• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Dartastic

I agree. I played the first 10 hours or so of the game on Hard, but ended up switching to Normal last night just because every encounter required me to play extremely conservatively against bullet-sponge enemies and it really wasn't a whole ton of fun not being able to move around a bunch and use all of the powers.

I'm having a lot more fun now, honestly. I'm not going to fault the developers for making Hard a challenge, but as you progress in the game it becomes almost impossible to leave cover without getting murder faced in seconds.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I'm relying too much on cover, and it just isn't as much fun as I think it could be. Should I drop it down to medium?

LiK

i'm just glad they decided to allow us to dual wield like in Bioshock 2. see guys, that game existed for a reason! ;)

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I'm relying too much on cover, and it just isn't as much fun as I think it could be. Should I drop it down to medium?

go medium. have fun.

Anton668

Something that I haven't seen talked about, but this game is really violent. Surprisingly so. There was a lot of talk about Tomb Raider, but one of the first 'combat' scenes of this game is you smashing someone's face in, you dismember and saw peoples necks off, your birds leave bloodied corpses, the whole game is really gruesome

whatever do you mean???

iECx53tTx3xCk.png

REV 09

Nitpickin': (I love the game)

- Intro before you get to Elizabeth feels a little too long. Having people fight in a really pared down version of the game (no tears, less vigors) doesn't give a great initial impression of the gameplay. It felt padded, and I was just ready to get to Elizabeth after a certain point.

i completely agree with this. The initial shooting gameplay was much weaker than it is when all the pieces are fleshed out (tears, rails, etc). I was just ready to get to Elizabeth. The pacing in general is a little off.

Anyone else feel like the game (at least the first 3rd, how far i am) might have too much art? I feel like i'm unnaturally reading everything...every sign, toy, little shop,...there's just stuff everywhere and in a game like this you don't want to miss anything so some of the sections are just jam-packed full of art stuff. I wish it would point me to the important stuff more than me having to go look in every corner. Maybe it's just me though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

My only complaint is that other than a few encounters, Normal is a bit too easy. If you're used to playing on hard you will faceroll everything.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. At least now I'm using all of my powers and feeling like a badass.

Lunar15

I think that stuff is pretty relevant today.

There are still company stores? What I mean to say is that 1912 Progressivism =/= 2013 Progressivism.

EDIT:

Also, yeah that first scene of violence at the raffle is off putting. I know Booker is a "bad dude", but it just seems way too jarring for him to do something that extreme at his first encounter with resistance.

Without getting too into it, this is the most (or maybe only) progressive game I've every played. I wonder how many players know about "Company Stores", or what labor used to be like in a company town (illustrated well).

Sometimes it's a little heavy handed for me, but then I realize this is a mass market game directed at a huge audience and I'm impressed. I hope it makes people read more about it.

I don't think it's a "progressive game" in the sense of being in-your-face or heavy handed about it. Assassin's Creed games are definitely "progressive" in that sense, Infinite is not.

i just got to the [mid game spoilers maybe?] part where
the airship gets destroyed by songbird
and so far I haven't found hard to be that much of a problem, i've died a lot but generally i've held my own in fights. i have been spending a lot of money upgrading guns over vigors tho.

Guevara

Progressive from a 1912 standpoint. Not quite as relevant now.

220px-8hoursday_banner_1856.jpg

I don't necessarily agree. I mean in the mid 1800s and early 1900s people fought hard for an 8 hour work day. Those rights were gradually expanded with the New Deal.

Now however, how many people actually work an 8 hour workday? I average more like 10. I laughed out loud when Fink mentioned the 16 hour work day, that's probably what Irrational was working in crunch mode. It's common in the tech industry anyway. Unions rose and unions are dying, and with it many of these rights.

LiK

and so far I haven't found hard to be that much of a problem, i've died a lot but generally i've held my own in fights. i have been spending a lot of money upgrading guns over vigors tho.

the game doesn't get challenging until halfway through the game, imo. some of the later enemies have pretty powerful weapons and those Patriots are quite tough when they're surrounded by grunts.

There are still company stores? What I mean to say is that 1912 Progressivism =/= 2013 Progressivism.

I don't think it's a "progressive game" in the sense of being in-your-face or heavy handed about it. Assassin's Creed games are definitely "progressive" in that sense, Infinite is not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term. Do you mean BI is in your face or AC is in your face?

I consider BI's just putting it out there without bashing you over the head with how evil it is, is pretty subtle and (at least as I understood the term) progressive.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sorta spoilerish question

Is the
couple that appears every now and then the same people who were on the boat that dropped you at the island? I didn't much attention to them at the time
Im guessing yes anyways.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it really wasn't until a bit after the part you're at where hard starts to get really challenging. Enemies really start to take a lot more damage before going down.

Is the
couple that appears every now and then the same people who were on the boat that dropped you at the island? I didn't much attention to them at the time
Im guessing yes anyways.

Yes. You'll be seeing them throughout the game.

I don't necessarily agree. I mean in the mid 1800s and early 1900s people fought hard for an 8 hour work day. Those rights were gradually expanded with the New Deal.

Now however, how many people actually work an 8 hour workday? I average more like 10. I laughed out loud when Fink mentioned the 16 hour work day, that's probably what Irrational was working in crunch mode. It's common in the tech industry anyway. Unions rose and unions are dying, and with it many of these rights.

This is my point exactly. I think this sort of stuff is completely relevant today. As is war-based racism, prejudices, etc.

LiK

Is the
Im guessing yes anyways.

correct

Anival

Banned
Didn't take long for gamefaqs to say this games is overrated lol. Im loving it so far but its hard to get good opinions on gfaqs sometimes.

Dartastic

My only complaint is that other than a few encounters, Normal is a bit too easy. If you're used to playing on hard you will faceroll everything.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. At least now I'm using all of my powers and feeling like a badass.
I do like feeling like a badass at times... I think I'll give it a go.

Lunar15

Eh, it is not worth it to have a discussion about progressivism in a thread that, so far, has been pretty debate free about themes. Sorry to have brought it up in the first place.

All I meant is that, while it's a neat albeit really cartoonized, look at industrial baronism, there's only so much knowing about that can do about today's conditions. Columbia is a closed system with what appears to be one actual company that makes nearly everything. Hard to extrapolate that to to today's conditions (in all respects). I'm not saying this as someone who disagrees with progressives or anything, just from a nerdy historical storytelling standpoint. I feel like the themes are more "frames" than they are trying to make a point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
i completely agree with this. The initial shooting gameplay was much weaker than it is when all the pieces are fleshed out (tears, rails, etc). I was just ready to get to Elizabeth. The pacing in general is a little off.

Anyone else feel like the game (at least the first 3rd, how far i am) might have too much art? I feel like i'm unnaturally reading everything...every sign, toy, little shop,...there's just stuff everywhere and in a game like this you don't want to miss anything so some of the sections are just jam-packed full of art stuff. I wish it would point me to the important stuff more than me having to go look in every corner. Maybe it's just me though.

I don't feel like it has too much of that stuff, but I appreciated a hub setting of bioshock more in relation to the game progression. I felt more...free to explore, I guess. Due to it all being linear(atleast to where I am), I feel I have to keep checking where the objective is to go the other way until I reach a dead end. Then I reached a door to 'leave area' which seems to fully move you forward without the option to go back, which is why I want to not miss things like that. I am pretty sure I already missed a side objective regarding a key because I literally had to backtrack in the opposite direction from the moment I got it.

I honestly can't see a downside to shields over health. Shields regenerate on their own without needing supplies, which is why I basically have pumped all my infusions into shields and salts.

I think the point of upgrading health is that it makes health pickups more valuable. Because they replenish based on percentage of health, you get more if your health is greater. Plus, I'm pretty sure your health goes up more with each tick than your shields do.

That being said, I've only put 1 tick into health and the rest into shields and salts. I use the gear that double my shield recharge rate and makes the time it takes to start one second shorter.

On a different note, where do I find the pre-order gear? I pre-ordered it from Steam and never found it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term. Do you mean BI is in your face or AC is in your face?

I consider BI's just putting it out there without bashing you over the head with how evil it is, is pretty subtle and (at least as I understood the term) progressive.

AC is bashing you over the head, not Infinite. In AC1 it was merely a part of the setting they wanted to use, but from 2 onwards it leaned towards very on-the-nose. I don't think any of the Biohock games are that forceful about their politics, even 1. Infinite is just getting more attention because the themes are more controversial in themselves.

-Amon-

Spot on.

batbeg

I'm planning to put this down for the day but feel like I might be right at the end, if anyone can give me some indication...

Just rescued Elizabeth and am about to board Comstocks airship.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm planning to put this down for the day but feel like I might be right at the end, if anyone can give me some indication...

Just rescued Elizabeth and am about to board Comstocks airship.

Lol. Joke right?

Edit: Oh wait I'm thinking about the first time

sam27368

Banned
So, this is the first title that my fiance is actually just as excited to see the story play out as I am, (she wasn't interested in Uncharted, or any other blockbuster game, but this one has her hooked).

One thing I'm finding, as mentioned before, is that I'd much rather playthrough this game with little to no shooting sections. It makes the story feel so disconnected from the action.

If Booker came up across 5-6 enemies in the entire game it would be good enough for me and would contextually match the story.

I think the game is incredible, easily my favourite of all time. But yeh, I would be much happier interacting with the world and letting the story unfold myself instead of shooting my way through it.

I think this is where studios like thechineseroom have it right, using first person to tell a story first and letting the elements that surround the story only serve it, not differentiate from it. (Albeit Esther needs more world interactions), but adopting that philosophy can only be good for this industry imo.

-Amon-

Bought the game yersteday, i've made two session for a total of seven hours.

Have to say i find myself intrigued by the game world, a lot. These guys created a fantastic, over the top yet somehow believable enviroment ( if you can bear finding money and EVERYWHERE )

Not in love with the gameplay, but the story and and the world itself are keeping this up for me.

Guess Who

Banned
So, this is the first title that my fiance is actually just as excited to see the story play out as I am, (she wasn't interested in Uncharted, or any other blockbuster game, but this one has her hooked).

One thing I'm finding, as mentioned before, is that I'd much rather playthrough this game with little to no shooting sections. It makes the story feel so disconnected from the action.

If Booker came up across 5-6 enemies in the entire game it would be good enough for me and would contextually match the story.

I think the game is incredible, easily my favourite of all time. But yeh, I would be much happier interacting with the world and letting the story unfold myself instead of shooting my way through it.

I think this is where studios like thechineseroom have it right, using first person to tell a story first and letting the elements that surround the story only serve it, not differentiate from it. (Albeit Esther needs more world interactions), but adopting that philosophy can only be good for this industry imo.

It's the exact opposite for me. I want my games to have challenges, not just interactions, and I'm thankful Irrational chooses to make heavily story-based games that are also solid examples of traditional game design.

sam27368

Banned
Also, I have just gotten to the part where
Liz and Dewitt have gone into an alternate reality where Dewitt is the martyr for the revolution.
How far into the story am I?

Guevara

I actually agree. I like the combat (when I remember to be creative) but I'd be fine with much reduced enemies, like a handful per level. The arena/waves of enemies model is really outdated, coupled with the barrels of ammo everywhere.

One part that was really cool for this reason was pretty early on.
I went to check out a bathroom and there were two soliders at urinals talking to each other. They acted surprised and I was surprised because most of the level was already cleared. It was a lot more impactful than killing 30 soldiers in a row.

Khar

Is anyone else finding Elizabeth's footsteps far too loud?

I play with headphones and Dolby Headphone enabled. At least ten times now I've had this ridiculously loud footstep noise behind me - over my left or right shoulder - and jumped out of my seat.

None of the other audio effects have scared the crap out of me!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is anyone else finding Elizabeth's footsteps far too loud?

I play with headphones and Dolby Headphone enabled. At least ten times now I've had this ridulously loud footstep noise behind me - over my left or right shoulder - and jumped out of my seat.

None of the other audio effects have scared the crap out of me!

Dear god I thought I was the only one! Her footsteps got really annoying to me due to the frequency she moves around and how loud they are.

Top Bottom