• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Andrew.

Banned
I just bought the Season Pass and am currently at
Shantytown
. Is there any way I can go back to pick up my infusions?

Nope. Gotta wait til your next game. You can pick up all of your bonuses at The Blue Ribbon where you acquire the shield.

The gold skins are instant though.

Nope. Gotta wait til your next game. You can pick up all of your bonuses at The Blue Ribbon where you acquire the shield.

The gold skins are instant though.
That's awful. Can't quite understand the reasoning behind the decision to gate the rewards at the beginning of the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The more I play it, the more this "this game ain't got nothing on Bioshock 1" thought keeps popping on my head. Sigh.

Even though I am not a fan of Bio 1 the already destroyed world was very well done and worked perfectly for what they were doing. Columbia and its residents just have too many videogamey seams that take away from it to me.

DatDude

Banned
I have plenty of issues with the heavy handed nature of a lot of what I'm witnessing, but I will say it is a lot better than most games today. Which is not to say it's great, since it seems unless the story takes some real turn from here on out the problems will remain in my mind, but just that it can at least be termed adequate, which for me is a huge accomplishment for any videogame these days. :p

I won't post details information until I finish the story, however, since it seems by the nature of the ending, it is pretty important to 'getting' what Ken Levine and company were going for.

Thanks for the reply.

And..well..I won't say anything..but "interesting" puts it lightly.

Don't skip the credits since there is something afterwards (I probably told you this already. Or you probably know by now)...and be sure to read the 1st page of the spoiler thread and prepare your mind to be blown....again ;)

I was going to say if it was only halfway I have no idea how people were beating the game in nine hours of their first ever playthrough

admittedly I'm moving at a glacial pace soaking in every inch of Columbia, but no way I could possibly be so slow as to only be @ 50% at this point. I got like 26 hours under my belt :p

Okay not to scrutinize your playstyle but Bioshock Infinite does not have 26 hours of content to experience.

I can see 26 but it's probably an anomaly. Took me 17 and I had 75/80 Vox and on Hard.

It probably took me over 20 my first playthrough and I was on Hard and had 72/80 Voxophones. Of course, I looked at every Wanted poster, took time to stop and look up at all the scenery, would walk to edges and look out at the Columbia further away. So I can easily see someone racking up a ton of playtime if they're taking it slow. I can also see people completing it really quick if all they do is run from one combat sequence to the next.

beastmode

I'm done in Emporia, but before I leave... That crypt to the right of Lady Comstock's opens if you light the torches, right? I've set fire to one, but the other refuses. Unleashing multiple maxed mana bars worth of Devil's Kiss does nothing. :(

There's also this building that required lockpicking to get into but doesn't seem to have anything in it. Just a broken elevator. What's up?

Amir0x

Banned
Okay not to scrutinize your playstyle but Bioshock Infinite does not have 26 hours of content to experience.

I am not playing the game the way a gamer does to have some arbitrary 'experience' in that sense. I am quite literally studying the game and taking notes about what I like and don't like. I am a massive admirer of the game's art direction and certain specific areas have lighting and texture work in combination that I find simply astonishing to look at.

I stop to look and read and analyze every poster, corner, far off skybox or building or whatever. I am not saying this to imply that I am simply being very exhaustive in my playthrough to find all Voxophones (although I am). I mean I am literally examing every corner of the game. I find what this game accomplished with its world design to be fascinating, even if I have some significant problems with the game design at times.

DatDude

Banned
I am not playing the game the way a gamer does to have some arbitrary 'experience' in that sense. I am quite literally studying the game and taking notes about what I like and don't like. I am a massive admirer of the game's art direction and certain specific areas have lighting and texture work in combination that I find simply astonishing to look at.

I stop to look and read and analyze every poster, corner, far off skybox or building or whatever. I am not saying this to imply that I am simply being very exhaustive in my playthrough to find all Voxophones (although I am). I mean I am literally examing every corner of the game. I find what this game accomplished with its world design to be fascinating, even if I have some significant problems with the game design at times.

What has been your favorite level/area so far atmosphere wise.

It's like you are constantly pausing a movie for a paper to pick up on every little thing. That's very interesting. I'd rather just replay it and find things I missed the first time, but your way is more efficient.

Zeliard

Yeah I put some good hours into it too on 1999 mode (difficulty will naturally play a part in game length). Steam says 22, and there are about 2 or so more hours when I played offline w/ VPN at the start, though that may be offset to an extent by being AFK sometimes.

I definitely took my sweet ass time. I always play these games in a comprehensive fashion my first time through, and try to soak in everything I can.

And yeah the art direction made it particularly difficult not to do that. In fact, the game kept reminding me of reading Promethea, and how I'd actually feel bad every time I turned the page because the art was so beautiful.

pargonta

I'm done in Emporia, but before I leave... That crypt to the right of Lady Comstock's opens if you light the torches, right? I've set fire to one, but the other refuses. Unleashing multiple maxed mana bars worth of Devil's Kiss does nothing. :(

There's also this building that required lockpicking to get into but doesn't seem to have anything in it. Just a broken elevator. What's up?

you can
bounce it off the angled banister rail so it goes straight up, next to the torch
or atleast that worked for me.

same for me for the busted elevator... i wouldve given anything for one of those apartment complexes to be really in depth exploration. however given i missed like 7 infusions... one of the housing buildings probably is.

Only played a couple of hours but really enjoying the game so far. Art direction is cool, environment is interesting, and the story is good enough to keep me attentive. In most FPS' at this point I couldn't tell you what the hell had been said by characters.

On a related note, I live in a high-rise with a huge window behind my computer and the top of a building across from me peeks over the top of my monitor. Earlier I was playing the game and briefly it was like some augmented reality or something. Need to play more during the day.

photo_zps425d2178.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
What has been your favorite level/area so far atmosphere wise.

I just got up to Emporia, but I really loved the look of the Soldier's Field area. It wasn't the most impressive of scale or anything, but the subtle colorization of the area and lighting of Columbia at nightfall was just too beautiful for words, and it was a fun little level as well.

I like some of the more showy areas too in terms of world design, like Hall of Heroes or the opening area
with the parade floats and Barbershop Quartet and such
, but some of my favorite bits are just little tiny moments. Like I mention earlier, that staircase right around the first treasurebox in the game was so amazing to me that I examined it for a full ten minutes. I took a few pictures of it, I'll try to post them later. They're literally the least spoilery photos ever since it's just of a staircase, but the guy in charge of the lighting and wood texture work for that specific area needs a raise.

DatDude

Banned
Only played a couple of hours but really enjoying the game so far. Art direction is cool, environment is interesting, and the story is good enough to keep me attentive. In most FPS' at this point I couldn't tell you what the hell had been said by characters.

On a related note, I live in a high-rise with a huge window behind my computer and the top of a building across from me peeks over the top of my monitor. Earlier I was playing the game and briefly it was like some augmented reality or something. Need to play more during the day.

thats fucking awesome :p

DatDude

Banned
I just got up to Emporia, but I really loved the look of the Soldier's Field area. It wasn't the most impressive of scale or anything, but the subtle colorization of the area and lighting of Columbia at nightfall was just too beautiful for words, and it was a fun little level as well.

I like some of the more showy areas too in terms of world design, like Hall of Heroes or the opening area
with the parade floats and Barbershop Quartet and such
, but some of my favorite bits are just little tiny moments. Like I mention earlier, that staircase right around the first treasurebox in the game was so amazing to me that I examined it for a full ten minutes. I took a few pictures of it, I'll try to post them later. They're literally the least spoilery photos ever since it's just of a staircase, but the guy in charge of the lighting and wood texture work for that specific area needs a raise.

I was personally a big fan of Hall of Heros. Gave me bit of a fort frolic feel for some reason, and I just loved looking through all those detailed exhibits.

Btw you didn't skip the part in
Shantytown
where you could
play the guitar with Liz singing in the bar
, right?

Heard some people miss it, and all I do is shake my head since it's probably one of the most touching, small, scenes in the game.

Zeliard

Like I mention earlier, that staircase right around the first treasurebox in the game was so amazing to me that I examined it for a full ten minutes. I took a few pictures of it, I'll try to post them later. They're literally the least spoilery photos ever since it's just of a staircase, but the guy in charge of the lighting and wood texture work for that specific area needs a raise.

iKupcDfFxSDsW.png

I don't know. I'm a little over 20 hours if Steam is to be believed and I'm still in
Comstock House
. I've been searching everything though and back tracked occasionally. I'm not taking notes or anything. I do tend to take smoke breaks during long gameplay sessions and sometimes my cats interrupt me.

Amir0x

Banned
I was personally a big fan of Hall of Heros. Gave me bit of a fort frolic feel for some reason, and I just loved looking through all those detailed exhibits.

Btw you didn't
skip the part in Shantytown where you could play the guitar with Liz singing in the bar, right?

Heard some people miss it, and all I do is shake my head since it's probably one of the most touching, small, scenes in the game.

Ack, spoiler tag that friend! (Edit: I see you did. Good shit)

I actually wasn't too enamored with that scene, it is a pretty clear cut example of the game's heavy handedness at times. Elizabeth taking on a sort of
Snow white, defender of the poor and disenfranchised
role in that moment, and it just felt unnatural. Like a moment cut out of a Disney film or something.

The moment I felt was infinitely more effective was in the same area, when
the Vox Populi are attacking the area and the sounds of battle consume all around you, and one sad lonely black lady is sitting down with her hands clasped in open gospel prayer, singing a soul revival of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son." The lyrics of the song in the context of what was happening and what the game was trying to say was quite effective and haunting.

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no.
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no.

Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord,
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"

Zeliard said:

Naw, not the right one. The area I am thinking of has wood paneled boundaries around the passageway and really ornate looking wood bannister. They all have a wavy wood pattern to it.

Btw you didn't skip the part in Shantytown where you could play the guitar with Liz singing in the bar, right?

I found that scene to be a bit odd, tbh. Just the way it's introduced, and it's just a bit TOO obviously cute. Didn't really fly with me.

DukeBobby

Unless you avoid the bar completely, I don't know how it's possible to miss it. Liz even points it out to you when you go into the basement.

Papercuts

I found that scene to be a bit odd, tbh. Just the way it's introduced, and it's just a bit TOO obviously cute. Didn't really fly with me.

Felt too tryhard to me too.

Then again
I also shot the lady singing in shantytown later, so maybe I just lack a soul.

Zeliard

I found it a bit odd that you couldn't see Booker
holding and playing the guitar at all
. Times like that I was wishing for some of Far Cry 2/3's first-person physicality.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I found it a bit odd that you couldn't see Booker holding and playing the guitar at all. Times like that I was wishing for some of Far Cry 2/3's first-person physicality.

The worst omission of any scene though is
why the hell could I not look down and see Anna in my arms? They lost me big time during that scene. How much more heartbreaking would it have been to be able to look down and see this baby in your arms and then have to hand her away. So stupid to not have that.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Papercuts

I found it a bit odd that you couldn't see Booker
holding and playing the guitar at all
. Times like that I was wishing for some of Far Cry 2/3's first-person physicality.

That always stuck out to me riding skyrails too.

Zeliard

The worst omission of any scene though is
why the hell could I not look down and see Anna in my arms? They lost me big time during that scene. How much more heartbreaking would it have been to be able to look down and see this baby in your arms and then have to hand her away. So stupid to not have that.

Yeah, I really think Bioshock in general needs to take a few cues from the Ubi Far Cry games in that area, because if nothing else, those games really nail the sense of being in a physical body in first-person. The Bioshock series puts a premium on immersion and there are a lot of moments when that sort of thing would have a strongly positive impact.

Amir0x

Banned
I know, I was just giving it as an example of an area I also stopped and admired for a moment despite the fact that it was basically an inconsequential place.

Ah, I got you. Yeah, that's precisely what I'm talking about. So much of these areas are rather inconsequential to the larger picture, but were given clear loving care in the visual sense. It's often breathtaking even when you least expect it to be.

I love this game's art direction so fucking much. They just need to work on the people a little bit and give 'em a bit more variety, even though they did nail it with Elizabeth's design I thought.

I thought you guys might appreciate this GIF I made. Video coming up soon.

iM4wsLB9tbh3v.gif

Haha, that's awesome.

Top Bottom