• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I prefer it to any other system nowadays alongside checkpoints.

I really hate Infinite's system. It actively and permanently punishes you for dying. It'd be like playing Demon's Souls if you couldn't get your bloodstains back and there was no way to ever reacquire replacement souls.

Yeah, they somehow made a system worse than vita chambers, which I already found terrible.

Finally finished the game. Story was good, game was flawed. Lemme know when modders patch in all weapons, redesign the death system, and fix the balance issues with Vigor and I'll be all for a 1999 mode playthrough.

I can understand patching/modding the checkpoint system because it sucks. But I think patching in all weapons would be unfair/make the game a whole lot easier/break the design of the game. Some of the encounters are designed around using what you have wisely, instead of bringing everything but the kitchen sink into every battle. That's actually one of the gripes I had about the original Bioshock: by about halfway through the game you were pretty much stacked with ammo of every type so the Big Daddy boss fights were ridiculously easy. I honestly don't think the two weapon system is that big a deal in this game. They let you still collect ammo for the other weapons you aren't carrying, and most of the battle arenas have weapons scattered about for you to pick up if you feel like switching. Not once during the game did I ever feel like "hey, I wish I had X weapon right now it sucks I can only carry two." Having all weapons also kind of defeats the purpose of 1999 mode: the entire point is that resources are supposed to be scarce and you're supposed to limit yourself to only upgrading the weapons you're favoring, not all of them.

Also I felt all the Vigors are pretty balanced. The only one I rarely use is Devil's Kiss, but everybody who plays favors different Vigors for their play style which I think says something about the Vigor design.

Sophia

I can understand patching/modding the checkpoint system because it sucks. But I think patching in all weapons would be unfair/make the game a whole lot easier/break the design of the game. Some of the encounters are designed around using what you have wisely, instead of bringing everything but the kitchen sink into every battle. That's actually one of the gripes I had about the original Bioshock: by about halfway through the game you were pretty much stacked with ammo of every type so the Big Daddy boss fights were ridiculously easy. I honestly don't think the two weapon system is that big a deal in this game. They let you still collect ammo for the other weapons you aren't carrying, and most of the battle arenas have weapons scattered about for you to pick up if you feel like switching. Not once during the game did I ever feel like "hey, I wish I had X weapon right now it sucks I can only carry two." Having all weapons also kind of defeats the purpose of 1999 mode: the entire point is that resources are supposed to be scarce and you're supposed to limit yourself to only upgrading the weapons you're favoring, not all of them.

Also I felt all the Vigors are pretty balanced. The only one I rarely use is Devil's Kiss, but everybody who plays favors different Vigors for their play style which I think says something about the Vigor design.

When I first started playing, I hated the Vigors. But now that I've finished it, I find that most of the Vigors aren't that badly balanced. Except Possession, which is too fucking expensive for what it does. Unsurprisingly, it quickly becomes useless once you get Shock Jockey. Normalizing the costs slightly would fix every issue with them.

I disagree with you on the weapons on every count tho. Many of the game's battles (the Final Battle being the most standout example, with
the three battles against Lady Comstock
being another) seem liked they were designed with the idea that you'd have all the weapons in mind, and not having them turns every battle in the game into a battle of guesswork. If you have the right weapons, battles quickly become easy. If you have the wrong weapons, every battle becomes tiring. It's horrible conveyance and not at all well thought out. Plus it undermines the weapon upgrade system and forces players to stick with the weapons they've upgraded.

I'm still on the fence as to if I want to try 1999 mode or not. The difference between Easy/Normal/Hard basically boiled down to every enemy becoming a bullet sponge with 3x health and 3x damage dealt. Doesn't inspire confidence at all.

sappyday

1999 mode isn't very hard once you've actually played the game. Only the
battles against Lady Comstock are annoying, well the first one is the other two can be "cheated"in a way. Also the final battle is annoyingly hard because of the ship's health.

As far as the gameplay goes I also felt this was a step down from Bioshock 2, even if Irrational didn't work on that game. People don't get why a COD-comparison is made but you can set a COD-controller layout in the options, have regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit
Infinite is closer to Halo than it is to CoD.

Sophia

battles against Lady Comstock are annoying, well the first one is the other two can be "cheated"in a way. Also the final battle is annoyingly hard because of the ship's health.

Yeah, it's those two battles that would make me not want to play 1999 mode. I wasn't doing too bad on Hard until then, but I was about ready to stop playing entirely on the third fight of Comstock. I eventually compromised on the final battle and just turned it to easy because the game started throwing so many different enemies at you, and it was just impossible to deal with it without switching guns every 30 seconds.

Infinite is close to Halo than it is to CoD.

It's Halo without the careful balance that goes into Halo's guns to ensure that two weapons only actually works.

Vire

Yeah, it's those two battles that would make me not want to play 1999 mode. I wasn't doing too bad on Hard until then, but I was about ready to stop playing entirely on the third fight of Comstock. I eventually compromised on the final battle and just turned it to easy because the game started throwing so many different enemies at you, and it was just impossible to deal with it without switching guns every 30 seconds.

It's Halo without the careful balance that goes into Halo's guns to ensure that two weapons only actually works.
I just beat the entire game on hard with only the Pistol and Machine Gun.

So yeah...

Sophia

I just beat the entire game on hard with only the Pistol and Machine Gun.

So yeah...

Outside of the final battle, I didn't say it was impossible. Just that it was frustratingly difficult.

I'm guessing you had all the upgrades for your respective guns?

Once I get it on PC, I guess I'll retry the game on 1999 mode. I don't have enough time to finish the game twice in a single rental sadly.

Vire

Outside of the final battle, I didn't say it was impossible. Just that it was frustratingly difficult.

I'm guessing you had all the upgrades for your respective guns?

Yep, all upgrades for those two guns only.

Then I invested the rest into maxed out Shock Jockey, Possession and Undertow.

Used Extra 50% Extra Crit Damage + 40% Chance to recover Salts on Kill + The Area of Effect One after doing excessive damage for my gear

Annihilated everything, pretty easily actually. Beat the final encounter on my first try.

sappyday

Well there's a strategy where
you can snipe her from the set of stairs near the vending machines. That's what I did which made it really easy.
I feel like everyone should play this game twice (1999 mode recommended) in order to truly appreciate the game.

Sophia

Well there's a strategy where
you can snipe her from the set of stairs near the vending machines. That's what I did which made it really easy.
I feel like everyone should play this game twice (1999 mode recommended) in order to truly appreciate the game.

That's basically what I did in the long run, although after restarting from a checkpoint. Felt pretty hallow when I actually did win tho. Probably because I was so frustrated and just wanted the game to be over.

Dresden

Wow, just killed the first
Siren
in ten or so seconds. Fully upgraded Charge, upgraded shotgun, Burning Halo + Blood to Salt + Brittle-Skinned. It wasn't that hard before, but now 1999 is a joke. Also fun.

When I first started playing, I hated the Vigors. But now that I've finished it, I find that most of the Vigors aren't that badly balanced. Except Possession, which is too fucking expensive for what it does. Unsurprisingly, it quickly becomes useless once you get Shock Jockey. Normalizing the costs slightly would fix every issue with them.

With the cheap-cast aid, the salt cost isn't an issue (and it's extremely powerful even without the aid).

Vire

Wow, just killed the first
Siren
in ten or so seconds. Fully upgraded Charge, upgraded shotgun, Burning Halo + Blood to Salt + Brittle-Skinned. It wasn't that hard before, but now 1999 is a joke. Also fun.

With the cheap-cast aid, the salt cost isn't an issue (and it's extremely powerful even without the aid).

Yeah, Possession is one of the best vigors in the game.

If you buy the cheap cast aid, it's almost OP.

XeroSauce

I only wish that the weapon "spawns" or locations were more obvious. When flying around on rails or running all over pulling tears for medkits it's kind of hard to notice that there's a full ammo machine gun right there for you.

Otherwise, I lvoed the weapon system. Rewarded you for scavenging enemy weapons depending on your gear OR sticking to 2-3 weapons depending on your gear is great. Worked for me.

If you are having trouble with switching guns, use overkill and ammo gear, buy upgrade for specific guns and max them out.
If you have no problem with running around grabbing various weapons to use (like I did), use things like weapon ghosts or reload gear. Buy cheap upgrades for various guns.

54-46!

I hope they patch in an Ironman mode. Die once, goodbye.

I thought they had disabled the revive feature in 1999 mode, when I died early on in the game I just reloaded from the last checkpoint because it felt like cheating.. but then I realized the checkpoints themselves were terrible, having to re-loot everything before every battle.

54-46!

When I realized that I could
push the "rocket men" off the ship with Undertow and use the Sniper for everything else
, the final battle became surprisingly easy for me (also 1999 mode).. but yeah, the final battle against
Lady Comstock
took forever, mostly because I didn't have enough ammo, had to move from cover to cover and loot every single dead guy.

Riposte

20 lockpicks? In a Bioshock game? This isnt fucking Final Fantasy.

What does this even mean?

Why is being forced to switch guns a bad thing? In the final battle you will have guns to switch to. Moreover I get the feeling anyone who couldn't really clear the final battle (which wasn't even that hard) isn't the best person to judge the combat system.

EDIT: For my upgrades, I spread it around a bit. Had 50% for two guns (and I think one case of fire rate+), 25% for two or three other guns.

ekim

I'm 10 hours into this game and this is the first I've heard of vigor combos. Wtf?

Hm? Also never heard of it - sure I mix-used them (Crow-trap and then Bronco for example) but it is actually possible to combine them? There is also that weird Achievement that asks you to combine all Vigors.

Fjordson

Jesus I feel like this just turned into a survival horror game in the
psychiatric ward with those creepy Washington mask enemies
. Or maybe I just suck. Practically no ammo, nothing to scavenge since the enemies are all using melee. God damn, I'm getting worked.

StuBurns

Banned
Jesus I feel like this just turned into a survival horror game in the
psychiatric ward with those creepy Washington mask enemies
. Or maybe I just suck. Practically no ammo, nothing to scavenge since the enemies are all using melee. God damn, I'm getting worked.
You mean with the
Boy of Silence? Just don't let them see you, and you won't trigger their helper dudes

Fjordson

You mean with the
Boy of Silence? Just don't let them see you, and you won't trigger their helper dudes
I....did not know that. I walked right up to every one.

I suck at games :lol

edit: if I beat that section just now, how close am I to the end?

StuBurns

Banned
I....did not know that. I walked right up to every one.

I suck at games :lol

edit: if I beat that section just now, how close am I to the end?
I don't think it's because you suck. It's oddly designed, the latter instances of that seem visually a lot more transparent in communicating the stealth option.

You have less than an hour left.

Fjordson

I don't think it's because you suck. It's oddly designed, the latter instances of that seem visually a lot more transparent in communicating the stealth option.

You have less than an hour left.
Yeah, I agree. Thinking back on the last one I saw, it makes more sense, but the first few were just sort of standing there right in the way. Figured they were simply meant to be combat sections.

Thankfully done with that. Loving where the story is going, shit is crazy!

panda21

i played the start of this last week and didn't really enjoy it, it just felt like a mediocre FPS with a nice art style. is it worth continuing for the story? I didnt meet elizabeth yet.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, I agree. Thinking back on the last one I saw, it makes more sense, but the first few were just sort of standing there right in the way. Figured they were simply meant to be combat sections.

Thankfully done with that. Loving where the story is going, shit is crazy!
Actually, I forgot about a section, you have more than an hour, but yeah, you're in the final stretch.

54-46!

I found it kind of strange that they didn't explain the Vigors like they did in Bioshock, they just had that magician at the beginning of the game. I understand why they didn't explain the mechanics, but story wise it felt out of place.

i played the start of this last week and didn't really enjoy it, it just felt like a mediocre FPS with a nice art style. is it worth continuing for the story? I didnt meet elizabeth yet.
The game is very linear and the combat remains pretty much the same through out the whole game. The story doesn't get very interesting up until the very end.. but if you are observant you will appreciate some of the minor details it throws at you.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I'm at the end of the game. I shoot this dude, my PC halts, takes me to desktop, shows me two nonsense error messages that i click through because it dumped me out in the middle of a fight. Get back, finish the battle, and the fucking awesome result?

Now the game won't save. At all.

fuck

patapuf

I found it kind of strange that they didn't explain the Vigors like they did in Bioshock, they just had that magician at the beginning of the game. I understand why they didn't explain the mechanics, but story wise it felt out of place.

The game is very linear and the combat remains pretty much the same through out the whole game. The story doesn't get very interesting up until the very end.. but if you are observant you will appreciate some of the minor details it throws at you.

I disagree, once you have a few vigors and a big salt meter combat becomes a lot more fun, especially when you start combining the various powers.

31KZgnr.jpg

I disagree, once you have a few vigors and a big salt meter combat becomes a lot more fun, especially when you start combining the various powers.

I'm going to have to agree with this. I'm only halfway through the game, but combat has been a lot more fun since more weapons/vigors/skylines/tears were thrown into the mix. For the first hour or two it's pretty standard fare, but I'm liking it a lot more now.

But I don't know if I'd call the game a "standard FPS" when you don't even pick up a gun until an hour or so in...

pa22word

So I'm at the end of the game. I shoot this dude, my PC halts, takes me to desktop, shows me two nonsense error messages that i click through because it dumped me out in the middle of a fight. Get back, finish the battle, and the fucking awesome result?

Now the game won't save. At all.

fuck

I feel your pain, brother. I had to beat roughly the last 40% of the game in one sitting on 1999 mode because the game flat out refused to save my progress, insisting my last checkpoint was over 5 hours ago...and counting...all the way up to the credits >_<

EDIT: before people start cross referencing the greenman thread and say I pirated the game: I've been using a buddy's at work 360 copy while I waited on my PC situation to resolve itself. I don't have home internet at the moment, so if those stupid ass "SHOW MEH DA RECEIPTS" gifs start popping up I'll be more than happy to text a mod an MMS showing my 1999 mode clear achievement, and/or a picture of the game.

patapuf

I feel your pain, brother. I had to beat roughly the last 40% of the game in one sitting on 1999 mode because the game flat out refused to save my progress, insisting my last checkpoint was over 5 hours ago...and counting...all the way up to the credits >_<

And this why you allow manual saving. I had to replay the begining of the game because i accidentally hit new game instead of continue. By far the most annoying thing about the game imo.

Top Bottom