• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

wages

Banned
Bioshock Infinite is the best game this generation. Spec Ops is like 7th.

I really need to play Spec Ops, I've been hearing good things about it. But my question to you is what makes you say that BI is the best game this generation?

I'm playing through it now (trying to rescue Chen Lin) and while I'm starting to get into it more I'd hardly say that it's the best game this gen. I'm not trying to troll or anything I genuinely want to know what people find so fascinating about it.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
When you get to Comstocks House, near the warden's level,
and that siren thing is right behind you after you flip the switch to open the gate
! It SCARED THE HELL OUTTA ME! lol

JLeack

Banned
I actually agree. I like the combat (when I remember to be creative) but I'd be fine with much reduced enemies, like a handful per level. The arena/waves of enemies model is really outdated, coupled with the barrels of ammo everywhere.

One part that was really cool for this reason was pretty early on.
I went to check out a bathroom and there were two soliders at urinals talking to each other. They acted surprised and I was surprised because most of the level was already cleared. It was a lot more impactful than killing 30 soldiers in a row.

The combat sections are added to bulk up the game. It's much easier for a development team to put time into a 20 minute encounter than 20 minutes of story and atmosphere.

I like to call combat sections 'fiber'. They bulk up the game much like fiber bulks up your ****.

I think this is the first game I've played where I had that really crappy feeling you get right before your favorite tv show ends. I just wanted more. Now we have to wait god knows how long for Irrational's next game.

Anyone else almost exclusively use the Shotgun and Buckin Bronco? I found with those two and Possession for the turrets, I hardly ever really needed to use anything else.

Zeliard

I was spoiled on the ending a week before release. It's been fairly interesting going through this game for the first time already having that information.

Bioshock Infinite is the best game this generation. Spec Ops is like 7th.

Starting to piece together my games of the gen list myself.

Bioshock: Infinite
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Uncharted 2
Portal 2
Demon's Souls
Mass Effect Trilogy (Yes really)
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Still working out the order but I think the first three are definitely going to stick. The big wild cards yet to remain are Last of Us and GTAV. I still need to finish off Xenoblade as well.

Not sure if Spec Ops will make my list yet.

Starting to piece together my games of the gen list myself.

Bioshock: Infinite
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Uncharted 2
Portal 2
Demon's Souls
Mass Effect Trilogy (Yes really)
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Still working out the order but I think the first three are definitely going to stick. The big wild cards yet to remain are Last of Us and GTAV. I still need to finish off Xenoblade as well.

Not sure if Spec Ops will make my list yet.

Mass Effect trilogy and no Super Mario Galaxy?

#fail

MGrant

Also, I have just gotten to the part where
Liz and Dewitt have gone into an alternate reality where Dewitt is the martyr for the revolution.
How far into the story am I?

About 50-60%. I got there at around 6 hours, and finished the game in 11.

MGrant

I definitely would've used the hand cannon more if I could upgrade the ammo.

I kind of feel like I wasted a lot of cash upgrading the hand cannon's damage. It kills all basic enemies in one shot from the get-go, and anything bigger is best taken out with Vigors and heavy weapons anyway.

Kade

SOX68UL.jpg

Guevara

I still think Rapture felt more "real", as in it existed without you and you were trespassing. Columbia sometimes feels like an amusement park built for your benefit.

I still think Rapture felt more "real", as in it existed without you and you were trespassing. Columbia sometimes feels like an amusement park built for your benefit.

I agree. I love both but Rapture felt like I was exploring something lost and real. Columbia feels like a Disneyland ride. The addition of bystanders in this game kind of make it... odd sometimes. There was one situation where I accidently shot someone and the lady standing next to him didn't even move or stop her scripting.

Zeliard

It's pretty amusing that gear is randomized. The second piece of gear I ever found was Blood to Salt (enemies drop salt on death 40% of the time). At the time I thought everyone got that gear then.

As you can imagine, it's been quite fun to have for a Vigor-heavy build.

eshwaaz

I only played a few hours, but the combat feels really toothless so far. The weapons don't feel powerful, and the enemies lack a sense of mass. The super-floaty ragdoll certainly doesn't help - there's just no weight here. Enemies thrown into the air kind of cushion to a stop when they hit the ground, killing the feeling of impact.

I love the setting and story set-up, but gunplay has been a disappointment so far.

mrlion

It is falling short of classic status for me because of the combat (while fun and still good) not being up to the same level as the rest of it. Still have around an hour to go before I beat it, but that is where I currently stand. Would not give it more than a 9.0, which of course means it is a great game.

Have you ever noticed though that ones that are considered classics don't have great gameplay?

One example that comes to mind is Xenogears, has a fun battle system but nothing out of the ordinary yet its highly regarded as one of the greatest video games ever made.

DarkKyo

*end-game spoiler, do not look if you have not finished the game completely*

If you like this sort of
inter-dimensional/time travel/branching universes
type of story, then I highly recommend reading
The End of Eternity by Asimov. It has a lot of similar themes and features the necessary partnership of a serious fellow and a mysterious girl.
A lot of things in Infinite reminded me of that story.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Best combo is upgraded Undertow with upgraded shock jockey. Pushing people off ledges is easiest way to kill, and when they are far just bring them towards you and then shock them. Firing water at the patriots also shocks them.

Vire

If you like this sort of
inter-dimensional/time travel/branching universes
type of story, then I highly recommend reading
The End of Eternity by Asimov. It has a lot of similar themes and features the necessary partnership of a serious fellow and a mysterious girl.
A lot of things in Infinite reminded me of that story.

Jesus holy big spoilers batman.

Keep this is the Spoilers thread.

I really feel like traps are a bit under utilized. Sometimes I'll throw one down to cover an angle, but I don't really use them strategically outside of that. I'd love if the traps had different properties, or if powers had cooldowns that made it so trapping properly could improve your effectiveness.

Top Bottom