• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

The music to me is very reminiscent of Greenwood's score in "There Will Be Blood", especially Songbirds theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zy9fvoR0ug

The seemingly erratic, yet tight percussion and twisted violin similarity is to a T. Coincidentally, both the game and the movie take place around the same time period.
He was totally aiming for Jonny G, at least in the beginning part. He even said so himself in an interview, if I remember correctly. Love it.

edit: Nevermind, it was Levine talking about it. Still, good stuff. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/12/the-music-of-bioshock-infinite

Andrew.

Banned
He was totally aiming for Jonny G, at least in the beginning part. He even said so himself in an interview, if I remember correctly. Love it.

edit: Nevermind, it was Levine talking about it. Still, good stuff. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/12/the-music-of-bioshock-infinite

Bam.

“To me, this game has much more of an American feel to it. We wanted a bit more of a frontier feel to it, slightly. It would be very easy to go in a bad direction with that. It could be very Civil War-y or very Wild West-y. The Bonanza theme. That kind of thing. It’s not what I wanted. I think probably the biggest inspiration for me was Johnny Greenwood’s score for There Will Be Blood. He’s one of the musicians in Radiohead. He did this wonderful, incredibly spare score. That was a good starting point. There’s some influence from the score for 12 Monkeys in Garry’s score. And then there’s just Garry.”

The music to me is very reminiscent of Greenwood's score in "There Will Be Blood", especially Songbirds theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zy9fvoR0ug

The seemingly erratic, yet tight percussion and twisted violin similarity is to a T. Coincidentally, both the game and the movie take place around the same time period.

Yeah there is definitely some inspiration from Greenwood, which is great because his score for TWBB is one of the best in years.

Also, the Songbird theme reminds me so much of his piece Convergence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJ3jfT3ypc

Zeliard

I really like undertow. I used the pull function more than anything. Guys behind cover? Snipers? Pull their asses over to you and start beating the crap out of them. You can shock them with storm gear immediately to hilarious effect, or if you have a melee build, melee them and get health + possibly salt.

Undertow is fantastic against anybody who's near a ledge (it's amazing against people on ships to just knock them off), and its alternate fire is wonderful against Handymen, snipers, and it also really came in handy during the second
Lady Comstock fight
(late game spoilars), where I used it to pull minions close to me to kill them. The upgrade that extends the range is invaluable.

The upgrade that pulls 3 enemies is also great. Just pull a group and watch them squirm in the air as you zap them.

SmithnCo

Undertow is fantastic against anybody who's near a ledge (it's amazing against people on ships to just knock them off), and its alternate fire is wonderful against Handymen, snipers, and it also really came in handy during the second
Lady Comstock fight
(late game spoilars), where I used it to pull minions close to me to kill them. The upgrade that extends the range is invaluable.

Yeah, the range upgrade is pretty necessary for that one. Helps if you like to take encounters slow because you can stay behind cover and pull groups toward you to kill them individually.

Normally I never know what to do with the little trinkets that come with limited editions of games (I have no idea what to do with the small Handyman figurine), but I found the perfect place to put the Murder of Crows keychain.

vaMoYRm.jpg

Love it!

Zeliard

Yeah, the range upgrade is pretty necessary for that one. Helps if you like to take encounters slow because you can stay behind cover and pull groups toward you to kill them individually.

I think the single most enjoyable use of Undertow though is to push someone off a Skyrail. So hilarious when they're speeding down at you on a Skyrail and you just send the fuckers flying.

Andrew.

Banned
I think the single most enjoyable use of Undertow though is to push someone off a Skyrail. So hilarious when they're speeding down at you on a Skyrail and you just send the fuckers flying.

I love using it while they're on the airships. Using it during the second Handyman fight and towards the end was perfection.

I found it to be pretty fun, especially after a couple playthroughs to familiarize myself with enemy locations and tactics. You just have to take it a bit slower and use your vigors/surroundings a bit more.

Its the new re4 Pro mode.

Basically the way to play the game. Anything less, would be uncivilized.

And I cannot reiterate enough how crucial Crow Trap is in 99.

So I should proceed directly to 1999 mode before playing hard? I'm very comfortable with shooters and haven't had much trouble with normal, which I'm almost complete.

Some parts have been stumbling blocks though
ie. lady comstock
until I figured out to just spam the upgraded bucking bronco. I still find
handymen
really difficult though.

Edit: man, it sounds like all the vigors are really usable. i've been neglecting some of them, but I'm happy to see that basically all of them are totally workable. I'd like to try charge, but i really don't want to replace possession or bucking bronco.

Andrew.

Banned
So I should proceed directly to 1999 mode before playing hard? I'm very comfortable with shooters and haven't had much trouble with normal, which I'm almost complete.

ie. lady comstock
handymen
really difficult though.

Just play on 99 and come here if you have issues. Im going through it right now after initially playing on hard and doing cleanup on normal. Its fucking fantastic.

StuBurns

Banned
Infinite on PC is the most pirated item on PirateBay at the moment, it'll be slaughtered by Game of Thrones tomorrow, but that's an interesting thing I think.

SmithnCo

ie. lady comstock
handymen
really difficult though.

Handymen are a pain, luckily you can cheese at least one fight with one with Return to Sender. Just remember that you can usually outrun them to find supplies if you need to, and use crows to stun them. Plus there's usually helpful tears like decoys that will distract them.

papercamm

ie. lady comstock
handymen
really difficult though.

Edit: man, it sounds like all the vigors are really usable. i've been neglecting some of them, but I'm happy to see that basically all of them are totally workable. I'd like to try charge, but i really don't want to replace possession or bucking bronco.

I went straight to 99 after hard mode, it's crazy fun, and the challenge is much more rewarding than what hard mode presented

Trigger

I never found blood to salt on my first playthrough. I'm about 1/3 thru my 2nd run, and I still haven't found it. I'm kinda jelly.

Sallokin

Shit, I missed two recordings. Can I go back and reload chapters to grab things I missed (like infusions etc) or do I have to replay from the start to do a full collect-o-thon?

Andrew.

Banned
Undertow pull + tesla coil tear = Handyman am cry on 1999

I lucked out man. He glitched on some column and I could pick him off a bit beyond the coil.

Unless the AI was smart enough to stay back, yet dumb enough to get caught on something (which is believable considering the first HM can be cheesed as well).

Undertowing guys off airships is so good. Especially sending two rocket launcher assholes into the cloudy abyss with one strike.

I knew I was doing something wrong, I usually Bucking Broncoed them and pushed them off with bullets.

I promise not to use bronco in my 1999.
I will have to relearn how to play the game, lol

I lucked out man. He glitched on some column and I could pick him off a bit beyond the coil.

Unless the AI was smart enough to stay back, yet dumb enough to get caught on something (which is believable considering the first HM can be cheesed as well).

In my first playthrough, the second Handyman fight was super easy because for some reason the Handyman stayed in one spot and just looked at me. I landed on a sniper spot and picked up a sniper rifle, and I guess it glitched or didn't have an AI pathway to get up to where I was, because it just stood and looked at me the entire time I was sniping it. Now THAT was cheese.

Zeliard

I did have one Handyman who just disappeared on me. He was really low on health so he may have died, but I never found his body, and I'm not sure what he could have died from since I had no more traps around. Possible he just fell off :p

I knew I was doing something wrong, I usually Bucking Broncoed them and pushed them off with bullets.

I promise not to use bronco in my 1999

In lieu of Undertow - if you don't have it yet - you can use Bucking Bronco and then melee them and they'll go flying.

rabhw

Any tips on turrets in 1999 mode? If I possess them, they rarely are killed by the enemies around them (early in the game), so my only option is to run past them, or take pot shots at them until they finally explode, which wastes a lot of ammo...

SmithnCo

Any tips on turrets in 1999 mode? If I possess them, they rarely are killed by the enemies around them (early in the game), so my only option is to run past them, or take pot shots at them until they finally explode, which wastes a lot of ammo...

Shock jockey + shooting makes them more vulnerable I think.

Early on I usually bit the bullet and took potshots, I wasn't hurting too much in terms of ammo.

Dylan

Don't forget that turrets and mechanical patriots take way less damage when they are possessed, so don't waste ammo shooting them until they are hostile again.

Andrew.

Banned
In my first playthrough, the second Handyman fight was super easy because for some reason the Handyman stayed in one spot and just looked at me. I landed on a sniper spot and picked up a sniper rifle, and I guess it glitched or didn't have an AI pathway to get up to where I was, because it just stood and looked at me the entire time I was sniping it. Now THAT was cheese.

I did have one Handyman who just disappeared on me. He was really low on health so he may have died, but I never found his body, and I'm not sure what he could have died from since I had no more traps around. Possible he just fell off :p

Infinite possibilities.

Sullichin

Started playing Bioshock again after beating this. Game still looks great and the gameplay stands up, but Infinite's combat is much better. It's interesting to see how they evolved these mechanics, and looking back it's really impressive that they managed to top Bioshock's intro.

EDIT: And while I liked it on my first playthrough, an hour into Bioshock again and I'm already incredibly sick of the hacking. It leads to some fun possibilities like poisoning enemies when they try to heal and siccing robots on enemies, but the minigame got tired real fast. I'm glad that's gone in Infinite.

Maybe I've missed something but when exactly do the Vox
revolt
? I've just got to
Finkton

Guess I'm asking coz I'm confused between the different enemies I've been killing. Some wear normal police attire, others what look like riot police attire, then the were the
Order of the Raven dudes
, guys draped with the Columbia flag - are these
Slate's
guys only?

Anyone else surprised by the relative lack of
side quests
in this game? I'm not actually saying it needs them, and may be better for it, but I'm just surprised in this day and age by their absence. Plus, I must admit it'd be lovely to have them to explore other facets of the world a bit more.

ezekial45

Banned
side quests
in this game? I'm not actually saying it needs them, and may be better for it, but I'm just surprised in this day and age by their absence. Plus, I must admit it'd be lovely to have them to explore other facets of the world a bit more.

Yeah, that's one of the things I was disappointed with. The city of Columbia was practically screaming for that kind of content, but it never happened. That's one thing that Bioshock 1 and even 2 has over this.

side quests

I think what was weirder, was how they existed but there were only like 2 or 3 of them. If you're going to make that mechanic and do so little with it, might as well cut it out entirely.

Gorillaz

side quests

That actually pissed me off. But with the game going through all the trouble it did, it makes sense that some things didn't make it, for the sake of getting the game out the door.

Did you get the achievement? :p

DSmalls84

Hmm Kinda want to play it through a third time just to try out the remaining vigors I haven't used. I know some people are critical of the gameplay, but I really enjoy it. There is enough of a sandbox element to keep the encounters interesting on repeat runs.

I also saw that crazy low-res texture people were posting from the consoles version in my pc version lol.

Dylan

side quests

Sidequests are usually just re-uses of encouter-types and environments that have already been designed in the main campaign. I'm glad they didn't do that in BI.

What I wouldn't have minded though, would have been some kind of battle-arena / practice that allowed for experimentation with vigors and weapons.

I absolutely love this game, just fucking adore it, but for the sake of of finding something there are a few black marks:

The difficulty is poorly balanced. Medium is stupidly easy, but Hard has spikes that send me back. Far too big a gap between the two.

The level changing screens seem so... anachronistic.

There's a significant amount of simplistic enemy wave encounters, which kinda prevents this game from going top tier (joining Half-Life) for me. Seems cheesy, but in fairness it does seem to a trait of Bioshock games.

That damn goal banner that smacks the top of the screen every time. So hamfisted.

... that's really all I got though. A fantastic game and right up there with the best.

FartOfWar

Banned
Your favorite guns and vigors have nothing to do with the fact that literally every enemy runs directly towards you. Modern FPS/TPS that actually have decent gameplay eliminated this issue a long time ago. The AI is almost straight out of the first Doom.

Demonstrably (not subjectively) incorrect. On some fabricated shit. It's fine to not like, awesome to critique it, but why resort to patent falsehood?

Eusis

I was instantly reminded of Chrono Trigger with the opening tutorial fair that doubles as cool world-building, and is also totally optional.

You just wait! ;)
Haha, start the game being reminded of Chrono Trigger, end the game
being reminded of Chrono Cross.

Trying again on 1999 and focusing all on shields at first DOES seem to have improved the ability to enjoy the game. probably should've done Normal -> Hard -> 1999 or at least Normal -> 1999. Ah well.

ZeroRay

Beat the game. Prettay, prettay good.

As I've alluded to before, the combat in this game works best when all the elements (vigors, skylines, tears) are available for you to use. Too bad 60% of the fights aren't as well designed and just feel like filler to get to the next point. Perhaps playing on hard or 1999 mode would mitigate my complaints...or accentuate them.

Ending was spectacular.
I love stories dealing with time and alternate realities. This was by far the best one in a game, obviously. I kinda knew where the ending was heading when Booker killed Comstock; Booker really reminded me of Captain Walker in that scene. The magnitude of the ending I was actually expecting, after all, Infinite is the tag line, but I didn't expect Booker's past/present/future to be what it was.
Bravo Irrational.

Now time to read through that almost 6000 post monstrosity.

Haha, start the game being reminded of Chrono Trigger, end the game
being reminded of Chrono Cross.

Haha, never even crossed my mind but so true.

Top Bottom