• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Finished it earlier. Great game. Much better pacing than 1/2 (though the middle section was a little tedious imo) and improved gunplay. Breathtaking experience as usual, but I prefer Rapture overall to Columbia. The ending was gorgeous though. Just gorgeous. I will replay this on a harder difficulty sometime.

This game... so good. I'm not rushing, picking up everything I see on the way. Is there a lot of backtracking? I don't like to visit previously seen areas in shooters.

You need to do some backtracking for optional quests (chests, deciphering with code books etc). The full narrative doesn't demand much backtracking though.

Protip for Handymen: try the crows. It works wonders.

I tried everything, lightning, fire, and nothing seemed to work. The. I deduced that, since his VO is always complaining, saying how it hurts and all that, crows might serve to annoy. Creative thinking!

Also in regards to the combat, to me it feels excellent. It feels very 'skill based' a la Quake with a huge spoonful of tactical positioning. It also feels 'weighty.' I love it.

I don't think it matters if you're a developer, a gamer or a dvelopment studio janitor: bad mechanics are bad mechanics. I, personally, cannot grasp how you find what's here, mechanically, to be even remotely solid. You descried a lot of 'whats' and yes, you may be right; the execution, however, is bad. Being able to experiement is good ad all but being fun to do is an entirely different thing. I find it amusing that you're defeding this while also admitting that the game is kicking your ass. This leaves the impressions that despite your foresight into how good' the gunplay is, you know not what to do with it so much that you have to lower difficulty.

Unless of course, I am completely misinterpreting what you're saying.

It's been awhile since i've seen a game be so divisive.

I have completed the game on hard and when saying that its "kicking my ass" I'm referring to the fact that hard was hard. It was hard only in parts when new enemies were introduced and panic began to settle in. By the end of the game I had learned their weaknesses which made the boss rush pretty easy. Mega Man comes to mind. When I say I'll do an easy playthrough it means being able to waltz through sections full of former healthbar draining enemies while looking through all of the little shoppes and what not. plus I only found 64 voxaphones and I gotta collect em all.

Thank you. I couldn't put my thoughts to words here but you've hit the nail on the head. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable backlash that every game seems to receive after the initial wave of hype dies down. I didn't like seeing my baby Dishonored suffer for it.

Dishonoured suffered as well

13613543951439936233.GIF

Fuck Nick

RetroMG

Quick question. I have been playing this on my PC, running it through to my TV. Yesterday my wife gave me the go-ahead to buy a 3D TV... Everything I see on this game is that the PS3 version supports 3D... does the PC version?

Neiteio

For the DLC, I'm hoping for something like Minerva's Den in BioShock 2: Playing as all-new characters in all-new parts of Columbia, but learning more about characters and concepts from the main campaign in the process.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait til the boss fights...
Just beat (MAJOR LATE GAME SPOILERS)
'Liz "mother"
(MAJOR LATE GAME SPOILERS) and everything's been too easy - yes, even the boss fights.

Andrew.

Banned
For the DLC, I'm hoping for something like Minerva's Den in BioShock 2: Playing as all-new characters in all-new parts of Columbia, but learning more about characters and concepts from the main campaign in the process.

Yeah I was thinking one from the perspective of a Vox, one from the perspective of a Founder, and one from the perspective of...Songbird.

Neiteio

Just got to Shantytown, how much to go? It's so good I'm afraid it'll end too soon...
You still have half of the game to go, maybe a bit more.

Yeah I was thinking one from the perspective of a Vox, one from the perspective of a Founder, and one from the perspective of...Songbird.
That's so whacky it might just work! Playing as a Handyman might work, too. Sympathetic monsters, those guys.

I've played about 5 hours on the 360 and just had the opportunity to see what it was like on the PC and it has kind of ruined the rest of the experience for me.

It's not the better graphics that ruins it, it's just how unresponsive it is on the 360. It's like night and day, comparing the two experiences.

StuBurns

Banned
I want
the alternate reality Bookers, I want to lead the Vox to war, I want to abandon Elizabeth to Comstock's imprisonment etc

I gotcha.

Guys, quick question: Not to derail thread but is dishonored worth a go?

Finished it this morning, gotta say I personally liked Dishonored more. Maybe it was the freedom, the powers of Corvo. Maybe my expectations were too high. Enjoyed it, but Bioshock Infinite did not impress me the way the original did.

Haven't seen a ton of people talking about 1999 mode. Would it be worth playing through on 2nd play if the first was on normal? Are people enjoying it? I remember Levine saying some shit like "it wouldn't feel like bioshock."

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I finished the game last night at around 3:00 am. Then I loaded up the end scenes again from the chapter menu and played through that part again. So very awesome. I have to say for once I am glad that I fell into the hype and ridiculous reviews and preordered the game. Even as of a month ago I was pretty iffy on the game.

I can't really say that I had that much of a problem with the combat gameplay. It is much more satisfying to me than the first game (I still need to play 2). I think what I like about it is that it is hitting that same sweet spot that the first Crysis did for me. Chaining different vigors and weapons is a lot of fun. Heck, I didn't really mess around with melee combat until the end at a section where I was running out of ammo. I changed my gear to be melee focus and just went to town and was having a blast, which then started to get me to start using different vigors than what I had been relying on. Throw in all of the sky-rails, tears, and environmental hazards, and I ended up finding the combat to be a much larger sandbox than I was expecting (even if the game itself was less of one compared to Bioshock). And I loved it.

I also can't say enough about the art. Looking back at my Steam time, I probably could have finished the game much earlier, but I had to keep stopping to look at everything. Actually, seeing how I missed several voxophones, there must have been several things I missed, which sort of surprises me.

Finally I felt this game had a much stronger story that I was every expecting. Even after playing the first few hours, I never expected it to get as deep as it did. I am really looking forward to going through the spoiler thread and seeing how everyone else interpreted it.

SmithnCo

Haven't seen a ton of people talking about 1999 mode. Would it be worth playing through on 2nd play if the first was on normal? Are people enjoying it? I remember Levine saying some shit like "it wouldn't feel like bioshock."

I found it to be pretty fun, especially after a couple playthroughs to familiarize myself with enemy locations and tactics. You just have to take it a bit slower and use your vigors/surroundings a bit more.

Andrew.

Banned

Its the new re4 Pro mode.

Basically the way to play the game. Anything less, would be uncivilized.

And I cannot reiterate enough how crucial Crow Trap is in 99.

DSmalls84

Its the new re4 Pro mode.

Basically the way to play the game. Anything less, would be uncivilized.

And I cannot reiterate enough how crucial Crow Trap is in 99.

Crow traps are pretty good but I found myself using them almost exclusively In handyman fights. The good thing is that it seems pretty much all the vigors are viable for 1999 mode.

SmithnCo

Crow traps are pretty good but I found myself using them almost exclusively In handyman fights. The good thing is that it seems pretty much all the vigors are viable for 1999 mode.

Yeah, they did really well with the vigor balance in this one. Unlike Bioshock 2 where I just ran around and shot bees everywhere and killed everyone. Pretty much every vigor is viable in some way.

Andrew.

Banned

Now that Im familiar with the big battles, I lay them out in specific spots before things start getting really intense with the gunfire, and so I can find cover.

Im now at the point where I can afford, yet cant decide if I want the Undertow aid, the Crow upgrade to stun longer or to save for the Possession upgrade that everyone is raving about.

SmithnCo

Now that Im familiar with the big battles, I lay them out in specific spots before things start getting really intense with the gunfire, and so I can find cover.

Im now at the point where I can afford, yet cant decide if I want the Undertow aid, the Crow upgrade to stun longer or to save for the Possession upgrade that everyone is raving about.

Possession for less makes that vigor so much more viable. It's really useful because not only does it confirm that a regular enemy will kill themselves, but it also takes the heat off of you while they aim at him.

Mindlog

Kind of like what Mass Effect 3 has going on?
Yes. Both games have a group of vocal detractors talking about combat deficiencies that I am completely disconnected with. Both games combine guns, powers and loadouts in a way that varies combat far beyond what a typical combat experience offers. Despite structural problems I had more fun with ME3's combat than most of the other games that are routinely presented as, 'Best of the Best.'

I have played far more ME3 MP than any other similar game this generation. Battlefield 1943 is second.

Infinite strikes me much the same way. I agree there are too many encounters and that possibly the game is too long. However, the powers were fun and varied, limited ammo promotes multiple weapon use and the rails opened up levels tremendously... Fry.

What bugged me more about Infinite is that a lot of creativity can be tied to gears. As far as I know gear is hidden in the environment and each piece is randomly selected. I am not a fan. I would have much preferred some sort of character passive system which didn't depend on randomly sniffing out the environment for goodies.

I loooove possession. I don't normally use it when I'm only fighting people and smaller enemies; that is, anything less than an MP or an HM (can you use it on an HM?). I use it on turrets to spray enemies with damage and so enemy AI will take it out or severely weaken it for me, and I put it on MPs for the same reason.

DSmalls84

Possession for less I'm guessing? Possession is pretty useful in every situation except
lady comstock

I also like using it on patriots and letting the other enemies take them out.

SmithnCo

I loooove possession. I don't normally use it when I'm only fighting people and smaller enemies; that is, anything less than an MP or an HM (can you use it on an HM?). I use it on turrets to spray enemies with damage and so enemy AI will take it out or severely weaken it for me, and I put it on MPs for the same reason.

I think handymen are immune. Possession for less is great against some MP encounters yeah, it doesn't last long but with the new vigor cost you can kinda spam it.

Dylan

Two little gripes:

- Twice I've walked up to a vending machine and possessed it, which triggered the NPC's to become hostile. I can see the rational I guess but without quicksaves it's just frustrating.

- I wish there was an easier way to tell which NPC's are enemies. Sometimes you'll meet people who don't do anything and other times you'll meet people who want to blow your brains out the second you get close. It seems like the red health bars only appear after they are already shooting you. There have been a few encounters where I'm tempted to get the upper-hand on a mob but I wasn't sure if they were actually going to be enemies so I approached them and got owned.

I am having a great deals of regret reading about all the builds you guys are using, I halfway through the game I decided to go almost exclusively with hand cannon + Bucking Bronco for decapitation galore until the last part of the game where I just used Return to Sender for absolutely everything.

Andrew.

Banned
Charge and the rest? sure, those are great. Though I'm curious about what I'll do with undertow on 1999 mode.

btw, has anyone used ghost guns for real combat more than curiosity?

That gear worked pretty well for me at the beginning of 1999, but I found Urgent Care pretty quick and that cancelled Ghost Posse/Soldier out immediately.

Undertow is incredibly helpful during the second Handyman fight.

papercamm

Yes. Both games have a group of vocal detractors talking about combat deficiencies that I am completely disconnected with. Both games combine guns, powers and loadouts in a way that varies combat far beyond what a typical combat experience offers. Despite structural problems I had more fun with ME3's combat than most of the other games that are routinely presented as, 'Best of the Best.'

I have played far more ME3 MP than any other similar game this generation. Battlefield 1943 is second.

Infinite strikes me much the same way. I agree there are too many encounters and that possibly the game is too long. However, the powers were fun and varied, limited ammo promotes multiple weapon use and the rails opened up levels tremendously... Fry.

What bugged me more about Infinite is that a lot of creativity can be tied to gears. As far as I know gear is hidden in the environment and each piece is randomly selected. I am not a fan. I would have much preferred some sort of character passive system which didn't depend on randomly sniffing out the environment for goodies.

Maybe some day in the future when 2K Marin makes Bioshock Infinite 2 where you get to play as a miniature Songbird.

That gear worked pretty well for me at the beginning of 1999, but I found Urgent Care pretty quick and that cancelled Ghost Posse/Soldier out immediately.

Pretty much what I mean, I only started to find the pants that give ghost weapons in the last part of the game, and the other pants that give better ghost weapons in the last hour. I just couldn't bring myself to break my build, though I change it now and then, but just for curiosity.

SmithnCo

Charge and the rest? sure, those are great. Though I'm curious about what I'll do with undertow on 1999 mode.

btw, has anyone used ghost guns for real combat more than curiosity?

I really like undertow. I used the pull function more than anything. Guys behind cover? Snipers? Pull their asses over to you and start beating the crap out of them. You can shock them with storm gear immediately to hilarious effect, or if you have a melee build, melee them and get health + possibly salt.

Cloudy

Banned
It's not the better graphics that ruins it, it's just how unresponsive it is on the 360. It's like night and day, comparing the two experiences.

Yeah picking up items moreso than the actual gameplay

Top Bottom