• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Derrick01

Banned
Finally finished it. Don't see what was so mindblowing about the ending or the final sequence but what else is new when it comes to this game and people going nuts over it.

Overall it was a decent but forgettable game. But Irrational did what I asked and that was make a better game than Bioshock 1, so thank you for that at least.

not major?? one of the biggest spoilers in the game.

I figured that out about 5 hours before I finished the game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just a quick reminder:

ijIbFqLB0vn4x.png

be more careful with spoilers goddamnit.

Vire

I'm English, it's my inalienable right.

:lol

I agree though, I think I'll just avoid GAF all together when The Last Of Us rolls around.

Someone spoiled a minor thing for me in Bioshock Infinite on GAF (they were banned shortly after), but it was pretty minor in the grand scheme of it all.

StuBurns

Banned
StuBurns, can you give me a list of games you're looking forward to so I can spoil every one of them for you? Would help if you gave me your email address too.
I was going to make a joke about a twist ending for an upcoming game. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Seriously though, people are here because they care more than as is normal about games, to go out of your way to fuck up someone's experience of a game, on a forum dedicated to games? Some low shit.

Although oddly, not the spoiler I'd have used to bomb with.

Sn4ke_911

Not really compared to the rest. I figured it out on my own. Maybe it's major for others.

I figured that out about 5 hours before I finished the game.

You guys don't get it, of course somewhere during the game you figure it out yourself but still it's a huge fucking spoiler and ruins parts of the game.

LiK

Finally finished it. Don't see what was so mindblowing about the ending or the final sequence but what else is new when it comes to this game and people going nuts over it.

Overall it was a decent but forgettable game. But Irrational did what I asked and that was make a better game than Bioshock 1, so thank you for that at least.

Wow dude, wow. Looks like any other game is gonna be shit for you then. 6/10 forever

You guys don't get it, of course somewhere during the game you figure it out yourself but still it's a huge fucking spoiler and ruins parts of the game.

Of course it is. But not that major to the rest, imo

spirity

Doctor Seuss has loosed his juice
Across the sands of time.
Booker and Liz
do callously whiz
Along the bright skyline.

"Irrational's Ken!
You must make Amends!"
Riposte the crafty cried;
"You had chance to include
Seussical interludes!
You could have at least tried!"

The man with the beard quietly jeered.
He truly seemed mildly annoyed.
"To loose Seuss juice?
From where, my caboose?
And in what manner employed?"

The man named Ken,
did call to his friends,
"Dispatch Riposte, this roguish man.
Leave no turn unstoned,
he shall verily be owned,
Leave him nothing but Green Eggs and Ham!"

well god damn

I was going to make a joke about a twist ending for an upcoming game. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Seriously though, people are here because they care more than as is normal about games, to go out of your way to fuck up someone's experience of a game, on a forum dedicated to games? Some low shit.

Although oddly, not the spoiler I'd have used to bomb with.

So that's a "no" on that list of upcoming games and email address?

Sn4ke_911

Wow dude, wow. Looks like any other game is gonna be shit for you then. 6/10 forever

Of course it is. But not that major to the rest, imo

That's why he lost his "Mr.Accurate" tag. :p

Have to disagree, it's one of the biggest spoilers in the game, period.

Is any one else running into a save bug? I can't seem to get past a checkpoint 1hr into the game.

Even when I reach other checkpoints and quit, the game warns me it hasn't saved. But the save game is on my HDD, so it looks purely to be a dumb bug. I'd like a workaround though. I'm not wired up to the 360 and I don't feel like lugging my TV around to the router room to fix it!

Note: I have recently moved and my 360 isn't online, so it wouldn't have any patches.

Anyone?

Zeliard

I don't really agree with that. Sure you won't be surprised by the revelation, but it does allow you to see things from a different perspective, which is interesting in its own way (especially in a first playthrough when there's so much else you don't know). As you can imagine, certain interactions take on a whole new light when you know certain things.

StuBurns

Banned
So that's a "no" on that list of upcoming games and email address?
I'm super excited for Wii Fit U, and Disney Infinity. Is Pocahontas in it or not? No sleep will be had until I open that bad boy for myself.

I actually do have a strange Pocahontas fetish I think, she lived in the town I lived in, and we were the same age, just obviously, a long time apart. And The New World is crazy incredible.

You guys don't understand; Derrick describing a game as "decent" is automatically GOTY by normal standards that aren't absurd beyond measure.

I'm sure I'll find better games this year than this one. I certainly hope so at least or else this year will make 2011 and 2012 look like 1998.

Derrick01
Mr. Hyperbole

Honestly though since you seem to mostly put emphasis on gameplay above everything else (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm kind of surprised you enjoyed this game as much as you did.

I'm super excited for Wii Fit U, and Disney Infinity. Is Pocahontas in it or not? No sleep will be had until I open that bad boy for myself.

I actually do have a strange Pocahontas fetish I think, she lived in the town I lived in, and we were the same age, just obviously, a long time apart. And The New World is crazy incredible.

Fine. Be stubborn. At least I know you're looking forward to TLoU. Watch yourself.

So a fellow jerk on GAF just sent me a PM that read [POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILER?]
DeWitt is Comstock
[POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILER?]

For those who have finished the game, (without possibly spoiling any more) will this pretty much ruin the story for me now? I haven't started the game yet.

This is something that was spoiled for me too! Not on GAF, somewhere else. Accidentally read it and my heart dropped. But based on what everyone here said in the last page that this won't ruin the ending/is the least of it, I'm okay with it.

Cyan, nuke the spoiler jerk from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, what didn't you like about Infinite? Try to keep it within 24k character limit please.

I didn't like the combat as it was too close to Bioshock 1 for me and there's far too much of it once it's introduced. Near the end when it was starting to get really ridiculous I said fuck it and bumped it down to medium so I could get through it faster. I had no interest in struggling with the combat anymore at that point.

I didn't like the scavenging for loot. It's exhausting and there's too much little junk that adds a little health or a little magic or a couple of dollars. Some of the special loot was hidden relatively well though and I appreciated those. Searching for audio diaries was fun too (missed 6 >.<)

I won't say I didn't like the story, only that it didn't really do anything for me. It didn't strike a negative or positive chord with me. I had a hard time remembering events and minor lines of speech that happened 20-30 minutes after I saw them because of how little I was into that part of the game after a few hours.

The art design was amazing though and some of the areas in the game were pretty well designed considering the type of game this is and the reality of the modern industry. Like I said it's not a bad game, just a relatively forgettable one (speaking about the long term there). It's a solid 6 or 7 game.

Zeliard

Should be done with the game today or tomorrow. Can't wait to join you guys in the spoiler thread. I imagine it's like Lost threads all over again :p

I didn't like the combat as it was too close to Bioshock 1 for me and there's far too much of it once it's introduced. Near the end when it was starting to get really ridiculous I said fuck it and bumped it down to medium so I could get through it faster. I had no interest in struggling with the combat anymore at that point.

I didn't like the scavenging for loot. It's exhausting and there's too much little junk that adds a little health or a little magic or a couple of dollars. Some of the special loot was hidden relatively well though and I appreciated those. Searching for audio diaries was fun too (missed 6 >.<)

I won't say I didn't like the story, only that it didn't really do anything for me. It didn't strike a negative or positive chord with me. I had a hard time remembering events and minor lines of speech that happened 20-30 minutes after I saw them because of how little I was into that part of the game after a few hours.

The art design was amazing though and some of the areas in the game were pretty well designed considering the type of game this is and the reality of the modern industry. Like I said it's not a bad game, just a relatively forgettable one (speaking about the long term there). It's a solid 6 or 7 game.
Hm. Thanks for the summary.
At least we can all agree that Infinite is a lot better than System Shock 2.
That's the game based on Halo, right?

LiK

7? Ok, GOTY

Zeliard

Zeliard, you haven't finished the game yet? How many hours into it are you?

Probably around a dozen or so. I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like. When I'm posting in here I often don't have access to the game at the time. I'll finish it up this weekend, no doubt.

Are there missable vigor uogrades? Some of the machines were offering to upgrade Possession, but I'm at a new area and that upgrade's gone?

LiK

I'm sure it will end up as our goty based on our record of almost constant disappointing choices of overrated games. I only wish I could at least see what impresses people about most of those games.
you loved it.

Are there missable vigor uogrades? Some of the machines were offering to upgrade Possession, but I'm at a new area and that upgrade's gone?

Anything you missed will be available later but they're scattered.

I'm sure it will end up as our goty based on our record of almost constant disappointing choices of overrated games. I only wish I could at least see what impresses people about most of those games.

overrated to who? you? Does it really bother you that much people like what you don't?

DatDude

Banned

If anything it's the narrative.

Honestly, it's probably one of the best constructed narratives in this medium. Play this on a second playthrough, and see the foreshadowing and all the small details scattered around the world (regarding the narrative). Play the original lighthouse scene again. The heads and tails scene. It all just clicks together. It's fucking amazing.

Top Bottom