anson225

didn't realize death is what
Slate wants
until right after I spared him (trying to have mercy)... feels bad when i see him in the cell

I pretty much played through the whole game(hard mode) with the Carbine and RPG. Messed around with other guns but wasn't too attached. Same for the plasmids, pretty much only used the crows and possession. I do like the upgraded version of charge alongside the crows, however.

The plasmids didn't seem as diverse as the other bioshock games, though.

Also, there are way too many goddamn lockpicks.

Dr Dogg

Yet another stop and wonder "Hang on a sec?" musical cue this time
Tainted Love
was playing as I walked into the
bar in Shanty Town.
There was me thinking
Soft Cell
did the best cover. How many of these are there I wonder? Really hope there's a pay off or at least a connection some how.

didn't realize death is what
Slate wants
until right after I spared him (trying to have mercy)... feels bad when i see him in the cell

I thought it was fairly obvious given who the main enemies in that segment were and what
Slate
kept talking about on the PA. I felt it was really the only choice.

Just finished Infinite just now. I was able to come up with two incredibly far flung hypotheses within 2 hours of the ending

WARNING: DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING UNLESS YOU'VE COMPLETED THE GAME

around Comstock house, I wondered to myself whether Liz was actually Booker's daughter, then I thought, what exactly was keeping Booker from being Comstock? I touched upon it after pondering what the subtitle "Infinite" pertained to, and it was could only be infinite possibilities. So in one of those parallel universes, Booker was Comstock. Also Booker mentions that he had a wife and a child who died during birth, but I knew his memories couldn't be trusted, since I had hypothesized midway thru that he wasn't from Infinite's world, and that memories become muddled when crossing into a parallel dimension as was mentioned by the Lutece's

and just sat there, totally incredulous that I had deciphered the ending. Still, watching it play out, in the manner that I predicted only amplified my enjoyment. God, what an ending

i think there are some real parallels between Infinite and Nier, both of them are just devastating, but all the more memorable for it

I think this is my favorite game of the generation just for the sheer magnitude of artistry involved in the game. It will be one I will always think back upon fondly for all the awe it's inspired

So I really want to get this game however I'm on sure what platform to get it on. Between ps3 and 360 which version is superior in terms of graphics,frame rate,etc? Also, does pc version support 360 controller?

O.DOGG

Incredible, incredible game. I have to say, I didn't think the actual gameplay was that great (it was definitely very good, don't get me wrong) but the story and especially that ending... wow! Most definitely game of the year so far. And I can't imagine what could top it.

Anson225

I thought it was fairly obvious given who the main enemies in that segment were and what
Slate
kept talking about on the PA. I felt it was really the only choice.
Ya I was a bit slow during that segment

Another question:
when fink is trying to kill booker aka the audition, is it solely because he wants a new head of security? Seems a bit if a hassle.
I haven't finished the game yet. Thanks.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
bioshockinfinite1999.jpg

18 hours clocked.

Top Bottom