• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

malfcn

Damnit. I didn't know where the Salty Oyster was and went through the turn-style.
That means I missed the Infusion and Return to Sender and fucked myself out of the achievements, right?
I was a bit tired and didn't remember the location.

Jrmint

Damnit. I didn't know where the Salty Oyster was and went through the turn-style.
That means I missed the Infusion and Return to Sender and fucked myself out of the achievements, right?
I was a bit tired and didn't remember the location.
You can still get the Vigor you mentioned later on, I feel like that vigor sucks anyway.

All you're really missing is the infusion.

Duffyside

Banned
Now that I've gotten my appall for the lack of any progress carry-over or information (WHICH IS ENTIRELY UNACCEPTABLE) out of my system (STUPID BULLSHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY FUCKED THAT UP)... let me now also suggest...

L1 and R1 act like they do in every other shooter, with aiming down the sights and shooting.
You switch your plasmids via the d-pad.
You use your plasmids with L2.
You get your direction arrow by clicking in R3.
You you listen to voxophones by holding, whatever, triangle for two seconds while out of combat. Or square as you pick them up. Or circle or X, which have no "hold down" function. Or anything, whatever, they're in the menu and they don't need a button dedicated to them.

Eh!? EH!?

Edit: EH!?

Andrew.

Banned
You can still get the Vigor you mentioned later on, I feel like that vigor sucks anyway.

All you're really missing is the infusion.

It's pretty easy to miss out on Charge too. I know because I almost totally missed it on my initial run. Thank god I was able to go back for it. Ran right past it after returning from Shantytown.

Zeliard

It's pretty easy to miss out on Charge too. I know because I almost totally missed it on my initial run. Thank god I was able to go back for it. Ran right past it after returning from Shantytown.

You can buy it from a vending machine later on as well. I assume that's the case with the other Vigors as well.

Andrew.

Banned
Now that I've gotten my appall for the lack of any progress carry-over or information (WHICH IS ENTIRELY UNACCEPTABLE) out of my system (STUPID BULLSHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY FUCKED THAT UP)... let me now also suggest...

L1 and R1 act like they do in every other shooter, with aiming down the sights and shooting.
You switch your plasmids via the d-pad.
You use your plasmids with L2.
You get your direction arrow by clicking in R3.
You you listen to voxophones by holding, whatever, triangle for two seconds while out of combat. Or square as you pick them up. Or anything, whatever, they're in the menu and they don't need a button dedicated to them.

Eh!? EH!?

Man, fuck L1 and R1 for shooting and aiming on the PS3 unless you really have no other choice via option menus. Use the trigger attachments. They are glorious.

Naeblish

Well just finished it... this game was extraordinary.. but a total mess.

Shouldn't have gone with playing it on Hard. Most of the game was easy as a summer breeze but some spots had me smashing my head against the wall. Maybe I just suck with shooters but it felt very unbalanced.

Everything from art direction, graphics and atmosphere was amazing. I just wanted to soak everything around me. Story itself was interesting and probably amazing on paper but the way it was told was just bad. Just like the first Bioshock. Weird disconnected monologues and conversations that just didn't make any sense.

Schizophrenic mess switching between moments of brilliance and absolute garbage.

Now to read the spoiler thread ->

Haven't finished it yet, but i totally agree with this. The Handyman's are absolute total bullshit on hard, where everything else is easy. I found Bioshock's gameplay (for it's time) far superior to this one.

Andrew.

Banned
Haven't finished it yet, but i totally agree with this. The Handyman's are absolute total bullshit on hard, where everything else is easy. I found Bioshock's gameplay (for it's time) far superior to this one.

The first Handyman battle can be exploited pretty easily. It's how I got through it on 99.

Lead him over to the back corner to the right of the Good Time Club. Hook up to the awning and then jump onto the log pile tucked in the corner. Crouch and wait there for him to arrive. He will either get stuck on the corner of the building and just look at you and not do shit or he will jump in front of the log pile, attack sometimes, but is still able to become an easy kill.

This is also the method I used to get the "Heartbreaker" trophy.

Neiteio

Bleh, rambled. Felt the need to say something nice again, since I don't hate the game. I'm just reacting to the over-the-top praise, I suppose.
I was totally ready to dismiss Infinite, despite loving BioShock 1 and 2. I was a bit irked by all of the praise it was getting, knowing many people were skipping other games that are also beautifully realized, but low-profile by comparison, and trend toward a different demographic than the shooter market. I'm talking games like Luigi's Mansion 2, HarmoKnight, etc, which absolutely deserve attention, as well.

However, Infinite has taken over my heart and mind. It really DOES deserve all of the praise it has received, in my opinion. While Metal Gear Rising is probably the best game so far this year in terms of pure raw gameplay, Infinite takes gameplay that is perfectly solid in itself, and combines it with a wonderful world that is incredible in its sense of place, its attention to detail, and its thematic underpinnings.

It's a game that transports me in a way similar to the N64 Zelda games back when I first played them. Tall praise, indeed. And that's what makes it my favorite game so far in 2013.

The first Handyman battle can be exploited pretty easily. It's how I got through it on 99.

Lead him over to the back corner to the right of the Good Time Club. Hook up to the awning and then jump onto the log pile tucked in the corner. Crouch and wait there for him to arrive. He will either get stuck on the corner of the building and just look at you and not do shit or he will jump in front of the log pile, attack sometimes, but is still able to become an easy kill.

This is also the method I used to get the "Heartbreaker" trophy.
To the right of The Good Time Club facing it or facing the same way as it?

Duffyside

Banned
I was totally ready to dismiss Infinite, despite loving BioShock 1 and 2, because I was a bit irked by all the praise it was getting, knowing many of the people who loved it were skipping other games that are also beautifully realized, but are low-profile by comparison, and trend toward a different demographic than the shooter market. I'm talking games like Luigi's Mansion 2, HarmoKnight, etc, which absolutely deserve attention, as well.

However, Infinite has taken over my heart and mind. It really DOES deserve all the praise, in my opinion. While Metal Gear Rising is probably the best game so far this year in terms of pure raw gameplay, Infinite takes gameplay that is perfectly solid in itself, and combines it with a wonderful world that is incredible in its sense of place, its attention to detail, and its thematic underpinnings.

It's a game that transports me in a way similar to the N64 Zelda games back when I first played them. Tall praise, indeed.

I agree with all of this, really. I just don't think that's enough to make it a "10/10" game. Or even "9/10," really. It has some incredible things about it, and a lot of problems, or just things that leave you scratching your head. It's hard to look past all the quibbles when they are enough to make me not want to play the game anymore.

And see, our tastes aren't so different — you're one of the smart people who understand how awesome Bioshock 2 is.

Edit: You know what? I'ma say it. Infinite? Worst Bioshock.
That's still a good game though.

ultron87

There is one thing that bugged me more than anything in this game: the whole lockpick mechanic.

It encourages you to be stupidly meticulous with searching areas. This isn't fun or skill testing at all. They aren't hidden in logical places or anything. They are just casually tossed about the environment.

And then the payoff for finding them is getting to make entirely uninformed choices about doors to unlock. Should I spend 5 on this one or 3 on this other one? No idea at all! Oh darn, I picked the one that just had money or had a useless gear in it. The other one could've had an infusion. Stupid me for picking this random door instead of the other random door. I suppose if I'd looked in every single nook, cranny, and garbage bin I might have enough picks for everything. At least there are a few times you can look through the windows and see that the room contains an infusion.

Neiteio

I agree with all of this, really. I just don't think that's enough to make it a "10/10" game. Or even "9/10," really. It has some incredible things about it, and a lot of problems, or just things that leave you scratching your head. It's hard to look past all the quibbles when they are enough to make me not want to play the game anymore.

And see, our tastes aren't so different — you're one of the smart people who understand how awesome Bioshock 2 is.
Well, I was quite critical of Journey, and I know you love that game. It just wasn't what I was hoping for after the exhilirating Flower. However, I never think less of people for the games they like or don't like. In fact, the only time I think less of people is when they're mean or apathetic toward others. And I get the vibe you're a nice guy! :)

Infinite's not perfect... No game is, really. And when it comes to reviews, I'm not a fan of point systems in general, especially since reviewers usually only use the latter half of the 10-point scale, and since people often don't read the reasons when there are numbers attached.

But for me, Infinite is still swirling in my head and impeding my office productivity. It's making me dream, it's making me think, it's making me feel, and it's making me itch to play it again, trying new things in combat, soaking up new details, considering things from different perspectives, etc.

So while, say, Adam Sessler and others could've cut back on the superlatives (and that's coming from me, a man who loves his hyperbole!), I have to say it feels "right" to make Infinite feel magical, because for me, it was. :)

Gameplay-wise, BioShock 2 is probably the best. If the guns handled like Infinite, it'd be hands-down the best. Setting traps in BioShock 2 was just too fun. My favorite combo? Deploy a decoy that deals damage AND restores my health as Splicers attack it. Surround it with trip wires and land mines and fire-charged cyclones that launch enemies on fire into a ceiling rigged with more mines. Fill the room with swarms of killer bees, and pick off the stragglers with the drill dash. Nothing in Infinite comes anywhere close to that.

Duffyside

Banned
There is one thing that bugged me more than anything in this game: the whole lockpick mechanic.

It encourages you to be stupidly meticulous with searching areas. This isn't fun or skill testing at all. They aren't hidden in logical places or anything. They are just casually tossed about the environment.

And then the payoff for finding them is getting to make entirely uninformed choices about doors to unlock. Should I spend 5 on this one or 3 on this other one? No idea at all! Oh darn, I picked the one that just had money or had a useless gear in it. The other one could've had an infusion. Stupid me for picking this random door instead of the other random door. I suppose if I'd looked in every single nook, cranny, and garbage bin I might have enough picks for everything. At least there are a few times you can look through the windows and see that the room contains an infusion.

Yeah, you could've, like I did. By the end of the game I had 30, which is the max you can carry.

Your point still stands though. Scavenging for currency sucks.

Duffyside

Banned
I get the vibe you're a nice guy! :)

Well now I know you have no idea what you're talking about...

Infinite's not perfect... No game is, really. And when it comes to reviews, I'm not a fan of point systems in general, especially since reviewers usually only use the latter half of the 10-point scale, and since people often don't read the reasons when there are numbers attached.

But for me, Infinite is still swirling in my head and impeding my office productivity. It's making me dream, it's making me think, it's making me feel, and it's making me itch to play it again, trying new things in combat, soaking up new details, considering things from different perspectives, etc.

So while, say, Adam Sessler and others could've cut back on the superlatives (and that's coming from me, a man who loves his hyperbole!), I have to say it feels "right" to make Infinite feel magical, because for me, it was. :)

Gameplay-wise, BioShock 2 is probably the best. If the guns handled like Infinite, it'd be hands-down the best. Setting traps in BioShock 2 was just too fun. My favorite combo? Deploy a decoy that deals damage AND restores my health as Splicers attack it. Surround it with trip wires and land mines and fire-charged cyclones that launch enemies on fire into a ceiling rigged with more mines. Fill the room with swarms of killer bees, and pick off the stragglers with the drill dash. Nothing in Infinite comes anywhere close to that.

I am strangely a BIG fan of point systems, or at least assigning a numerical value to games (the best way to do it, I think, is to say how much a game is worth in literal dollars), but even I'm having trouble determining what I think Infinite deserves in terms of a score. Might be easier if I were to replay some of it, but with the lack of any information on my collectible progress (which is total bull-garbage), I haven't had the urge lately. Have I mentioned how much that sucks before? Because it does. ... Stinks!

And yeah, Bioshock 2's gameplay was definitely the best of the bunch. Heck, one of the best for all of shooters, in my opinion, for exactly what you wrote about. People forget that the ability to use both plasmids and guns at the same time wasn't in Bioshock 1, and that 2 introduced that.

Can you imagine if Levine were to direct another game, but were to take a dozen or so people from Irrational and pair with the Bioshock 2 team(ssssss)? Amazing.

I'm mostly enjoying myself, but the lady of the house seems to be of this mindset as well. She's been frustrated for hours with the gameplay, can't stand the main characters, and the narrative has been up and down for her the whole time. She's been hoping she's been at the end for hours but keeps getting somewhere and then the game sends you backtracking. She told me this morning she justwants it to end so she can go play Bioshock 2 again.

Neiteio

Well now I know you have no idea what you're talking about...
A person with a smiling monkey avatar can't be heartless!

I am strangely a BIG fan of point systems, or at least assigning a numerical value to games (the best way to do it, I think, is to say how much a game is worth in literal dollars), but even I'm having trouble determining what I think Infinite deserves in terms of a score. Might be easier if I were to replay some of it, but with the lack of any information on my collectible progress (which is total bull-garbage), I haven't had the urge lately. Have I mentioned how much that sucks before? Because it does. ... Stinks!
I'm still surprised I missed what I did (like five voxophones) when I was so thorough combing the levels that I could've reproduced them blindfolded (provided I had an ounce of architectural drafting ability).

And yeah, Bioshock 2's gameplay was definitely the best of the bunch. Heck, one of the best for all of shooters, in my opinion, for exactly what you wrote about. People forget that the ability to use both plasmids and guns at the same time wasn't in Bioshock 1, and that 2 introduced that.

Can you imagine if Levine were to direct another game, but were to take a dozen or so people from Irrational and pair with the Bioshock 2 team(ssssss)? Amazing.
Part of me hopes the DLC will have some dense gameplay bits that will feature lots of tools and traps for BioShock 2-style combat. It's nice we still have the drill dash in the form of Charge, and the bees in the form of the crows (although they're not nearly as chaotic). And certainly, the skyrails and tears spice things up nicely. But man, nothing in Infinite ever approaches the pure insanity of BioShock 2's decoy-filled, wire-trapped minefield of bombs and bees and fire-charged cyclones. Not to mention that in Infinite, the enemies are too smart to walk into them!

Andrew.

Banned
The question now is, when will DLC arrive? In a month? By mid June just in time to fuck with the release of The Last of Us?

I want it NOW.

Neiteio

The question now is, when will DLC arrive? In a month? By mid June just in time to fuck with the release of The Last of Us?

I want it NOW.
Andrew, as the board's foremost expert on Infinite, do you know what we can expect in terms of DLC? Will they be side stories, and do we know how many we can expect? Best case scenario, we get multiple side stories that are the same caliber as Minerva's Den in BioShock 2.

Neiteio

On a side note, Duffy's rage about no progress tracking in Infinite reminds me of my own rage campaign about Mario Kart 7 omitting single-player Versus, lol.

But at least Irrational might actually listen, unlike Nintendo. Nintendo actually is irrational!

Ziek

How the fuck do I
defeat lady comstock on hard? theres no ammo left in the level and she keeps regenerating health....

t-ramp

You can buy it from a vending machine later on as well. I assume that's the case with the other Vigors as well.
I must have missed Charge as well. I've been confused about buying it at the vending machine, since it gives the option to replace one of my other vigors. I don't permanently lose another vigor if I buy Charge, do I?

Andrew.

Banned
Andrew, as the board's foremost expert on Infinite, do you know what we can expect in terms of DLC? Will they be side stories, and do we know how many we can expect? Best case scenario, we get multiple side stories that are the same caliber as Minerva's Den in BioShock 2.

Like I said yesterday, I wouldnt mind one from the perspective of a Vox, one from the perspective of a Founder and one from the perspective of god knows what.

Enco

Finished the game at 10 hours.

Brilliant ride. Some of the combat got stale in the middle but overall it's one of my favorite stories and worlds. Elizabeth was amazing.

I barely bought anything from the vending machines and by far the best weapon was the volley gun. So good.

Jumping from sky rail to sky rail while fighting the handy men was amazingly fun.

The game makes me want to go back to Dishonored. The fluidity of that game mixed with the characters and story of Bioshock Infinite = GOTF.

ultron87

How the fuck do I
defeat lady comstock on hard? theres no ammo left in the level and she keeps regenerating health....

I was having a ton of trouble until I started using Return to Sender to stay alive for longer stretches.

Another thing that annoyed me.

The "side quests" were fucking pointless. They essentially boiled down to "find an item and backtrack to another location to unlock couple of dollars and a voice log if you're lucky".

What a wasted opportunity to have some actual goddamn puzzles to solve and break up the shooting gallery gameplay. And they could reward you with some half meaningful story stuff about Vox Populi.

Why goddamnit? Why even bother having them?? So stupid.

Neiteio

I'm mostly enjoying myself, but the lady of the house seems to be of this mindset as well. She's been frustrated for hours with the gameplay, can't stand the main characters, and the narrative has been up and down for her the whole time. She's been hoping she's been at the end for hours but keeps getting somewhere and then the game sends you backtracking. She told me this morning she justwants it to end so she can go play Bioshock 2 again.
BioShock 2 only had two faults, in my eyes:

1) The game starts out very, very slowly. The early areas are a bit bland and forgettable.

2) The scenery outside the windows wasn't as pretty as BioShock 1; usually, it was foggy blue water and a sparse kelp forest.

However, unlike BioShock 1, BioShock 2 only continues to accelerate, slowly but surely, and it reaches a high top speed. Barring the absence of a Fort Frolic equivalent (although Fontaine Futuristics comes close), BioShock 2 tells the superior story to BioShock 1. And it has superior gameplay, as well.

Where does Infinite factor into all of this? In terms of the narrative, Infinite is the best of the three, imo. It starts strong like BioShock 1, it ends strong like BioShock 2, and it's consistently interesting throughout. With a single focused ending and no banal morality system, Infinite has the narrative strengths of its predecessors, and none of their weaknesses.

In terms of gameplay, the controls feel better in Infinite, in terms of sprinting and turning and jumping -- just the right amoung of tilt and bobbing. The gunplay feels greatly refined, as well.

However, the combat doesn't encourage the same twisted creativity as BioShock 2 and, to a lesser degree, BioShock 1. It's just as good, in a different way, with more focus on navigating the environment, from the skyrails to the tear transformations. But I think I preferred rigging the entire environment in my favor: turrets and sentry bots, mines and trip-wires, and so on.

Andrew.

Banned
I was having a ton of trouble until I started using Return to Sender to stay alive for longer stretches.

You can try the patented FartOfWar method (which Im excited to try out). You apparently decimate her pretty damn quickly no matter what difficulty:

Equip: Electric Punch, Blood to Salt, Vampires Embrace and Last Man Standing and use Charge.

Mechanically BioShock 2 was a perfectly fine game, and it did refine and expand on BioShock's combat in some cool ways, but at its core it was a cash-in sequel. The story felt sorta bereft of any real creativity (although Minerva's Den was great).

So I'm playing on 1999 Mode (first playthrough was on Hard) and I'm a little disappointed. Does anyone else remember that when Irrational first announced 1999 they said you'd have to do stuff like choose combat specializations before you could use any new weapons? Maybe I missed the news leading up to release but I was kinda bummed to see they'd gotten rid of that. Don't get me wrong, 1999 is tough, but it doesn't feel like a significantly different gameplay experience. As far as I can tell (and at the moment I'm in Shantytown), the only real difference is that game overs are possible. It's not quite the kick in the ass I was expecting.

On the whole I really, really like this game, but there are some design oversights that are slightly mind boggling.

Can someone tell me about how much time is left to finish the game? I want to know if I can beat it with the limited time I have before my vacation. I'm at
The top deck of Comstock's flagship, presumably right about to kill him. How many hours would you guys say is left?

Well, I was quite critical of Journey, and I know you love that game. It just wasn't what I was hoping for after the exhilirating Flower. However, I never think less of people for the games they like or don't like. In fact, the only time I think less of people is when they're mean or apathetic toward others. And I get the vibe you're a nice guy! :)

So was Bioshock 2 actually good now? I remember it falling flat when it first came out, but now I'm thinking about trying it now that I'm done with Inifinite.

Neiteio

Mechanically BioShock 2 was a perfectly fine game, and it did refine and expand on BioShock's combat in some cool ways, but at its core it was a cash-in sequel. The story felt sorta bereft of any real creativity (although Minerva's Den was great).
I thought BioShock 2's story was fascinating, seeing how the residents of Rapture turn to religion after their Objectivist society falls apart.

So was Bioshock 2 actually good now? I remember it falling flat when it first came out, but now I'm thinking about trying it now that I'm done with Inifinite.
BioShock 2 always WAS good. It just starts very slowly. It gets better and better as it goes on, and ends on an exponentially stronger note than the original ever did.

ultron87

Can someone tell me about how much time is left to finish the game? I want to know if I can beat it with the limited time I have before my vacation. I'm at
The top deck of Comstock's flagship, presumably right about to kill him. How many hours would you guys say is left?

Like an hour, probably?

x-Lundz-x

You are literally at the end of the game, about an hour when you include the final sequence. Boy oh boy you are in for a treat.

Neiteio

It's a real shame this game isn't on WiiU. Maybe they could release a GOTY edition for the system once all the DLC is out. I just feel bad for people who made the HD transition with that console and don't get to play this game.

conman

You don't want to be lectured by a game do you? I think many people would 't. Sometimes is not a matter of addressing issues but accepting the reality of human nature. If we still havent solved a single social problem in our own world today, why get answers to them in a 10 hr game imo
I don't expect a lecture. Nor am I asking for propaganda in game form. I'm simply expecting some amount of consistency and "good faith" to subjects that the game itself brings up and puts front and center. The Big Ideas (tm) of the game get buried in the back half by a nonsensical sci-fi plot. Racism, nationalism, exceptionalism, fundamentalism, etc., are all turned into mere set decoration at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through the game.

But how do you tackle those ideas in a game that involves you mowing down hundreds of people with an RPG? I'm not sure this game would have been the best avenue to tackle those issues head on, however, using them to build a more believable world was extremely effective.
Other games have at least tried, though with varying degrees of success. And many of those games were directly influenced by the first Bioshock--which, despite some of its shortcomings, at least tried to provide some sort of coherent vision of the historical and political problems of free will--specific to gaming and American culture in the 20th century.

But Bioshock Infinite doesn't even try. It just brings all this "iimportant stuff" up and then drops it off a cliff.

Not at all. Seems like you simply weren't a fan on how it was handled honestly. Which is fine, but to say it was half cooked?

Lets not forget how the whole theme of Bioshock was the "A Man Chooses, and A slave obeys" Yet even after the whole Ryan twist you still become a slave to the game design, even though you free of atlas/fountine enslavement.

Bioshock in itself 3/4 of the way collapse entirely in it's narrative so you really have no rebuttal.
Sure I do. You've set up a false dichotomy. You're assuming that because I think Bioshock Infinite's story and ideas fail that I must think Bioshock's succeed. I don't. I agree with you that the back half of Bioshock has a lot of the same problems, but at least in the first game there's a consistent attempt throughout the entire game to acknowledge (and work through) those problems.

I enjoyed the first Bioshock, but it's far from my favorite game of the generation. And I think there are many other big-budget games that deal with Big Ideas much more coherently, so I don't hold it up as the exemplar of addressing "serious" issues. But it certainly is the poster child for those kinds of games. And its financial success has made it possible for many of those games to get funded and find an audience. So it deserves credit for that, at least. Put it this way, if all we'd gotten was Bioshock Infinite and no original Bioshock, I don't think that sea-change would have happened.

Please no combat challenges DLC

/mantra.

Not joking here. Didn't buy it for BS1 or Dishonored. I want nice SP-content. Until I know more of it I will not buy the Season Pass yet.

beastmode

/mantra.

Not joking here. Didn't buy it for BS1 or Dishonored. I want nice SP-content. Until I know more of it I will not buy the Season Pass yet.
They've already said all three are mini campaigns.

Dylan

Other games have at least tried, though with varying degrees of success. And many of those games were directly influenced by the first Bioshock--which, despite some of its shortcomings, at least tried to provide some sort of coherent vision of the historical and political problems of free will--specific to gaming and American culture in the 20th century.

But Bioshock Infinite doesn't even try. It just brings all this "iimportant stuff" up and then drops it off a cliff.

I think you just had very different expectations for what this game was going to be. It's a science fiction with an extremely fleshed out world. If Levine had stayed away from filling Columbia with real-world ideas like racism and indoctrination, it would just be another shooty-shooty-robots game. Including these themes enriches the world.

If getting a whiff of these more controversial topics took away from your enjoyment of the rest of the story, that's really too bad, but I don't see it as a failing on the writers at all; that isn't the story they set out to tell.

/mantra.

Heh, that's exactly what I want. <3 the combat in this game.

Prodigal

Banned
Any tips for preparing for the final fight in 1999 mode? I'm only a few hours in but I know it's gonna be tough. I never died playing on normal but I want to be extra prepared for the finale.

Top Bottom