• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Maybe this comparison will sound a little silly, but I'm playing through Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and this at the same time. It is astounding to me how much better the collection of items and gold hidden throughout the world is in Dark Moon compared to Infinite. Many rooms have unique items that the player can interact with, introducing optional puzzles locking away secret rooms and caches of gold and collectables. Perception meets logical thinking at these very rewarding crossroads that allows players to earn something for engaging the world in a meaningful manner.

Meanwhile in Infinite finding stuff in the world tends to involve scrounging around while mashing E to open and collect. Even if I find undesirable items like rotten food I simply eat them without consequence. Most puzzles within the world are simply a matter of picking up lockpicks to open doors or backtracking with books. It's really pretty disappointing.

Dug

Banned
Can't believe I have to
fight that ghost AGAIN. Only reason I beat her the first time is because I got lucky (think the game glitched).

Maybe this comparison will sound a little silly, but I'm playing through Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and this at the same time. It is astounding to me how much better the collection of items and gold hidden throughout the world is in Dark Moon compared to Infinite. Many rooms have unique items that the player can interact with, introducing optional puzzles locking away secret rooms and caches of gold and collectables. Perception meets logical thinking at these very rewarding crossroads that allows players to earn something for engaging the world in a meaningful manner.

Meanwhile in Infinite finding stuff in the world tends to involve scrounging around while mashing E to open and collect. Even if I find undesirable items like rotten food I simply eat them without consequence. Most puzzles within the world are simply a matter of picking up lockpicks to open doors or backtracking with books. It's really pretty disappointing.

It's really not fair to compare games with drastically different goals to each other.

The scavenging for shit is just the worst in this game. Tomb Raider 2013 tier of mindlessly clicking on randomized shiny things. And there's so MUCH of the damn stuff.

neoism

ok real quick guys... got 7 hours played but it seems like more wonder if the steam timer is right... but anyway... game is fuck awesome I just got to the
DOCKS
how far is that in the game. not really sure I want to know but I'm only playing an hour at a time because I just don't want the game to end. :/
The scavenging for shit is just the worst in this game. Tomb Raider 2013 tier of mindlessly clicking on randomized shiny things. And there's so MUCH of the damn stuff.

lol my OCD or whatever you call it makes me have to look for everyone lol probably why I love the Fallout series.. :p

I´m the only one finding the game at times very blurry on consoles? It´s nearly Darkness 2 softness. The game has a very aggressive FXAA implementation - too bad there´s no option to disable it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's a great investment. Also try shocking patriots right before you possess them. Oops, beaten by Zeliard.

Aye, working great. Vigors in general are much more well done than plasmids for me, and as an avid hater of Bioshock 1 I really have to give props to the team in that area. Combat is really winning me over now. The only one I don't really use is Devil's Kiss.

I agree, though Luigi's Mansion is one of the better game in general regarding rewarding exploration.

Does anyone else just eat and drink everything? I'm a fiend. I run around everywhere mashing Square just taking in all the food, irrespective of health and salt penalties and bonuses.

Also, do saltier food items in the game yield salt? I haven't been paying attention. Lol

I am also guilty of this. I don't even read the + and - stuff, I just take it all. Even when I have full health and medium level salt, I will take + health - salt without thinking...doesn't really have a huge effect either way.

DTKT

Fuck that
ghost fight.

I don't understand how someone can design a fight in an enclosed space with limited ammo, limited cover and a monster that spawns minions with guns. At the very least, make them all melee. At some point, I had 7 machine gun dudes, 2 "spy" ladies and 1 rocket launcher dude.

It seems that some of the game encounters were not designed around hard. I'll probably end up cheesing most of the fights because anything else is too frustrating.

Riposte

You know, I'm still not really good at killing the handyman enemies. The last one that shows up I killed decisively, but I don't really know if they have much of a weakness besides maybe ravens and water power thing (which delays them at best).

Vire

You know, I'm still not really good at killing the handyman enemies. The last one that shows up I killed decisively, but I don't really know if they have much of a weakness besides maybe ravens and water power thing (which delays them at best).

Shooting them in their heart is their weakness.

DarkKyo

Use Return to Sender and absorb all his hits while staring him right in the face and shooting his chest. Remember you can do both at once(return to sender + blasting with a big gun). Wait until you use big chunks of salt up and release the bombs into his chest. Rinse and repeat for as long as it takes.

Finally getting back to this, I feel like I've already missed the party. I really seem to take my time wandering around in games.

I'll be honest, I really wasn't feeling the beginning of the game, at least, other than wandering around.
Monument Island
is where things started coming together and getting interesting finally, albeit was nothing but a setpiece. I seem to be a sucker for setpieces, though playing this really underscores how poorly they are utilized in most games and end up impotent (/cough Tomb Raider).

I still don't care for the miscellaneous character design too much, but it's so hard to complain about the art direction in this.

Anyone else having odd bugs and freezes on PS3? I had a spot where it was as if the controller stopped working, yet I could pop up the XMB no problem. Ended up reloading, missing about 15 minutes of playtime, as seems par for the course here.

JackHerer

Fuck that
ghost fight.

I don't understand how someone can design a fight in an enclosed space with limited ammo, limited cover and a monster that spawns minions with guns. At the very least, make them all melee. At some point, I had 7 machine gun dudes, 2 "spy" ladies and 1 rocket launcher dude.

It seems that some of the game encounters were not designed around hard. I'll probably end up cheesing most of the fights because anything else is too frustrating.

Huge difficulty spike in this part that came out of nowhere. Felt a little cheap at times playing on hard.

I almost turned my game back down to easy on that part and in the last battle. For that part though I instead just reset to the last check point so I get my ammo (and money) back. I then beat it without dying after dying over and over again on my first attempt. I'd recommend giving that a try. You really need to focus on the ghost more than the minions because she will just keep spawning them faster than you can kill them.

The battles are way more fun when there are skylines present. Flying around on those things is so damn cool.

Raxus

I have to say, on me second playthrough that I am finding the possession ability (especially charged) is probably the best power for dealing with enemy clusters. One mass suicide.

I've actually had the same disconnect. It has made the world seem much more dead. I'm not enjoying exploration in the slightest here, while I loved it in the earlier games. It's funny because I'm having this problem now where any time I see a flowing cloth in the breeze in Bioshock, I want to suck it up with a vacuum like in Luigi. This has happened numerous times.

I'm playing on easy because I don't think combat belongs in this game, and it is more tolerable this way, but it is still a chore to go through.

Also, any sympathy for the character of Elizabeth went out the window when (midgame? spoiler)
she gets on the First Lady airship and sees it is headed for New York and instantly cries like a baby, then clubs me over the head and runs away and leaves me to die, petulantly refuses to help me even when I save her from rape, and then turns right back on a dime when I tell her I can get the airship she lost back for her.
What lousy, terrible characterization.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it... what an incredible ending. I had guessed two things correctly about Booker, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the implications.

Great stuff. I have my complaints about the game, but it's just soo damn good overall. I'm going to go back and start playing through it again right now, I think.

Dartastic

This game is so superb in so many ways that I think it's more important to pick out some of it's flaws. Dear devs, I think Elizabeth is great. However, she has a major flaw that I think really makes her awkward to be around sometimes. She has so much emotion, from her face, to her voice actor, to her script that sometimes I just kinda wanna walk up and LOOK at her while she's talking, or just to see her emotions, or whatever.

However, you've made it so that when I get really close to her, she runs away. I get it. It's so she doesn't block your doorway or something similar like that. But it also hinders my ability to bond with her as a person. I want to get close to her, and observe her in a way that is more... normal. I don't want her to usually be two yards away from me. Elizabeth and I just "snuck" into
Fink Industries.
It's a great investment. Also try shocking patriots right before you possess them. Oops, beaten by Zeliard.
I've been saving for that for a while now. Possession is way too useful.

Amir0x

Banned
I think I spent 11 hours just getting to Blackwater Bay in this game, can't even remember how long it has taken me to get to the point I'm at now lol

I'm playing on easy because I don't think combat belongs in this game, and it is more tolerable this way, but it is still a chore to go through.

Don't think combat belongs in the game? That's so weird to me. Half of the game is combat, and the uniqueness of combat in this game is one of its strengths. I mean, when I think of Bioshock, I think of an awesome story told through audio logs, great atmosphere, and fun combat involving vigors/plasmids.

I don't understand what people are expecting when they come into Bioshock and think the combat needs to be removed.

spirity

Love the voice acting in this game, especially the voxophone stuff.
Preston E Downes, and how he cut a boys leg off? Wow. There's quite a difference in tone between the pretty start of the game and the grim end.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I spent 11 hours just getting to Blackwater Bay in this game, can't even remember how long it has taken me to get to the point I'm at now lol
If you mean Battleship Bay, that's insane!

Meet me in the crowd
People, people
Throw your love around
Love me, love me

Preston E Downes, and how he cut a boys leg off? Wow. There's quite a difference in tone between the pretty start of the game and the grim end.

A lot of the Voxphones are interesting, but Downes are my favorites. Just great delivery on all his lines, and he really sold the bear trap one just right.

LiK

the audio mix for the Voxophones are really nice. something very crisp and sharp with the way they made the audio sound.

Just found that one for the first time. So dark. Love it.

Karak

Almost finished I think.
So far I am loving it. I think I am going to playthrough again because recording a walkthrough does change how you play and what you pay attention to.

So far the game is a solid 9 for me. Pretty god damned great.

In Monument Island there's a place with 3 levers and some electricity coming out of a machine. Seems like a puzzle, but I tried all 8 combinations of the levers and nothing happened. Is there soemthing to do here?

Double D

Just finished it. Incredible stuff here. The ending sequence was great and I enjoyed how much there was of it. And that one part? You know the one. Where you said, "No fucking way"? Yeah.

It's been pretty easy so far on 1999 mode. Though, I'm just about to get to Elizabeth and I know the battles are much more fierce after that. Going through Hard mode first I think was a wise decision as I have a good grasp on the mechanics and I can experiment quite a bit even in 1999 mode. I don't think anyone should play from the beginning on 1999 mode though, as it is much much more stingy when it comes to money, and I can imagine if your not a smart player or doing too much and get overwhelmed it can become frustrating. As it is at this moment, I'm loving 1999 mode. Though, the tough stuff is still to come.

Stream if anyone is interested. About to get to Elizabeth now.

In Monument Island there's a place with 3 levers and some electricity coming out of a machine. Seems like a puzzle, but I tried all 8 combinations of the levers and nothing happened. Is there soemthing to do here?

It's not. As far as I can tell, it just show Elizabeths capabilites throughout the ages in her life. I just got here and was thinking the same. The one on the far right is kind of funny.

Top Bottom