• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Vire

She sort of does that (like with the beach for instance, she tells you how long it took to construct it)...

But I mean, you sort of needed Atlas since the Rapture that was, was long in the mirror and the game needed a biography of sorts.

Columbia is very well and kicking and really doesn't need that.

Yeah that's true, I just remember Atlas giving you a rundown of the infamous cronies of Rapture (Sander Cohen and the like).

Also, I really missed the visual modification of the weaponry after upgrading it. It was cool seeing your gun get crazier as you upgraded it.
Random question time: Is the story complicated and hard to follow?

It's a pretty deep and complex story yes.

Oh my fucking god dude, this gear combination is hilariously fun and potent, even on 1999. Fools getting lit on fire all over the place and giving me health when they die with distant melee lunges. Toss some crows into the mix with Crow Trap Aid and you have a recipe for fun.

Burning Halo hat - 70% chance to light an enemy's ass on fire with melee, 300 damage over 4 secs
Pyromaniac chest - 50% to burn enemies when you get hit, 400 damage over 3 secs
Deadly Lunger pants - 3x increase melee strike range
Vampire's Embrace boots - melee kills restore health

Skyhook has been on the menu tonight, my friends.

I need to try that out, too.

Not really, I understood it perfectly with only a few lingering questions which were explained in spoilers thread. We played 999/VLR, this is nothing. :p

Haha....nice! I was actually going to bring up both 999/VLR. How does the ending compare to 999? Just as mind blowing for you or not? No spoilers please.

DatDude

Banned
Random question time: Is the story complicated and hard to follow?

This is probably one of the best told narratives in gaming right now.

What makes Infinite narrative such an amazing feet is that it's soooo easy to fuck up, and have more plot holes than swiss cheese.

But it doesn't. It's all told incredibly well. There's foreshadowing galore, and just incredible little plot details as well.

This is a game that warrants a second playthrough simply because there's just so much to find/and miss/and just take in.

So to answer your question: No it's not complicated to understand. If you rush through it, than perhaps, yeah.

But if you take your time, it shouldn't be. An if you do find yourself lost, than the spoiler thread pretty much has all the ending details nailed down at this point, so we would always be willing to help you understand the plot more.

But yeah..Complex? Perhaps, but in an intelligent way (similar to some great film or novel). Hard to follow? Hardly, unless you rush.

Stark

Banned
(location/story spoiler)
on the way to Comstock house
love how the level just grows. Nice sense of scale there.

I'm done for tonight- quite a bit to take in since
Shantytown
!

ironcreed

Banned
Boy, this game gets a little crazy. All of the
supernatural stuff and backtracking through the ruined city fighting Lady Comstock's ghost, hordes of enemies and looking for the three tears was a bit tedious, but it thankfully picked back up some after that. I am at Comstock's airship now
, so I am guessing I am near the end. Will polish it off tomorrow.

This is probably one of the best told narratives in gaming right now.

What makes Infinite narrative such an amazing feet is that it's soooo easy to fuck up, and have more plot holes than swiss cheese.

But it doesn't. It's all told incredibly well. There's foreshadowing galore, and just incredible little plot details as well.

This is a game that warrants a second playthrough simply because there's just so much to find/and miss/and just take in.

So to answer your question: No it's not complicated to understand. If you rush through it, than perhaps, yeah.

But if you take your time, it shouldn't be. An if you do find yourself lost, than the spoiler thread pretty much has all the ending details nailed down at this point, so we would always be willing to help you understand the plot more.

But yeah..Complex? Perhaps, but in an intelligent way (similar to some great film or novel). Hard to follow? Hardly, unless you rush.

Oooooh this is pretty exciting. Seems like this might rival 999/VLR when it comes to excellence in narrative.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Man, I feel like the bucking bronco vigor doesn't get enough love. It's great. I find myself using it more than shock.

I just stopped playing for the night, I turned it off when I got to
the factory after the Vox take your airship.

I assume I'm at like...mid-game?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Elizabeth finding stuff mechanic. On the one hand, it's GREAT to basically never have to worry about salts or ammo. On the other, it makes it kinda easy.

But I guess the good part about that is that it's letting me just enjoy the combat.

Bucking Bronco is like the best vigor.

Toss them bitches in the air and shoot them down. Combine that with the chaining gear and chaining upgrade = float city

LiK

My fave weapon turned out to be the Hand Cannon. Basically used it for most of the game as soon as it was offered to me. Didn't expect to love it so much.

Sblargh

Banned
I went crow/machine gun for most of the game, only changed a bit on the end. The crows are just so visually intense, I don't even care if the other vigors are better from a gameplay point of view.

I went crow/machine gun for most of the game, only changed a bit on the end. The crows are just so visually intense, I don't even care if the other vigors are better from a gameplay point of view.

Yeah, after watching the GB quicklook, I figured I would be using crows for most of the game because of how cool it was. Not so.

My fave weapon turned out to be the Hand Cannon. Basically used it for most of the game as soon as it was offered to me. Didn't expect to love it so much.

I've been using a machine gun/carbine combo. What I like about the game is that it's not forcing you into using certain weapons. Early on, it was putting so many rocket launchers around that I felt like I had to carry one with me because something big was coming up. But the regular guns are more than capable. It really lets you use what you want.

It's up there

If you liked 999 than you will love the fuck out of Infinite (narrative wise)

GXTLFSC.gif

Haha, just found the (pretty hefty spoilers)
Magical Melodie's store with the Cyndi Lauper tear. Add Everybody Wants to Rule the World to the covers list
!

Oooooh this is pretty exciting. Seems like this might rival 999/VLR when it comes to excellence in narrative.

Certainly better than Tomb Raider in that regard. ;)

Everyone who has finished the game has described the way the ending effects most people perfectly. I just did, had a decent amount spoiled, and my jaw was still on the floor. Fucking awesome, Shawn/Ken/Irrational. Thanks for making this exist.

Dartastic

I think I might switch it down to normal mode. While I'm doing OKAY on hard, I find myself camping a bit too much. I wanna get more creative.

MormaPope

Banned
Just finished it.

The ending makes it sky rocket to classic status, one hell of a ride, got punched in the gut and brain in the last 5 minutes.

How many of you fellas on the 360 version played with the V-Sync off vs. on? I'm playing with it off, and I'd like to turn it on, but I don't want a bunch of laggy input. Does it get bad?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ughhh, I really wish spoiler topics had some sort of alert before the game title to stand out more. I have identically clicked into the wrong thread a few times already. Luckily I didn't see anything atleast.

ironcreed

Banned
I stopped tonight after
getting on Comstock's airship. This is after I met the old Elizabeth and rescued the young one.
How much longer until this mind blowing ending?

DatDude

Banned
I stopped tonight after
getting on Comstock's airship. This is after I met the old Elizabeth and rescued the young one.

Not far now.

If your feeling tired, just start a fresh play through tomorrow. Would probably be best enjoyed that way.

MormaPope

Banned
I stopped tonight after

30-45 minutes, the last actual battle sequence is pretty damn tough, might take you a few attempts.

The ending nukes the fuck out of Bioshock 1 and 2's ending.

batbeg

I rented this from Redbox yesterday and am trying to plow through it as quickly as possible. I couldn't believe that it seemed to include Bioshock, so my curiosity had me click on it and... now I've been sitting here for an hour installing Bioshock when I just want to play Infinite :-/

Just finished up a couple of hours ago. Definitely my favourite shooter of the generation, and probably ever. The step up in gunplay from Bio 1 is amazing, and the narrative is definitely one of the best I've ever seen in a game.

Now to start another playthrough.

Top Bottom