• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

LiK

Jesus Christ I just want this game to end. The gameplay is infuriating. This fight with
lady comstocks ghost
is pissing me off so damn much. I keep retrying

EDIT: SERIOUSLY. any tips? this is making me want to just say fuck this game

Crows or Bronco for the grunts and just keep shooting her. Pretty easy, imo.

Zeliard

I was going to say that I think the game should have done more to emphasize vigor use and maybe informed people of a couple combos to get them thinking along those lines, but then I remembered that I have adaptive training disabled, and maybe that does it.

gdt

I was going to say that I think the game should have done more to emphasize vigor use and maybe informed people of a couple combos to get them thinking along those lines, but then I remembered that I have adaptive training disabled, and maybe that does it.

It does....but later in the game. I was already messing about a bit but I guess for some those hints could come a lot earlier.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What the flying fuck, Bioshock?!?

So I get to the Hall of Heroes and see the Autosave logo go, so I quit and come back to it and it spits me out to BEFORE I even meet Elizabeth?!?! What the hell???

So when can I feel comfortable quitting?

Mindlog

More barrels. More crates. More desks. More purses. More corpses. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
lPvOgaT.jpg

baphomet

Just finished it. Overall I'd say it's a solid 8/10. Very good attempt at an involved narrative. Felt a few places dragged along somewhat, and combat wasn't the best. It was competent for sure, but I felt it could have been better. Excited to see what irrational come up with next gen. Should be amazing.

so what do you guys reckon the Story DLC will be about? Considering the main plot seemed pretty linear and it didn't seem like Booker and Elizabeth ever really had the time to go on a different adventure, I am at a loss as to what they do, unless it's from a different point of view, like Dishonored.

Use your thinking cap man. A game about
Alternate Dimensions
and the possibilities for Story DLC doesn't instantly form in your mind. Because that's what comes to my mind. And it would be incredible too.

gdt

The PC version specifically spells out when the last autosave was (IE, WARNING, LAST SAVE WAS A 2:27, QUIT ANYWAY?), does the console version not do it? The gaps can be long at times, but thats a good piece of info when quitting out.

How are you trying to fight them?

I grinded the first one with a Machine Gun and
Fire Ability
. Got a few shots in, jumped away on rails, reloaded / restocked salt. Took too long, but did it.

One the second now, using
Water Ability
and Repeater, and using he
Decoy Tear
to give me shots to the back. He is easier, but still not fun

If I see another I will scream. If the game ever decides to give me two at once I will lose my mind.

It might be my own fault that I chose to level up shield, health and salts equally, but it feels if I make one mistake I am boned

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

JLeack

Banned
Just finished it. Overall I'd say it's a solid 8/10. Very good attempt at an involved narrative. Felt a few places dragged along somewhat, and combat wasn't the best. It was competent for sure, but I felt it could have been better. Excited to see what irrational come up with next gen. Should be amazing.

Finally some level headed impressions. This game is so overrated.

Jesus Christ I just want this game to end. The gameplay is infuriating. This fight with
lady comstocks ghost

These fights are a pain in the ass on hard, had no ammo and med kits around. Use devils kiss on the grunts and itll keep them down

Hamlet

The PC version specifically spells out when the last autosave was (IE, WARNING, LAST SAVE WAS A 2:27, QUIT ANYWAY?), does the console version not do it? The gaps can be long at times, but thats a good piece of info when quitting out.
Yep the PS3 version, good way of telling when your last save was so you don't have to redo stuff next time you start the game

daveo42

Banned
Wish I had tried that sooner. Thanks guys! On a heavier note, almost had a heart attack when
The Boy of Silence is right behind you after you get to the Warden's office.
Literally screamed and jumped out of my chair haha

Same exact thing happened to me at the point. I hope I didn't wake my neighbors.

I just...like just literally beat the game. Oh my radda that ending. Good luck and godspeed to everyone still playing!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

It sucks because my system clock is not set (not connected to the internet). Aww well it sucks to have to replay the hour or so.

Mayyhem

These fights are a pain in the ass on hard, had no ammo and med kits around. Use devils kiss on the grunts and itll keep them down

Depending on your situation with what guns/ammo you have you can get FUCKED on these fights. So unfair, especially spawning with literally nothing, the boss at full health and no med packs on the map and then proceeding to basically get instashotted by like 10 diff enemies from around the map.

this is fun.

Dug

Banned
lady comstocks ghost

I just ended up shooting at
the ghost
from as far away as possible and not
her minions
. Also using the Crow vigor on here
minions
helps too.

Wish I had tried that sooner. Thanks guys! On a heavier note, almost had a heart attack when
The Boy of Silence is right behind you after you get to the Warden's office.
Literally screamed and jumped out of my chair haha
That just happened to me. Sad thing is I knew
something was gonna be behind me
but I got scared anyways.
KuGsj.gif

Dartastic

Not really I was happy to see her do her own thing without needing to stand in place and stare at her.
I like that too, but I think when she's close to Booker that if they reduced the radius where she just runs away (it's obvious there's some magnet shit going on there (ICP.img) that it would make her seem far less... AI like.
there are places in the environment where Elizabeth would lean on the wall or sit down. she won't move if you go up to her there. too bad she doesn't emote much there. at least you can admire the textures on her dress.
I know. But like, she doesn't move naturally. She moves in relation to Booker, but not in a natural way at all. She sticks by you, but the second you get too close to her she bolts off. It's not natural, and it REALLY breaks the immersion.
I notice when I crawl she doesn't move.
Good to know.

LiK

I like that too, but think when she's standing there that if they reduced the radius where she just runs away (it's obvious there's some magnet shit going on there (ICP.img) that it would make her seem far less... AI like.

I know. But like, she doesn't move naturally. She moves in relation to Booker, but not in a natural way at all. She sticks by you, but the second you get too close to her she bolts off. It's not natural, and it REALLY breaks the immersion.

Good to know.

if you aim your gun at her, she yells at you, hehe

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do not like fighting
Handymen
. On second now. Hate it.

Rest of the game is spectacular, and a good challenge (playing on Hard),

Handymen
are a shit versions of Big Daddise. Even Big Sisters were even fun to fight. These are not.

I didn't really like fighting them either, and felt they were one of the weaker combat elements.
I like their idea, but I felt the feedback on hitting their weakpoint was too diminished to really notice you were doing the right thing. And their behaviorism was overly aggressive and disorientating due to how much screen shaking they produced whenever they were in proximity to the player. I get they were trying to make a wild, reckless brawler, but I think they could have dialed it back a bit to make the actual fight more coherent.

baphomet

What weapons did you folks use the most? I literally held onto the carbine the entire game. I mostly used the machine gun or shotgun in my second slot, but that carbine was literally the same one I picked up at the beginning of the game. I was afraid if I saw it down I wouldn't find another.

Edit: concerning handymen
I had a tough time keeping track of the handymans location. Basically I would run backwards, turn, and have no idea where they were until they landed and starting fucking me up. Total agree with eatchildren in that they were overly aggressive.

LiK

What weapons did you folks use the most? I literally held onto the carbine the entire game. I mostly used the machine gun or shotgun in my second slot, but that carbine was literally the same one I picked up at the beginning of the game. I was afraid if I saw it down I wouldn't find another.

Hand Cannon was my jam. headshots are beautiful. Machine gun, Shotgun and Carbine were my backup.

I used shotgun and sniper. Close and far range. Zap with electricity and then mow them down with shotgun. With the enhanced damage for the shotgun I would one shot anything in my way.

gdt

Probably Sniper Rifle and Shotty. Those were my mains. With machines guns, RPGs (when needed) and hand cannon coming up the list.

Riposte

I didn't really like fighting them either, and felt they were one of the weaker combat elements.
I like their idea, but I felt the feedback on hitting their weakpoint was too diminished to really notice you were doing the right thing. And their behaviorism was overly aggressive and disorientating due to how much screen shaking they produced whenever they were in proximity to the player. I get they were trying to make a wild, reckless brawler, but I think they could have dialed it back a bit to make the actual fight more coherent.

I think in general this game was lacking good audio cues / indicators for combat.

I tried to use most the weapons (as I do with most games). Think Sniper, Carbine, Shotgun, Hand Cannon came out on top. Should have used the Pistol more, it feels nice to shoot. Some of the "red" ones turned out to be kind of useless. The fucking grenade launcher one did like no damage for all the effort it took... must have been using it wrong. And that fire shotgun also seemed stupid.

Yeah, I mainly used the carbine. Shotgun got useful later on, the machine gun is pretty terrible in all honesty.

It's all about poppin' domes baby.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think in general this game was lacking good audio cues.

Yeah, I'll agree with that for weak points. Getting actual kills had a sweet audio cue tied to the music, but it was hard to tell if you were hitting weak points.

Generally mixed it up with carbine, sniper rifle, shotgun, and volly launcher. Start covering distance with a rifle, then when close enough unleash a shock + fire storm and shotgun everyone into oblivion.

That burst rifle was pretty good too, as was the hand cannon.

DTKT

The recoil on the Burster is just silly. It prevents any kind of long range fighting and is a waste of ammo since 2 out of your 3 shots might miss.

the pistol fully buffed has been handy since it has a large magazine and you can fire it really quick, still useful even in the late game

I was carrying the pistol and the shotgun during
the fight against Lady Comstock and Comstock House. Using the pistol was a particular pain in the ass against the Lady.

Anyone else not touch the Vox weapons at all?

Yeah, I hated most of them. The repeater was okay, but it had almost zero ammo, which made it kind of annoying to carry and use.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the repeater or the burst rifle.

Riposte

Anyone else rate this game as a 3/5 or 4/5 (or lower) in their minds? What would you say pulled it down for you?

Btw, this post isn't asking you to tell me "I think it is a 5/5!".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else rate this game as a 3/5 or 4/5 (or lower) in their minds? What would you say pulled it down for you?

Btw, this post isn't asking you to tell me "I think it is a 5/5!".
You finished the game?

You know they've done a good job building the world when you start using the "walk in this direction, dumbass" arrow as a tool to know which direction to specifically avoid so you can be sure to explore every nook and cranny before moving on.

Top Bottom