• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

System Shock 2 was a masterpiece for its time. Just like most other games, it has not aged well at all and the thing that pisses me off is that the very same dudes who were rubbishing Bioshock in the SS2 GOG thread refuse to acknowledge that as even a valid opinion.

Muffdraul

System Shock 2 was a masterpiece for its time. Just like most other games, it has not aged well at all and the thing that pisses me off is that the very same dudes who were rubbishing Bioshock in the SS2 GOG thread refuse to acknowledge that as even a valid opinion.

I played SS2 in 1999 and then again right before Bioshock 1 came out. It was the first game I bought after I got my first PC at home that summer. Fucking great game, classic. But it has its fair share of flaws, and the only reason it can be called "overrated" today is thanks to a very tiny, very vocal minority.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure it will end up as our goty based on our record of almost constant disappointing choices of overrated games. I only wish I could at least see what impresses people about most of those games.
You say that like there's been a clearly better game this year, do you think there has?

I wouldn't be surprised if The Witness is better, but there's nothing so far that looks comparable to me.

I played SS2 in 1999 and then again right before Bioshock 1 came out. It was the first game I bought after I got my first PC at home. Fucking great game, classic. But it has its fair share of flaws, and the only reason it can be called "overrated" today is thanks to a very tiny, very vocal minority.

I might have to give System Shock a go, I have a lot of time on my hands for the next 2 weeks or so. Ill set myself a target of trying to beat Bioshock 1, System shock 1+2 and MGR. Thats going to be tough going :p

Vire

You say that like there's been a clearly better game this year, do you think there has?

I wouldn't be surprised if The Witness is better, but there's nothing so far that looks comparable to me.

I would, Braid was overhyped pretentious drivel and this is coming from someone who had Journey as their 2012 GOTY.

This game is pretty good, but System Shock 2 eviscerates it.

And if there were a System Shock 3 that was just System Shock 2 with Infinite's production values and attention to aesthetic detail, Infinite would be the faintest red mist.

Edit: It is really cool that I can start this on 1999 mode with literally every bit of HUD except the essentials switched off. And autoaim switched off. More options like this in games, please.

(Still too easy, though.)

Muffdraul

I might have to give System Shock a go, I have a lot of time on my hands for the next 2 weeks or so. Ill set myself a target of trying to beat Bioshock 1, System shock 1+2 and MGR. Thats going to be tough going :p

I can't vouch for the first System Shock, I only played a little bit of it right after SS2. I don't even remember why I couldn't get into it. I should probably give it another try myself.

Zeliard

And if there were a System Shock 3 that was just System Shock 2 with Infinite's production values and attention to aesthetic detail, Infinite would be the faintest red mist.

It would be amazing to see, but I don't know if it could ever happen given ballooning costs of development.

I would, Braid was overhyped pretentious drivel and this is coming from someone who had Journey as their 2012 GOTY.

Ditto, really didn't enjoy it. Coupled with the hatred of Blow that I achieved from his sissy fit about 'people not understanding the game' I'll pass on The Witness.

Derrick01

Banned

No, this year has been awful so far and this game is the highlight of it right now. But that's why I'm hoping that will change since we're only 3 months in. I wouldn't be able to start constructing a goty list if I had to right now, it'd literally have nothing on it. (For reference I've played this, god of war, tomb raider, Sly and ni no kuni)

Vire

Oh Vire, you so crazy...

<3

I'll give it a shot, I'm not writing it off completely.

No, this year has been awful so far and this game is the highlight of it right now. But that's why I'm hoping that will change since we're only 3 months in. I wouldn't be able to start constructing a goty list if I had to right now, it'd literally have nothing on it. (For reference I've played this, god of war, tomb raider, Sly and ni no kuni)

If Infinite is a 7, what's God of War Ascension and Tomb Raider?

Guevara

I wish there were a way to play SS2 (on consoles) so I could see what the fuss was about. And I say that as a huge fan of Bioshock.

Zia

Not even close.

Well, I mean, that's an opinion. But, is it frustrating to know BioShock Infinite is going to appear on every publication's top ten games list for the next few years (at least) while System Shock 2 fades further and further into obscurity? : (

DatDude

Banned

Again, what did you think of the narrative and ending?

Vire

I wish there were a way to play SS2 (on consoles) so I could see what the fuss was about. And I say that as a huge fan of Bioshock.

Well, I mean nearly every computer can run it these days, so you can get off Steam for really cheap probably.

SS2 holds up much better than 1.

I never got to play SS1 when it first came out, but I tried it recently and it was tough to go back.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, I mean, that's an opinion. But, is it frustrating to know BioShock Infinite is going to appear on every publication's top ten games list for the next few years (at least) while System Shock 2 fades further and further into obscurity? : (

You ask me that knowing how little credit I give the casual gaming press.

Vire said:
If Infinite is a 7, what's God of War Ascension and Tomb Raider?

GoW is also a forgettable 6 or 7 game too. TR is like a 3.

DatDude said:
Again, what did you think of the narrative and ending?

I mentioned that already. Basically nothing to get excited over.

Muffdraul

The only reason anybody still even mentions System Shock 2 today is because of the Bioshock franchise. Otherwise it would be completely forgotten, as it pretty much was by 2007.

I imagine SS2 would probably be hugely disappointing to a fan of Bioshock.

The reasons people love it are largely what it did for them at the time -- and the underlying mechanics, which are generally more interesting, more complex, and much more challenging than anything in the Bioshock games.

If it's atmosphere and storytelling you're after, the Bioshock games are obviously going to have a massive advantage over a first-time playthrough of a 15 year-old game.

The only reason anybody still even mentions System Shock 2 today is because of the Bioshock franchise. Otherwise it would be completely forgotten, as it pretty much was by 2007.
I'm pretty sure the number of people who love SS2 in 2013 is not a whole lot larger than the number who loved it in 2007. Or 2000, for that matter.

Zeliard

I imagine SS2 would probably be hugely disappointing to a fan of Bioshock.

The reasons people love it are largely what it did for them at the time -- and the underlying mechanics, which are generally more interesting, more complex, and much more challenging than anything in the Bioshock games.

If it's atmosphere and storytelling you're after, the Bioshock games are obviously going to have a massive advantage over a first-time playthrough of a 15 year-old game.

I dunno, I'd say that SS2 can hold in its own in the atmosphere department despite the dated looks.

I can't vouch for the first System Shock, I only played a little bit of it right after SS2. I don't even remember why I couldn't get into it. I should probably give it another try myself.

I played through SS1 a few weeks ago. It's a 1994 release, so even with mouselook and slightly-higher resolution mods it's vastly more dated. It can also be a bit weirder to get to grips with than SS2, because the UI and general controls are a bit more "experimental". It's a recognizably "Shock"-esque game, though. Really love some of the 2d art as well, particularly the Elite Cyborg (dude's face is on the cover).

Also, interesting titbit: in early versions you were meant to
redeem Shodan via counter-hacking her computational nodes

I dunno, I'd say that SS2 can hold in its own in the atmosphere department despite the dated looks.
Sound design and creepiness would still be fantastic. And the audio logs. And the Many. And her. But I think we have to acknowledge Rapture and Columbia today are more immersive (and at times jawdropping) than the Von Braun can be anymore.

Derrick, what is your favorite game of all time?

I think he stopped answering those questions, because whatever the answer is, someone is gonna hold it against him

"Aha, gotcha, you like THAT stupid game, lol I'm fully justified in ignoring your opinions now"

Muffdraul

I'm pretty sure the number of people who love SS2 in 2013 is not a whole lot larger than the number who loved it in 2007. Or 2000, for that matter.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who played it for the first time when Bioshock 1 was in preview hype mode was close to the number of people who played it when it came out. It was never very popular.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
At least we can all agree that Infinite is a lot better than System Shock 2.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell No

dan2026

Good Lord the 360 version has some awful framerate problems near the end of the game.

I don't think they bothered to optimise this at all.

Makes me want to vomit its so bad.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who played it for the first time when Bioshock 1 was in preview hype mode was close to the number of people who played it when it came out. It was never very popular.

Yeah, it was one of those games that sold horribly, even by niche standards at the time, but got good-to-high reviews (8-10 scale when it actually meant something). However, it was also extremely cheap to make. I believe 600K was the number being thrown around.

Zeliard

Sound design and creepiness would still be fantastic. And the audio logs. And the Many. And her. But I think we have to acknowledge Rapture and Columbia today are more immersive (and at times jawdropping) than the Von Braun can be anymore.

I can agree that they are more immersive (and certainly vastly more aesthetically-pleasing), because at some point production values do start to matter when it comes to that.

But I felt then and still do that SS2 is an amazingly evocative game - creepier by a good margin than any of the Bioshocks, and even most survival horrors. The dated looks can even be said to play on your imagination more effectively.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
1364587060-pocket-bioshock.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Good Lord the 360 version has some awful framerate problems near the end of the game.

That Digital Foundry thing said it's on par with the PS3 one more or less, and I had no problems outside of the first fifteen minutes.

That's an odd thing actually, the opening this game runs so much worse than the rest of it on PS3, which was really sad to see, especially seeing what they were intending the opening to be. You're meant to be looking out over this majestic city, and you're getting really awful tearing, even with vsync on.

Vire

Maybe it's a bug or something because I played the PS3 version and I maybe had very very slight framerate dips at the end from the
rain
but nothing that was super noticeable.
Yes. Both are solid games but ones I won't remember at all a year from now.

Deus Ex 1.

Amazing that a game that placed such emphasis on story over good gunplay would be your top pick.

Not criticizing since I loved Deus Ex 1 but find it odd since you fault Bioshock 1 for the same trappings.

This is my last console game, by the way. Feeling pretty good about it. Moving to America soon, not bringing my 360, and it would take a miracle for the next-gen to be appealing to me. Gonna save up and buy a proper PC. It's been a fun ten years pretending to be a console gamer, but I just don't have it in me anymore.

StuBurns, join the PC gaming fold, brother.
Heh. I thought he was a PC player.
This is my last console game, by the way. Feeling pretty good about it. Moving to America soon, not bringing my 360, and it would take a miracle for the next-gen to be appealing to me. Gonna save up and buy a proper PC. It's been a fun ten years pretending to be a console gamer, but I just don't have it in me anymore.

How soon?

Top Bottom