• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DukeBobby

I'm about to enter
the police station to get chen lin's tools
and... I'm actually kind of bored. The shooting is decent and I like the fact that there are multiple ways to approach a set piece... but there's really nothing else to the game it seems. An endless set of samey challenge rooms, with Elizabeth occasionally talking a few lines in between. Nothing of interest happened in the last four hours, and you're just being strung along for no apparent reason. Terrible games like Call of Duty at least drastically change the scenery. After a truly excellent beginning, I would now reward the game somewhere around a six at most. I fully expect my grade to be higher come the ending, but I can't see this getting a ten, or anyone awarding it. Or maybe I'm just burned out on FPS games forever.

And this game doesn't? I don't see how you can possibly think this.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah it helps; I'm definitely gonna keep on playing anyway. I'm just overly sensitive to being strung along. I actually prefer if a game is only 5 hours but consistently fresh than when they make it ten hours to improve value for money.

Grinchy

Banned
For some weird reason, I am turning on every sink I can find as I play through the game. It reminds me of the robber from Home Alone who thought that was a cool way to leave a house after he robbed it.

DatDude

Banned
I'm about to enter
the police station to get chen lin's tools
and... I'm actually kind of bored. The shooting is decent and I like the fact that there are multiple ways to approach a set piece... but there's really nothing else to the game it seems. An endless set of samey challenge rooms, with Elizabeth occasionally talking a few lines in between. Nothing of interest happened in the last four hours, and you're just being strung along for no apparent reason. Terrible games like Call of Duty at least drastically change the scenery. After a truly excellent beginning, I would now reward the game somewhere around a six at most. I fully expect my grade to be higher come the ending, but I can't see this getting a ten, or anyone awarding it. Or maybe I'm just burned out on FPS games forever.

Wut.

I'd say keep playing, but that comparison just makes it sound like you never really clicked with Infinite from the get go.

Andrew.

Banned
For some weird reason, I am turning on every sink I can find as I play through the game. It reminds me of the robber from Home Alone who thought that was a cool way to leave a house after he robbed it.

So Booker is a new member of The Wet Bandits? =P

edit: FUCK! beaten

The only time I ever turned anything on is at one point during the game, there's a bathtub with a bunch of candles in it. So you bet your ass I turned on that tub and put out all the candles. It's a safety hazard to leave them burning! (Ignore my throwing Devil's Kisses everywhere immediately after.)

Grinchy

Banned
The only time I ever turned anything on is at one point during the game, there's a bathtub with a bunch of candles in it. So you bet your ass I turned on that tub and put out all the candles. It's a safety hazard to leave them burning! (Ignore my throwing Devil's Kisses everywhere immediately after.)

This post becomes even better after reading your username.

Andrew.

Banned
Final tri boss battle done in Emporia.

It took less than a minute. I was laughing my ass off.

Shawn Combo for the fucking win.

Syrinx

I accidentally opened that thread about 'L' (whatever that is) in another tab earlier. I realized what it was just as I clicked on it, and was able to look away.

Man, that was a close call.

For what it's worth those demo's were just linear tech demo's showing what they were aiming for.

Ken said it himself that after the e3 showing, they were like "oh shit, now we actually to have make a game"

These were just vertical slices of what they wanted to do, and due to console restraints probably couldn't do.

Maybe - but with living, breathing interaction like THIS shown in 2011, I'm honestly disappointed in the direction the game went to being more "generic action shooter with ziplines" wrapped around a riveting story. I loved the first Bioshock because it provided NEW gameplay options to a tired genere with a story that didn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I just don't get the same feeling with Infinite. I feel like the early demos were incredible. I would have loved to actively participate in the turmoil of the Vox Populi and the founders instead of being shuffled from one checkpoint to the next.

There's always the board game for that, I guess.

As far as my Dishonored comparison in my last post... All the elements of what could have been are in both games and it's a shame that they picked the opposing best parts of each.

Edit: forgot link

It's an unpopular opinion, I know, but I wish there were more Handyman fights. Every time one of those dudes showed up, it was like, "it's fucking ON."

I do think you need the Skyrail in those fights, because that's what makes them fun. The first Handyman fight is kinda dumb since your movement is limited.
It's probably that way to introduce the players to the HMs, then the fights get more complicated as time goes on. I've only fought one so far, so I could be wrong.
Even the music in this game seems like it was copped from LOST.

http://youtu.be/Jmexdohuok4?t=44s
http://youtu.be/7DgYAQJ5RAM?t=1m41s
I can see how they're similar, but I wouldn't say one is copped.

t-ramp

This is an awesome reference. Forget Elizabeth, Marv would be a hilarious companion.

Was gonna use this, but I'm sticking to Walt

Anyone want it?

w61qvsT.png

mileS

1999 mode is killing me. I'm just outside the Blue Ribbon on the rooftops where you get attacked by two squads of cops. I cannot beat them, and I have less than $100 so I die and stay dead.

It really sucks how it dumps you back to the main menu when you die with less than $100. It takes forever to reload the game. Just put me back at the last auto save.

If money is so limited on that mode why wouldn't you press start the second you die and reload checkpoint? I understand the checkpoint system can be annoying sometimes, sending you back 15-20 min. But yea. If I do 1999 mode I'll probably just reload checkpoints more instead of wasting money.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The 'defend the airship core' section just made me ragequit. There's no indication of how badly the core is being hit, is there? I keep getting to the zeppelin part and it gives me the black screen and tells me to fuck off.

DukeBobby

The 'defend the airship core' section just made me ragequit. There's no indication of how badly the core is being hit, is there? I keep getting to the zeppelin part and it gives me the black screen and tells me to fuck off.

Do this:

Are you the one that said to place the Return to Sender traps on
the ships core so that it absorbs all the bullets that are being fired at it? I think thats a fucking great idea and I am totally trying it

Trust me, it works.

Zeliard

It's probably that way to introduce the players to the HMs, then the fights get more complicated as time goes on. I've only fought one so far, so I could be wrong.

The hooks are a way of getting the player accustomed to getting up off the ground before they give you the full-blown Skyline to really play with. But I think it makes for a poor introduction to the Handyman. The first Handyman fight is the least interesting and potentially most frustrating one on harder difficulties since you don't have access to the Skyline.

kurahador

I accidentally opened that thread about 'L' (whatever that is) in another tab earlier. I realized what it was just as I clicked on it, and was able to look away.

Man, that was a close call.

I'm in the middle of Emporia at the moment but doesn't it count as spoiler by mentioning "L"? Coz I'm wondering if he's referring to that certain wtf out-of-place character.

FWIW I love that gear is randomized.

I picked up the same gear in-game that I already got from season pass. Damn I hate random.

Man, I'm really hoping I can pick up the requisite gear for the sean combo.

FWIW I love that gear is randomized.

I posted an alternative to the Shawn Combo in the spoiler thread that I used in my 1999 playthrough that worked like a charm. I'll put it in spoilers here, but it's basically used for "those fights" near the end of the game and I didn't have any trouble at all.

Fully upgraded Murder of Crows, Possession, Devil's Kiss (although Possession wasn't used)
Return to Sender (with Sender for Less upgrade)
Carbine with both Damage Boosts & Recoil Mod
Hand Cannon with both Damage Boosts
Storm Hat gear, Blood to Salt Vest gear, Overkill Pants gear, Urgent Care Boots gear

When she started summoning people, I loaded up Murder of Crows, threw it out. Switched to Devil's Kiss, threw one out. With the full upgrade plus Storm most of the dudes would be wiped out and stay down. As she was moving to the next one, I pulled up Return to Sender and kept it going, so it picking up any straggler's bullets as I shot at her. When she started summoning a new set, I would throw the Sender charge at her, switch back to Murder of Crows, rinse and repeat. Didn't die once, she was dead within two minutes, and with the Blood to Salt gear I never ran out of Salt.

Danny-Boy

I'm a few hours in but I can safely say they've ruined the Bioshock franchise. I can't believe how linear this game is, there's absolutely no sense of exploration. Where's my map with all the hidden secrets to explore? Where is the hacking? All I've done is shoot the same looking police officers over and over with an occasional turret. The skyhook is pretty cool but not enough to save this disappointment. I'm crushed, didn't see this coming.

beastmode

I can see how they're similar, but I wouldn't say one is copped.
That sound was felt like it was played before just about every commercial break on Lost. And there it is, in one of BioShock Infinite's what a twist moments.

There's some more but I'm too lazy to look for corresponding tracks right now.

RoKKeR

Gonna start a new playthrough on Normal today because I'm a huge bitch and don't like challenge.

I want to experience it again. And again. And again. Tempted to snag an Infinite avatar.

Dartastic

I'm a few hours in but I can safely say they've ruined the Bioshock franchise. I can't believe how linear this game is, there's absolutely no sense of exploration. Where's my map with all the hidden secrets to explore? Where is the hacking? All I've done is shoot the same looking police officers over and over with an occasional turret. The skyhook is pretty cool but not enough to save this disappointment. I'm crushed, didn't see this coming.
I can safely say that I think you don't understand what the Bioshock franchise is about. it's not about exploration and crappy hacking. The themes are the major reason that Bioshock is special.

kurahador

Bioshock to me is always about exploring the narratives/mysteries--finding tapes/voxophone and learn the story of that particular room/characters for example. Not finding cool hidden room with items in it.

And removing the map is a great idea as it encourage you to explore as much as possible.

MNC

Finally finished the game, first playthrough, on hard. I died SO many times, i dropped to zero cash from 800 once. I definitely need to do more upgrading.

Story is SUBLIME. Ken IS God and King. Gameplay was great too, but bossbattles on hard... handymen gave mr so much trouble. So glad they didnt show up on the ship.

Andrew.

Banned
1999 mode is killing me. I'm just outside the Blue Ribbon on the rooftops where you get attacked by two squads of cops. I cannot beat them, and I have less than $100 so I die and stay dead.

It really sucks how it dumps you back to the main menu when you die with less than $100. It takes forever to reload the game. Just put me back at the last auto save.

There's fireworks barrels all over the place in that area. Blow em up and thatll take care of the cops. Also, use Possession on the turret beforehand.

Dartastic

Incredible how easy it was.
What's the specific Shawn combo you guys are talking about?

Edit: NM, found it. Here it is for a new page.

PSA: The Shawn Combo

Charge + Charge Aid + Explosive upgrade
Electric Punch
Last Man Standing
Vampires Embrace
Blood to Salt

...I'll have to find some of those.

Andrew.

Banned
What's the specific Shawn combo you guys are talking about?

cot damn

This is the last time Im gonna post this =P

Charge + Charge Aid + the explosive upgrade
Elec Punch
Vamp Embrace
Last Man Standing
Blood To Salt

Enjoy =D

Thank you Shawn. Mo money, mo money, mo money.

Top Bottom