• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Zia

"God Only Knows" is the greatest pop song ever. When that moment happened I turned to my boyfriend and said, "This is my game." So nice.

Dartastic

"God Only Knows" is the greatest pop song ever. When that moment happened I turned to my boyfriend and said, "This is my game." So nice.
Speaking of music, The Songbird theme is unbelievable. It's easily one of my favorite pieces of game music, ever. Especially when you take it in context.

Andrew.

Banned
Speaking of music, The Songbird theme is unbelievable. It's easily one of my favorite pieces of game music, ever. Especially when you take it in context.

Are you a fan of Johnny Greenwoods music in the film "There Will Be Blood"?

Infinites soundtrack borrows heavily from it, especially Songbirds theme.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Are you a fan of Johnny Greenwoods music in the film "There Will Be Blood"?

Infinites soundtrack borrows heavily from it, especially Songbirds theme.

I watched The Master the other day. I was thinking "Wow, the music on this film is great; I wonder who made it?"

Lo and Behold, it was Master Greenwood. I swear, everything that guy touches is gold.

vladdamad

The versatility of the combat of this game really reminds me of Darksiders II. Gaf seemed really down on that one, I personally loved it. You could play the game in so many different ways, focus on magic, or weapon crafting, or maybe a bit of both. Looking forward to this sort of experimentation on my second run of Infinite, hopefully on 1999 mode

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fuck. Just started it and the religious choir that plays once you enter Columbia already got me. So beautiful. Damn, I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff though...

Even on a replay that area really shines to me. I fucking love the water going down the stairs mixed with the music.

All the enemies essentially move the same. The presentation is essentially the same. The graphics are essentially the same. The only major additions I see are skyhooking and this AI following you. I hated the skyhooking, I dreaded it every time I saw it. I thought at the very least with tears that you could look in them and panorama view inside them to get a glimpse at another world, but they are all essentially empty filters. That would have had at the very least taken some dev time to implement. The gameplay tears are also something new, but aren't difficult to implement.

From a technical perspective it seems all the dev time went into the story, which seems like a hell of a waste. Since, I have seen much shorter dev times for games with better stories.
"Hey, Bungie, why can't you just port over the geometry of Lockout and add new textures???? Should be pretty easy!"
I was watching a video of Infinite just now and saw the player press the button to show objective arrow. I didn't even use it once.

I forgot it was even in the game.

did any of you use it? this game doesn't even need it.
I used it more as a tool of what to explore more than I did figuring out where to go.
i don't really listen to the Beach Boys so that song completely went over my head.
Beach Boys are great! You should listen to some songs.
It's a great song, but there are a couple of pop songs from that era that I like more, like Walk Like a Man.

My favorite song is a pop song, so I like that more than I like God Only Knows too.

paully

Banned
Sorry to hear that. The injection of well-known 60s/70s songs and melodies was one of my favourite parts of BI.

Indeed. I love anachronisms like this. I remember just standing there (minor minor spoiler)
enjoying the A Capella group playing "God Only Knows."
Such a fantastic aspect of Infinite.

beastmode

I don't think they saw this one coming.

ibaO8bjmkoyKXK.gif
ZOMDkzm.gif

And yes, this is the ugliest .gif you've ever seen.

theytookourjobz

I think God Only Knows is the theme song to Big Love on HBO as well. Great song.

And holy shit the melee kills are so brutal. Elizabeth's reaction to them makes them even better/worse.

Dylan

I feel like Winter Shield will practically be a necessity during the finale. I cant believe I have never, ever found it.

This has probably been asked before, but now that I've beaten the game, I sort of wonder why I never got any of the preorder stuff? Did you have to do anything to get them?

This has probably been asked before, but now that I've beaten the game, I sort of wonder why I never got any of the preorder stuff? Did you have to do anything to get them?

Yeah the distribution of the season pass stuff is bullshit. I just bought it part way through my 1999 playthroughs, figuring i was for sure playing the DLC anyway and also that I could use the help in some of these balls hard battles. And it turns it out if you don't pick them up in the blue ribbon restaurant, you don't get them at all. All I have are the golden guns - no infusion (what I really needed), no extra gear, nothing. The FAQ says its supposed to just show up in my inventory but its not there

Damn :(

Andrew.

Banned
Hey Andrew., was your disappearing Handyman the one in Emporia by any chance?

That was someone else who said their HM disappeared. I actually really enjoyed that battle though in the thoroughfare. It was much more spacious than outside of the factory and 10x more fun for me.

Gaf, what comes with songbird edition ofthe game. Premium package plus statue? Not sure if statue alone is worth the other $70

Premium plus the Big Bird

I feel like Winter Shield will practically be a necessity during the finale. I cant believe I have never, ever found it.

It was for me. Although it's activation was iffy for me. Sometimes I would grab onto a skyline and have to drop off again before it activated.

I was able to use a different method that the Shawn combo for the other battles, though. Return to Sender is a...well, Godsend.

Andrew.

Banned
It was for me. Although it's activation was iffy for me. Sometimes I would grab onto a skyline and have to drop off again before it activated.

I was able to use a different method that the Shawn combo for the other battles, though. Return to Sender is a...well, Godsend.

Are you the one that said to place the Return to Sender traps on
the ships core so that it absorbs all the bullets that are being fired at it? I think thats a fucking great idea and I am totally trying it

the ships core so that it absorbs all the bullets that are being fired at it? I think thats a fucking great idea and I am totally trying it

No but that idea sounds ridiculously awesome.

FStop7

Banned
On the whole I adored this game. I think the shooting wasn't super good but that's completely eclipsed by the very personal story told in the game.

My two biggest gripes (PS3 version):

Using the square button for everything: Reloading, searching containers and corpses, picking stuff up, and accepting Elizabeth's assists. All tied to the same button.

In combat I died numerous times because instead of reloading when pressing square I was instead presented with the inventory of a nearby corpse or container, or I accepted some salts or health from Elizabeth due to the hovering prompt when what I really needed to do was reload my goddamn gun. I had to redo a couple of long fight sequences (especially vs. Patriots) because of this problem.

The other issue is being hit from multiple directions at once without clear indications. The threat indicator was often wrong or too vague. It got to the point where most vigors were useless to me since they only helped me deal with what was in front of me - meanwhile I'd be hit in the back by something else. In the late game I was using almost nothing other than a combination of Charge and a shotgun simply because Charge let me quickly move around the combat area, thus minimizing attacks from the side and rear. It was effective, but it was also repetitious and boring. I really wanted to be able to use combos of vigors in creative ways, but the game did not really lend itself to that. At least not on Hard difficulty.

I'm about half way through and I'm a little frustrated by the stark differences between the gameplay demos from this past year and the finished product. Entire section that were previewed have been completely removed or changed. The decision making system seems to have been completely removed as it was during the E3 demo. Things like "stop the execution" or "save the horse". Now I'm just blindly fighting waves of enemies trying to get to the next part of the story.

I'm sure my views will evolve as I finish up the game but I'm really struggling from some bait and switch feelings.

To be completely honest, so far I like Dishonored a whole lot better than this game (gameplay wise).

Neverfade

I'm probably not the only one to have the idea but I recommended it to someone last night several pages ago.

pakkit

Banned
Playing this game a second time. It's incredible how much story content you can miss if you're running through this (a likely scenario, given the urgency with which the plot is conveyed).

At this point, the only real sour point I'm stuck on is that fighting the Handymen is not fun in any way. Their movement is wholly unpredictable, and the general consensus seems to be that the best way to fight them is to run, pepper a few shots in, and then run some more. Compared to the other enemies, where the game hands you a bevy of powers and encourages you to experiment, here you aren't really granted that leeway.

Where do you feel a bait and switch, Wiicast? There are more open arenas in the campaign, and there are small decision making prompts in the game, although it's not nearly as important to the central narrative as the original Bioshock.

Zeliard

It's an unpopular opinion, I know, but I wish there were more Handyman fights. Every time one of those dudes showed up, it was like, "it's fucking ON."

I do think you need the Skyrail in those fights, because that's what makes them fun. The first Handyman fight is kinda dumb since your movement is limited.

It's an unpopular opinion, I know, but I wish there were more Handyman fights. Every time one of those dudes showed up, it was like, "it's fucking ON."

I do think you need the Skyrail in those fights, because that's what makes them fun. The first Handyman fight is kinda dumb since your movement is limited.

I thought the handyman ratio was fine, but I felt they should have used a better environment to fight them in.

The Emporia handyman fight was my favorite

beastmode

That's what the hooks are for.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm probably not the only one to have the idea but I recommended it to someone last night several pages ago.

Now that i think about it, looking at your avatar Im pretty sure it was you that I saw suggest it. Did that plan actually end up working really well for you?

DukeBobby

This strategy works perfectly, and should be used by anybody who is having problems.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not having as much difficulty with 1999 as I expected to. I started the game on Hard the first time and was overwhelmed and had to drop it down but '99 is OK with knowledge of the game. I had also never seen the animation for Elizabeth using the syringe to revive Booker before playing on '99.

DukeBobby

Do they eventually wear out and you need to place fresh ones or will they permanently stay there?

I used 3 and they did eventually wear out, but by the time they did, the fight was nearly over. This was on Hard, so I'm guessing you'll have to use a few more on 1999 mode.

Andrew.

Banned
I used 3 and they did eventually wear out, but by the time they did, the fight was nearly over. This was on Hard, so I'm guessing you'll have to use a few more on 1999 mode.

Okay. My plan is to do that, use the Shawn combo and
take out the zeppelins myself while the Bird takes out everything on deck
Hopefully Ill be okay.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not having as much difficulty with 1999 as I expected to. I started the game on Hard the first time and was overwhelmed and had to drop it down but '99 is OK with knowledge of the game. I had also never seen the animation for Elizabeth using the syringe to revive Booker before playing on '99.

1999 mode is killing me. I'm just outside the Blue Ribbon on the rooftops where you get attacked by two squads of cops. I cannot beat them, and I have less than $100 so I die and stay dead.

It really sucks how it dumps you back to the main menu when you die with less than $100. It takes forever to reload the game. Just put me back at the last auto save.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

There's videos on youtube of people beating the battle without it.

But yes it does practically guarantee victory. I think the generator thingy still had 50% health by the end of it all lol

DatDude

Banned
I'm about half way through and I'm a little frustrated by the stark differences between the gameplay demos from this past year and the finished product. Entire section that were previewed have been completely removed or changed. The decision making system seems to have been completely removed as it was during the E3 demo. Things like "stop the execution" or "save the horse". Now I'm just blindly fighting waves of enemies trying to get to the next part of the story.

I'm sure my views will evolve as I finish up the game but I'm really struggling from some bait and switch feelings.

To be completely honest, so far I like Dishonored a whole lot better than this game (gameplay wise).

For what it's worth those demo's were just linear tech demo's showing what they were aiming for.

Ken said it himself that after the e3 showing, they were like "oh shit, now we actually to have make a game"

These were just vertical slices of what they wanted to do, and due to console restraints probably couldn't do.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm about to enter
the police station to get chen lin's tools
and... I'm actually kind of bored. The shooting is decent and I like the fact that there are multiple ways to approach a set piece... but there's really nothing else to the game it seems. An endless set of samey challenge rooms, with Elizabeth occasionally talking a few lines in between. Nothing of interest happened in the last four hours, and you're just being strung along for no apparent reason. Terrible games like Call of Duty at least drastically change the scenery. After a truly excellent beginning, I would now reward the game somewhere around a six at most. I fully expect my grade to be higher come the ending, but I can't see this getting a ten, or anyone awarding it. Or maybe I'm just burned out on FPS games forever.

Coxswain

I'm about to enter
the police station to get chen lin's tools
and... I'm actually kind of bored. The shooting is decent and I like the fact that there are multiple ways to approach a set piece... but there's really nothing else to the game it seems. An endless set of samey challenge rooms, with Elizabeth occasionally talking a few lines in between. Nothing of interest happened in the last four hours, and you're just being strung along for no apparent reason. Terrible games like Call of Duty at least drastically change the scenery. After a truly excellent beginning, I would now reward the game somewhere around a six at most. I fully expect my grade to be higher come the ending, but I can't see this getting a ten, or anyone awarding it. Or maybe I'm just burned out on FPS games forever.

It probably isn't going to turn all the way around for you or anything, but if it helps, you are definitely at the low point of the game. Everything from
Elizabeth whanging you in the head with a wrench
up until you reach the point where that whole little detour comes full circle kind of felt like the message was "We can't sell this game for $60 if we don't have a couple more hours of shooting".

Top Bottom