• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Great. I may have inadvertently stumbled into a spoiler while looking up a track from the OST.

I went to look up the music used in the baptism scene at the beginning, so I typed in "Bioshock Infinite Baptism." Sure enough, I saw a quick glance of a SECOND baptism outdoors...or what looked like one.

I saw just a second of it and closed my laptop. Big spoiler?

Great. I may have inadvertently stumbled into a spoiler while looking up a track from the OST.

I went to look up the music used in the baptism scene at the beginning, so I typed in "Bioshock Infinite Baptism." Sure enough, I saw a quick glance of a SECOND baptism outdoors...or what looked like one."

Context is necessary, so you shouldn't worry.

Andrew.

Banned

I went to look up the music used in the baptism scene at the beginning, so I typed in "Bioshock Infinite Baptism." Sure enough, I saw a quick glance of a SECOND baptism outdoors...or what looked like one.

Nah, dont worry about it.

Yeah it's only ridiculous if you completely ignore the fact that everyone is gushing over Infinite due to it's narrative. Many people have issues with the gameplay, but they overlook it because "the story is so great!!!!". The Walking Dead has zero gameplay, and people gush over it because "the story is so great!!!". You cannot seriously state that this game is a refined shooter in any respect. It's passable at best just to get you on to the next story marker.
Just because people enjoyed the story the most out of both of those games doesn't mean the complaints were the same for Walking Dead and Infinite. Some people had a problem with the gameplay in Walking Dead because they said there wasn't enough there to make it feel like a game. Peoples complaints over Infinite's gameplay are that it doesn't fit the style of the game or they think it's mediocre. But it doesn't mean they think the gameplay isn't there. It's a completely different issue between the two games. The only comparison is that people enjoyed the narrative more then the gameplay for both.

SmithnCo

Nope. Without context it means nothing.

Sanctuary

i guess the conservations i've had in this thread with other posters about what my favorites guns and vigors were and how we used them were totally made up

Your favorite guns and vigors have nothing to do with the fact that literally every enemy runs directly towards you. Modern FPS/TPS that actually have decent gameplay eliminated this issue a long time ago. The AI is almost straight out of the first Doom, and Elizabeth is definitely not the Alyx she was hyped up to be. Vigors might be a fun gimmick, but they aren't actually a required element to finish the game. At least not outside of 1999.

Just because people enjoyed the story the most out of both of those games doesn't mean the complaints were the same for Walking Dead and Infinite. Some people had a problem with the gameplay in Walking Dead because they said there wasn't enough there to make it feel like a game. Peoples complaints over Infinite's gameplay are that it doesn't fit the style of the game or they think it's mediocre. But it doesn't mean they think the gameplay isn't there. It's a completely different issue between the two games. The only comparison is that people enjoyed the narrative more then the gameplay for both.

The entire point is that people don't seem to mind how the gameplay is because of the narrative. Narrative > gameplay in both cases.

vladdamad

OK guys, about to start a 1999 mode playthrough. Anyone got any tips, which vigors to use, etc? Thinking of upgrading possession first, should come in handy. apparently the sniper/shotgun combo is also good

Your favorite guns and vigors have nothing to do with the fact that literally every enemy runs directly towards you. Modern FPS/TPS that are actually good eliminated this issue a long time ago. The AI is almost straight out of the first Doom, and Elizabeth is definitely not the Alyx she was hyped up to be.

except your original point was that nobody was talking about the gameplay for bioshock infinite and that everyone was gushing about the story and that it was similar to the walking dead game

that was proven hilariously wrong

keep moving the goalposts to justify your false narrative doe

Andrew.

Banned
OK guys, about to start a 1999 mode playthrough. Anyone got any tips, which vigors to use, etc? Thinking of upgrading possession first, should come in handy. apparently the sniper/shotgun combo is also good

Been using the machine gun and shotty primarily. I only powered possession to make enemies suicide themselves. Everything else has been dumped into Charge Aid, Crow traps, Bronco Chain and a damage increase for Devils Kiss. I also bought the weapon upgrades for the pistol, shotgun and machine gun.

Decide what youre going to focus on weapon and vigor-wise early on so you know what to dump your money into. You really cant afford to be waste the coins, especially if you're not going to be using Dollar Bill machines.

scitek

Yeah it's only ridiculous if you completely ignore the fact that everyone is gushing over Infinite due to it's narrative. Many people have issues with the gameplay, but they overlook it because "the story is so great!!!!". The Walking Dead has zero gameplay, and people gush over it because "the story is so great!!!". You cannot seriously state that this game is a refined shooter in any respect. It's passable at best just to get you on to the next story marker.

I agree with you on the point of it not being a very refined shooter, but I can see how people might enjoy the heck out of the gameplay if they bother to learn what every Vigor does, and take the time to change things up with them and make the most of their experience. It does have some freedom to move about and take guys out however you see fit, but I didn't ever feel compelled to bother doing so when I was more into the story than the gameplay.

This may seem like an odd comparison, but I'm one of those people that enjoys the hell out of the Crysis games, and I also see people saying they're boring and generic, but I couldn't disagree more (as far as the gameplay). I feel like I'd be one of those people, though, if I just flatly labeled BioShock Infinite a "bad shooter" because I think a lot of what you get out of it depends on how much you put into it -- much like Crysis -- and the only real difference between the two to me is, for those who don't feel compelled to be creative with the gameplay, BioShock Infinite at least has a good story to enjoy. If you weren't feeling the gameplay in Crysis 3, you sure as shit didn't care to finish it.

SmithnCo

Possession upgrades are a must. It will be very useful throughout the entire game. Return to Sender is immensely useful for the final battle and getting out of scrapes, plus taking down the heavy dudes. Charge and crows were also very useful, though by the end chapters I found I had stopped using crows in favor of Return to Sender.

Blood to Salt and Vampire's Embrace gear can help you get out of scrapes, Vampire's Embrace is pretty good when combined with stuff like Electric Punch and Deadly Lungers.

I think people's opinions of the gameplay really change based on what vigors/gear they use. In my first run I used mostly guns and crows, which was pretty boring, but in other paythroughs, I mixed it up and came out with a higher opinion of the gameplay.
I don't think it's the vigors. I've said before that Infinite has a fun curve: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. If you run through the game using guns and the occasional, vigor, it'll probably seem unremarkable. If you're using skyhooks, tears, skyrails, vigors, and weapons, it's GREAT.

beastmode

Not me. The story is dumb but sometimes the combat is on the level of RE4.

Sanctuary

I don't think it's the vigors. I've said before that Infinite has a fun curve: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. If you run through the game using guns and the occasional, vigor, it'll probably seem unremarkable. If you're using skyhooks, tears, skyrails, vigors, and weapons, it's GREAT.

You just described Skyrim. As though it's the player's responsibility to actually make the gameplay fun, instead of it already having some kind of addictive hook to begin with. "Oh, it's just you. The game is great. You just have to go searching for it!".

Jharp

Yeah, fuck 1999 mode. Maybe I'm shit at games, but this is outright not fun.

I know I can load chapters I've already finished, but doing so loads them in 1999 mode, so I can't change the difficulty down to hard. If I start a new game on hard, will it still let me jump to chapters or am I fucked and have to run the entire game up to where I'm at? How does it handle my previous choices?

EDIT: In the .ini files in My Games/BioShock Infinite, there's a value for difficulty. For me it was set at 4, and based on another value that had the default difficulty set to 2, I assumed that 2 was medium and 4 was 1999. I changed it to 3, but it did nothing in-game.

Andrew.

Banned

I know I can load chapters I've already finished, but doing so loads them in 1999 mode, so I can't change the difficulty down to hard. If I start a new game on hard, will it still let me jump to chapters or am I fucked and have to run the entire game up to where I'm at? How does it handle my previous choices?

EDIT: In the .ini files in My Games/BioShock Infinite, there's a value for difficulty. For me it was set at 4, and based on another value that had the default difficulty set to 2, I assumed that 2 was medium and 4 was 1999. I changed it to 3, but it did nothing in-game.

That part isnt THAT bad dude. Just stick with it and use the strategy I gave you. Whatd you spend all of your Infusions on? Have you gotten them all so far?

Trigger

Oh god I finally beat the game..

Dat ending. I had a feeling I knew the twist, but I wasn't ready for it.
r4CiE.png

B-Dex

Have to start over. It even warns you when you pick 1999 that you won't be able to change difficulty.

You cannot seriously state that this game is a refined shooter in any respect. It's passable at best just to get you on to the next story marker.
I cannot stand idle and let this pass. As a designer and a lover of the complexities that make video games tick, Bioshock infinite's (hell, video games in general) gunplay enticed me more than the narrative. The responsiveness while using both the controller inputs and M+K inputs share their similarities by offering fast input speeds and quick navigation, but offer different systems that work separably to ultimately accomplish a similar roll; fast paced action when swift and stylish violence is a necessity to the plot. More so, the combo systems melded with the loot systems offer high variability of play that encourage experimentation that leads to solving the combat puzzle quicker. On top of variability through loot, tears balance out the roll that a player chooses to roll. I'm one of those mid maxing nuts that plays video games with hitpoint graphics displayed and enjoys wrangling groups and AI paths into finding my traps that I've set. I plan on returning to Columbia (on an easier difficulty) to experience what the game feels like when its not kicking my ass.

Take what I say as you will for I respect our opinion, but offer an ultimatum.

Stop generalizations and reductionism by the source by offering grounds.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd love to know what shooters Sanctuary is playing, like Fear, Fear 2? That's about it really in terms of notably better mechanical shooting I think.

I certainly agree Elizabeth is no Alyx though.

Jharp

That part isnt THAT bad dude. Just stick with it and use the strategy I gave you. Whatd you spend all of your Infusions on? Have you gotten them all so far?

Yeah, made the first wave much easier. Didn't do much for the second waves because either crow dude is holding me down and fucking me, or ranged dudes are chipping away at my health.

Have to start over. It even warns you when you pick 1999 that you won't be able to change difficulty.

...right, I noted as much. The game does not, however, make it clear whether or not the load chapter function is disabled upon beginning a new game, and seeing as I'm on PC, there are typically .ini files or console settings that can be edited when it comes to these matters, hence why I was asking.

papercamm

Earlier I thought Blood for Salt was the one that drains health and transfers it into salt. I've actually been using it for a while and it's definitley one of the best gears in the game.
Blood for salt that is.

You just described Skyrim.
No I didn't. Skyrim's combat is clunky for one, though player movement could be smoother in Infinite.
As though it's the player's responsibility to actually make the gameplay fun, instead of it already having some kind of addictive hook to begin with. "Oh, it's just you. The game is great. You just have to go searching for it!".
Skyhooks, what weapon you use, skyrails, vigors and tears are all options for the player to utilize. How is one supposed to design a game for an FPS that makes you all of these to their fullest potential without being annoying? It's a sandbox game. From your posts it seems you don't like sandbox games – and that's okay! – but don't blame the game for how much of the freedom you choose to use.
I cannot stand idle and let this pass. As a designer and a lover of the complexities that make video games tick, Bioshock infinite's (hell, video games in general) gunplay enticed me more than the narrative. The responsiveness while using both the controller inputs and M+K inputs share their similarities by offering fast input speeds and quick navigation, but offer different systems that work separably to ultimately accomplish a similar roll; fast paced action when swift and stylish violence is a necessity to the plot. More so, the combo systems melded with the loot systems offer high variability of play that encourage experimentation that leads to solving the combat puzzle quicker. On top of variability through loot, tears balance out the roll that a player chooses to roll. I'm one of those mid maxing nuts that plays video games with hitpoint graphics displayed and enjoys wrangling groups and AI paths into finding my traps that I've set. I plan on returning to Columbia (on an easier difficulty) to experience what the game feels like when its not kicking my ass.

Take what I say as you will for I respect your opinion, but offer an ultimatum.

Well said.

Milchjon

360 version playable?

Why of course.

Had some slowdowns in one single later area (Don't read before playing)
Comstock's Zeppelin
, but otherwise it's fine. Obviously, if you hate using a gamepad for FPS or have a capable PC, it's not the best choice, but it still looks and plays great.

Ein Bear

Can't help but wonder what the point is in having the 2 weapon limit when Elizabeth chucks you a sniper rifle or whatever when you arrive at a suitable area anyway. The carry limit is probably the only complaint I have so far.

Milchjon

Gosh, I thought I was being careful, but I still missed a shit load of stuff. Going in for a second playthrough on easy. :D

I missed tons, but have no idea where. Even on the second playthrough, I didn't find much more.
Maybe I should use a walkthrough if I ever decide to play a third time.

Syrinx

Hmm. I'm both glad and a bit disappointed that the Voxophones seem to have been hidden a lot better. On one hand, more secrets and hidden stuff to find in the environments is always welcome. On the other, dammit I wanna hear aaaaalllllll of 'em.

GorillaJu

Take what I say as you will for I respect our opinion, but offer an ultimatum.

Thank you. I couldn't put my thoughts to words here but you've hit the nail on the head. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable backlash that every game seems to receive after the initial wave of hype dies down. I didn't like seeing my baby Dishonored suffer for it.

ultron87

Handyman fights on Hard seem kind of dumb. There's no finesse to just constantly running away and shooting when you have a chance. There isn't a good way to manage the situation at all so it just feels like a big mess. Unless there's some Vigor combination I haven't tried or something, but none of them seem to do anything.

neoism

Any chance if multiplayer DLC? I feel like this game could use more replay value

lol IR games doesn't waste their time with shitty multi in a single player game.. so I doubt it... the game doesn't need it. two play-throughs will net you over 35 hours easily... plus with all the dlc coming you'll probably get 60 hours....

This game... so good. I'm not rushing, picking up everything I see on the way. Is there a lot of backtracking? I don't like to visit previously seen areas in shooters.

gdt

lol IR games doesn't waste their time with shitty multi in a single player game.. so I doubt it... the game doesn't need it. two play-throughs will net you over 35 hours easily... plus with all the dlc coming you'll probably get 60 hours....

oh the irony

GorillaJu

I don't think it matters if you're a developer, a gamer or a dvelopment studio janitor: bad mechanics are bad mechanics. I, personally, cannot grasp how you find what's here, mechanically, to be even remotely solid. You descried a lot of 'whats' and yes, you may be right; the execution, however, is bad. Being able to experiement is good ad all but being fun to do is an entirely different thing. I find it amusing that you're defeding this while also admitting that the game is kicking your ass. This leaves the impressions that despite your foresight into how 'amazing' the gunplay is, you know not what to do with it so much that you have to lower difficulty.

Unless of course, I am completely misinterpreting what you're saying.

It's been awhile since i've seen a game be so divisive.

It's not that divisive of a game. It's just a vocal minority. As usual, the vast majority are busy playing and enjoying it, or don't feel the necessity to argue and debate its merits because they're aware of their enjoyment and aren't required to justify it.

Or just use the loadout i posted earlier and kill it in ten seconds flat.

Stop telling people how to cheat your game. Also, I imagine the feedback you're getting on here could give you enough information to write a dissertation about consumer psychology in the video game industry. I imagine you had a list of things you expected to hear and are probably getting a good laugh from the way the discussion has gone.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd love to have seen competitive multiplayer. I take it they didn't want to do anything too conventional, but there's so much potential for some crazy class based stuff. Even just horde mode would be pretty wild with everyone thrashing out vigors.

SmithnCo

I'd love to have seen competitive multiplayer. I take it they didn't want to do anything too conventional, but there's so much potential for some crazy class based stuff. Even just horde mode would be pretty wild with everyone thrashing out vigors.

Horde mode would be amazing, haha. I imagine it would be a screen full of flaming crows and electricity everywhere.

Zeliard

How did plasmids work in Bio2 multi anyway? I never tried the MP out. I assume there weren't any effects like stuns and such.

Neiteio

Someone here said the game ends on such a high note that you overlook its flaws. I don't think that's the case. Not for me, anyways. I was perfectly content through the whole game, including
the triple ghost beatdown
. The spoilered bit still had new locations and new revelations, so I don't see why some thought it was such a bother. The overarching area in that chapter was an Arcadia-style hub, as well, with many optional shops and apartments, which should appease those who were wanting more open-ended areas.

At any rate, here's the formula to why I feel this game just WORKS:

1) Taking in the sights and sounds: Seeing the architectural marvels and monuments, the bits and pieces of propaganda, the sometimes humorous NPCs, and the way the environment contextualizes their lives, makes Columbia feel like a real place. I wildly enjoyed Metal Gear Rising, probably my GOTY up to this point, but something Infinite (and also Luigi's Mansion 2) have showed me is I really crave wonderous worlds in videogames. It's the element that made, say, Ocarina of Time so immersive back in the day.

2) The simple act of MOVING: Just the right amount of screen-tilting and gun-bobbing as you sprint. Your gun is held against your chest in non-combat, heightening the sense that you're just walking around, surveying your surroundings. Jumping has a smooth sense of momentum and control, to the point I like leaping off stairwells, just for fun. Every action is silky smooth.

3) The addictive act of looting: Some people here complained it felt like house-cleaning, but I loved looting in BioShock 1 and 2, and I love looting in Infinite. It's the only time "grinding" feels fun in game with RPG elements, imo, and that's essentially what it is, the silver dollars acting as EXP you can cash in for new weapons, spells and upgrades. Whenever I reach a new area, I survey it, plundering every cabinet, desk, trashcan, corspe, etc, as I go. It makes me feel like I've "charted" new territory, all while powering my character up, in a sense, and adding extra purpose to exploring every nook and cranny.

4) The combat is FUN: Always has been in the BioShock series, but the guns have never handled better than they have in Infinite. Also, not a spell is wasted -- each vigor has a primary and secondary use, and I can see them all being useful in one way or another. All of this being said, I think BioShock 1 and 2 did more to encourage elaborate death traps, although you can drive your enemies out of cover -- or drag them! Of course, the skyrails, the melee executions, and Elizabeth transforming the environment at your command, adding cover or skyhooks or traps or supplies, is quite compelling indeed.

In terms of the overall journey, Infinite gets it right: The game has excellent pacing, and never feels rushed or repetitive in design like the latter half of BioShock 1, nor does it get off to a slow start like BioShock 2, a game that only continues to accelerates but takes a while reaching its top speed. Infinite is consistently interesting. I never felt overwhelmed by shootouts, either. I'd say, on average, that for every area where you fight, there are three to four areas you simply "inhabit" at your leisure, drinking up the details. That's a good balance indeed.

papercamm

Kind of like what Mass Effect 3 has going on?

SmithnCo

How did plasmids work in Bio2 multi anyway? I never tried the MP out. I assume there weren't any effects like stuns and such.

I think there were... Been a while since I played it. It was kinda fun to set traps and watch people walk into them and be sent up in a geyser.

Zeliard

I hope they do a post-mortem on this game. I'd love to hear more about its development, and what kind of stuff didn't make it in, and made it in that almost didn't. Hearing about their struggles with Elizabeth was interesting to listen to.

Top Bottom