• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

SmithnCo

Oh my fucking god dude, this gear combination is hilariously fun and potent, even on 1999. Fools getting lit on fire all over the place and giving me health when they die with distant melee lunges. Toss some crows into the mix with Crow Trap Aid and you have a recipe for fun.

Burning Halo hat - 70% chance to light an enemy's ass on fire with melee, 300 damage over 4 secs
Pyromaniac chest - 50% to burn enemies when you get hit, 400 damage over 3 secs
Deadly Lunger pants - 3x increase melee strike range
Vampire's Embrace boots - melee kills restore health

Skyhook has been on the menu tonight, my friends.

Is there a list of all the gear locations anywhere yet? I'd like to give this combo a shot.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Its funny that GameFAQs think this game is so-so and NeoGAF thinks its the best think ever since MGS1.

lol that's why I love this site.

Opinions might change.

I remember GAF calling Skyfall and TDKR some of the best movies of the year. Given one month, and now even the directors have somehow damaged their track record.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So as much as I'm loving the combat in this game, the damage stacking over shield to health is utter horseshit and leads to nothing but frustration in some of the more difficult shoot outs on hard. Instead of giving you brief room for recovery when you make a mistake, by having your shield break from a high damage shot and knowing that you need to retreat immediately, the game just negates the shield breaking, stacks the damage, and punishes you regardless.

In a game with a lot of hitscan weapons I do not find this design choice favourable. There doesn't need to be a window of invincibility after the shield breaks, but damage stacking is arse.

With the high amount of damage I was taking, my brain kept expecting there to be some kind of cover system I could employ during combat other than crouching behind walls (my brain also told me I could wallbang enemies with the sniper rifle, but then I reminded myself that this wasn't Counter-Strike).

I think what you said is part of what made some of the fights so brutal. I had to upgrade my health as quickly as possible just to stay alive
and use the gear that gave you health from low-health kills

Switching gears (har har), I'm disappointed that the game didn't have the impact on me that it's had on a lot of you. As great as the visuals were, and as well as most of the audio worked, I ultimately found the gameplay and story to be average at best, with the ending to be not as amazing as folks are making it out to be
(I'm starting to see where Derrick's 6/10 is coming from)
. I am glad I played it, however, and that I successfully tackled 1999 Mode.

It'll be interesting to see where Levine and crew take the BioShock franchise from here.

wages

Banned
I've gotten a bit further into the game and I have to admit I'm starting to get into more. I'm not crazy over it yet but I have a feeling if I stick with it it'll continue to get better.

The one thing I'm questioning is whether or not I should've played this on PC. A friend of mine is and he's loving it. Is there that big of a difference between the PC and console versions? Enough to affect the immersion factor?

Muffdraul

Isn't there some gear
that does this?

Edit: Actually maybe I made that up. I thought I picked up something like this last night.

Last night I found gear that
briefly makes you invincible and allows use of vigors w/out using up any salt after consuming any health-up item.
Maybe that's it.

t-ramp

I've gotten a bit further into the game and I have to admit I'm starting to get into more. I'm not crazy over it yet but I have a feeling if I stick with it it'll continue to get better.

The one thing I'm questioning is whether or not I should've played this on PC. A friend of mine is and he's loving it. Is there that big of a difference between the PC and console versions? Enough to affect the immersion factor?
It looks amazing on PC, so if you're sensitive to graphical detail it might have been a better experience. I haven't seen it played on console, but watching my friend play Far Cry 3 on his PS3 recently makes me very glad I have a decent PC.

Lain

I wonder if I've been hit with a bug.
I'm at the point where you find Chen Lin and can open a rift
to another Columbia
but when I open it nothing happens. There is the sound of the rift opening but everything stays the same.

KingKong

Something that I haven't seen talked about, but this game is really violent. Surprisingly so. There was a lot of talk about Tomb Raider, but one of the first 'combat' scenes of this game is you smashing someone's face in, you dismember and saw peoples necks off, your birds leave bloodied corpses, the whole game is really gruesome

Dr Dogg

How apt that this was released
during Passover
. What with the mention of
Lambs and I'm sure The Israelites were referenced earlier in Finktown
and now that I'm
aboard Comstock's airship, The Hand of the Prophet, the propaganda poster depicting him that I'm staring could well be Chuck Heston straight out of The Ten Commandments.
If anything I think I might be delving back in some books I haven't read in ages after finishing up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Something that I haven't seen talked about, but this game is really violent. Surprisingly so. There was a lot of talk about Tomb Raider, but one of the first 'combat' scenes of this game is you smashing someone's face in, you dismember and saw peoples necks off, your birds leave bloodied corpses, the whole game is really gruesome
It all comes off as comical to me when the scripting and animation tend to be exceedingly poor.

Nemesis_

I've hit a FUCKING WALL in 1999 Mode.

The battle with the
Siren
. I'm worried all my gear and equipment is wrong so I think I might have to restart, but does anyone have tips before I go through ALL OF THAT again? :(

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Sure is some lazy tagging in here, people tag like two words of a sentence when the rest of a sentence is spoiler enough in strict terms. Why not just tag the whole thing?

So as much as I'm loving the combat in this game, the damage stacking over shield to health is utter horseshit and leads to nothing but frustration in some of the more difficult shoot outs on hard. Instead of giving you brief room for recovery when you make a mistake, by having your shield break from a high damage shot and knowing that you need to retreat immediately, the game just negates the shield breaking, stacks the damage, and punishes you regardless.

In a game with a lot of hitscan weapons I do not find this design choice favourable. There doesn't need to be a window of invincibility after the shield breaks, but damage stacking is arse.

I had the same thought last night. Maybe if they stacked the shield bar on top of the health bar in the UI I wouldn't have been as bothered by it because then it'd be one constant bar getting drained but the way it is now, I'm always surprised at how low my health is after my shield pops. It really puts me off playing aggressively and being spontaneous which is when the combat is at it's best.

ironcreed

Banned
Its funny that GameFAQs think this game is so-so and NeoGAF thinks its the best think ever since MGS1.

It is falling short of classic status for me because of the combat (while fun and still good) not being up to the same level as the rest of it. Still have around an hour to go before I beat it, but that is where I currently stand. Would not give it more than a 9.0, which of course means it is a great game.

I wonder if I've been hit with a bug.
I'm at the point where you find Chen Lin and can open a rift
to another Columbia
but when I open it nothing happens. There is the sound of the rift opening but everything stays the same.

Happened to me, I just walked around a bit and her animation finished (started?) and there it was.

Guevara

Without getting too into it, this is the most (or maybe only) progressive game I've every played. I wonder how many players know about "Company Stores", or what labor used to be like in a company town (illustrated well).

Sometimes it's a little heavy handed for me, but then I realize this is a mass market game directed at a huge audience and I'm impressed. I hope it makes people read more about it.

Dartastic

I love the writing in the game. There are just a lot of really great little lines that make the experience. Earlyish spoilers - For example, when Elizabeth
finds out she's Comstock's daughter. Booker - "Comstock wants you to follow in his footsteps." Elizabeth - "Well, I want a puppy but that doesn't mean I'm going to get one!"

Made me smile.

LiK

So...should I not be focused on upgrading my shields?

i focused almost all on the shields. was only one level away from maxing it out. i felt the shields were useful. altho since death is no big deal, it's better to just max out Vigor for more fun.

Gorillaz

GaemFAQ I believe might not see what this game means in the long term meta of gaming and whats to come next gen. In both good and bad ways.

Ill talk bout it when I get back home in a few since Im on mobile.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. I played the first 10 hours or so of the game on Hard, but ended up switching to Normal last night just because every encounter required me to play extremely conservatively against bullet-sponge enemies and it really wasn't a whole ton of fun not being able to move around a bunch and use all of the powers.

I'm having a lot more fun now, honestly. I'm not going to fault the developers for making Hard a challenge, but as you progress in the game it becomes almost impossible to leave cover without getting murder faced in seconds.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It all comes off as comical to me when the scripting and animation tend to be exceedingly poor.

That's how I feel. The majority of the skyhook executions just look dumb as hell to me, one of them in particular sends the enemy rag dolling up in the air in an awkward looking fashion.

sikkinixx

I wish you could "hotkey" more powers to the dpad or something. Everyone keeps saying how amazing it is to chain all the powers etc but freezing combat to swap out powers is incredibly flow-breaking. And because shock jockey works on basically everything, it's ALWAYS equipped for me, leaving only one thing to combo it with.

I keep on coming across melee gear, so I bet the game screws me on my melee + vigors playthrough.

Yeah, I'm doing my run on Hard and I could be a melee powerhouse if I wanted. But I also got a ton of Skyline gear which I prefer so I'm sticking with that.

So...should I not be focused on upgrading my shields?

I honestly can't see a downside to shields over health. Shields regenerate on their own without needing supplies, which is why I basically have pumped all my infusions into shields and salts.

Without getting too into it, this is the most (or maybe only) progressive game I've every played. I wonder how many players know about "Company Stores", or what labor used to be like in a company town (illustrated well).

Sometimes it's a little heavy handed for me, but then I realize this is a mass market game directed at a huge audience and I'm impressed. I hope it makes people read more about it.

Holy shit. I didn't know that was real. When I heard that I was like "Oh, heh, like Itchy and Scratchy Land Fun Money. Only horrible."

Wow. This game.

I'm about 7 hours in but I could really see myself replaying this the way I rewatch movies I love. It's something I always sort of say about games I enjoy, but I can't think of another one that has so many details I legitimately want to experience again.

Lunar15

Progressive from a 1912 standpoint. Not quite as relevant now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i'm finding the combat in general to be just ok. There are a few oddities like the one you mentioned, but overall it just isn't super fun to engage enemies in the game. the artwork is phenomenal though.

Thing is I'm really enjoying the combat otherwise. It's satisfying to shoot shit, encounters are mostly well designed, and it has some great set pieces.

It's the little idiosyncrasies that are so typically Irrational that set back the game though. Exactly like BioShock. But better than BioShock and more consistent in more areas. I could comb through almost every element of this game so far and find something I don't like, or an idea I felt was poorly conceived. But, again like BioShock, but to a greater degree, it's the sum total of parts coming together than make the experience what it is.

I'm not yet at the end though, so we'll see how it pans out. The story has gone all kinds of bonkers and I've several theories playing out in my head. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two, or fragments of several, come together when the credits roll. I'm up to the part where (very late game spoilers?)
you hunt down the ghost looking for tears. I've got one left
. Unless there's some secret ten hour stint coming up, I hope to finish this tomorrow.

Top Bottom